Gay actor Neil Patrick Harris apologises for “tranny” comment

1. September Meadows 5 Dec 2011, 2:40pm

He didn’t apologize. He didn’t state “I” or “me” or anything self identifying in the apology, which makes totally lack any sincerity. Also, the apology is for using a word, not for making a mockery of a minority that already gets treated like a running joke most of the time to begin with, which leads towards blind eyes being turned toward brutally murdering them.

1. His comment was posted on twitter and at 130 characters long was most likely trimmed of pronouns to keep within the character limit.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:31pm

because that’s how you apologise for using phobic language isn’t it?

2. September Meadows 5 Dec 2011, 3:34pm

Which just adds to the lack of sincerity. If he wanted to make a real apology for anything he has access to better venues for doing so.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:35pm

yea but why bother, after all it’s only ‘trannies.’

his sincerity is over whelming.

2. Probably not as instantanious an apology as twitter … sometimes timeliness speaks greater volumes than having to wait hours/days for a more appropriate media source to accept the story …

3. I don’t think it’s fair to take away from the sincerity, he has a lot of followers the ones that would have been offended would have seen it on his feed if they went to check if he apologised, and it’s been covered by a news source so people who didn’t know about this also know he apologised.

Yes it was thoughtless of him but he’s apologised, there’s not much more you can expect.

2. Can’t stand that little pencil dick twerp anyway.

1. At least he didn’t have his ‘pencil dick’ cut off, you twerp.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:30pm

I didn’t have my ‘dick chopped off’ my friend.

I had parts of it used to create a realistic looking and sensate vagina and clitoris.

1. Yeah, parts of it may have been used. But what happened to the other parts? They were ‘chopped’ off. If you don’t like being called names, then don’t call other people names. I expect an apology for Neil Harris from Nicole H. And a very sincere one.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:47pm

no you don’t use names stan, you perpetrate myths about Trans women and surgery, you use common terms of abuse but that does not mean your a bigot right?

2. Better get the women’s movement on the case then eh, Theotherone.

Tell us how that works out for you.

3. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:53pm

piss off troll

4. I’m no troll – you’re simply a professionally offended moron.

2. PumpkinPie 5 Dec 2011, 3:58pm

Congratulations on mocking the entire transsexual community in response to Nicole H’s post. Way to take the moral highground!

Clearly, this was the same as what she did and also the best way to show everyone how you’re not a transphobic bigot!

Oh, wait. No. It’s actually the opposite of what I said. My mistake.

3. JacquiSasaki 5 Dec 2011, 3:08pm

Arent we getting rather precious about all this? I have certainly been called worse things than tranny in my life, and before you start in I am a tranny, transgendered, whatever its called these days ………..

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:33pm

No we’re not getting ‘precious’ – we’re asking for respect.

You may not want respect but I do.

1. How are you getting respect by hiding behind the LGB community. Time you all stood up on your own two feet to achieve it perhaps.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:48pm

I’m part of your community chum.

1. If you are straight then you are not.

Sexual orientation and gender identity are separate things.

If you are trans, and identify as L or G or B then you are part of our community.

2. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:56pm

odd that david because you’ve said I myself should leave the Queer Community and campaign with another group.

3. You have your feet in two camps. As far as I am concerned Trans is a completely different issue. do you define yourself as a lesbian or just “living with a lesbian partner” as that was an interesting separation of concepts.

4. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 4:22pm

Why is it ‘interesting’ and why do i have my ‘feet in two camps.’

I chose to use that term because I live with a Lesbian Partner. I myself identify as Lesbian and also as GenderQueer and a million other things too.

2. PumpkinPie 5 Dec 2011, 4:07pm

Interesting, that. Us bisexuals have been called leeches who benefit from the LGBT community without contributing anything, too.

I’ve got a better suggestion. How about, instead of kicking out trans people, or bisexuals, or feminine lesbians, or camp gay men, or whatever, we kick out the kind of entitled, bigoted jackasses who do nothing but belittle, bully and divide.

I think the LGBT community will be much happier and healthier without them. They can have their own community. And without having to put up with all that nasty, horrible diversity the LGBT community forced on them, they can shorten the name to just one letter. I’d suggest J for Jackasses, but it’s up to them, I suppose.

