Father of suicide teen says he was bullied for being gay

1. It’s a regrettable fact of growing up that bullies of all stripes will always single out the different kid in the class. And with the number of methods of bullying on the rise thanks to the internet, you can’t even escape them in the privacy of your own home these days.
    It needs to be tackled in more ways than simply telling kids it’ll get better, but it’s tricky to know what the answer is.
    The media, religion, teachers and parents all play a role, for good or bad, but equally the bullies themselves should not remain unaccountable for their actions, as it sends out the message that they can always deflect the blame when the heat is on.

1. Rebecca House 19 Oct 2011, 3:37pm

I agree with you on this. Bullies must be held accountable and harsh punishment equal to the misery they caused.

2. We need to get to the bottom of the problem and that is the Christians and Catholic Church and their members who spew their hate using their Bible to attack and kill and murder children just because they are gay. Everybody know the Christians and Catholics are the bullies who make the problem by telling their people their propaganda about hating the gays and gays are their enemy and other nonsense all the while their own priest rape and abuse children and get away with it, these people need to be stopped and put in jail for their crimes against humanity by inciting people to harass and attack gays and Muslims and Jews and anybody they do not like. Christians and Catholics have blood on their hands.

1. David Myers 20 Oct 2011, 6:13am

You do a diservice by focussing so narrowly. Its people who hate and fear, regardless of their religious beliefs who need to focussed upon. There are people of all religions who do not promote hate – remember that. They are our allies, so quit bismerching all member of any group. And I am an agnostic humanist, so don’t try to claim its because I’m a product of hateful religions. Yes, religion is behind so much hatred in this world but by tarring all individuals with the same brush you are contributing to hate as well.

2. Interesting that you put Catholics and Christians into separate categories – !

3. To say that I’m disgusted by your comment is an understatement. How can you lump all Christians and Catholics together in one neat little bow? I am a Christian and I’ve taught my children to respect people and that something that makes you different makes you special. My Christian “propaganda” tells me to love each and every person and I teach my children the same thing. If hate is a learned behavior, then who taught you? I feel horrible for this boy’s family and will PRAY for them and PRAY that the laws will change so that no one will be bullied for what they believe in and what they want to do with their life.

3. Well said, Flapjack.

2. People think it’s just children and their parents, but a lot of it emanates from religious cults denigrating and villifying gay people, using the bible to justify it. Even marriage equality foes are bullies for all of the hateful rhetoric they espouse.

3. Cambodia Guesthouse 19 Oct 2011, 12:49pm

I agree that the religious cults bear the responsibility for stoking the fires of homophobia.. The langauge they use makes it ‘okay’ to demonise and persecute us.

So sad.. Another young life lost to homophobia.

How many more?

1. David Myers 20 Oct 2011, 6:15am

We must attach all bullying regardless of the reasons for it. Yes, homophobia is the strongest tool in the tool box of hateful bigoted bullies and we have to combate it specifically along with generally targating all bullying.

4. Imagine. Kids still kill themselves because they are gay, and are made to feel awful about it. We still have work to do.

5. This makes me so sad for the young man and his family.

I cant imagine the loss they would be feeling at this moment.

Bullying needs to stop – its criminal whats happening in our schools – and all too often teachers are awar but do not act.

Best wishes to the family and RIP to the yung man

6. this is what it is like in Ottawa Canada in 2011????

1. David Myers 20 Oct 2011, 6:16am

Yes. Imagine what it must be like in high schools in the US deep south? We’ve got to take it on – everywhere!

7. yes,a big part of the problem is the twisted religious cults who hhave invented homophobia along with a whole lot of other garbage.jesus was not a homophobe.

8. paddyswurds 19 Oct 2011, 1:54pm

This is what it is like anywhere the religious halfwits hold sway and peddle their myths and lies……

9. Miguel Sanchez 19 Oct 2011, 2:31pm

When it ever going to end??

1. I honestly don’t know but I hope it is soon.

2. David Myers 20 Oct 2011, 6:20am

I tend to be a short term pessimist and a long term optimist. Personally over the long haul I truly believe progress is being made. But as to when all of it will end, we’ll have to keep fighting it until it does. Every kid this happens to must be honored as a martyr in this war on gays and lesbians that has been going on for so long. Racism hasn’t been conquered yet, but if we get to the place that the general dis-approval of racism has acheived, we will have made immense progress.

