Topless US trans woman charged with indecent exposure as a man

1. So it’s indecent exposure in Tennessee if a man takes his shirt off…?

Surely if they’re charging her with indecent exposure, they’re saying she’s female?

1. C Bryan King 16 Nov 2011, 1:17pm

My thoughts exactly! Kind of put themselves in a spot didn’t they. They either have to admit she’s a woman or drop the charges.

1. September Meadows 16 Nov 2011, 1:29pm

Unfortunately they didn’t put themselves in a spot. There are a dozen laws that they can charge her for violating as a man. Basically, they will charge her for disturbing the peace, intent on causing public mischief, and state that any man that wants to get breast implants better keep them to himself or spend time in jail. They’ll make an example of her if they can.

1. Hers are real, not implants. Plus, TN Law states that the only way a man can be charged with indecent exposure, is to show the lower Genitals. It Specifically states that ONLY a female falls under the breast exposure law. It is in Black and White. I read the entire law myself. She was charged as a Female. And The State just put its foot in its mouth. We are currently going over information to sue the State, that if a Doctor says your a Fefmale, you are a female, as Stated and Recognized by the Federal Government, and to reform and modernize Policies to mirrir the US Dept of State Guidelines.

2. Carla Lewis 16 Nov 2011, 3:44pm

While you are correct, they could have charged her with other things, the didn’t. They cannot now change the charges, especially since she has been locked up for 23 days without being convicted. However, I have a feeling that if any of us try the same action, they will be more careful in what they charge us with. My only hope is that the judge does not dismiss the case and the prosecutor does not drop the charges, else she has lost her job, freedom, and dignity for nothing and one more chance to change this backward state will have slipped away.

1. They charged her with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest as well. But the base charge was indecent exposure.

2. this is rediculous , by charging her with indecent exposire they are accepting thats she is female as men can walk around with thier tops off

1. LOL!

And this coming form the person who commented yesterday “ays the AIDS riddled nutter with the morals of an industrial much spreader and a lfe of AZT ahead. Beachy Head would be my advice to you!”

I means seriously, clearly a problem with alcohol abuse as much as a failed “ex-gay conversion”, and you have the cheek to correct someone! LOL! Muppet. A hypocrite AND a fool. What are the odds…..

2. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 16 Nov 2011, 8:58pm

Ah, so we know that the proxy-moron Keef has a subservient personality – such a good godsucker. When the revolution comes… indeed.

3. She makes a very good point if she is a man she would be fine to walk around with her top off, and so she cannot be charged.

4. September Meadows 16 Nov 2011, 1:10pm

I have a friend from Idaho who is planning a topless sit-in on the steps of the state capitol for a similar reason. The state of Idaho refuses to change gender markers on birth certificates, period. Even though she has had all the surgeries, and has been living as a woman for over 10 years, no matter.
    She is looking for as many willing trans peeps as she can find to sit with her on the steps and make a loud statement.

5. I don’t understand why gender is relevant in a drivers licence. Why does gender need to be mentioned?

1. jamestoronto 16 Nov 2011, 2:07pm

Maybe for name clarification where the person’s name can be used by both sexes. Just a thought.

2. September Meadows 16 Nov 2011, 2:13pm

Because if you have to be arrested then the arresting officers are required by law to handle you according to your sex. They can get into serious trouble if they do not. Other than that, there are the bars and clubs that do ladies night and check your ID for that marker and age. Except for safety reasons that have to do with propriety I don’t see any real reason for the markers.

1. Ladies nights are just sexist anyway. People should be treated the same irrespective of gender. As for being handled by the police I know a few girls who could do a lot of damage to a police man and few men who couldn’t fight their way through a piece of wet toilet paper.

1. September Meadows 16 Nov 2011, 2:31pm

Ladies nights are not necessarily sexist and are based in financial gain, not misogyny.
          As for being handled by the police, I was referring to searches, cell assignments, etc. Not fighting. Anyone stupid enough to resist arrest gets what they deserve, regardless of sex and gender.

3. The reason is Employers discriminate big time in TN. The M on a Females Drivers License is what dictates what law you fall under in TN. She lost her job because of the jail time. Another Guilty before Proven Innocent. TN in a whole, is completely stuck in the Dark Ages and its laws on personal protections with employment, Rights, and justices are still dated unchanged since the 1960’s. TN is in the top 4 worst states in the Country.

1. jamestoronto 16 Nov 2011, 3:04pm

It seems Tennessee has a long way to go just to catch up with the turn of the century. I did some quick research — not only no laws are on the books to protect gays, a state law has been passed forbidding any lower level of government from enacting any laws or policies protecting sexual orientation. Crazy.