1. While we’re at it why don’t we kick out the ones with HIV so that we can have a “clean” community. Or throwing out gay people of faith (oh I forgot they tend to be rejected as religion and gayness are incompatible).

The fact is that trans is a completely different issue with different circumstances. Quite who you’re referring to as “entitled and bigoted” I don’t know.

Just because someone doesnt agree with your point of view does not make them bigoted. But I suppose not following the received wisdom of established Pink News board contributors is on a par with being a member of the BNP or whatever isnt it.

This is typical of any threads that refer to trans issues – descending into bad tempered posturing and insults from either side. That is something that I do not wish to get into so this will be my last comment on the subject.

2. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 4:29pm

‘this will be my last comment on the subject.’

what a shame.

3. PumpkinPie 5 Dec 2011, 4:50pm

Claiming that trans people “hide behind” LGBs – and therefore claiming that they don’t deal with their issues themselves, which is both insulting and shockingly contrary to reality – is the main thing that makes you a bigot.

2. OrtharRrith 5 Dec 2011, 3:44pm

Not really, the problem is that which ever way you cut it tranny is a term commonly used as an insult and to degrade transpeople. Whilst some transpeople – yourself included I guess judging from your post – don’t have a problem with it, many do, and as such it should be taken seriously. No matter it’s origin it’s a term that for many has come to imply that the target is “a fake woman”, “not really female”, “a man in drag” and the like. It degrades transwomens existance and makes it more of a joke, someone to laugh at in the old “look at the tranny” kind of way. If it’s not used to make transwomen the butt of a joke then it’s used as an insult, said with anger and intended to hurt and offend.
      Sure there are worse things to be called but surely this is bad enough? If not, then where do you draw the line? What hurts and offends one, may not do the same to another; but does that mean that the first person is over-reacting or being precious as you put it? OR does it mean that the second

1. OrtharRrith 5 Dec 2011, 3:51pm

CONT:
        Person is rolling over and letting those who use the term get away with it?
        Does it matter that YOU aren’t offended? You say you’ve been called worse – I’m truly saddend to hear that – but would it not be nice to be able to stop people from calling you things you didn;t want to be called, the things that hurt? You start to do that by standing up against ALL the words that are offensive. By telling people their use of tranny is wrong. Add it to the list of taboo words. Yes people will still use it, but many won’t because they’ll know it’s wrong. What’s wrong with that?
        Transpeople shouldn’t be the punchline of jokes, and this is progress towards that.

4. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:32pm

the last socially acceptable form of bigotry.

I’d like to say I expect better of my own community but then I’ve grown to realise that I can’t, that allot of people in the Queer Community have Gender Variant people.

1. No bigotry is acceptable whether transphobia, racism or homophobia …

I believe he has apologised, he recognises he used words that could offend and he says he regrets this …

I do think every minority sometimes react disproportionately to the offence either caused or intended …

We need to stamp out intentional bigotry, educate where it is unintentional and have a sense of perspective as to which matters to take seriously and which to take a deep breath and ignore …

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:43pm

educate? Considering this issue has cropped up time and time again recently in the Entertainment industry you think there would be no need for education: Glee, Kelly Osbourn and now him.

How often does this need to happen before people ‘get it?’

1. Kelly Osborne gave a seemingly very sincere apology for her use of the word.

Colour me unsurprised that this apology is insufficient for you.

You clearly lack the good grace to accept any apology.

I suppose it’s more comfortable to be offended.

1. Paddyswurds 6 Dec 2011, 5:08pm

@theotherone….I have never engaged in homophobia against Lesbians nor have i ever uttered a racist word, you unspeakable pig. Copy and post the comments you say are either. This is typical of your presence on this site. Prove it or I will make you prove it and that is not a threat. I will see you in court if it’s the last thing I ever do, you excuse for a human being.

2. theotherone 7 Dec 2011, 3:50pm

wow, threatening court action?

v grown up.

3. Osborne apologized for using the word tranny, but not for saying that trans women are essentially “worse than ugly.”

Sincere my ass.

2. @theotherone

As a gay man, I have made jokes that are mildly derogatory about gay men … and offended some … and apologised …

However, sometimes one has to accept that humour sometimes begins with disparaging comments (that are not intended to ridicule but highlighting difference) … it depends on the audience as to whether such humour is appropriate and we all get that judgement wrong on occasions ..

