Rapper T.I. defends Tracy Morgan routine, says those who complain are “not American”

1. what a stupid thing to say… does this idiot know that this expression goes back to the 1950′s, the good old days (!) of racial segregation?

1. Yes but verbalising racist idealogy is just freedom of speech, so it must be guaranteed his support,or does he play the double standard/hypocrisy race card when it benefits him.

2. You’re right. What it comes down to is that the guy is as thick as dog sh**t.

2. Substitute Black or disabled for Gay and would he think it was soooo funny. He’s right about one thing – I’m not American.

3. He needs to realise that it isnt a “joke” to say you’d stab your son if he came out. Thats hatred pure and simple. He may not like gay people but to live and let live isnt insighting people to murder their children and laughing about it. Thats just sick and twisted in every sense of the word.

4. how can we listen to jailbird , the only thing he might about is gun and drugs. he on break let him enjoy his time

5. hes an ignorant bigot obviously without any education. spouting hatred saying its a joke is just cowardly! im also not american the idiot.

1. He didn’t say you were an American. He said that trying to stop freedom of speech went against the American Constitution, and was therefore unAmerican. I’m sure he couldn’t give two figs whether you were an American or not.

“hes an ignorant bigot obviously without any education” – Seeing you don’t know how to use apostrophes, I would argue that your education was lacking. He may be a ‘bigot’ (whatever that means – one man’s bigot is another man’s ally), but it doesn’t mean he’s ignorant. He might posses the full facts about homosexuality but chooses not to like it.

“spouting hatred saying its a joke is just cowardly” – But most jokes are based on disgust or shared hatred towards something. In fact, many stand ups start gags with the line, “Don’t you just hate it…?”

Many people say, “I’d kill my son if he…”. Stop taking life too seriously, stop trying to annihilate one of the few freedoms that are worth fighting for: the freedom to say whatever we want to whomever we want

1. thanx for the corrections pompous

2. Just a year ago it was in the news that a toddler was beaten to death by his mother’s boyfriend for “acting like a girl.”

You know who else has the right to freedom of speech? People who find evilminded people like Tracey Morgan disgusting. People who will speak with their wallets and not buy tickets to shows that include him, and will tell media organizations that they will not consume media that involves him.

He has the right to say disgusting things, and people have the right to oppose him and encourage others to do so.

6. He is incorrect in assuming that “freedom of speech” guarantees a soapbox upon which to stand, or a sympathetic ear to listen to you. And as others have pointed out, if we substituted “gay” for racial speech, I am sure the little twerp would be happy to stand up and be offended. This notion that LGBT people have to sit quietly in the corner and put up with other people’s bigotry is a nonsense. I will not play nicely and sit at the back of anyone’s bus.

1. “And as others have pointed out, if we substituted ‘gay’ for racial speech, I am sure the little twerp would be happy to stand up and be offended.”

How do you know? Have you asked him? Why are you concentrating on his race?

Freedom of speech is just that, freedom of speech – and the freedom, therefore, to offend. It’s guaranteed that someone somewhere will be offended, even by the most inoffensive comment. There’s a huge difference between telling someone to bomb people and telling a joke about something that many parents secretly worry about.

1. You might want to check up on John Stuart Mill’s “Harm principle” the next time you assume free speech doesn’t come with any caveat whatsoever.

2. Why are you concentrating on his race?

Possibly because many of us still hope that those with experience of being at the receiving end of prejudice against minorities would have more sense or sympathy than to perpetuate similar prejudice against other minorities.

1. David Waite 28 Nov 2011, 7:59pm

Rehan, your succinct riposte earns an “AMEN!” from me, a black American atheist.

2. like the Jews in Israel? Funny I never hear that argument but put a black man in the picture and he is judged to a different standard. What do you call that again?

1. Exactly like the Jews in Israel, about whom it is frequently said – and certainly by me.

7. Hey hows about we go back to blacks sitting at the back of the bus, no voting rights and see how American he feels then.

1. Staircase2 5 Dec 2011, 6:26pm

You’re doing that thing again…

One black person says something homophobic and you’re talking about Jim Crow as a good thing!? What the fcvk is wrong with you?

8. I wonder to what extent he’d defend free speech if someone in the public eye “joked” that he’d kill his son if he ever went out with a “n1gger”?

Mind you, I do rather wonder why I’m even reacting to the opinion of some clearly not very bright ex-con.

1. Being a former prisoner does not equate with lack of intelligence.

He’d probably defend free speech in the same way, one assumes. Plus the fact at the joke was about someone’s son being homosexual not about someone’s son going out with one. Most parents don’t want a homosexual child, but one assumes that most Black parents want a Black child!

1. @ John: you are nitpicking, as is clear from your other posts. If it makes you happier I can rephrase it as ‘…some ex-con who’s clearly not very bright.’ And as it’s patently obvious that a white person will in most circumstances not have a black child (some onstances of twins excepted), my comment was analogous, something I really think you might be able to comprehend.

