French paper publishes “gay Mohammed” cartoon

1. Jon Andrews 8 Nov 2011, 10:40am

“Disgusting & disgraceful”??? I take it the poor Prophet Mohammed is mute on this matter himself. Maybe too busy with whatever Mohammeds do to comment himself?

How does that work then – our Prophet is super powerful but needs us to bomb the crap out of anyone who will upset his sensitivity?

I’m kinda confused on what are my responsibilities as a human required to worship deities, you see.

2. Dr Robin Guthrie 8 Nov 2011, 10:48am

Oh deary me.

The cr@p will certainly hit the fan now…..

1. I fear you may be correct ….

Amusing though the cartoon is ….

2. Eddy - from 2007 8 Nov 2011, 8:19pm

Bravo, Hebdo! Bravo, Hebdo!

May all the newspapers of the world follow suit!

It’s fine to mock the deluded followers of every other religion and we must insist on our absolutely right to mock the deluded followers of Islam!!!

PinkNews, YOU are a newspaper. Have you the gumption to do anything like Hebdo is doing?????

1. Agreed. We do have the right to ridicule stupidity.

1. Stupidity, sure …

Satire is a better tool to ridicule though (IMHO)

3. How did they invite Mohammed to do the editing? Via a seance?

4. Locus Solus 8 Nov 2011, 11:39am

“Viano tormenty”

I think the violence that comes from the Muslim community in Europe is sick. Before long will be a greater than or equal to violent response from the well educated and more moderate western community (as opposed to retard far right ilk).
    I can’t say I’m a fan of people coming to “the west” for a new life, only to treat us as infidels who must be killed, and to disagree with our liberal laws.

1. Staircase2 9 Nov 2011, 3:38am

‘violent response from the well educated’….!? isnt that a contradiction in terms?

See the biggest problem you lot have is in lacking the vocabulary necessary to make a response to any kind of bigotry without falling into bigotry yourselves…

The front page was obviously deliberately designed to offend Muslims – this triggered a (predictable & sought after) response by offended Muslim groups. THIS triggered a predictably kneejerk response from you lot on here!

This was all manufactured by the magazine to stir up anti-Muslim feeling.

Its so obvious – we dont need a degree in Media Studies to see that….

1. Locus Solus 9 Nov 2011, 9:31am

hehehe, “You lot”, love it, and “degree in Media Studies” woot.
        I think it’s pretty naive to think that violence == poorly educated, the two are hardly diametrically opposed. I don’t doubt for a second they put this up to piss off muslims, but (IMHO) it was meant to be a response to the previous firebombing of their offices when they published the first cartoon, which in itself was as a response to the death of the guy who published the cartoon of Mo in the first place… The phrase “wackjob” gets ballyhooed around often, but it’s just so applicable to this!

2. burningworm 11 Nov 2011, 9:09am

It is militancy not religion and you should not confuss the two.

5. “Be God’s Curse On You! We Will be Your Curse on Cyber World!”
    or to put it another way
    “That’s very Christian (muslim); believe what I say or I’ll hurt you”

6. George Broadhead 8 Nov 2011, 12:06pm

Unfortunately many LGBTI people are reluctant to condemn widespread Islamic homophobia for fear of being branded racist.

1. the tide is turning – when every superstition wants us dead or re-criminalized it’s time to defend our right to exist -

1. But not every person who holds the bizarre belief systems are aginst gay people – we do have some of them on our side …

Not enough of them …

and those that are against us are ridiculous in their volume and need challenging …

1. Very very few religious groups are on our side. They are the exception which proves the rule – religious groups are hate-filled, undemocratc mobs of bigots.

1. I think you exaggerate the smallness …

But I concede that is probably (partly) due to the lack of volume in the media and elsewhere in terms of support …

We need to accept our allies though

2. I, and many, have no trouble condemning it. Islamic homophobia is exhibited very rarely to most of us. 95% or more of the religiously inspired bigotry and direct discrimination comes from christianity and so that is what gets condemned most of the time.

1. More than happy to condemn bigotry wherever it comes from, Muslims, Christians or non believers … None of it should be tolerated or accepted

3. BJ Holcomb 8 Nov 2011, 4:36pm

We need to treat others with respect if we want to be treated with respect. Don’t dishonor other religions. they have the right to believe as they wish. I don’t want to see anyone disrespecting Christ and I don’t disrespect any other faiths.