I appreciate Neil Patrick Harris is not transgender and this paints the comment a little differently, but nonetheless – he has recognised his error and apologised.

Can never have enough education is my thought – regardless of what the subject is …

1. theotherone 6 Dec 2011, 2:22pm

‘This Theotherone is particularly fractious no matter what the subject of the thread. I don’t think I have ever read a positive comment from him/her.’

and you paddy have called both Trans people and Lesbians names and engaged in blatant racism.

I know who I’d rather be.

2. Which begs the inevitable question – which community are you speaking about?

Being G, L Or B is a sexual orienation. Being T means being gender variant. They are 2 completely different things.

Yes there some T people who are also G. L or B but as far as I can see MtF trans women should be arguing for inclusion in the larger women’s movement as surely that’s an equally appropriate cause for them.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:45pm

So a Lesbian Trans Woman or Gay Trans Man has no part of your ‘community.’

Only some Gay Man and Lesbians need apply.

1. I see you deliberately msinterpreted by post, such is your overwhelming need to be offended.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:59pm

‘Better get the women’s movement on the case then eh, Theotherone’

you own words, posted AFTER you claimed I was part of your community.

nice try troll

2. You’re the troll – going around actively seeking to be offended everywhere when no offence was intended.

You need to work on that you know.

3. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 4:05pm

perhaps I’m just mental eh David? After all you’ve traded nearly every insult you can throw at Transpeople so why not that?

4. I never said you were mental. You brought that suggestion up entirely on your own.

You, you, you TRANSPHOBE you!

Inventing insults to be thrown at you, to enable you to be ever more offended? Truly pathetic.

I hope you are not typical of the trans community in terms of how thin-skinned you are and how easy it is to offend you.

2. As a Trans person at some point in the transition you are attracted to someone of the same sex they have every right to be in this community (also don’t forget that Trans men and women were heavily involved in the Stonewall riots)

Now enough of this “I’m more gay than you” Bullsh!t. We are all oppressed minorities and we should all stand together to fight oppression.

5. as you seem to be so totally “empowered” these days maybe its about time the trans “community” came out from the LGB umbrella as they are totally different issues.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:37pm

Why Steven? I live with a Lesbian Partner so I’m not a member of ‘your’ community.

1. It means you’re a lesbian, I suppose and therefore part of the LGB community..

If you had a male partner I assume you would be straight, so surely the women’s movement would be your natural, campaigning home.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:46pm

double posting the same point does not make it more valid david.

1. But it is valid.

Transwomen face a lot of discrimination and abuse.

What is the feminist movement doing to address this, as this is a far more appropriate home to deal with your issues?

Or are they all horrid transphobes as well?

2. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 4:00pm

so if you are with a Lesbian/ Gay partner and face abuse it’s something else entirely?

3. Depends on whether you are lesbian or bi, I guess.

If you identify as straight then you need to get on the phone to Julie Bindel to ask how to fight sexism.

2. That is not what I said and obviously I’m not going to win as I am now going to have whatever I say twisted to indicate that I am “transphobic”.

The trans issue is one of gender and psychophysiology rather than sexuality. As you are trans and lesbian there is no reason that you shouldnt be a part of both communities. My feeling is that the trans community is a seperate entity with a seperate set of circumstances that have been lumped in with LGB as noone knew where to put you.

1. Agreed.

But because you raised these points, you are now to be dismissed forevermore as a transphobe.

2. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 4:27pm

oh no you poor little victim.

3. There aren’t enough trans people nationally to have a community as such, and not all trans people are out or even mix in any LGBT communities anyway; not all trans people wish to mix with other trans people because it can out them unnecessarily. Many are living successfully in the gender they ID as and are just living their lives. Why would they want to out themselves? The reason T was added was so we could fight ignorance in numbers. Trans really do not have enough umbers to fight what is probably the most publicly attacked part of the LGBT community. It annoys me that there are still some gay people who are transphobic and think we should expel trans people. I have no issue at all with including them so we can fight ignorance together. Whether you like it or not, the goals of all members of the LGBT community are the same, to END and put a stop to ignorance and hate crime.

