Vancouver man, 79, was stabbed 130 times for killer’s “fear of homosexuals”

1. Jason Brown 25 Nov 2011, 1:23pm

How do you accidentally stab someone 130 times? Psycho!

If anyone else is scared of gays please run away and lock yourself in your room as opposed to going on killing rampages.

2. Clearly if it had been an “accidental” stabbing then there would have been one stab would …

3. 130 times? By accident? Because of a fear? A fear that makes you stab someone 130 time, by accident?

How exactly?

Clearly the psychopath is a compulsive lair too who thinks everyone else is as demented as he is.

4. jamestoronto 25 Nov 2011, 2:08pm

I don’t care what bent theory the defence may use, this was NO accident. Hopefully the Crown will ask for a dangerous offender being invoked so that this psychopath will spend the rest of his days in a prison ward.

5. Eddy - from 2007 25 Nov 2011, 2:24pm

He says he has “a fear of homosexuals”.

He most certainly does.

But it’s clearly more than just “a fear of homosexuals”. It’s fear and utter HATRED.

Only utter hatred, whether under the influence of a drug or not, could cause someone to kill a person simply because that person is “a queer”.

6. Great so the killing spree of every bigot and homophobe rests on their cowardice resulting in hatred as a defence – Time for us to start our own killing sprees based on our fear of hetros and their desires to ‘cure’ us!

7. Some people say that homophobia is harmless and some say it doesn’t exist…

They are all very wrong and stupid.

8. Disgusting. I was about to write how stabbbing someone 130 times but ‘not meaning to kill them’ was ridiculous, then I stopped and actually imagined that number of stabs – totally sickening. That was a prolonged and determined attack. And he ‘killed him by accident’?

1. mmm…for the record, Holt was 65 years old at the time of the attack…….. 65 !!!

9. Lord Botley 25 Nov 2011, 4:08pm

It’s amazing what can happen by accident. A straight guy I knew never got his girlfriends pregnant – they ‘got themselves pregnant’. My ex-boyfriend was never unfaithful – he would ‘end up in bed with somebody’. Obviously mischievous spirits are responsible for all these things.

10. I’ve yet to hear of a gay person stabbing a street corner god-botherer and then claiming it was because they were scared of bigots. And let’s face it, a gay person who is scared of religious bigots actually has something to be scared about.

11. There was a time when the “he made a homosexual advance” defence carried some weight. Hopefully it doesn’t anymore. But there will always be inadequate psychopaths who will try it on.

12. By the sounds of it, this guy’s still high on cocaine if he thinks this sort of defence will hold any weight in a 21st century court of law. And I suppose the KKK can also be excused because of their unfortunate fear of black people? I know this seems a pretty isolated case in that the guy’s a lunatic, but I do think part of the problem is that too often, people are too soft on homophobes because they assume they’re just scared of gays or don’t understand them (Hence the word homophobe- much nicer than racist or anti-semite).

1. Agreed. It’s called hatred not fear. Sometimes I wish there was a “solution finale” for these roaming psychopaths who go on and carry their evil deeds and often get away with it.

13. I live in Vancouver and I actually know this sicko’s nephew (not by choice)…. the whole family is a bunch of screw ups. It doesn’t start or end with this piece of garbage! Lock his ass up and throw away the key!!

14. GingerlyColors 26 Nov 2011, 6:15am

Homophobia. ‘Phobia’ means fear. A fear is something that people may have of spiders and snakes or being in a confined space. Fear does not necessarily mean ‘hatred’. Therefore ‘homophobia’ means a ‘fear’ of gay people. How on earth can anybody be scared of gay people? Instead of ‘homophobia’ maybe we should devise a more appropriate word to describe hatred of gay people.

1. Spanner1960 28 Nov 2011, 11:25am

I agree. The trouble is, it is tricky, and so far I have never heard a word that truly fits.
      “Sexualityism” would be the closest, but it sounds awful.

15. A HUNDRED AND THIRTY TIMES? A 65yo man? How much hatred would you need to have in your heart to do anything like that? It really is beyond comprehension. The word ‘issues’ seems hopelessly feeble in this context.

16. MyLyricalDreams 28 Nov 2011, 9:55pm

Yes. An accident.

Sorry. I accidentally tripped into you with knife 130 times.

My bad.

17. The guy probably had muscle spasms. But more seriously the guy really had some dark corners in his mind. IF he really had a fear of homosexuals then he has to explain WHY he has such a fear. Even then it wouldn’t excuse killing someone like he did.

18. Tony Romanelli 29 Nov 2011, 6:02am

Any hate crime sickens me but stabbing an old man 130 times is beyond belief. If these people are so uncomfortable around any person who challenges their sensibilities why live amongst decent folk. I say put them all on a boat and take them to a remote island somewhere (except Australia!) and leave themn to their own devices!!!!!!

19. Jock S. Trap 15 Dec 2011, 11:17am

Absolute disgrace.

I hope this man never sees freedom again. Clearly he is a danger to society and has no place in it.