Benetton withdraws ad featuring Pope in manipulated kiss, but Obama and others remain

1. Well if they felt that strongly about their message then they wouldn’t have removed the image from their campaign? It feels a bit of a sell out to do that? Then again I have absolutely no regard for the Pope or any of his minions or their feelings and make no apologies for it, so perhaps I’m biased.

2. an original approach, and I do get the message !!

1. Right the Catholic Church preaches love so why not kiss your enemies and love them?

3. Seeing as he is the leader of the catholic cult, and seeing as the catholic cult worked titelessly over generations to protect and industrial scale of child rape among its clergy, I am glad the pope-snogging picture has been removed.

We should not want to be linked in any way to a paedo-protector who used to be a member of Hilter Youth (and who to this day applies the lessons he learned there to gay people and women instead of jewish people)

1. de Villiers 17 Nov 2011, 8:31pm

6 million Jews were murdered. Those are the lessons. It’s incomparable to words from feeble men in dresses.

4. jamestoronto 17 Nov 2011, 3:11pm

Quite a unique ad campaign. The Obama-centred ones should drive people in the US crazy. The Obama followers will not be happy with them and the Obama-haters will really play them up. (Some will probably even be dense enough to think they are real photos)

1. I guess I’m an Obama follower (not sure what you mean, but if that means that I voted for him in the last election and will be voting for him in the next, then I am). I find the ads extremely well done and evocative. I am happy with the Obama ones, actually with all of them. I see the point that Bennetton is trying to make. Of course, I would have had the Pope genuflecting in the playground of a boys’ school for more accuracy.

5. Jock S. Trap 17 Nov 2011, 3:20pm

I like it. It was be nice it they were actual as most seem to be from warmongering countries.

Silly me war is far more acceptable than any love or kissing.

Don’t agree with them removing the Popes pics since he is one of one’s most guilty for his hate of others.

1. jamestoronto 17 Nov 2011, 4:33pm

The scourge of his Hitler Youth days are still creeping out after all these years.

6. “The Vatican said: “This shows a grave lack of respect for the Pope, an offence to the feelings of believers, a clear demonstration of how publicity can violate the basic rules of respect for people”.”

That’s rich. Perhaps the Vatican could also explain why the rubbish spouted by the pope violates the rights and respect for many LGBT people all over the world?

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 17 Nov 2011, 8:01pm

Damn, you got in before me… wish I hadn’t worked late tonight!! The Vatican would do we to heed their own words and not push their hoaxy belief system down the throats of vulnerable young people.

1. As well as other things down those same throats.

7. Shocking! How dare those people from Benetton show the pope as though he were prepared to be tolerant of, and even embrace, a leader of another religion?

8. I like the campaign …

If I had been Benetton, I would have responded with a comment along the lines of “If the Pope wishes to gain respect, he has to earn respect … The image demonstrate with reasonable satire the hypocracy of the Pope supporting some human rights but yet denying them to so many … The campaign paired two people who could not possibly have met, therefore the satire is clear and obvious to anyone who has a sense of humour … Benetton stand by their camapign”.

Unfortunately, they withdrew this portion of the campaign

1. “The campaign paired two people who could not possibly have met”

Well, they COULD meet – they are both still alive. Couldn’t find out a lot about el-Tayeb; he does seem to be a reformer, although that doesn’t stretch to approving LGBT rights.

1. My search suggested he died some time ago and had been imprisoned for many years … I might have made an error – I shall check later …

1. Nonetheless, my comments about the Pope needing to earn respect remain …

9. Liking the poster in itself but after all these years I’m still mystified what tenuous link their “socially aware” ad campaigns have to do with selling knitted cardigans.
    Call me old fashioned but shouldn’t the product they’re flogging feature in there somewhere?
    I’d better get myself the DVD boxset of ‘Madmen’ and find out what the hell I’m supposed to make of it.

10. Mumbo Jumbo 17 Nov 2011, 6:04pm

Here is the withdrawn image:

11. Why the Catholics got their Pope’s picture of him kissing another man removed, the same way they remove all of the Catholics pedophile priest from the news around the world, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di04_vKfqNw

12. “The Vatican said: “This shows a grave lack of respect for the Pope, an offence to the feelings of believers, a clear demonstration of how publicity can violate the basic rules of respect for people”.”