1. Perhaps.
            But this response does not adress my earlier question – why is the feminist movement not the natural home of the MTF trans community?

It is NOT transphobic to ask why the wiomen’s movement does not seem to want very much to do with the trans movement.

2. PumpkinPie 5 Dec 2011, 4:41pm

What about teenaged effeminate gay boys or butch lesbians? We’ve seen many of them on these very pages, bullied, assaulted, driven to suicide. But, they’re not transsexual or crossdressing. Some of the boys wear make-up or rather un-masculine clothes, some of the girls sport boyish hairstyles and attire. They are picked on because of these things, because their behaviour and appearance doesn’t match cultural expectations of their gender.

This is pretty much the same thing that transsexual people experience (just replace “gender” with “supposed gender”). Should these kids join the transsexual community over at the “women’s institute”, too? How in the hell would that work for the boys, hmm? They’re not women. Well, I guess we’ll have to help those kids out ourselves. Oh, but I guess we can’t, according to you guys, ‘cos we only deal with sexuality not gender! Uh-oh! What a pickle!

1. PumpkinPie 5 Dec 2011, 4:42pm

Gender and sexuality are inextricably linked in society’s perceptions of both the non-hetero and transsexual communities. They are commonly equated as being the same thing. Gays and lesbians get treated like thier sexuality makes them somehow less of a man or woman. Transsexuals get treated like they’re homosexual deviants. It really is shocking how anyone could not see the amount of common ground we share, or understand how much we can gain by working together.

Furthermore, who the hell do you people think you are telling us all who does and does not belong in OUR community? Check the bottom of every Pink News page: LGBT community. Not LGB. Ergo, seeing as how you don’t regard yourselves part of this community, I have to ask, what the hell are you people even doing here? Go find an LGB website to hang out on. This is our community, not yours, and you said so yourselves. Why not go back to your own community and stop being such leeches? You’re not welcome here.

1. When was the ‘T’ added?

I missed the vote on that one.

1. That would be since about 1988.

3. I totally agree. I used to work on an LGBT ‘helpline’ and the only time I felt disempowered to truly empathise with callers was when it was straight men who happen to wear attire of the oppsoite sex. As a Gay man who feels no desire to cross-dress, I had absolutley no idea (in the end) why the ‘T’s were tagged on with LGB’s. And if a Gay man lives as a woman, is he now a straight woman? And if so, then why be ‘tagge’d with Gay men and women? Huh? Makes my head hurt!

1. Staircase2 5 Dec 2011, 6:14pm

Think Brian – it really isnt that much of a mental stretch…

If youre empathic enough to be drawn to work on a LGBT helpline in the first place why is it you are having such enormous problems dealing with cross-dressing as an issue?

Its always best with these things to start off by thinking about PEOPLE and then adding in all the ways we are all programmed to believe that one thing is ‘right’ while another is ‘wrong’.

Take away any ‘wrong’ which is not about hurting anyone and all you’re left with is different ‘rights’…

4. Staircase2 5 Dec 2011, 6:11pm

Steven is talking compete fart…
      Its that right-wing, knee-jerk, reactionary way of looking at the world as ‘them and us’ bollocks…
      Its like theyve never heard of ‘divide and conquer’ (although, of course, they have – which is the very technique they’re busy using when they post bollocks like that in the first place…)

6. Aryugaetu 5 Dec 2011, 3:36pm

I had bought an old Ford Mustang and it was nothing but problems. The most expensive issue was the low rumble in the transmission. So, I bought a rebuilt tranny and had my too-hot-for-words neighbor’s son install it. Flat on his back, legs spread, all afternoon. But, I digress. I think we need to be much more focussed on the speaker’s intent, rather than the words themselves. Words are not evil; people are evil. Although words may be used like bullets to a bully, removing the bullets leaves the psycho on the streets. Bullies want us to censor the words. It takes the focus off of them as they seek new ways to hurt others. I can’t believe I had this much extra time this morning to point out the obvious. Don’t stop words – protect ALL speech – stop the evil bullies – Mr. Harris is NOT a bully nor evil. He was just grasping for an impromptu joke. Lighten up – fight true evil.

