Interview: Russell T Davies on shelving US projects, his partner’s cancer diagnosis and coming home

1. Here’s a man who knows what the real priorities are in life. My heart goes out to both him and his partner.

1. same here. I hope russels partner makes a full recovery. Am i allowed to say i loved this article apart from the obvious.

2. Sending warm wishes and postive thoughts to Russell and Andrew. Thank you for such an open and sensitively written item.

3. I’m pleased Russell and his Partner turned to Science & Technology for help instead of leaving it to the Church to claim that the Brain Cancer is gone by claiming they’ve got rid of the evil etc…..

Get well soon x

1. Not really sure that the church is relevant to this story in the slightest …

1. @ Stu,

I was trying to say that I love how the church people claim they can cure things,where as Science are trying their hardest to make other peoples lives better .

No worries I know what I’m trying to say in my bazire way .

1. @jbd

Fair enough with your opinion … just not convinced this was the story to debate it on …

2. You are trying to kick off a circle jerk to feel good about your prejudices by riding the coat-tails of some ill guy. Please stop.

4. Couldn’t agree more about the priorities. I really hope Andrew makes a full recovery. I will be forever grateful to Russell for bringing back Dr Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane, but I am so glad that he is the kind of man who will put his partner’s health before everything. Sending my very best wishes and love to both of them x

5. My sincerest feelings go out to a couple who need each others strength more than ever – all positive wishing go out to you both -

6. I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to meet Russell in person. A more kind and gracious person I’ve yet to meet. I wish his partner and full and speedy recovery.

1. I totally agree Julia. I fondly remember that unexpected meeting. With a partner as devoted as Russell is, Andrew has a strong foundation for his recovery. Wishing Andrew a swift return to full health and strength for them both during this difficult time.

7. I echo all of the comments and hope Andres a full recovery and Russell you are brilliant keep up the great work. Where would we be without you

1. I obviously meant Andrew

8. Sorry to hear what they are going through. Also sad about Torchwood, the 4th season was a greater sucess than he gives it credit.

I hope for a speedy recovery and return to normality for them

1. For TV a success is ratings numbers it must have rated poorly regardless of how good it was. I also send my best wishes for a swift recovery.

9. Heather Taylor-Nicholson 5 Dec 2011, 1:11pm

I am so sorry to read this! I have a brain tumour that has cost me a 32 year career in nursing but I am lucky it is benign, although still with the capacity to do great harm as it grows. My heart goes out to both Russell and Andrew. I hope Andrew will be able to get prompt treatment and that his malignant tumour can be treated. If any of you feel the need to make a contribution or are in a similar situation, there are Brain Tumour charities out there, such as Hammer Out, Brain Tumour UK, Sandra Dickson Brain Tumour Charity and others which do a great deal to lend support and help.

I wish them both well.

10. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 5 Dec 2011, 1:15pm

Yes, best wishes for a speedy recovery to Andrew. What a rubbish thing to have been diagnosed with, makes my MGus pale.

Russell is such an icon for our community but can’t help but feel his work on Doctor Who turned it into utter twaddle. I have a great love of the sci-fi genre (an entire Universe of possibilities!) but I think Russell forgot Dr Who was a sci-fi brand when he turned out scripts for some sort of kitchen sink drama with its overly sentimental but easy-to-grasp plots and easy-to-spot baddies, and the will-they won’t-they with his companions, not to mention the yawnsome guilt for the people he had killed along the way… zzzz

Thankfully we’ll always have Queer as Folk, although don’t mention the second series, it was awful.

11. jamestoronto 5 Dec 2011, 2:07pm

Hoping for Andrew’s full and quick recovery and wishing the best to Russell & Andrew both.

12. Good thoughts going out to Russell and to Andrew. I hope all goes well and Andrew has a full recovery.

13. theres a lesson for all of us carpe diem

I hope he gets well

1. DorsetGirl 5 Dec 2011, 3:16pm

Obviously I don’t know Andrew but it’s clear that he was so supportive of Russell throughout the mad Doctor Who years, and I sincerely hope that everything comes OK for him. And bless Russell, for Doctor Who, and for being clearly a great partner to Andrew. Love to both of them.

14. Heartfelt wishes for a full and speedy recovery and *hugs* for you both.

Love what Russell did with Dr Who, Torchwood & SJA – and his throwaway lines are anyone else’s pinnacles! He is one of my (if not The) favourite writers and I always love to see him interviewed – he clearly loves what he does and his enthusiasm is always so infectious…. It hardly seems fair that he and his partner should have this happen to them!

Take care *hugs* xx

15. I wish Andrew a speedy and full recovery. What a wonderful sensitive article. It brings out the true character of Russell. My thoughts and prayers are with you both during this very difficult time.

16. So sad. I wish this amazing man and his loved ones all the best.

17. In Doctor Who: A Writer’s Tale, Russell did not talk much about Andrew (the point of the book was the show and how the writing works) but when he did, it was obvious that he and Andrew have a very good and very real and close relationship. I am not surprised to hear Russell say that Andrew is more imprtant than anything else. Good thoughts and the best of recovery wishes to Andrew and strength to Russell to support his partner during their difficult time.

18. darthhellokitty 11 Dec 2011, 2:28am

I’m very sorry this has happened, and I hope Andrew recovers completely. It’s good that they have each other.

19. Jock S. Trap 18 Dec 2011, 10:19am

My heart goes out to Russell, his partner and their family and friends.