1. Rayne Van-Dunem 8 Nov 2011, 8:25pm

In the case where religion attempts to trump sexual orientation or gender identity, it deserves disrespect from those most affected. Not isolation, which is passive-aggressive and doesn’t get anything done, but active confrontation.

Furthermore, I don’t reserve as high of a respect for any object or person, real or fictional, dead or living, that I cannot possess a similar fortitude to disparage or criticize it. That goes for Jesus, Harvey Milk, Martin Luther King and Aleister Crowley alike. They all have their own sorts of suck.

7. Islam is still stuck in a Dark Aged kind of mentality that cannot cope with satire, witticism, objections or even its own members leaving the faith.

Christianity has come a long way since burning people at the stake for apostasy or blasphemy. We have Monty Python and movies like Dogma and the Last Temptation of Christ and nobody gets lynched or bombed for it.

The Enlightenment and Reformations that inspired free thought, free speech, personal spirituality are yet to reach certain cultures. Paricularly Islamic and African ones.

1. Staircase2 9 Nov 2011, 3:43am

Can I remind you, Jesse that Monty Python’s Life of Brian was still hotly contested as recently as 1978!

This was a long long long long time after the Englightenment & the Reformation….

Its easy to say ‘ooh look how civilised WE are and how UNCIVILISED THEY are…’ but its simply not true or as simple as that.

That kind of cultural superiority is what got us all into this mess in the first place..!

(May I also remind you that ‘the Enlightenment’ only came about based on knowledge, science, medicine & philosophy which came from the Islamic world in the first place? WAY before the West): ALL cultures come and go thru dark ages – ourselves included – we have to guard against that in OURSELVES before we are able to cast the first sanctimonious stone…..

1. I agree we have a long way to go yet and I am also not unfamiliar with the medical and scientific contributions of the Moorish Empire when most of Europe was still in its own Dark Ages.

However, just as I would not mince words with my own Afro-Caribbean culture where it falls WOEFULLY short of the UNIVERSAL standards of inalienable human rights (which includes the right to have self-expression free from terrorism) I will not hesitate to do so with Islamic extremism.

Yes, one CULTURE can be superior to another when measured by certain benchmarks. It’s not politically correct to say it but it is true. Different cultures have various strengths and weaknesses. This has absolutely nothing to do with race as any innate contributing factor either.

8. Cambodia Guesthouse 8 Nov 2011, 12:28pm

More power to this magazine for standing up to these extremists.

As I have said before, you can believe what you like, but don’t push those beliefs onto me, or try to force me to live in a certain way…. or dictate what I can see or read for that matter..

1. Absolutely – I have to say all power to the editors for having the courage to stand up (with humour) and be counted.

9. With Muslims establishing their own schools, one wonders how their kids will acquire our values and be able to successfully integrate into our
    Society.
    This incident happened in London.

The Uncomfortable Definition of an Infidel…

FACT: Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK

Last month I attended my annual training session for maintaining my security clearance in the prison service. There was a presentation by three speakers from the Roman Catholic, Protestant and Muslim faiths, who explained their beliefs.

I was particularly interested in what the Islamic Imam had to say about the basics of Islam, complete with video.

After the presentations, question time. I directed my question to the Imam and asked: ‘Correct me if I’m wrong, but I understand that most
    Imams and clerics of Islam have declared a Holy War against the infidels of the world and, that by killing an infidel, (which is a command to all Muslims) they are assured of a place in heaven.

1. Mark Hangartner 8 Nov 2011, 8:11pm

There have been blog posts since 2004 with this story almost word for word, except changing the name of the current pope.

2. There are numerous Catholic and exclusively Jewish school as well. All religion is child abuse. If you are not allowed to think and choose for yourself at will it is a dictatorship of mind. What ever the holy book they follow.

10. Is that correct?’The expression on his face changed from one of authority to that of a
    Little boy who had just been caught with his hand in the biscuit tin.’

He sheepishly replied, ‘Yes.’