1. Well I’ve been noticing a lot of homophobia from the T community on the interwebs of late.

Large sections of the ‘T’ community don’t seem to like gay men (in particular) very much.

Even though the women’s movement (which would be the natural home for the M2F community) don’t campaign on behalf of the T community at all.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:51pm

oh here we go david…

You’re demanding Gender Varient people leave your community regardless of their sexuality but you are the one being oppressed.

Yea right.

1. Can you even read? Because you are making things us?

I have said that any T person who identifies as L or G or B should be regarded as part of the LGB community.

If you identifty as straight then you are not part of the LGB community, regardless of how much you whine that you are.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 4:02pm

‘Better get the women’s movement on the case then eh, Theotherone’

poster AFTER you claimed this.

so you say one thing then another to engage in the abuse of a Transperson but you’re not phobic, it’s us who are phobic right? The people on the receiving end of your abuse are the abusers.

yea whatever.

2. PumpkinPie 5 Dec 2011, 4:17pm

Well, it’s lucky that there’s such a thing as an LGBT community, then, isn’t it?

3. There is no LGBT ‘community’.

What a daft idea. It sounds nice, but it’s fake.

And we all know it.

4. I think this thread alone is an indication that the idea of one single LGBTQI community is a concept not matched by reality.

2. Aryugaetu… I agree with you 100%… We (the LGBT community) need to lighten up… I think we bring some negativity to our own cause

7. Every trans person I’ve ever met has, uses the word ‘tranny’.

Since when has it become offensive?

And who were his comments offensive to – transsexual people or transgendered people or genderqueer people or transvestites.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:40pm

Right David because we consider it a term of abuse so we all use it.

No mate all your Gay friends use it.

1. Actually my friend who had her penis cut off uses it.

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 3:52pm

Yes and I’m sure lots of trans people love to be told they had their ‘dick chopped off’ and I’m sure some of your best friends are black.

2. OrtharRrith 5 Dec 2011, 3:59pm

If you refure to her like that then I’d be very suprised if she actually considers you a friend!

1. Well some people are not hypersensitve to every perceived insult.

Unlike you I guess.

2. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 4:03pm

oh right so if you don’t like a term that’s widely accepted (but not by bigots like you) as a term of abuse you’re ‘over sensitive.’

another own goal from you.

3. PumpkinPie 5 Dec 2011, 4:14pm

Hey, dAVID, my friend who likes having penises put up his bum says you’re an idiot. I guess that makes it true! That, and the fact that you actually are an idiot.

2. Look I don’t agree with David about most of the things he’s said here (and I think he’s been an insensitive prat) but I find it pretty odd that you are denying there are trans ppl who refer themselves as “trannies” and fully embrace their transexual status, when for the last three weeks the tv show, “My Transexual Summer” has featured a woman just like that.

She’s not the only trans person that does so and I think this adds to the confusion non-trans people feel. It’s like when white boy who listen too much rap music use the N-word without racist intentions.

The only way you can stop stuff like this happening is with education and patience, also you have to learn to differentiate between people who are genuinely transphobic bigots and people who are just a bit dim. This “pencil dick” is definitely the latter.

1. See the term ‘professionally offended’ when referencing many members of the T community – particularly on the internet.

2. essexgirlbecky 5 Dec 2011, 3:51pm

Whether or not transgender people choose individually to self-identify as “tranny” is not the issue here. The issue here is whether it is acceptable for someone to appropriate terms like “tranny” (or in another context “fag”) to make cheap jokes at the expense of others. Take a look at this:

3. I have to say, whilst I accept that some people don’t like it, and that’s fair enough, all the transexuals I know have referred to themselves and other transexuals as trannies.

It was actually news to me when I started reading this site that it wasn’t a socially acceptable phrase.

Yes it can be used in an insulting way, but so can the word ‘gay’, so I really think its the context and I don’t think the contaxt here was intentionally insulting.

4. It’s like calling a gay guy a f@g. Is that acceptable? No? Then don’t do it to trans people either. It sounds cheap and degrading. The fact that some people don’t like it should be good enough reason for you. But not, you seem to want to justify bigotry.

I was born transsexual and I HATE it. Clear enough for you?

