Gay student suspended for make-up prompts US school’s policy reversal

1. Wouldn’t a better policy be just to ban all makeup outright?

1. David Myers 8 Nov 2011, 12:39am

On what grounds? Just to be able to deny the gay out student? Besides all the girls who wear makeup would be upset as well. Instead of going through contortions to keep a possible effeminant male from expressing himself by taking away rights from all students, why not just rule that self expression is ok – for everyone?

2. Jock S. Trap 11 Nov 2011, 10:24am

It would and I think these teachers had a responsibility to be more sensitive around this kinds of issues or else they look like the typical school yard bully.

2. Wouldn’t it have been easier/better to just ban makeup outright at the school?

1. whoops, glitched and didn’t show my first reply

3. it should be same rule for all and im glad they have changed rules so everyone can wear makeup- although personally i think school should ban makeup/jewelry/accessories for everyone instead- my school didnt and it was like milan fashion week every monday morning- very distracting!

1. It should definitely be the same rule for all.

At my school we wore a uniform and make up and jewellry was not permitted, which was great because you didn’t have to worry about what to wear all the time and I expect it cuts down on bullying quite a bit.

2. Definitely should be one rule for everyone. If make-up is permitted for goths then why not other guys?

It’s amazing how much schools force gender stereotypes on children/young people.

Being able to experiment with one’s self expressions is such an important part of growing up, whether LGBT or straight.

I used to wear blue mascara and eye shadow when I was 15 and going through a rebellious phase. I now cringe when I look back at it! LOL

Wish him well!

1. You certainly write pure excrement, that’s for sure.

2. Inis Magrath 7 Nov 2011, 7:39pm

Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha. You are so smart and you are funny. You should write comedy for a living. All the late-night comedians would be happy to hire someone like you who is so smart and funny. Ha ha ha. Oh, wait… I didn’t mean smart and funny, I meant moronic and dull. Yeah. Ha ha ha.

3. Jock S. Trap 11 Nov 2011, 10:26am

Yawn… Boring… Predictable.

4. I think its getting a bit ridiculous… there has to be some guidelines at school and to be fair whether he wants to express himself or not with those eyebrows purple perhaps wasnt his best look… in all seriousness though it sound like a bandwagon stunt to me rather than a “bullying” incident passé

1. Inis Magrath 7 Nov 2011, 7:42pm

No one said this is a bullying incident. It was a stupid principal incident. And for how he looks — have you seen high school goths? If they can show up like that, Kasey can wear purple eye makeup.

2. Jock S. Trap 11 Nov 2011, 10:28am

Because young people cannot express themselves and who they are? An ignorant viewpoint.

5. Nadine Stransen 7 Nov 2011, 11:39am

What a buch of wowsers! I love make-up AND jewellery. I encourage everyone to unleash the Gsa Gsa Gabor from within!

1. Trouble is more often than not it looks more like more cheap whore than Gabor.

1. He is 16 not seven. I think every teenager has the right to look ridiculous so that they can cringe when they are older. That’s what being young is all about!

1. Jock S. Trap 11 Nov 2011, 10:29am

Exactly!!

6. PumpkinPie 7 Nov 2011, 12:02pm

It’s nice to see one of these stories about sexist/homophobic dress-code get a happy ending for once!

7. I used to wear make up on non uniform days and I always got told to take it off before lessons, at the time I didn’t know I was within my rights to wear it and so didn’t kick up a fuss.

Good on this lad for not just taking it off.

8. I went to an all-girls Presbytarian school, we had to wear uniforms. No makeup was allowed and the only jewellry permitted were simple gold or silver ear-studs or hoops, gold chain, watch and school ring.

It simplified everything, made everyone look the same and put the focus on the academics instead. So I am partial to uniforms as I am to single-sex schools.

But that being said, if you let students wear whatever they want, including make-up, you cannot have gender double standards. Men have always worn make-up. There is no real arguement against it.

9. GingerlyColors 7 Nov 2011, 3:09pm

Men have been wearing make-up since the New Romantic era of the early 1980’s when lads raided their sisters’ make-up boxes.
    Schools should have a uniform policy partly to prevent pupils being bullied because of dress sense. Banning make-up altogether for both sexes may be a good idea but to avoid discrimination between sexes a school would have to allow boys to turn up in skirts if they want! Therefore allowing girls to wear make-up would mean having to allow boys to do the same.

1. Inis Magrath 7 Nov 2011, 7:44pm

Men have been wearing makeup since a little (just a little) before the 80s. I mean, have you seen ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs? All the men have painted faces.

2. And even to this day many Indian men wear khol liner and tumeric powders as well.

3. up until the victorian period most men had as much makeup on as women- its a fairly modern socio-cultural thing. Having said that it gives you horrible spots if you’re not careful and it takes me long enough to do my hair so i wont be partaking…

4. Ancient Egyptian men wore make up, as did the Georgians and I bet there were cave men teenagers daubing their eyes with ash.

10. Julian Morrison 7 Nov 2011, 4:05pm

Schools should ignore what people are wearing and concentrate on teaching lessons. Learning to obey and tolerate irrational institutional demands and infantilization is NOT a good citizenship skill.

1. Kudos Julian ! :)

2. Couldn’t agree more!

3. Absolutely right Julian!!!

11. I don’t understand these ban makeup comments… Foundation is excellent for covering up spots, and teens can get a lot of spots…

How is banning makeup that covers up spots going to reduce bullying?

12. just ban all makeup? It would make everything a lot simpler.

13. Miguel Sanchez 8 Nov 2011, 2:29pm

That school principal is a damn HOMOPHOBE. He knew there was a straight goth who wore make-up and was allowed but this guy got suspended.

It’s a shame the principal can’t get sacked.

14. Jock S. Trap 11 Nov 2011, 10:23am

Regardless of it’s it’s appropiate for any child, male or female in school this kind of bullying attitude from such teachers is wrong and irresponsible and likely to leave a lasting damaging legacy.

Teachers are there to teach not discriminate.

1. David Millar 14 Nov 2011, 8:49pm

This principal didnt realise the `impact ` of his policy on minority coomunities. Here in UK the coalition Government has inherited the Equality Act but decided to water it down so public bodies dont need to assess impact. Really helpful!

15. personally i think he looks ridiculous in the makeup :/ at 16 and being gay i wouldnt have dreampt of doing that, if i was one of his mates at school i’d pull him to one side and say “this looks silly” lol