Interview: Steven Russell on infamy, escaping prison and Phillip Morris

1. Derek Williams 21 Oct 2011, 5:18pm

I’ve watched this wonderful movie, and read this tragi-comic article with the greatest of amusement, notwithstanding the seriousness of the story.

Both Jim Carrie and Euan McGregor gave entirely convincing performances. I was hooked from Scene 1 Frame 1, all the way to the end and beyond.

Given a choice, I would prefer to have had less criminally minded role models for LGBT youngsters to live down to, but nobody’s perfect I guess.

One thing this movie does is reveal yet another aspect to the kaleidoscope of LGBT characters there are in the world.

2. I loved ‘I Love You Philip Morris’.

It made me laugh and I even cried like a baby at the end.

It’s definitely a film to watch.

3. An incredible story and a really great gay-themed movie.

4. Sam Maloney 21 Oct 2011, 7:26pm

He’s obviously brilliant, creative and talented… it’s such a shame that he’s repeatedly chosen to use his considerable gifts in criminal ways.

He could have made the world a lot better, and instead he rots in jail. Makes me sad for all of us.

5. 144 years for fraud?

Meanwhile not a single banking CEO has even been arrested for destroying the world economy.

Only in the Texas.

6. Gaga Flash Mob Response Unit 21 Oct 2011, 7:52pm

Cool to see an article this interesting on PN. More please!

144 years is a joke everywhere except Texas. How can you be sentenced more than the human life span?

7. This actually reminded me of my younger days and in the way i actually found out about my sexuality and can relate to this film 100%.
    I dont agree with comments about having less criminally minded role models for LGBT youngsters to live down to because belive it or not there are loads of young people out there who do commit crime and are lgb though try so supress this for fear of coming across as weak and being bullied. Be under ni illusion people there are many gay & lesbian people within our penal system in the UK and they need help and support, inside or out.

8. Right or wrong I admire the guy on so many levels. There is a lovable rogue, Robin Hood aspect to his crimes as well as bits of ‘Crimes of passion’ as far as I know he didn’t hurt or kill anyone and he DID do it all for love. I hope he escapes again……Grow some wings and fly Mr Russell

1. here bloody here!

9. Only in the democratic land of thw free would this be 144 years.

Its a human disgrace.

In UK were so used to fraud wed prob just call him a scallywag and say welldone for beating the system for as long as he did.

Its only thing length of imprisonment as he escaped 4 times and they dot like being made fools of.

American justice system is the biggest joke in the world yet they demand justice of otjers aroun the world by gun point. Humanity, would make you cry if you didnt just expect it these days. Tjat in itself is depressing.

I love you Phillip Morris is a very touching film.

10. I couldn’t stop grinning while reading this article (except at the sad bits, of course).

Morals mean more to me than laws, and it’s pretty despicable that Morris has been sentenced to several human lifespans for crimes that didn’t even hurt or endanger anyone. I understand that fraud needs to be punished, but this is just ridiculous.

And, meanwhile, people like those immoral scumbags at NAMM, whose actions DO seriously hurt people, are free to go home to their mansions with their big fat bonuses. It’s a pretty messed up world we live in.

1. Robin Adams 22 Oct 2011, 3:45am

I thought Ewan’s performance was a bit too camp and stereotypical. I like both actors immensely though.

Had NO idea this movie was based in reality, I just thought it was some straight director’s idea of what being gay and in love was all about…..

I can’t wait for the remade version with a bit more reality, and a bit less humor in the story….

1. :) does that mean you know more about gay men?
        Anyway I agree with you about the performance .
        Steven Russell sure is a genius not unapprehended :D ( in spirit )

11. 144 years for fraud. You will get less time in the US for killing someone. So it goes to show what the Americans hold more dear

12. Tom Stoppard 22 Oct 2011, 5:04pm

The American justice system is about one thing only – revenge.

13. The Christians try to make the gays look bad so they can get away with murder. It is an old propaganda trick to put the attention on how bad your enemy is as opposed to how bad the Christians really are, see for your self http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1609647/pg1, everybody knows that the majority of people in Europe and America are Christians and Catholics and that means that they are also the majority of the criminals in prisons or any groups in the US and EU. The Christians spend a lot of time and money trying to make themselves looks good but the truth is they are no better than anybody and in fact worse than Atheist who are far fewer that are in prisons. Sorry Christians the big fake smile and “Jesus loves you” is not working anymore, your hate and criminal actions have been exposed to show the sick and twisted people you really are.

14. The American Justice system stinks as does the English in a rather different way ! Oddly enough from travelling in more than 35 countries and living for long periods in 4 of them the only justice system for which I have minimal respect is the seemingly utterly corrupt and decrept Honduran courts and penal establishments . They’re refreshing unpretencious about their failings and genuinely try to do a good job rather than just covering up matters as do the anglo – phonic systems .

15. I think that a 100+ yr sentence is absurd for someone who didn’t commit a single violent crime. Why aren’t there people campaigning for his release?

1. Campaigning for his release? That sounds like a non-violent action that can get u 25 to life in good ol’ Texas!

16. Jock S. Trap 13 Nov 2011, 9:43am

Loved the film and same with this interview.

17. :DThis story is something unique .
    How much can love motivate a man !!wow

18. Why don’t we (all gays) give some money to pay the depts of Steven Russel and to send him for therapy to europe. It seems he is sick – he can’t not to cheat – this is disease and they treat it in europe.

1. I think its absolutely disgusting that Steven is still in prison after all this time and in solitary as well, especially as he has such a brilliant mind. Why not try to rehabilitate him? He never physically harmed anyone so how can they justify his long sentence. It’s very cruel and after all Frank Abegnale was a con man but they made a deal with him and employed him so why not do the same for Steven? He’d be a valuable asset. It makes me question whether theres some prejudice about him being gay? I hope not, as that shouldnt even be an issue.

19. i just love what this man will do for love it is so moving and he is very smart. His story has been an interest of mine for some time and i would love to see him released and with Phillip.

20. 144 fuckin’ years!!!

Christ I hate the America at times like this.

Let him go, hes been in long enough.

21. They should release him immediately. He has never been violent and even the danger of him staging another fraud does not justifiy putting him in prison longer than the 16 years he already served.