1. Paddyswurds 6 Dec 2011, 1:26pm

@xrk9854….
        ……..no it most definitely not like calling a gay guy a f@g. The Fag term comes from the word faggot which is a bundle of kindling…… kindling which was used to burn gay men at the stake in days long gone. Trannie is merely a shortening of the term transgender, transsexual or transdresser and has no derogatory connotations except those misconstrued by the trans community, which seems to be perpetually fractious and bad tempered.

1. theotherone 6 Dec 2011, 2:33pm

jusus paddy what rock did you climb out from under?

Actualy there is no evidence that this is the source of the term ‘fag’ or ‘faggot’ as it’s first recorded use was in the US in 1914 and it is a pre 20th century term that was only common in England.

More lightly is that the Yiddish word faygeleh (meaning little bird) jumped from the Jewish Community to the larger community as a number of Yiddish words have. The term was Yiddish slang for Gay Men.

Oh and if people find a term offensive it’s usually a good idea not to use it but then since you said to a black poster here ‘move your big fat black ass’ I can’t hope for too much can I?

5. Exactly. I’ve never met any trans-folk who don’t use the term.
      Double standards are double standards.

8. Peter S. (formerly 'FengLong') 5 Dec 2011, 4:08pm

I think the problem is trans people are not very well known about or understood by many people.

I’ve only recently looked up a lot of information about them from documentaries and Youtube videos.

It turns out there are a lot of irritating things people can say to a trans person without even realising it; until they have the reasons for how they are being irritating explained to them~

I hope they have their profile raised so more people can learn about the thoughts and feelings of trans people.

1. @Peter

I think thats pretty fair … there certainly is a lack of knowledge, which i being improved by things such as recent drama’s …

There is also this difficulty in the formulation of the diversity subgroup of LGBT … there is a logic to transgender being added – but in a sense the commonality between LGB people compared to transgender is much different …

There is significant transphobia amongst some LGB people … equally there is some homophobia from transgendered people …

I do think a lot of people whether trans, gay or otherwise do react disproportionately to the facts where errors of judgement (whether comedic or not) are made in terminology etc

2. Staircase2 5 Dec 2011, 6:16pm

wow!
      when did you suddenly become so feeling!?
      Keep it up! Its a much better you! :o)

1. Peter S. (formerly 'FengLong') 5 Dec 2011, 6:33pm

I am probably a whole lot more caring, considerate and affectionate than you think~

I don’t know what you’ve been reading from me, I’m guessing maybe something about people with what I call (in the fairly literal sense..) ‘dirty’ sexual habits.. (Not a moral judgement btw).

But I do have a lot of compassion for people and their plights you know~~~

1. @Peter

Like the avatar btw

In the first set of posts of yours that I noticed, I grasped a sense that you actually do care – but your manner and choice of language left a lot to be desired …

In the second set of posts of yours I at times believed you were deliberately seeking to troll and be inflammatory … although as I read more of your comments, felt you were hurting …

This post, I find caring, considerate and empathetic …

Its one of my foibles – I try to imagine and understand people I interact with … and you strike me as a complex (but interesting – if at times infuriating) guy …

1. Peter S. (formerly 'FengLong') 6 Dec 2011, 3:52pm

Thanks Stu (: Your avatar is quite interestingly abstract. It’s a footballer in the palm of someones hand? How very trippy! heh heh

Ye well I’m not a troll at all~ I don’t wish anyone any ill.. I only say what I think, and I don’t see myself as a bad guy for it!

Well, at least I’m not trying to be a bad guy.. I’m no ‘Keith’, let’s put it that way~~~ :-s

2. @Peter

I would never put you in the same league as Keith … sheesh – I have some humanity lol :-)

The avatar is actually me in a red T shirt stood in front of an exhibit in a modern art gallery in Munich. Sounds more pretentious than it is – I just loved the pic and my ex took a great picture …

3. … I guess it is a little trippy though …

;-p

9. Christine Beckett 5 Dec 2011, 4:17pm

Fuss over nothing. It’s just a word. In this case, it was not used to insult.

Finding insult where none is intended is not going to win friends and influence people. It’s just going to make others think we’re a bunch of said, whining losers.

chrissie

xx

1. Christine Beckett 5 Dec 2011, 4:18pm

or even sad…. LOL.. :-)

1. theotherone 5 Dec 2011, 4:26pm

oh right and if someone used blatantly offensive terms to describe you it would just be a joke right?

