Rourke in training with gay rugby club for Gareth Thomas film

1. Who is this veteran ‘Rouke’ bloke?

Could PN possibly mean Mickey Rourke?

1. jamestoronto 24 Nov 2011, 7:11pm

You clearly need glasses. The article clearly says Mickey Rourke. Not a Rouke to be seen.

2. Have to say I wouldnt have expected Rourke as a choice to play Thomas ….

1. Spanner1960 25 Nov 2011, 12:14pm

Me neither. A very odd choice.

3. Just saw him in The Immortals, but couldn’t understand a word of his mumbling. Otherwise visually quite a hot movie, but a bit crap in the storytelling.

1. Glad it wasn’t just me… though I think that giving the characters the emotional range of a cardboard cutout was part of the problem. A bit of personality and a less leaden script goes a long way.
      As for Rourke doing this biopic he would’ve been a good choice a few years back but he’ll have to marinade in Nivea 24/7 if he’s going to pass for someone 20 years younger.

1. And subtitles will help.

4. If any US actor was up for this role, I would have chosen Woody Harrelson, He looks a bit more like GT than Rourke. Have a feeling Thomas is being used by Rourke, a lovey trying to resurrect his career. It’s not made yet and I just know it’s going to be awful. America does crap sports movies, it will be slush and soft-focus. TV movie material. A gritty British production would have left me with more confidence. I’ve always been a fan of Gareth’s and am sorry to have this opinion.

1. Agree completely.

2. Spanner1960 25 Nov 2011, 12:17pm

Why should it be an American? The man’s Welsh FFS!
      Why are yanks so obsessed with using their own people when they always end up fcking it up? I know most South Africans refuse to watch the excellent “Blood Diamond” simply because of the Godawful accents.

5. Is this film set 25 years in the future?

I like Mickey Rourke, but isn’t he a bit old for the part?

1. Thats one of my thoughts …

He has acted well in a number of films and TV series – but I just do not see Rourke as playing a 37 year old Thomas (let alone Thomas in his younger days)

6. jamestoronto 24 Nov 2011, 7:17pm

Not my choice for the role but have not been a fan of Rourke’s latest works. At least he’ll need to shave and get a haircut to be a credible Gareth Thomas. Who knows he may surprise us all but we will have to wait and see.

7. Lord Botley 24 Nov 2011, 7:51pm

I have an awful feeling that the effect will be bizarre.

8. Is there a working title for this film? I can’t find anything about it on the Internet Movie Database:-

9. colonelkira 24 Nov 2011, 9:43pm

Bad reporting……………Ian Roberts came out nearly 15 years before Gareth did!……….Where’s his movie?

10. Can’t stand the guy. But he was incredible in the Wrestler. Not sexy enough to play Gareth Thomas though. Has Thomas got collagen in his lips? No.

11. Haha Who the hell is he kidding himself- a 57 year old trying to play a professional athlete????? Get over yourself Micky Rourke, worst casting ever!!!!

12. Hmm… Who is funding this? Who is the writer? I heard Rourke saying that HE was writing it(?) GIven that the average age of the average movie go-er is something like 8-18, I can’t see a big audience for the film especially in the US where the subject of homosexuality is not exactly, shall we say, box office material, to say nothing of the fact that Rourke is 60 next year. I think this will bomb. GT should be better advised.

13. It might be a difficult and delicate position for GT to tell M Rourke to select another actor. Fof the sake of the credibility of this movie,I can only pray that Mickey realises himself how inadequate is personna would fit the portrayal. Maybe someone needs to slip him a note. My choice : Jason Statham,

14. so every man who comes out is a hero? Rubbish it’s just normal why make it such a big deal. Years ago disabled people who be patronised and treated as “special”. Rourke is doing the same by making this crap. We aint heros we aint special we are like the rest of you but this keeps us at a distance.

btw Hollywood keeps queens in the closet so a film from there about us is a ridicilous idea

1. What? Is English not your first language or are you drunk too?

2. jamestoronto 25 Nov 2011, 12:46pm

What are you babbling on about? Sober up!

1. You guys cannot resist can you. pair of masochists

1. Resist what? Teaching an idiot how to write? I mean, seriously, your English is like that of a mentally retarded five year old. Its embarrassing. But I’m a humanitarian, what can I say.

1. I might be wrong but I suspect Troll is James! playing

2. “masochists”? They tell you that you’re an idiot, and thats your response?!? LOL. Wow, you’re soooo clever, troll, confusing and messing with everyone’s head like that.

1. my point is i post a piece of crap and you guys are all over it instead of ignoring it. and will using retarded is discriminatory. People with learning disabilities are not fair game

2. Jock S. Trap 15 Dec 2011, 10:26am

maybe not but you are.

3. Jock S. Trap 15 Dec 2011, 10:25am

erm what now?

15. carrie baker 29 Nov 2011, 1:36am

The lgbt gay soccor team has a right to have thier soccer team without violence from the hetersexual men, why when all the other hetersexual soccer teams are up and running would they want to go and intrude on the gay team anyway, gay teams have to have their own protections from the evil and violent hetersexuals, its a national security issue, all of these people have been behind a lot of trouble because of their racism, any hetersexual person involved on a team with or against a gay , person should be automatically warned that if any fight started by them breaks out are they harm any one of the players, that they will be put in prison immediatley for the assault, More and more people are getting sick of these hetersexual bigots, they are nothing but trouble makers, and nuasance, to our entire nations, everywhere, their sickening , They must be monitored around all gay people by lgbt laisons officeers and human rights , and other advocates of human rights nationwide,

1. Jock S. Trap 15 Dec 2011, 10:24am

carrie, carrie, carrie…

16. carrie baker 29 Nov 2011, 1:56am

This world series gay soccer team, has a right to have an all gay soccer team, because of the violent assault and abuses, on their own lgbt families, and them as well, its a national security, issure, this is not a bunch people who just up and say we dont want you to play with us, these are people who have been assaulted , and abused and physically and emotionally assaulted, hertersexual are a national security risk for lgbt people, as well as there on families, who are terroroized by them mainly the men, but even some wicked women of bigotry

1. Rourke is a known homophobe!

1. Jock S. Trap 15 Dec 2011, 10:25am

really?

17. Your Mother 30 Nov 2011, 3:30am

I play on the only gay rugby team in L.A. and he has not trained with us.

18. Being a member of the only openly gay amateur gay rugby team in Los Angeles (LA Rebellion), I think this article is crap. The reason for this is because Mickey Rourke has not been to a single practice with our team. What do you have to say about that?

19. Yeah, I ain’t seen him at our practices. Someone needs to get their story corrected.

…and that team would be:

20. Jock S. Trap 15 Dec 2011, 10:24am

I just don’t see this working.