I then stated, ‘Well, I have a real problem trying to imagine Pope Benedict commanding all Catholics to kill Muslims, or the Archbishop of
    Canterbury ordering all Protestants to do the same in order to guarantee them a place in heaven!’ The Imam was speechless!

I continued, ‘I also have a problem with being your ‘friend’ when you and your brother clerics are telling your followers to kill me! Let me
    Ask you a question. Would you rather have your Allah, who tells you to kill me in order for you to go to heaven, or my Jesus who tells me to
    Love you because He will take me to heaven and He wants you to be there with me?’

You could have heard a pin drop as the Imam remained speechless.

Needless to say, the organizers of the

1. PumpkinPie 8 Nov 2011, 2:10pm

I’m afraid that story is spurious rubbish. I can pretty much guarantee that this, like 99% of email chain letters, is a total lie.

Having witnessed many a religious debate, the one thing I can say with certainty is that priests, imams, clerics, rabbis, etc., etc. have an answer for everything. They’re very canny people, well versed in their chosen religions.

The very idea that an imam wouldn’t have an answer for an accusation as cliched, hackneyed and common as “so I heard all muslims have to kill all non-muslims” is just preposterous.

If people want to fight back against religious deceit, propoganda and indoctrination, they should be careful to avoid using the same tactics themselves, as the author of this story patently did.

1. Pawnderings 8 Nov 2011, 2:42pm

Snopes has a bit about that. It’s a mixture of something that really happened, and some creative exaggeration. http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/allah.asp

1. PumpkinPie 8 Nov 2011, 3:52pm

Thanks, that was pretty interesting! Good old Snopes. Stories like this always seem to get twisted to conform to the worldview of those (mis-)telling them.

11. of the Diversification seminar were not happy with this way of exposing the truth about the Muslims’ beliefs.

Within twenty years, ie. 2029, there will be enough Muslim voters in the UK to elect a government of their choice, complete with Sharia law.

Everyone in the U.K. should be required to read this, but with the current political paralysis, tolerant justice system, liberal media and
    P.C. madness, there is no way this will be widely publicised.

Please pass this on to all your e-mail contacts.

John Harrison MBE.. MIDSc

1. “Within twenty years, ie. 2029, there will be enough Muslim voters in the UK to elect a government of their choice”

Don’t get carried away now.

There is a maximum of 3 millions muslims in the UK – about 5% of the population.

On what planet do you live on if you think that they will have enough in number to elect the government within 20 years.

1. this is a article i have merely copied into comments – if you have questions email the author

1. The author is clearly cherry picking his comments to suit his own absurd agenda.

To make the claim that within 20 years that the muslim population of Britain will be large enough to select the government is quite simply incorrect,

Do not quote authors if you cannot support their arguments, It makes you look stupid.

1. @dAVID

Unless someone knows that in the recent UKBA borders controversy tat several million Muslims managed to get through our border with holes in it … then I find it a bit far fetched to suggest Muslims will hold the majoirty of power!

2. Utter bollocks.

3. Ama ghana 9 Nov 2011, 1:11pm

Everyone in the U.K. should be required to read this, but with
      the current political paralysis, tolerant justice system, liberal
      media and P.C. madness, there is no way this will be widely publicised.

It is this same system that seeks to grant homosexuals freedom of marriage and also give them the liberty to adopt innocent kids as their children.

12. Am I the only one who thinks that this kind of fun poking at ANY religion is not funny. Regardless of what their opinion is of us (LGBTIQ) it won’t serve us to ridicule their God. Hate in any form is still hate.

“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding
 deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”

- Martin Luther King Jr.

1. Surely ridicule and hate are not the same thing? Are you one of those people who thinks Life of Brian was blasphemous?

A strong religion is surely one that can take mockery. If they have to resort to bombing and murder, they’re admitting that faith can only be sustained by bullying and fear.

1. @Rehan

Ridicule can be hate inspired, but that does not mean that all ridicule is hate inspired.

2. “Am I the only one who thinks that this kind of fun poking at ANY religion is not funny”

Well, probably a minority anyway. Religion should be able to stand up to scrutiny and satire. Religion is not an exemption to be challenged, ridiculed, questioned, or satirised.

And satire is NOT hate. How weak is their faith is they cannot see this for what its is?

