J Crew chief Jenna Lyons ‘in lesbian relationship’

1. this made news?? dont even know she is. if anyones interested my neighbour is a boring hetro. i rest my case.

1. heh gotta say im with you on that 1, the ‘US fashion industry’ is of slightly less importantance to me than my local supermarket, both make brand things that cost more than less known brands but have the same content as the cheaper alternitive (that and fashion hasnt brought anything new in a very long time as its alway has and always will be circular but thats another issue) regardles i would say so long as everyone’s happy then thats good, if not then.. not so good.

1. “I don’t pay attention to fashion” would have told me as much without being grossly inaccurate.

2. Christine Beckett 26 Oct 2011, 12:36pm

I think what makes this important is the fact that someone at the top of the US corporate ladder, who is already a bete noir of the Rabid Right, is now openly bi or les.

So yeah, in a newspaper about LGBT issues, this is obviously news.

chrissie

1. chill out. i just didnt find it interesting and wasnt thinking in the political sense.

1. Spanner1960 31 Oct 2011, 4:34pm

Or maybe just “wasn’t thinking”.

3. Why is this news?
    Why is this person a newsworthy person other than the fact that she runs a business in the US, is worth loads of money and therefore immune to discrimination, because in the US plutocracy, money is what gives you rights and protection.

1. de Villiers 26 Oct 2011, 2:04pm

And is that different anywhere else? Do you think that in socialist countries or Communist China that money and position is not what gives someone protection?

2. Quite simply its ‘News’ on the same basis of any TV or POP star coming out as Gay (LGBTIQ)…actually its more gossip than news….and I’m not so bitter and twisted, superior or Politicly Correct that I cant be out and proud of the fact that I LOVE IT

1. Except people actually know who celebrities, pop stars and actorsd are.

And of course money gives protection in China. However that does not alter the fact that this no-name businesswoman’s wealth means that she will not be subject to discrimination in the US.

4. @Christine Beckett- Bete noir? Really? My question is why she and so many other lesbians marry a guy, have kids and then decide to come out? Delayed reaction to ‘penis’ or are they just taking guys for a ride in an effort to have a kid? I think its at epidemic level really. I feel nothing but pity for these women. If anyone thinks Jenna Lyons is some sort of gay rights crusader then think again.

1. Maybe for the same reason that so many men do the same (I’m one of them) WE try our best to ‘fit in’ ‘do the right thing’ ‘be accepted’ or are pressured by society in general to be ‘normal ‘ ordinary’…get married have kids and settle down….THEN (6 years and 1 child later in my case) we discover that we can’t hide our true selves any more and (at 28yo) ‘come out’. Your comment may not be, but sounded like it reeked of anti lesbian bitterness. Just an opinion!

1. Nope, his comment DEFINITELY reeked of anti lesbian bitterness and he knows it! The idea that what *anyone* does in their personal life, unless it effects anyone who hasn’t consented is an epidemic is absurd. Rod, do you even know what that word means? You don’t even know this woman. Carry around your presumptuous bigotry with you all you like but PLEASE don’t pretend that you have a well formed opinion, you don’t!

2. ALso, there was a report published recently about women’s sexuality and how those who had originally thought themselves heterosexual are increasingly more fluid about their sexuality later in life, having same sex fantasies, same sex snogs, same sex sex etc.

I struggle with your comment that coming out as lesbian or bi later in life is ‘at epidemic level’ – what rubbish!

1. What I found most astounding was the fact that some child psychologists thought that painting a boy’s toenails pink would cause “gender confusion”!!

3. Spanner1960 31 Oct 2011, 4:38pm

Some people know their sexuality from an early age, for others it comes as a bolt out of the blue; for many, it is simply a creeping suspicion that gradually grows to a point where one cannot ignore it any longer. I for one didn’t come out until I was 31. I honestly wish I had known earlier because I wouldn’t have spent half my life chasing the wrong rabbit and might have actually sorted my life out sooner. Stop accusing people of being consciously in denial; often they are the last people to know.

5. Psychologists? (plural) No, try one, Dr Keith Ablow, a transphobic talking head at Fox News. Other than that this story is just gossip. Hardly worth reporting on I should think.

6. Sigmund Fraud 27 Oct 2011, 6:25am

Thanks for coming out, we need all the help we can get to get our freedoms.

7. Right……
    Well, I guess we will now see the haters jump on top of her case with double the energy, combining this with the whole issue around the toe nail photo issue I think only early this year…
    Yes, we can be ready for a new bigot assault claiming lesbian mums want to turn their sons gay or trans….

8. pink toenails – seems like child abuse to me!

9. Mary Flying Eagle 28 Oct 2011, 6:01am

A good positive read. Good for you lady, go for the Better stuff, don”t settle.
    Welcome!!!!