Video: 8-year-old’s controversial message to Michele Bachmann

1. Christopher Kay 6 Dec 2011, 3:42pm

I’m not entirely sure that the mother told the child to say that. Maybe Elijah told his mum that message at home and his mum told him to tell the evil Bachmann himself… Either way, children shouldn’t be used to get political messages across. You only have to look at the Westboro Baptist Church to realise that.

2. you can see that she made him do it, look at the way she was like “don’t you have something to say”?
    yeah…. lovely to do that to your child!

1. FeministSmithie 6 Dec 2011, 6:14pm

Give the kid more credit! I know I certainly had strong opinions when I was 8, uninfluenced by my parents beliefs…

1. The kid has my credit, the parent doesn’t!

1. MyLyricalDreams 7 Dec 2011, 5:09pm

@FeministSmithie – No, I’m sorry. Tina is right. The boy should never have been prompted to speak to Bachmann. She put him on the spot and perhaps he didn’t want to feel like he was letting his Mummy down. If he wanted to do, absolutely let him! But don’t TELL him to.

3. Saying the mother “used” her son and “told” him to say that is really underestimating childrens’ intelligence. There are a lot of things kids get to grips with that adults don’t think they can understand, and I don’t find it at all absurd that little Elijah thought that sentence up all by himself. People who think children aren’t able to form thoughts for themselves really need to examine their own intelligence.

4. de Villiers 6 Dec 2011, 4:08pm

I have an adopted son who attends primary school. I would never make him part of a public, political statement. He’s still only a boy.

Children are able properly to have their own thoughts, but they are heavily influenced by their parents. My son will do and say things that I tell him. It is highly unlikely that a young child would say something to a strange adult if not encouraged or instructed to do so by their parent.

I consider that Michelle Bachman is an ignorant and unpleasant woman. However, I would never allow my child to become part of one my political arguments and think it unfortunate, to put it no higher, that another parent has done so.

1. MyLyricalDreams 7 Dec 2011, 5:07pm

Absolutely.

5. God Bless the children for they shall inherit the earth.

6. You can tell who the hateful Christians are who hate LGBT people by the negative post they put here about LGBT people. Some say things that are confusing and some say things in a covert way to seem like they are gay but in fact they are Christians who hate gays and pretend to be gay when in fact they are working for the Catholic Church to make trouble for LGBT people, you know like stop LGBT people from getting married and stopping gays any way they can. I know about them because I am gay and I am also a Christian who knows who these Christian haters are and what they are doing to LGBT people. These evil Christians smile in your face and then stab you in the back, watch out for them.

1. Noones really said anything negative about LGBT people on this thread?

7. Whilst I wouldnt support deliberately using young children as a political message, my perception is that this was one of those “out of the mouths of babes” moments … and mum may have heard it and asked the child if he wanted to say it to the woman (perhaps after Bachmann being discussed on TV or at home)

8. Whatever, it totally screwed Bachmann’s photo op one-to-one with a child, not at all what she was expecting to hear,.
    Bachmann is such a massive numpty, but she’s also really scary for anyone let alone a small child so well done Elijah!

9. ha ha! As if politicians would never ‘use’ a child for their own purposes
    Good payback and the look on her face was worth it.

10. colonelkira 6 Dec 2011, 5:50pm

An embarrassment to the rest of us gay parents who take our responsibilites seriously.

This kind of behaviour by the mother just gives ammunition to insane bigots like Bachmann.

Making it worse!

11. Commander Thor 6 Dec 2011, 5:52pm

There’s a storm coming, anyone?

12. benpinwang 6 Dec 2011, 5:57pm

Ms Bachmann wants to grab political power so she can break up families that have gay people in them and loving couples who are gay. I don’t know who gave her that idea, Hitler?

13. Not good publicity…for anybody….

14. Lord knows I’m not Ms Bachmann’s biggest fan, but I’m not wild about this young man’s mother, either. Sure, it’s good to see Bachmann confronted on her utterly revolting opinions, but using a clearly uncomfortable child to get a message across is… well, it leaves a bitter aftertaste.

15. Jennifer Macara 6 Dec 2011, 6:48pm

I recorded this video. When we were in line, his mom got nervous, said to me that she decided against saying something to Michele. But then when we went to leave, Elijah pulled on her coat. He made her stay in line because he wanted to say something to her.