1. If those who hold religious views believe that their world view and ideology is honest, correct, right and has integrity then they should be able to respond to appropriate scrutiny (whether or not satirical) with a competent answer (which may or may not be equally humerous or satirical).

Satire is itself is not hatred, It can be misused in that way – and whoever does that should be challenged. In itself though scrutiny, satire and challenge should be expected by anyone entering into any debate particularly one about moral behaviour.

3. Incidentally, the very term ‘Quaker’ was once mockery. It didn’t stop that sect from becoming one of the more admirable braches of Christianity, did it?

1. excellent point

4. Jock S. Trap 11 Nov 2011, 12:51pm

I reckon so…. but then humour is needed where required.

13. The people at Charlie Hebdo are pretty brave, being even more provocative after last week’s firebombing. Good for them.

1. Agreed. Freedom of the press is a cornerstone of Democracy, and no one religion is above democracy.

1. Absolutely. Democracy is crucial in a fair and open society.

That involves promoting free speech (with appropriate responsibility being exercised).

I am more likely to respect a religious group that can accept criticism, and respond with respectful humour – particularly if they accept that others who hold different views to them are entitled to their opinions and should be afforded equal respect.

1. burningworm 11 Nov 2011, 9:13am

The problem with this story in the news is the sidelining of a larger truth. Muslims don’t care. Militant people, violent people care who are Muslim.

You don’t see families outraged you see men outraged. It is an ego and a distortion that they have to come to terms with.

Religious people at large should be respected for their beliefs. I don’t need somebody or the entire world to accept me, but respect is a birthright for all human beings.

The press did not say Timothy McVeigh was a Christian terrorist. They didn’t blame the bible or Pat Robertson.

14. When these Turks say ““Be God’s Curse On You! We Will be Your Curse on Cyber World!”, are they tacitly admitting that God is unable to curse the cyber-world himself and requires this ‘collective’ to do the work on his behalf? I think we should be told.

1. yes – I’m beginning to think these gods may actually not exist….

2. Of course, as the internet is still here, Allah is either too bored to bother to smite it, or he doesn’t exist.

3. PumpkinPie 8 Nov 2011, 2:16pm

Have you ever tried to teach your grandparents how to use the internet? Some older folks just do not get on with this new-fangled technology at all. I’m sure an ancient deity wouldn’t want any of that fuss. A nice stroll down to the park to feed the ducks would be a far more enjoyable use of their leisure time.

1. Actually my aged father took to the internet like, well, a duck to water. My oldest living aunt, ditto. Deities are supposed to be omnipotent but, it would seem, seldom are.

1. PumpkinPie 9 Nov 2011, 10:36am

One of my grandmothers actually gets on fine with the internet, so I guess it depends on the person. Perhaps that’s true of deities, too? I bet Zeus would have loved it if he was still around. Now there was a proper troll!

15. Oh dear

As amusing as this cartoon could be… aren’t the publishers being a little silly.

I guess there’s gonna be a fatwa coming out any time now…

1. If we dare not criticize a group of people or their ideas for fear of their violent reaction, isn’t that giving in to terrorism? I salute those who are brave enough to stand up to the bullies.

1. Not Important 8 Nov 2011, 11:45pm

This isn’t criticism, though. It’s simply an insulting drawing.

1. Many people find it amusing though. So what’s your point?

2. I think a fatwa was exactly what they were aiming for.

16. Next week think they should shold show Mohammed and Jesus in bed enjoying a post coital cigarette.

1. Dave North 8 Nov 2011, 2:26pm

In a B&B in Cornwall perhaps…..

1. har har har ….

2. PMSL!!!! After which they share Scones and Cornish Clotted Cream

1. Maybe they could have a marriage ceremony at the Cornish B&B? or is consumating the relationship enough??? :-)

1. And make sure that they travel there on a Stagecoach bus.

2. Smoking shouldn’t be encouraged.

1. That was a hesitation I had for a moment … i must admit … but I couldnt think of another post coital illustration as an alternative … and it is quite funny

17. de Villiers 8 Nov 2011, 3:10pm

I don’t disagree with some of the sentiments expressed here but I wonder what would be the reaction if the magazine insulted homosexuality on its cover.