10. I feel extremely saddened by these suicides. It seems to me it’s spiraling out of control! I was there myself more than 30 years ago. I was the outcast, because of various reasons. The language medium school I was in was my 2nd language, so there was the accent thing. My choice of sports in an all macho environment another. I played tennis, and was an excellent swimmer. And also I had no “special” girlfriend, I was friendly with all the girls. Overcame it all by just being friendly to everyone, and basically being myself. For sure, I didn’t hide my sexuality, but also didn’t advertise it. As I got to know those bullies, I came to understand them. Without exception, all from broken and/or dysfunctional homes and backgrounds. And their insecurities brought on all this bullying. I was even taunted by the “straightest”, most macho of them by their flashing their hard-ons to me, which I just smiled at and ignored. That was one thing they couldn’t handle: taunting and not getting reaction!

11. Proof that a person can be driven into a deep depression where self-worth simply does not exist, and no amount of reasoning can help at times.

Even medications are useless against constant bullying, however subtle.

This is so sad.

12. I am tired of many of the religious groups and others that now say they are teaching ‘tolerance’. I hate that word. If you have to tolerate something, that still makes it sound like something bad that you have to deal with. It still sends a message to bullies that these are people to be picked on. How about we turn that around and start teaching ‘intolerance’ – intolerance for those who behave badly and bully those who are different?

1. If these groups are still teaching that homosexuality is a “sin” then they are sending out the message that children who are gay, or are identified as gay, are “bad” and even “evil”. What they are doing is marking out members of their own community for exclusion – that leads to loneliness for those excluded, and a green light for the others to persecute them. For all the talk by religious groups of their new found “tolerance” this is the way their teachings have worked throughout history – and nothing has changed.

2. David Myers 20 Oct 2011, 6:22am

Intolerance for intolerance and bullying. Zero tolerance for bullying for any reason!

13. Have you noticed how google ads reads our comments and displays ads based on what we write. I hate google the greedy insesnitive pigs

14. So far to go. It was like it in the 60s and 70s and sill is if you are young and sensitive and in the wrong place. I greatly grieve for his parents and friends.
    For us bloody minded older ones make bullies life hell.

1. David Myers 20 Oct 2011, 6:23am

You got that right. And where school boards do nothing, sue their asses off!

15. Schools really need to step up and demonstrate more commitment to stopping bullying. The article reports that the boy’s parents were working with the school to deal with the situation. If that’s the case, why did the bullying continue? The identities of those doing the bullying were known. Why weren’t they suspended? Why weren’t the police involved? I can’t help suspecting that the schools have a vested interest in managing these situations themselves, to keep it all quiet and avoid bad publicity. I would urge people to go as public as possible – force their hands to deal with this problem rather than allowing them to try and sweep it under the carpet.

16. Meanwhile, CaMoron ignores homophobe masters machinating in his own backyard. His declarations of support for gays are hotter than air and in total contrast to what really matters in politics, his own electorate and backbenchers. Small homophobic fishs like James Malliff get a slap on their fins, while big ones like Dominic Raab are gathering a storm in the party.

17. I’m no fan of organised religion, and I’m aware its attitudes linger among non-religious people today, but I think it’s a little too simplistic to blame religion alone for the bullying that this poor boy suffered. The school and the suburb it’s in seem a world away from the US Bible-belt.

The crude tribalism of adolescent boys and girls has more to do with herd mentality and pecking orders. What seems to be lacking is any evidence that the school was doing anything significant to support Jamie.

18. People can be suck assholes >_<
    Didn't lady gaga wanted to talk to president Obama about making bulling illegal or a crime? Does anyone know what happen with that?

19. just the other day 20 Oct 2011, 10:43am

Its scary how much this kid reminds me of myself. Its a shame he felt he had to end his life, and I hope and wish for the day that people like the biggots who called him ‘fag’ will learn that they are the losers :( xx

20. Mike Weakley 21 Oct 2011, 3:03am

Bullying is a serious problem affecting millions of children. It can interfere with their social and emotional development, as well as their school performance. 19,000 children attempt to commit suicide every year as a direct result of being bullied. To help combat this, I have put together a bully prevention show for elementary schools & libraries called “The STOP Bullying Show”. Based out of Orlando, Florida, the show raises the awareness of bullying in a fun & engaging way; while teaching kids what they can do to put a stop to it. Highlights of the show can be seen here…