1. Never let your offence radar down theotherone.

Imagine the horror of being a bit more relaxed.

You’d miss so many opportunities to be offended and outraged by all the bigots you encounter every day, every where.

2. The voice of reason …. well done!!!

2. It was used to insult. It was used to make fun of trans women’s voices, saying how low they are.

I care more about my friends not being total asshats than I do about having lots of friends.

10. Staircase2 5 Dec 2011, 6:19pm

Surely the subtext here is the fact that ‘tranny’ is really an abbreviation of the word ‘transvestite’.

People being openly Transsexual is a (fairly) recent phenomenon and the language is getting convoluted.
    People are causally conflating the two very different ends of a long spectrum.
    What is needed is public education and visibility. The fact that we are having this debate is part of this process.

Ultimately we are all entitled to decide what name we wish to be used to describe us (and how we describe ourselves – which may not be one and the same thing).

1. Staircase2 5 Dec 2011, 7:27pm

Sorry – that should say ‘casually conflating’…
      (It would be good if there was an edit facility on comments…)

2. “Tranny” is /really/ a word that bigots use to demean MAAB trans people of all varieties, and that is sometimes reclaimed by those people, and that is not remotely acceptable in any other context than reclamation by those people.

11. So would the people who are saying “grow up, it;s just a word” be OK with heterosexual or people who aren’t gay using the word f****t all the time? Even when thousands of gay people around the world get beaten, abused and murdered by people shouting the exact same word at them? I didn’t think so. So why should people who aren’t trans get to use t****y, when they are not the people who are opressed by that word and the meanings and history behind it? There is a blatant double standard that some people use (including some here, I see) to silence transgender people, when all we would like is for people to just treat us with the same respect as everybody else. You wouldn’t call a gay person a f****t, so don’t call a trans person a t****y. Why is that so hard for people to understand, Jesus Christ.

1. Why then do so many T people use the word ‘tranny’ then, and not just among other ‘t’ people.

And if a crossdresser (a transvestite) uses it then is he offending the transgendered community.

And if a transgendered person uses it, then is she offended a transsexual person?

A unilateral decision was made that the word ‘tranny’ is offensive.

Why have so many trans people (TV, TG and TS) missed the memo?

2. Paddyswurds 8 Dec 2011, 10:50am

mainly cause the comparison is utter rubbish, frankly.
      Tranny is short or similar to trans whatever, whereas Faggot is clearly a term of abuse and always has,. Btw what has imaginary xtian deities to do with the thread and argument?.

12. so what if he said it, it’s just a word and there are bigger things going on than to worry about a 6 letter word
    and before i get and grief i’m trans my self and i just don’t see the point in getting hyped up over nothing

1. I imagine it’s because you don’t live your life, actively looking to be offended like ‘theotherone’.

13. This seems over reacting tbh. There are far more offensive terms

1. Is it rspectful to refer to a gay man as a f@g? No? Then don’t do the same to a trans person.

1. Faggot has always been offensive.

Tranny used to be a term of affection, that has been deemed offensive by the Trans High Council, in recent times.

Keep up for Cher’s sake.

14. Katie-Kool eyes 6 Dec 2011, 10:40am

It’s not just the word used, it’s also the context he used it in. Making his voice lower, then saying he felt like a T***** IS a dig at M2F trans people.

Ok, I admit, i don’t beleive he done it to be nasty towards the trans community. I think he was just a little careless.

x

15. He has aplogised and that’s a really affirmative action toward trans people.
    For those wondering why, it’s obvious not every trans person is offended but enough are, to the point where you really have to realise that the usage of ‘tranny’ is going to offend quite a few people. Enough reason not to use it.

16. To understand the possible offence I will deconstruct the humour as seen by many (but not all) transpeople…well ok…me.
    Voice is the hardest thing MtoF transpeople have to deal with in their day to day life. It takes either surgery or many hours of voice therapy to achieve even a moderate female voice. We are naturally sensitive about it.
    The joke goes like this.Low voices are a male atribute, not female. I have a low voice now; Transexuals have low voices. Isn’t it funny that transexuals show male attributes while claiming to be women. Let’s laugh at them. Hahaha. I know many will say ‘Sure” and not in a good way lol but seriously what else is the joke about? Anyone? And that’s why the context of the word in this case is offensive…….as usual.