Well Benedict really would know all about that, wouldn’t he? He’s shown more disrespect to others than most leaders, he has offended more feelings than just about anyone I can think of and he seems to respect only himself and his corrupt institution!!
    WHERE is the respect for the victims of child abuse – bleating about how ‘hurt’ the Church is by the actions of a few is grossly DISrespectful; actively covering up the abuse of children offends the feelings of believers and non-believers alike!!!

Benedict – if you want to be shown respect, then you had better learn to show respect yourself. Respect does NOT come with a job description – it has to be earned …….. and so far you’ve done a seriously piss-poor job of earning any!!!

1. It amazes me that when we hear people banging on about “respect”, those doing the preaching are actually those who show least respect for anyone else. During his tenure as Pope, Ratzinger has shown a staggering lack of respect for gay people, women, Muslims – in fact anyone who doesn’t shut up and pay up.

1. He is one of the biggest losers on the face of the planet as far as I’m concerned and if anything the campaign is better off without his evil image contaminating it. Everything about him and the corruption he rules over disgusts me utterly.

13. If you think that depicting someone in a mutual kiss of love is offensive and disrespectful then you are clearly a very twisted individual indeed.

14. Same sex kiss aside, I would question the good taste of using a man who is directly responsible for covering up the systematic rape and torture of children by his employees. This has obviously achieved what Benetton wanted – we’re talking about them again.

15. P A Mag LOCHLAINN 18 Nov 2011, 1:34pm

So it’s okay to poke fun at Obama and Hu Jintao – but we can’t do the same for Benedict? I’m sick of these Special Rights for Religion.
    What next? Death to all Infidels – like your extreme Muslim pals?

1. Actually, what this news agency failed to report was the fact that a) the ad poster of the Pope was pulled because it was a beach of copyright, and b) the White House has also asked the company to remove the image of the US President as it contravenes their rights over his image. In other words, if a clothes company want to use someone’s image in an ad campaign, they should pay the person and, at the very least, ask their permission first.

Another example of mindless anti-Catholicism by the intolerant and misinformed.

16. Pink News seems to have failed to report the fact that a) the poster of the Pope was pulled because it was a beach of copyright, and b) the White House has also asked (in the strongest terms) the company to remove the image of the US President as it contravenes their rights over his image.

Another example of mindless anti-Catholicism by the intolerant and misinformed.

1. “Another example of mindless anti-Catholicism by the intolerant and misinformed.”

As opposed to the mindless cathoilcs who think they can tell everyone what to do because they are scientifically misinformed and intolerant?

17. de Villiers 19 Nov 2011, 11:28am

It is too easy to be lazy when approaching this issue in saying that because the Catholic church is guilty of grave crimes that it is therefore appropriate to denigrate the Pope by manipulating photographs about him and insulting millions of Catholics.

I cannot understand why we, as gay individuals, cannot live and let live. The whole purpose of us all having equal rights is to enable each of us to do what we ourselves want without interfering or deliberately upsetting others.

Many of us may have little regard for the Pope. Still, surely we do want to appear either heartless and shrill towards others in wanting to see them upset or, even worse, delighting in the discomfort of others. Otherwise, really, the only rights we are seeking are the rights to annoy and oppress others.

There is no need for us to define ourselves always against those with whom we disagree or to show sly and conniving delight in their discomfort.

1. Patronising twat, get over yourself.

2. de Villiers 19 Nov 2011, 6:45pm

What a disappointment, Rob. And how easy to say that from your position of anonymous obscurity. Sad.

18. How dare the Vatican claim to speak for all believers.

I, believe in tolerance and to live and let live.

God knows what goes on within the Vatican!!!

1. Here is a little of what goes on, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di04_vKfqNw

19. If the Christians can fool the Jews they can trick you. http://www.jewishjournal.com/opinion/article/dont_be_fooled_20111102/
    no trick picture needed.

20. Stephen Sovie 20 Nov 2011, 9:29am

I like the ads persnonally. I don’t see why everyone is so upset. Maybe because they are not realistic. The y should have shown the leaders exhbiting some hateful or violent act. That would have been more real!

21. ...Paddyswurds 28 Jan 2013, 2:14pm

Joe Ratzinger, an ex naz1 deserves no respect, firstly because of his support for the vile Naz1 party and secondly because of his support and enabling of the disgusting army of paedophiles he currently presides over….