Transgender woman tells of street abuse

1. Unfortunately thats the norm in england, i’ve witnessed directly, loads of experiences like that , when with trans friends. Every trans person i have ever met since i was 9 ,has being victim to aggressive transphobia. And to add to the carlisle story my trans friend was on the bus in north london and the usual “thats a man” ” a dirty chi chi man” started and most onlookers joined in rather than get disgusted at the abuse.

1. theotherone 5 Oct 2011, 2:36pm

it’s the norm here in Scotland too.

I can’t go out without getting abused and threatened.

2. Its sad any person would have to go through abuse for being courageous enough to be who they truly are. It is also sad that abusers remain psychological cowards, who cannot be open to a world of differences and recognize the courage of any trans person maintains to be themselves. Ignorance vrs consciouness.

3. if every time a transsexual was abused on the street in the uk there was a story here there’d be no space for anything else.

4. This sounds mild. Twice at work I’ve had someone grab my breasts in an effort to prove that I’m not a woman. Once I had someone grab me from behind by the throte to prove to friends that I had an “Adam’s apple”.

1. And did you ever report any of those incidents Heather?

1. Andrea B. 5 Oct 2011, 1:45pm

In my expereince, reporting incidents is a good way to get a bad job review or get fired. Thats the reality.

1. theotherone 5 Oct 2011, 2:31pm

sad but true.

2. This is the reason I didn’t report incidents at my last job.My colleagues were complacent about the fact that they could say it was ‘just banter’ and that it was only my word against theirs.

5. Unfortunately, a lot of people have no manners, do not mind their own business, have no respect for difference etc. etc. But if we ( GLBTI) dont leave the house and get ‘out there’, then ‘they’ have won! I have to constantly provide positive support to a friend who is transsexual, who lives in fear of these situations. The people in Carlisle who abused the lady sound like bogans/ferals but my friend works in a shop and the most ‘big-mouthed’ types for her are Catholic college schoolgirls AND their mothers!

6. Disgusting. What pig ignorant idiots! Why don’t they mind their own business? Some education might be going on in schools now, but I often wish adults like this could be educated too.

7. Jock S. Trap 5 Oct 2011, 8:28am

Unless proper education is taught this kind of abuse will get worse and be seen as some kind of blood sport.

Teach them how to damn well respect for one and the fact that people come in all shapes, sizes and orientation.

8. Katie Kool-eyes 5 Oct 2011, 10:05am

I must admit, I have similar stories (i wont rant about them here, but im sure you all have a good idea)

But it’s good that this story has been brought to the public light a little more. Now if such horrid stories could perhaps make it to more mainstream media (and more police and community support officers attention), then perhaps it will be the first stepping stone into educating the close minded ones x

9. OrtharRrith 5 Oct 2011, 3:22pm

It is a sad part of trans life that abuse like this and worse occurs. You’d be hard pressed to find any trans person who hasn’t experianced this sort of thing or worse. Trans people are an easy target, for the press, comics and bigots; and that’s something that needs addressing.

10. Its odd when you come to think that woman have been wearing men’s style clothes and having cropped men’s stye hair cuts for decades and nobody takes a blind bit of notice. Yet a TS or TV wears woman’s clothes and is subject to appalling abuse. I cant see things changing until there is education from Primary School level. Religious schools are going to make things even worse. Gay men are also open to abuse if they appear to be gay or diiferent. That’s why you rarely see gay men behaving in an effeminate way in public or on public transport as they feel its dangerous. Its best to report all incidents no matter how minor or how uncomfortable it makes you feel. You only have to see the riots to realise the kind of aggression and violence that is out there today.

1. Allen, it’s not odd, it’s the consequences of living in a misogynist patriarchy. Many men and women can understand why women would look/dress like men because men are in positions of power and (still) seen as the ‘superior’ sex. Why, those same people wonder, would a man want to look like an (inferior) woman and give up his power and privileges? Same applies to gay men who are effeminate…read ‘Whipping Girl’ – it explains this issue much better than I can.

1. I absolutely agree. It’s so sad that we’re still seeing such stereotyping and misogyny in the 21st Century.

11. Alice Denny 5 Oct 2011, 3:46pm

Good girl. Vary brave to take theoiks on in public.

12. Perhaps we should consider a different sort of punishment for these transphobic crimes – make any person found guilty live in their opposite gender role for a defined period – any male must go the whole hog – makeup, dress. tights.shoes etc
    Let them suffer the abuse of their victim for a while – I am sure if the abuser knew this fate awaited them (instead of a pat on the wrist), they would have a new respect for transgendered people and they themselves would NEVER do it again.

