Comment: David Cameron urges reflection, action and hope on World AIDS Day

1. “This government is fully signed up to these efforts, at home and abroad.”

So how much has this government invested in research and development of new prevention technologies or research into a cure for HIV?

1. A lot…, a real whole lot, an enormous, humongous amount of very hot air.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Dec 2011, 8:18am

But then it’s not like your bias to any facts now are you?!! Much!!

Being blind to facts is one thing but to be deliberately ignorance to facts is just stupid.

2. Sometimes a letter or an acknowledgement is enough to embolden awareness ,! you are right however the sooner the better!
      Sincerely
      Any!

2. I think the Conservatives really have come a long way. Can you imagine Thatcher doing something like this? Yes, there are still Old School Tory bigots who act as a ball and chain on quicker progress but they are a dying breed. If DC brings home marriage equality as he says he can, he really will be my hero.

1. What does conservatism stand for? The clue is in the word itself. What sort of people does conservatism atract? If conservatism can’t assimilate gayism in its core, no matter how much one spends in window dressing, it’s not gonna change…. Conservatism stands primarily for the “status quo”. On a second analysis, it’d rather go back to a previous stage, rather than progress to a new one. DC can’t force feed the population or even his electorate a new concept of conservatism. His charade will eventually hit the wall.

1. Spanner1960 1 Dec 2011, 5:51pm

Oh get over it. You are just another leftie with a massive chip on his shoulder that still continues to whinge on about Thatcherite policies of thirty years ago. Another wannabe Ben Elton. May I remind you that it was the Labour government that sold us down the river and fcked up this country over the past 13 years, blowing all our money, kowtowing to Europe and bringing in new laws whilst completely destroying our constitutional heritage by joining the EU by stealth and wiping out the House of Lords.

You reap what you sow, so don’t blame the current government for trying to clean up the sh|te yours made.

1. I also think this is hypercritical. Blame games are for losers.

2. Jock S. Trap 16 Dec 2011, 8:24am

Indeed, so limited in his approach it’s somewhat boring.

2. I think this is hypercritical. There have always been Tory LGBTs – having mentioned heroes I don’t mind saying that Ian Harvey (1914-1987) is already one of mine – although I accept that conservatism has yet not embraced LGBTs and LGBT rights at its core as you put it. That is taking time and cannot be any other way. I remain willing to believe that the efforts of DC, LGBTory, and a new generation of Conservative MPs to distance themselves from the undoubted errors of the past are genuine. I am also encouraged that such a traditionally-fusty (and conservative) institution as the University of Oxford waved its first official rainbow flag a couple of weeks ago, another indication of social evolution which should, I think, be applauded. There is nothing inherently political about being L, G, B, or T and I do not accept that there is any such thing is ‘gayism’ in the sense of a political or philosophical theory.

3. Jock S. Trap 16 Dec 2011, 8:23am

See Beberts I can’t be limiting like you. Yes I have a good when whoever from whichever party does wrong but equally I will praise and give credit when whoever from whatever party does good.

You should try it sometime.

2. “If DC brings home marriage equality as he says he can, he really will be my hero”

Does no one stop to wonder what the Conservative position would be if they weren’t in a coalition government.

“DC” is stepping up to take the credit for this but would it have happened without the Dem in the ConDem government?

1. If you pour a couple of glasses of Krug down my neck and whisper sweet nothings in my ear, I might admit that you have a point. But there is a bigger picture here, not least in America where LGBT is horribly politicised, so unnecessarily. If marriage equality was achieved here under the authority of a Conservative PM, I think it would send a clear and positive message to the world that LGBT is NOT inherently political and that right wing hearts and minds CAN be changed, albeit slowly and with a bit of positive encouragement. That’s one of the reasons I support DC and LGBTory. I also know from personal experience that the way to change the traditional attitude of right wingers and religous zealots is not by fighting them head on, but by queering them (actually, demonstrating how queer they already are). The LibDems are certainly helping a process here though, I acknowledge that.

2. Jock S. Trap 16 Dec 2011, 8:27am

I don’t agree because if that was the case then he wouldn’t have been so public but more likely kept his opinion at a lower level.

3. Jock S. Trap 16 Dec 2011, 8:22am

Exactly, I believe it’s a case of credit when credit is due.

3. Andy O'Malley 1 Dec 2011, 3:06pm

what a crock.
    all the right words but very little action.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Dec 2011, 8:28am

Actually if you mind to research you’ll see this government have done much more in the forst 18 months than the last lot did in their first 5 years.

4. See how the government made AIDS, http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8674401787208020885
    the good parts start at about 55 minutes.

1. Spanner1960 3 Dec 2011, 11:31am

Conspiratorial crap.

2. Jock S. Trap 16 Dec 2011, 8:28am

Oh give it up. No point in spreading poisioning crap like that. Deal with it and stop being bitter!!

5. Is he really serious about this when NHS Grampian plans to cut HIV Prevention Services as from yesterday – World AIDS Day? See this report on http://www.nusscotlandlgbt.org.uk/sayno

Quote: “NHS Grampian will be cutting services which promote sexual health, HIV prevention, support to those living to HIV & to young people who are at risk of sexually transmitted infections. These services provide the community with relevant resources, information & peer-to-peer support which helps to stop the spread of sexually transmitted infections.”

Follow links on this website to add your voice to stop this from happening & reverse the decision.

Words are fine, but action is more important. I have no problem with us here in the UK helping others in far-off countries, such as Africa, to educate the male population about their responsibility to make sure that women & children are safe from HIV infection, but how can we do this when our own country is stopping HIV Prevention Services? Hypocrisy!

1. You realise that Scotland has a devolved healthcare system, right?

Cameron has absolutely no influence on it. Direct your anger at the SNPs.

6. thankyou and lots of grace to you David Cameron!

7. Jock S. Trap 16 Dec 2011, 8:16am

I praise David Cameron on writing this piece for PinkNews. It good and he does speak a lot of sense. He does however need to make sure that funding for HIV, it’s research and the prevention is kept at a acceptable level to deal with the rise and tackle the stigma attached.