Killer of David Kato receives 30 year prison sentence

1. A police spokesman had told Reuters: “He has confessed to the murder. It wasn’t a robbery and it wasn’t because Kato was an activist. It was a personal disagreement but I can’t say more than that.”

Of course we believe him, Uganda is so uncorrupted. Still, at least his killer got a prison sentence – one could, be forgiven in thinking that in twisted little Uganda he’d get a ticker-tape parade.

Wonder how long it will be for Rich/Gaddafi to drop in and scream something offensive about a murdered man?

2. I don’t know what prison sentences are typically like for murder in Uganda, but it did make me wonder if his sentence was any harsher because he was gay

1. Be glad that he actually got a punishment.

Got me thinking, personal disagreement? is it something like, ‘personal disagreement’ of homosexuals’ right to live?

1. Oh I am! Murdering one of the country’s foremost gay rights activists was a real blow to human rights in Uganda and a massive setback.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Nov 2011, 11:52am

Why do I get the feeling you were following that with a sentence starting with but..?

2. In backward little Uganda, its more likely his sentence would be LESS harsh, simply becuase the victim was gay. Not too keen on human rights or justice is Uganda.

3. Jock S. Trap 14 Nov 2011, 11:51am

A poor, pathetic arguement meant to justify murder against Gays/Lesbians there Sal, me thinks.
      New low – You should be ashamed!!

3. I really wonder if the killer of David Kato has received justice, or if this confession was beaten out of an innocent man? Either way, I find it interesting that he got 30 years for murder, but Uganda wants to kill you if you are gay.

1. Have to admit it sounded a little suspect to me too to be pinning it on a supposed rent boy… but in the absence of any other leads I guess there’s no alternative but to take their word for it.

2. Father Dougal 10 Nov 2011, 3:55pm

I have read horrifying stories of gay men being tortured into false confessions by the police in Uganda. There were stories of 3 men and a car stopping at Kato’s house before the murder, before this “confession” now conveniently disposes of the issue.

Once again Peter Tatchell opens his mouth too soon. We need to know more from the local activists.

4. I just do not believe that a guy like David Kato would need to hire a rent boy, especially in the circumstances typical of Uganda, and in view of the fact that Kato was a gay activist.

It doesn’t add up.

Still, it looks like justice has been done.

5. jamestoronto 10 Nov 2011, 3:49pm

None of this adds up. I am highly suspicious of the whole thing. I wouldn’t surprise me to hear – a while down the road that he is killed or commits “suicide” while in prison before he tells the actual story. Or a miraculous prison escape and then never to be heard from again.

6. Father Dougal 10 Nov 2011, 3:57pm

I would never trust a confession beaten out of a suspect, as often happens in Uganda.

7. Father Dougal 10 Nov 2011, 4:43pm

Here is a very skeptical local bloggers point of view, with more details of the evidence:

8. Father Dougal 10 Nov 2011, 4:48pm

And here is an item from GayUganda on how “confessions” are obtained in Uganda:

1. any idea why gug has stopped blogging?

1. Father Dougal 11 Nov 2011, 10:55am

Probably just exhausted, I don’t think it’s ominous.

9. Father Dougal 10 Nov 2011, 5:18pm

“The suddenness of today’s proceedings before anyone was even notified of the trial and sentencing only added to those doubts. Frank Mugisha, who is in Washington, D.C. to receive the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award today, posted on his Facebook page, “It is disheartening that this trial happened secretly and hurriedly with out any one knowing about it and leaves many questions unanswered.”

10. “The man pleaded guilty [in Uganda] so we can assume police got the right person” !!!

1. Father Dougal 11 Nov 2011, 12:11am

My reaction too. Not to mention he may have done so to avoid being hanged…always a strong incentive, guilty or not.

2. Jock S. Trap 14 Nov 2011, 11:56am

Well yes, good point serenity.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Nov 2011, 11:56am

Erm….?

11. I agree that this is odd, given the atmosphere in Uganda. The authorities seem a little too keen to deny that Kato’s gay rights work got him killed. Kato was in the international public eye and it all has a whiff of wanting to show a critical world that Uganda is prepared to deal firmly with homophobic violence. I wonder what happens to the killers or attackers of less famous victims?

12. GingerlyColors 12 Nov 2011, 8:58pm

What would normally be the sentence for murder in Uganda? Death? At least David Kato’s killer got longer than he would normally in a British court, and I doubt if prison conditions in Uganda are as good as those here.

13. Jock S. Trap 14 Nov 2011, 11:55am

An appalling crime. The sentence is strong but lets hope it remains strong and not just one while they have media attention.
    The like of David Kato should be regarded as heros in Uganda not treated in the appalling manner they area. Will society turn though… what against religious america fruitloops.