When I was little, I did ballet. I would get nervous, but my mom would push me, still. Is she a bad parent for not letting me give into fear? Parents push kids to do the right thing all the time.

1. I really wish that I could thumbs up this again :L

1. I did a thumbs up for you and me.

1. de Villiers 7 Dec 2011, 9:03am

Perhaps, but I will try to protect my boy’s innocence for as long as I can. It can be hard enough to protect him as it is.

2. MyLyricalDreams 7 Dec 2011, 5:05pm

Yes. it is wrong. Children should be nurtured and protected. Not used. If he really wanted to tell Bachmann about his opinion, he should have been allowed to do unprompted.

16. I’m not sure why anyone is complaining. Clearly this boy loves his gay mother and wants that nasty Bachmann bastard to know how appalling her views are. This is not a political point, it’s an expression of fundamental human decency. This is not about election campaigns, it’s about telling bigots that they are wrong, unacceptable, and nasty, You don’t have to be older than eight to know when someone is trying to hurt the people you love. That’s the point.

1. Derek Wain 6 Dec 2011, 11:44pm

It is shameful for gay activists to exploit and manipulate a 8-year-old to advance their radical homosexual agenda. “Gay marriage” is an oxymoron, since marriage means “a permanent union between one woman and man.”
      For 5000 years, “marriage” has meant “a contract between one man and one woman”, not some other random combination of humans because it feels good. That definition of marriage is the bedrock of human society. MB’s response meant that society should not endorse gay marriage by giving it the high status of “marriage”. Ignore the perverted and false “interpretations” of her comments by gay media bloggers. She remains the most principled Constitutional Conservative on the American political stage.

1. “radical homosexual agenda”

Lunatic paranoid and silly statement. Ergo, the rest is nonsense.

2. Marriage should feel good. What’s the point otherwise.

3. You are as historically ignorant as you are woefully prejudiced.

4. Gay marriage has been around since the Roman Empire, around the time of Nemo.
        Bachmann is a neo-con. Then again so Is Obama.

2. de Villiers 7 Dec 2011, 9:03am

17. From the mouths of babes…

18. Chester3669 7 Dec 2011, 10:17am

youtube users are overwhelmingly idiots, like on many things they tend to attack and denigrate
    it’s excellent the kid spoke up

19. When I was as young as 6 I was preaching to other kids and even grown-ups about Jesus etc. because I saw my parents doing it and they were passionate about it. My parents did not have to force me. I was speaking for myself based on my reality.

Of course, I am no longer Christian but the point is, children take cues from the parents, they observe life, they feel just as protective of their families and beliefs as anyone else.

He loves his mom. His mom is a lesbian. He is obviously aware Ms. Bachman hurts people like his mum either through hearing it directly or seeing her bigoted words make his mom angry. He spoke his mind to her. Plain and simple.

20. The Christians are trolling the internet with their propaganda, be on the look out for them.

The only people who need “fixing” are Michele Bachmann and these gay hating right wing Christian terrrorist.

1. de Villiers 8 Dec 2011, 3:49pm

Michelle Bachmann is not a terrorist. Terrorists kill and maim innocent people. Michelle Bachmann is a politician, albeit an unpleasant and unintelligent one.

21. MyLyricalDreams 7 Dec 2011, 5:02pm

I’m sorry but in this case, I fully believe that she used her son.

He may have actually believed what he said to Bachmann, but pushing him to say it to her was wrong. If the young boy had felt strongly enough to say it directly to the abhorrent woman, then he should have done so, UNPROMPTED.

A lot of politicians have absolutely been known to use their children to further their own agenda and ambition, that does not mean we should resort to their low levels.

The problem is that we don’t know the boy or his intellectual capabilities, and we can hardly rely on the mother to be unbiased.

My honest opinion – I wish she hadn’t taken that approach with her son.

1. Didn’t an earlier comment state that the kid went back and said it, even though the mum said she wasn’t going to?

22. Personally I see no evidence the mother asked he little boy to say anything. If she did persuade him to say it then it’s wrong. I have worked with children of this age and so I know a child of 8 is very capable having their own opinion and so it is very possible it was his own idea and his mother was merely encouraging him to speak to this woman.

So don’t underestimate Elijah nor make assumptions from a 40 second video

23. For any one interested here is the video of Michelle Bachmann in action!