And one seriously doubts he would defend free speech in the same way, actually.

1. Typo – ‘instances’

9. jamestoronto 28 Nov 2011, 12:07pm

Is he implying that hatred and bigotry are “American” — oh wait they are. Next we’ll hear is that he is spokesman for the Republican Party.

This idiot is in a revolving door situation with prison. So he will very likely be chatting it up with his old cellmates in the very near future.

I’m another one who is “not American.”

1. This idiot probably doesn’t even vote

10. I’m so glad not to be American, where hate speech and bigotry is legal and encouraged.

1. Maybe you should go one step further and live in some soviet type country where you can only think the same things that are expressly allowed by the State – that all powerful god of the simple and the deluded. Ever thought about becoming a censor or inquisitor?

11. Free speech according to the American Constitution means that the government cannot impinge on your right to express whatever opinion you want.

Tracy Morgan has free speech.

And the gay community has freedom of speech to condemn Tracy Morgan.

TI is an incredibly stupid criminal.

I suspect he will be returning to jail. He clearly lacks the intelligence to stay out of jail.

1. Except, an American isn’t allowed to shout “fire” in a theatre and isn’t allowed to voice death threats to a politician, both prosecutable offences. So much for freedom of speech.

1. “an American isn’t allowed to shout “fire” in a theatre” FALSE – yes he is, and is encouraged to do so if there is a fire in there! Causing panic for no reason bar the immediate endangering of human life would be a reckless use of freedom. Also, free speech and shouting “Fire!” in theatre are not strictly related. A ruling in the Brandenburg v. Ohio in 1969 differentiated between freedom of speech and inciting imminent lawless action (like a riot or the unnecessary panic that falsely claiming their was a fire would cause). Freedom of speech does not guarantee the freedom to commit actual criminal acts (manslaughter or murder) – which could happen during riots or stampedes. The same goes with the issuing of an actual death threat – which is a crime. Jokingly saying that one would kill a non existent child is covered by free speech, as is the right to say, “I hate fish” (even if a fish might be offended by it). Stop turning this country into a fascist state!

1. I think the christians are doing a good enough job of turning the US into a fascist state that a few comments from are not going to tip the scales on that statement.

2. You know that children are people and fish aren’t, right?

12. This sort of thing, saying “if you have a right to be gay in peace, I have a right to be against it in peace” is so common nowadays I’m getting less and less offended each time I hear it, it’s just getting old.

13. Too many people, especially in America, fall into the trap of believing that freedom of speech means being able to say anything you like without having to face any consequences for doing so. Sure, getting incarcerated or silenced are beyond the pale, but getting roundly criticised, condemned and regarded as a nasty bigot are consequences one must expect when expressing such views.

14. ‘If you can take a d***, you can take a joke’
    The idiot is speaking from personal experience. Probably from both times he went to jail. He has failed to exercise judgement on his personal life so I wouldn’t take him seriously.
    It’s only a pity that there youths out there that look up to this wanna be thug and will be easily influenced by the tripe he has to spew.

15. You heard him, we can go back to making racist jokes and segregation. It’s only fair.

Then again, I would like to see an article on here from an entertainer who is not a dumbass.

1. Why would you want to? are you saying you’re no better than him?

16. So gay Americans can say stuff like if I had a daughter and she went out with a black man I would kill them both??

‘Cause I think that is hilarious

1. Just like the KKK do? You are in good company, because they ate able say that in America. Yes That’s free speech. What is punished is breaking the law. conduct, not speech

17. There’s also english people who didn’t like the joke and other from various countries.
    Making fun of groups is not very good at the best of times especially when it’s bigoted – would he be so OK with racism?

18. “The musician has been incarcerated for weapons and drug offences in the past, and was released from an 11-month sentence for violating probation on 29 September.2″. Not the type whose moral advice I give a damn about, myself.

19. Tell you what, I’m just thinking of putting together a white rap group called – oh, I don’t know, how about ‘The Jim Crow Combo’ – ? Our first release will probably be something like ‘Love a Lynching’.
    Same old story. It’s somehow only ‘a bit of fun’ ‘we shouldn’t get so sensitive about’ when it’s about lesbians and gays. Sickening.

20. To state in a public setting that if his son came out as gay he would kill him, is not free speech, even if he later tried to excuse it as a joke. Even if a court would state that it is free speech, it is mostly definitely totally tasteless. Besides, what kind of message is he sending to his son? And I am tired of people who can’t take criticism stating that their critic is un-American.

1. jamestoronto 28 Nov 2011, 4:19pm

It would seem that anyone can wrap themselves with the Stars & Stripes, rattle off three words from the US Constitution and then hurl degrading and hurtful insults at whatever group they choose; then they can brandish anyone who criticises them as “un-American”. He obviously hasn’t read much else he would know that the “un-American” term was repeatedly used by segregationists to describe the civil rights movement.