17. jamestoronto 6 Dec 2011, 2:10pm

I have always found the use of the word in question to be more stupid than anything else because it is so ambiguous. Does it mean transvestite? Transgendered? Transsexual? I have even heard it used in reference to large trucks on the highway. The word should be discarded if not for its offensive connotation then for its ambiguity.

18. Aunt Linda 6 Dec 2011, 2:22pm

Come on Neil can make gay jokes if he wants to. That’s like telling Whoopie she can’t tell black people jokes. We need to loosen up & not be so judgemental! Come on America…have a sense of humor for God’s sakes!

1. theotherone 6 Dec 2011, 2:38pm

and is Neil a Transperson? No? Well he should shut up then.

2. He can make gay jokes because he is gay but he is not Trans so he shouldn’t make Trans jokes, Its like saying he is able to use the N word for Black people because he is also part of a minority group.

3. It’s different. Black people have come along way in fighting racism, whereas it’s very early days fighting transphobia. it’s too early, things are still very sensitive. maybe when transpeople aren’t scared to walk down the street and can have equality in employment etc then words like this might not hurt so much. until then we need to be sensitive and show some respect and not use this word.

19. Who the hell cares? Cross dressers and trans-folk use the term “tranny” all the time.

1. Katie-Kool eyes 6 Dec 2011, 2:46pm

Really!!!!?

I’m a trans person and i personally dislike that word. I do not use it. Many other trans people dislike that word to. Now i know some trans people do use that word, but for many more it is seen as a slur.

Don’t let a channel 4 program fool you into thinking it’s the Trans communities “power word”

x

20. I’ve got to admit a few months ago I didn’t think that “tranny” was an offensive term and now that I know I don’t use it unless I’m with someone who knows I don’t mean anything by it.

Its simple if the word offends people why use it?

21. Aryugaetu… I agree with you 100%… We (the LGBT community) need to lighten up… I think we bring some negativity to our own cause

22. PumpkinPie 6 Dec 2011, 6:48pm

Here’s the equivalent scenario.

Male celebrity inhales helium, claims it makes him sound like a “homo”. Apologises on Twitter for using the word “homo”. Commentators say it was no big deal because their gay friends casually used the term “homo” themselves, and then completely ignore the offensive stereotyping.

Is this acceptable?

Furthermore, still waiting on an apology from NPH for claiming that this is what female transsexuals sound like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVr3REUTzPQ

1. PumpkinPie 6 Dec 2011, 6:49pm

Shame about the casual transphobia, ‘cos the gas in that clip sounds hilarious. If I had the resources, I would so totally throw a helium & sulfur hexafluoride party.

1. Paddyswurds 8 Dec 2011, 10:43am

@PumpkinPie…
        ….it is extremely dangerous to inhale either gas intentionally.There have been several death recorded recently over the use of helium as a party item. Sulphur dioxide is poisinous if inhaled deeply or repeatedly. Forget your gas party. It would end up a death party very quickly.

1. PumpkinPie 8 Dec 2011, 2:46pm

I was just messing around, but that’s actually a pretty sensible bit of advice, anyway. The idea of inhaling substances has always seemed a bit dodgy to me.

1. You’ve obviously never tried laughing gas, its awsome!!

23. Paddyswurds 14 Dec 2011, 11:43pm

It occurs to me that things didn’t go as hoped for this Tory Theotherone being. He hoped that cutting off his testicles and penis would make him a woman and he has found to his horror that this is not the case. He is still a fractious angry man who to his horror discovered at an early stage that he was gay and thought the remedy was to try to be a woman. No straight man would come within miles of his ugly mug so he decided the next best thing would be to hook up with a (butch?) lesbian. That hasn’t worked out either so now he spends his days being perpetually angry and offended and posting lies about other posters with whom he has issues. One thinks a spell in secure accommodation receiving medical treatment may help but that is also doubtful. A very very sad and twisted individual all in all. Hope he finds peace soon if for no other reason that the rest of us wont have to put up with his anger and bile…..sheesh!