Anti-bullying campaigner Roger Crouch dies

1. So sad to hear the astoundingly sad news of Mr Crouch’s death …

His passion for fairness and honesty when dealing with bullying demonstrated his integrity and he was a hugely deserved recipient of the Stonewall Award.

My thoughts and sympathies to his wife, family and friends …

1. This has knocked me for six! I have chatted back and forth with Roger on Facebook a few times early in the mornings. He always seemed to be up and posting stuff around 4.30am most mornings. His tireless efforts at making a change towards anti-bullying gave him the rightly-deserved title of Stonewall Hero of the Year. I’m devastated. What a loss…;-(

1. Dan Filson 29 Nov 2011, 2:43pm

Likewise. This is a dreadful loss, and I really feel for all the Crouch family and their friends. I felt for some time that Roger was stressing himself to a great degree and it must have taken its toll on him. The sad fact is that no suicide leaves only a ripple – Roger can be honestly said to have died of grief.

2. This is very sad news and comes too soon after being recognised by Stonewall for his courageous work to tackle bullying in schools.

3. So very sad to hear this news. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends. I hope his legacy of good work lives on.

4. Untimely and tragic. RIP.

5. dave wainwright 29 Nov 2011, 1:45pm

Roger was a true friend and I am totally devastated to learn of his demise.
    I only hope the work that he has done in targeting homophobic bullying in our schools and amongst young people will be looked on as a treasured seed to be nurtured and and cherished and grow to be a tree of reason and intelligence in our schools and in our lands and it’s intelligent light a beacon to the whole world.
    It MUST become OUR number one priority to target this subject in 2012 when the eyes of the world are on LONDON PRIDE we should not forget that PRIDE is a PROTEST and although for many of us who survived the homophobic bullying of our schooldays for our children and up coming generations it is an everyday running of the gauntlet of physical , emotional and verbal abuse in the playground and classroom which are the front lines of a battle field for those who are least able to deal with such psychological warfare . LEST WE FORGET .

1. If he was your friend, you were truly honoured, Dave, and I sympathise with your grief.

6. Related topic:
    Who would Jesus bully?
    Religious exemptions legitimize bullying

7. Sincerest condolences to Mr Crouch’s family and friends. In face of a terrible tragedy, Mr Crouch became a warrior for the rights and safety of vulnerable young people. Truly a hero and a genuinely lovely man.

8. What a sad loss for Roger’s family and the gay community at large.
    O that every gay man or woman could have had the privilege of having such a father – a sensitive, decent, loving and caring man.
    God Bless, Roger.

9. I didn’t know him, I didn’t chat to him but I read with interest his endeavours to make this world a far better place.

There’s a saying that the good die young – and it is a terrible loss for this world.

My sympathies are with his family and friends.

Roger, you will be missed.

10. Chris Wintermute 29 Nov 2011, 4:57pm

Utter shock at Rogers death. I was lucky enough to be among the 400 or so people that attended the Stonewall Awards only a few weeks ago where Roger gave an emotional speech that left few of us with dry eyes. He and his wife Paola are true heroes. My thoughts are with Paola and their family as they come to terms with their loss. A sad loss of a campaigner who had the connections and the ability to engage those at the schools he visited and worked with.

11. auntie babs 29 Nov 2011, 5:21pm

totally and utterly unexpected news. I have chatted with himo on facebook and remember telling him that there was nobody else in the running for Stonewall’s hero of the hear, and he replied he couldn’t possibly compete with Lady Gaga. This is such tragic news. My sympathies to his wife and daughter, and I would so like to believe that he is at peace and reunited with Dom. A true hero.

1. auntie babs 29 Nov 2011, 5:24pm

sorry about the awful spelling mistakes above but this has really upset me.

12. Bobby Griff 29 Nov 2011, 6:51pm

I was fortunate to work for Roger, a giant of a man who will be so sadley missed on so many levels.My thoughts are with Paola and Giulia at this sad time

13. Desperately sad news. I couldn’t believe it when I first read it. My sympathy to all his family and friends.

14. This is such sad news to hear! So much sadness and pain for his wife and family in the last year.
    In such a short time since his son died he took a negative and turned to to a positive! That he became a champion for Anti Bulling…his voice was heard, his actions brought awareness and his cause made him a hero.

My condolences to his wife and family.

15. Christine McQueen 29 Nov 2011, 8:57pm

I was late getting to Facebook this morning as I was engaged in discussions elsewhere on the web. This announcement was still one of the first things that drew my attention because of the way it was written by a friend of mine who saw the original before I did. I sat at my keyboard in tears for so long, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to do much more for the rest of the day. But then, I remembered what Roger’s life had become all about since his son’s suicide and I said to myself, “Are you just going to let his cause die with him?” NO, I’m not going to do that. I’m going to exert even greater effort into putting an END to bullying! Rest in Peace, Roger. Your friends and loved one are going to carry on with the work you started and the path you outlined for us. :’-(

16. So very very sad!

It was very sad how he became is the anti bullying campaign…But the work he has done will never be forgotten and would have made his Dominic very proud of his father.

My thoughts and sympathies go out to his wife, family and friends!

A very sad loss for all indeed

17. The Christians killed his son with their hate filled campaigns to spread hate propaganda about LGBT people and others.

18. You are with your boy now Roger. As a father myself I just know you couldn’t leave him alone. Love you both.

19. Almost speechless. He struck me as really being one of the Good Ones. Thank goodness he was able to get his well-deserved award in time at least. His poor, poor wife and daughter, I can’t imagine how horrendous this past year and half has been for them.

20. Spanner1960 1 Dec 2011, 5:36pm

This is a terrible blow. The man was a stalwart and I remember him coming on these PN forums to discuss his son.

My deepest sympathies to all concerned, he was a very special person.

21. dave wainwright 1 Dec 2011, 11:44pm

Friends of Dom Crouch against Bullying.
    I wish to announce that Roger’s funeral will take place on Thursday 8 December, 12:30 at St Peter’s Church in Winchcombe, followed by refreshments at The Harvest Home in Greet (nearby). Absolutely all friends and well wishes will be welcomed to share in the celebration of a quite charismatic man who used his amazing talent to do such good.

1. Is there a fund to which those who admired Rogers work can contribute to continue the great work he did?

22. David ikenna 12 Dec 2011, 4:17pm

So sad he had to leave now. As gay in a deeply homophobic African and in particular Nigeria society, its more sadning that those who fight discrimination die suddenly. I deeply sympathise with his family, friends, relations and the entire gay community. Now though, he re unites with our beloved Domnic. Tell him we miss him much.

23. Jock S. Trap 15 Dec 2011, 12:29pm

Shocked and deeply saddened by this news.
    My heart goes out to his family friends and all that knew him and knew of him.
    A great man.