21. Jock S. Trap 28 Nov 2011, 4:59pm

If these “jokes” had been made towards the black community I suspect his reaction who be Very different. I doubt he’d be so forgiving nor tolerate being to told to take it as a joke or anothers right to say such hatred.
    I suspect he would rightly stand up and protect humanity so why so different? Does he need reminding that whether Gay, Lesbian or Bi.. we’re still human and deserve the same respect he feels he’s entitled too.
    It’s not about a thicker skin, the colour of it, the gender nor the orientation of the person it’s about the right to be respected and treated in a decent way.

1. In the US the KKK can pretty much say what they want. Rush Limbaugh and most talk radio hosts are openly homophobic so while I disagree with his opinion he has a right to state it

1. David Waite 28 Nov 2011, 8:19pm

And both T.I. and Tracy Morgan have the right to be vilified for stating their disgusting bigotry. They both have the right to lose income for parading their homophobia. I’m delighted whenever a bigot comes out of his closet, if it gives me the chance to hurt his wallet.
        I, an ACLU member, was entirely and enthusiastically in favor of defending the KKK’s right to march through Skokie, Illinois. My personal version of Voltaire’s famous mantra is “If I detest what you think, I will defend to the death your right to expose your putrescent thoughts aloud.”

1. Exactly what I’m saying let them show themselves but do not judge him by a different standard to Rush Limbaugh thats the defenition of racism

22. The KKK are not outlawed and can spout racist crap so even though I don’t agree he has a point.

23. That’s rich, a black man who’s race is being killed off by AIDS defends a anti gay joker in the US, the same America who still discriminates against blacks even though they have a black president who they make black jokes about. Maybe they are trying to keep people from making jokes about blacks and try to use LGBT people for jokes. Maybe if black and LGBT people worked together to stop jokes about blacks and gays and work to stop discrimination against blacks and LGBT people things might get better and blacks could be more open and stop AIDS from killing them off.

1. AIDS isn’t ‘kiiling’ off black people. There is a high prevalence of HIV in the black community – similar to ours.

24. its an awful thing to say in the first place..
    threatening to stab someone if they came out is just wrong..

25. Har Davids 28 Nov 2011, 5:51pm

Making jokes at the expense of groups of people doesn’t have to be a bad thing, but making a joke about killing your own child with so much homophobic bullying about? It is obvious that this guy, an all American he-man who know his Constitution, is a dick.

26. As I’ve mentioned before, sooner or later you come up against John Stuart Mill’s “Harm Principle” with free speech.
    At what juncture does free speech become freedom to oppress?

27. Another biggot who thinks gay people should just take the abuse and shut up as we deserve it.

Im tired of such fools. They are nothing but criminals and homophobes.

28. “those who complain are “not American””

So, free speech is not American?

29. What a moron. Using Freedom of Speech as an excuse for prejudice is just pathetic.

30. http://youtu.be/i47HoiM0Au8 as we are talking about free speech, both are entitled to their view but where do we draw the line. Free speech is not a platform to mount hate speech and incite hate crimes. Whether it be homophobia or racism it should never be tolorated.

31. Jon Andrews 29 Nov 2011, 10:08am

I found a way to save 7 minutes by FF through any scene in 30 Rock with Tracy Morgan in it. This bigot will have no platform in my home.

Course, after doing this (with huge satisfaction) for the first 2 episodes, I realised it as a he’ll of a lot easier to just not record the show any more.

I wonder how quickly Morgan would apologise for his hilarious joke if everyone stopped watching?

1. Jon Andrews 29 Nov 2011, 10:12am

Btw – a friend saw his stage show in USA recently. She said he was incoherent and drunk. I suspect Mr Morgan has bigger troubles in his life other than his ability to write jokes…

32. burningworm 30 Nov 2011, 11:22am

Tracy Morgan made a joke. Those who take comedians jokes seriously need a lobotomy. Its one of those jokes where you feel uncomfortable to laugh but because it happens it is funny. Not HA HA i’m gonna do that.

Comedy is sophisticated. I think there is an air of racist pursuit here.

Can you imagine for a second that this joke had more than the single layer that you initially come across. If so maybe the joke is smart and timely.

This comment is more to do with the Tracy Morgan routine than T.I.

33. “If you’re gay you should have the right to be gay in peace, and if you’re against it you should have the right to be against it in peace.””

Would he accept that argument with racist opinions aswell?
    The KKK should get the same right that this guy wants anti-gay people to have.

What a disgusting excuse for someone who can’t even sing.

34. Staircase2 5 Dec 2011, 6:30pm

As per usual you lot cant wait for an excuse to trot out your racist bile can you?

GROW UP PEOPLE
    LEARN TO REACT PROPERLY EH?

35. Jock S. Trap 15 Dec 2011, 11:29am

Seriously?
    Clearly two idiots don’t make matters better.