2. Carla Lewis 16 Nov 2011, 3:38pm

Kei, we need to talk. I’m sure there are a lot of people like you and me trying to change Tennessee. If we could combine our efforts we may make more of an impact. I spoke with Andrea yesterday and she seems to be a really sweet young woman. Many of us have wanted to do the same thing she did, but we have all been too rational or too cowardly.

1. Carla Lewis 16 Nov 2011, 3:40pm

Well crap, I guess there is no mechanism for you to contact me through the comments section. Google “manicsquirrel” and you will find my website. You can contact me through the “Contact Me” link or via twitter.

6. jamestoronto 16 Nov 2011, 2:05pm

What kind of a convoluted justice system do they have in Tennessee? You’re a man for one purpose but a woman for another. Only in the States!!

1. Nope. I’m Intersex, so not covered by the UK GRA. No Gender Recognition Certificate for me.

Which means my UK passport says F based on my biology, and my UK birth certificate says “boy” based on appearance at birth.

7. Well, she may not have implants but could have been on hormones and had natural breast development, but everything else you state is correct. TN, ID and other states are VERY bigoted to ANY LGBT rights. I live in TX where they will allow you to change your birth certificate (if you were born in this state), but since I was born in England and Texas is one of 5 states that did NOT sign some kind of ‘gender pact’, the English will NOT allow me to change my birth certificate — even though I have had gender reassignment surgery..!

8. Only in Crazy Christian America!

9. Another Hannah 16 Nov 2011, 5:46pm

Good for her, I once thought of doing something similar here myself before they changed the law. These people are bigots and fools, and here they look like it! Some kind of justice anyway. America making itself look stupid, dum, thick as usual. Going down the pan now as a result of the bigotry…..soon be behind China unless they start WW3 of course…..

10. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 16 Nov 2011, 9:10pm

The land of the free and the home of the brave? What a joke. Tennessee sounds like a cultural backwater. Poor Andrea has suffered enough, leave her be I say. What on earth can be gained by imprisoning her for crying out loud?!

11. Janet Lameck 16 Nov 2011, 10:17pm

If women can’t go topless then Men have no right to either, we can’t have double standards in the law.

12. this is all kinds of stupid…

Good on her for makign a stand and showing the world just HOW stupid.

13. Her troubles are not over. She supposedly got her gender marker changed at Social Security. However, you can ONLY do that if you’ve had sex reassignment surgery, which she has NOT had. I believe she’s had an orchiectomy only. So if Social Security get wind of this she probably will lose her federal female status.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m was born transsexual myself, but what she did was stupid.

14. What is it with this obsession with breasts anyways? Seriously. Why should men have the right to expose theirs and women can’t in the States? In Canada we have had the right to go topless for ages. Google Gwen Jacobs. She fought all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada for her right to be equal. Canada rocks,,,we have the right to marry, the right to go topless AND the right to be the gender we inherently are. Just sayin’,,,,,

15. More proof (if needed that they legal lay out of the States is deeply flawed and doesn’t work.

16. GingerlyColors 17 Nov 2011, 1:16pm

Nowadays, women wear trousers, men wear skirts (they do north of Carlisle!), but while men can walk round shirtless (one of my reasons why I enjoy hot weather), women still have to cover their breasts. In order to have true equality in dress either force men to wear a vest or even a bra, or better still, allow women to walk round topless. And this should also clear up the discrepency when it comes to transgendered people.

17. Staircase2 18 Nov 2011, 1:02am

Bless ya! Good on yer, Andrea!
    Smart thinking!
    The words ‘stupid bastards’ spring to mind. Good for you for exposing their stupidity and hypocrisy!

18. So they charged a “man” for showing off “his” breasts.

That takes a special kind of mental gymnastics to pull off.

I think she made a point… I’m not sure what point anymore but sttill…

19. Carla Lewis 25 Nov 2011, 11:06pm

Not be greedy, but when WATE broke this story the other night, I was fumed. The next morning I was able to get Andrea’s phone number an call her. From that personal interview, I wrote a comprehensive blog post.

Over the last year I have brought to public awareness some of the antics of Tennessee’s most homophobic legislator, Stacy Campfield, the assault of transgender woman Akisha Adonis at the Kohl’s Black Friday sale, and most notably the alleged homophobic arson of Carol Ann and Laura Stutte’s home.

In each of these, plus Andrea’s situation, I seem to be the only one willing to pickup the phone and talk to the subject of the story. Yet time and time again, my material is harvested without attribution.

I originally reported that she had been in jail of 23 days, when, in fact, it turned out to be only 21. If there had been attribution in this blog post (or in the blog post that you obtained your information from), I would have known who to send a correction to.

20. J. Teeple 6 Jan 2012, 5:05pm

I’d love an update to this story.