1. Homosexuality and religious belief are not comparable.

Sexual orientation is immutable like race or gender or age. It cannot change

Religious belief is a freely chosen, voluntary, lifestyle choice. Believing in ‘god’ is no more worthy of respect than believing in Father Christmas,

Therefore just because people choose to be ignorant by believing in ‘god’ does not mean they cannot be mocked and laughed at for their absurd voluntary beliefs.

1. de Villiers 8 Nov 2011, 4:17pm

chant chant chant

1. Ironic seeing as you are defending moronic cults!

2. @dAVID

I agree with your arguments about the differences between sexual orientation and religious belief

That doesnt mean the can not be compared – centuries of writing on the comparison of the two issues – demonstrates that they are often compared, regardless of whether that is reasonable or not.

I do think that if homosexuality was displayed on the front cover of a magazine, we should be able to laugh at ourselves and take it in good fun. I suspect not everyone would be able to do this.

I also think there is a subtle difference between satire and mocking. Satire and scrutiny are wholly appropriate actions to hold anyone entering a debate to account. Mocking has a negative connotation and is about attack and vitriol – rather than satire which is about challenge and good natured humour.

2. I’d guess that, in our estimation today anyway, many many magazines and journals have done so in the distant and not-so-distant past, de Villiers. None of them were firebombed as a result though (mind you, it might be an idea, come to think of it…).

3. Probably the same reaction as we see daily in this country when the Express, Mail, Sun or whatever scurrilous rag decides to print a homophobic headline – viz a complete absence of the newspapers’ offices being firebombed by fanatical gay people.

18. Do we (any of us, of any group or purpose) really believe we are influencing others to our side by insulting someone’s belief system? Only the ignorant are impressed by school-yard behavior such as that. Rational, intelligent people would rather be influenced by reasonable and logical arguments. I see this cartoon as merely some juvenile’s way of fanning the flames of hate. Woe be unto someone if they’d published a cartoon insulting homosexuality or the English language.

1. Agreed. I am disappointed to see tactics like this crude cartoon – I wouldn’t be surprised if it were more a readership stunt than to produce quality content.

Admittedly, many religious groups try to use outrageous slander against our opinions – but I don’t think it will solve any problems by producing works which only seem designed to offend, rather than reason with them.

1. I fear that we will never reason with them. You cannot have a rational discussion about a belief that is inherently irrational.

2. Yes, we do influence them. We show them that their bully-boy tactics of trying scare us into silence, and eventually into submission through tyranny, will not work. When people espouse hateful and irrational beliefs then mockery is a powerful weapon. Mockery goes some way to de-fang the terror tactics they employ. (And by “they” I mean any fanatical nut jobs, regardless of their ideology).

19. jamestoronto 8 Nov 2011, 8:12pm

Going strictly by the cover, I don’t see any reference to Mohammed – gay or otherwise. I just see a (stereotypical) Muslim kissing a (stereotypical) western man. There seems to be a bit of paranoia setting in when Muslims see every caricature of themselves as Mohammed. The thing I found more disturbing is the wet sloppiness of the kiss. Ugh!

20. When you join Islam they cut your cock. If you have doubts, disagreements or want to leave they cut your throat. Well, they can’t do it the other way around can they?

21. Usually, I’m 100% for all mocking of religions which demand tolerance for themselves, yet so gleefully deny it to others. But this just seems like a dumb attempt to provoke people, and therefore gain media attention for Charlie Hebdo. They claim it’s a response to Ennahda winning in the Tunisian elections, but Ennahda are a party which is opposed to instating Sharia law in Tunisia, and supports womens’ education. They haven’t checked their facts, and are just trying to provoke.

I supported Jyllands Posten when they published the cartoons of Mohammed, but this is different. JP clearly did not understand the fuss they would cause, and were simply trying to start a debate. CH is just screaming ‘look at me, I can be offensive too!’. And using homosexuality to infuriate Muslims is plain irresponsible. Gay muslims are being persecuted and killed in the middle east. The last thing they probably want is to have their cause tied to this childish attempt to sell papers. CH should be ashamed.

1. But they are always offensive about everybody without discrimination so why shouldn’t they be offensive about Islam and Muslims? Or are you trying to say that Islam and Muslims are special in some way and shouldn’t have the mickey taken out of them by a free press in a free country but everybody else apart from Islam and Muslims are fair game?