1. theotherone 5 Oct 2011, 8:48pm

yea but what I am is not punishment

2. OrtharRrith 5 Oct 2011, 10:15pm

Indeed, that sort of approach could potentially lead to a serious backfire, as the perp could just as easiy come to further resent transpeople for the “humiliation” he feels he experianced having to dress as something he’s not.
      “walking a mile in someones shows” is only fine if you want to do it, otherwise you learn little from it. Besides, chances are it would be a breach of the perps human rights.

1. To my mind, they relinquish any protection of their own human rights as soon as they so cruelly disregard and stomp all over another persons human rights.

2. I sort of agree.

Its about education – and being too heavy handed will not necessarily make much of a difference. Besides, i think there is another point of departure.

For me, the big thing when i first started rle was that it was a break with the past. I knew i was never going back – and so, no matter how bad the abuse, i was going to be getting up every day, in future, dressing in a way that might at any moment open me to abuse, verbal or physical.

That’s very different from the rag week drag queens…students and the like who find it amusing to cross for a day or a half…and can pass off their embarrassment with a lot of loud humour.

On t’other hand, i do have a sneaking suspicion that such treatment could be beneficial for some journalists. Even if they did it for just a week, knowing that they would be back to “normal” in seven days, i think the experience might open a few eyes.

jane
        xx

13. kaye warren 6 Oct 2011, 6:48pm

work banter is illegal and against the law.Every body has the right to work without bulling and harrasment,I have a good company which stands by me and will prosecute anybody who intimidates me whether its an employee or a bus passenger

14. Interesting story.

No. Not the abuse, as i suspect there isn’t a trans woman here – and i’d guess many trans men too – for whom this is not just a pretty mundane, everyday experience.

I’ve long since given up on reacting to all but the rudest and most persistent abusers.

What IS interesting is the result: police and legal intervention…and a penalty that is a bit more than a slap on the wrist.

Part of the prob is that some of it is just rudeness. I am currently fighting my own corner with a local swimming club.

Details at: http://janefae.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/battle-joined/

Hopefully this is going to resolve positively (soon).

jane
    x

1. Katie Kool-eyes 10 Oct 2011, 2:43pm

Just read your personal blog (via your link, of course lol). I hope it all goes well for you hun :) x

15. postopgirl 11 Oct 2011, 8:05pm

Post op a few years, and yes I still get the giggles from teen girls and the odd looks and abuse from a certain generation of men, mainly younger men and teen lads, I have struggled through years and years of torture from the general public, whilst it has got better, it certainly isn’t rosey by a long way.

Last night I watched a documentary of 2 young transmen and there was a scene of eggs being thrown by local kids, where were their parents to allow that to happen, like my abusers they most probably had encouraged them to do it. The scene mirrored so much of what I endured for years.

When are the police nationwide going to take transphobic hate abuse in the street as serious as Cumbria Police obviously do, because in my experience police show little urgency to deal with this type of hate incident because its classified by them too often as a “low level” incident, therefore not a priority, good on Cumbria for taking Kim’s report so seriously.

16. kim oakland 13 Oct 2011, 1:30pm

hi to everyone one here, im kim the one that got attacked, first things first, as you all are awear our justis system sucks, but it can only get better if we as a minoraty stick togean become a majority. the people who did this to me did take a deal for lesser charges hence why it didnt seem that bad in the press, i can tell u know it was a whole lot worse. i am more then capable of standing up for myself as i did sum kickboxing ect ect wen i was a lot younger an i grew up having 2 be hard. wen i came out i wanted to stop living in fear and live free, i needed to put my past life behind me, i decided to restore my faith in the law. i know the law is crap at times but we can only change it by reporting incidents big and small everytime it happens to us. matter wat the conciqences are, other wise why come out in the first place!!! to me it was life and death situastion i come out or die, i am not going to let idiots dictate to me were i can or cant go wat i do or dont do, how i look or dont look. iv lost everything close to me and lost loved ones and all my family yeah its been tuff but this journy is tuff and im happyer now even thro all the crap i take, so why would i let anyone beat me down its never going to happen and you all shouldnt let it happen to you. be brave be strong andstick together thro the advasy.f anyone wants to look me up on f.b im under kimberly popz hugs an love to u all xx