Nobody has the right to not be offended, in my opinion.

1. I’m not saying that. I’m all for Islam-mocking. I had that Danish ‘we’ve run out of virgins’ cartoon on my desktop for about 3 months. It’s just the way that CH are going about this which I find irresponsible. Most satire of religions is there to start a debate, or raise important issues. This, however, seems to be just intended to enrage hard-liners. Which would be fair enough, only when Jyllands Posten accidentally did that, many people died. CH know of the possible consequences, yet they’re still doing it to boost publicity.

However, the main thing which I think is inexcusable is that cover: While, through both offending Islam and highlighting the cause of gay rights, you might be making a perfectly valid point in France, you’re not really doing any favours for gay muslims who have to live amongst these fundamentalists, and have now just been involuntarily allied with a paper who has just announced itself as enemy #1.

I agree with your viewpoint in general, but CH are idiots.

22. Dave G said: “I, and many, have no trouble condemning it. Islamic homophobia is exhibited very rarely to most of us. 95% or more of the religiously inspired bigotry and direct discrimination comes from christianity and so that is what gets condemned most of the time” which is not true if one takes a broader view of the world as I, and others, do. Muslim persecution of gay people is a major problem worldwide. For just a few tens of examples per country see: http://www.wikiislam.net/wiki/Persecution_of_Homosexuals

1. Thanks for this informative link, JohnMJ

1. Coudn’t agree more. Islam is the biggest single and serious threat facing the gay community right now and for the years to come. Christian fundamentalists’ public outbursts are nothing compared to the insidious hatred that muslim religious leaders spread in their communities. Guys, watch out for what’s coming our way!

23. he cannot talk with his mouth full .and any the disgusting prophet has been shagging kids just before

1. The only religious,figures shaggin kids r catholic opriests

24. Some Muslims need to lighten up, its a joke and not a very offensive one at that. I personally would see no problem with calling anyone I looked up to gay, obviously I am gay but if it’s such an insult to them it just shows there views to us.

Religion has no pre ordained respect, I will laugh at gay jokes within reason, Jewish people often have jokes made about them, even Christians have had jokes made about them and I didn’t see firebombings or murder.

If Muslims don’t relax about there culture then they will create a very hostile enviroment in which they’re culture is viewed by these firebombings and not by the good things that alot of Muslims do.

25. I don’t know, a little uncalled for. I mean, it’s always fun to piss off the religious nutjobs, but there are also some good tolerant Muslims opposed to violence and supportive of freedom of expression (and maybe even gay Muslims) who will still get offended.

26. burningworm 11 Nov 2011, 8:44am

Southpark has a great episode about the climate of change in depicting Muhammed. You should all check it out.

The rule of depicting the prophet is for Muslims and not the world at large. I think this issue needs clarity when the press discuss it. It is supposed to be in reverence to the prophet. Those people who are willing to blow up buildings and end a life over a depiction of the prophet is madness. Its militancy not religion and we shouldn’t confuss the two.

1. burningworm 11 Nov 2011, 9:02am

For those interested.

Super Best Friends S5E3
      &
      200 + 201 S14E5+6

27. Jock S. Trap 11 Nov 2011, 12:49pm

Me thinks they take themselves far too seriously… and the extreme of them want to force this one us?

If it’s not extreme Muslims it’s extreme Christians trying to force their chosen lifestyle on everyone else.

Well it’s not working and it certainly ain’t working!!

28. “Love is stronger than hate.” D’aw <3

29. I wonder what the reaction would be if a satirical peice was done about homosexuals. Would we take it as a joke or say it’s homophobia?

1. GingerlyColors 14 Nov 2011, 10:36am

At least we have a sense of humour!

30. GingerlyColors 13 Nov 2011, 6:11pm

Not only will something like that give the extremists an excuse to carry out another atrocity it will also anger moderate Muslims as well. Christians won’t like it if Jesus was portrayed in that manner nor would Buddhists if it were Buddha. Free speech is a right but we cannot have rights without responsibilities and magazines like Charlie Hebdo are acting irresponsibly by portraying Mohamed in this fashion. We don’t like Islamic extremism but we should not be egging it on either.