Spain to open first gay retirement home

1. gmorado88 3 Oct 2011, 5:22pm

All well and good I’m sure, but last I checked we wanted to avoid being segregated outside of the rest of society. I see no reason why LGBT OAPs (acronyms :P ) can’t be happy with non LGBT OAPs. Aren’t we meant to be living together?

1. From the article:

“Its owners say it will be openly to anyone, regardless of sexuality, but will be gay-friendly.”

Regrettably, it’s Pink News that’s labelled it a gay retirement home. The reality is far more inclusive. :-)

2. @gmorado88

Absolutely, we should be seeking a time when segregation isnt even contemplated.

As I see it this is a retirement home that markets predominantly to the LGBT communities and instills a culture of acceptance and equality but is open to all … sounds great to me (for many years ahead !!!)

3. benpinwang 4 Oct 2011, 1:47am

I have visited retirement homes where I didn’t see any same-sex couples holding hands or dancing together at parties. To me, it means that gay or lesbian lives are either invisible or discouraged at those places . Obviously, that will not happen at these gay-themed or gay-friendly homes. And who can say a late-bloomer gay/lesbian relationship will not happen to anyone? The whole world needs a chance.

4. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 8:31am

Think you need to re-read the story and see why this villaige is being built. It’s all very well but very often we’re not the ones who separate. That comes because of (some sometimes a lot) bigotted heterosexuals. Don’t the elderly have the right to have a life of respect and dignity? Yes it doesn’t matter what sexuality but fact is if people choose to make other people lives hell just because of who they happen to be then venture like this should be welcomed.

Again though re-read the article. This village is for all but will be Gay friendly.

5. David Myers 5 Oct 2011, 2:07am

This is a good thing, but it needs to be implemented in conjunction with a program like Out In Schools which reaches out to inform, educate, and prevent bigotry and bullying, so that all retirement homes are a loving and accepting space for all people including our retired gays and lesbians. Accepting that retired gays and lesbians have to or are pressured to go back into the closet is not acceptable.

2. rectal breath 3 Oct 2011, 5:27pm

In Britain, no service can be refused toi persons on the grounds of sexual orientation. This is a step backwards for Spain regarding equality and would be illegal in Britain.

1. Then don’t go.

2. No one is going to refuse service – it says gay friendly, not gay only.

3. and nor are they suggesting that a heterosexual can not go there if you read the story …

1. rectal breath 3 Oct 2011, 8:39pm

Bit misleading then to call it a gay retirement home

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 8:36am

You wouldn’t take any notice however way they put it.

2. They didnt … they just market to the LGBT communities …

1. I see that the posters have been fooled yet again!
            P N called it the ‘first gay retirement home’. It is PN that are misleading the gay brigade, making them think they have privileged services to which they are not entitled.

2. Ah I see keith tries one side of an argument as “Rectal Breath” and then when that argument is demonstrated as unreasonable and false, reverts to his old name to try a different argument.

Strange thing is the new argument is false too. Everyone on here knows the retirement home is open to all and only difference is it promotes a culture of equality. PN has not suggested otherwise, just used some slightly tabloid description in terms of headline. When you read the article, as most reasonable people would, then you find the detail. No problem with that – although perhaps keith/rectal breath is not quite so adept at finding the detail and comprehending …

4. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 8:35am

Your right no service can but problem is people like you who go out of your way to be nasty and unpleasant, disrespecting others for who they are. It is people like you who continuously seek to separate because you pig brain can’t comprehend that two people of the same sex can live happily just like everyone else.

It’s people like you that create the problems of the world and quite frankly the world would be a far better place without the likes of you in it.

1. I have always been openly opposed to immoral practices that harm society. I abhor fornication, homosexuality, paedophilia and bestiality, all identified in scripture as gross sin and bad.
        the bible says to hate what is bad in Psalm 97:10.
        This hatred of badness and wickedness is my human right and I have a right to freedom of religious expression under law.
        You must learn to control your hatred of those with moral views (my hatred is for the acts, not the person) since you border on the criminal re incitement to religious hatred. I will be keenly observing your post content.

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 2:48pm

OK that pile of drivel has no relevence on this story.

The story is up for debate not who We are.

Also if your so sick that all you can think about is the ‘acts’ of what people do in bed not just as a human beings, then spend your time coming to Gay sites to spew your hatred and hypocracy…. I think that says more about you. So low.

1. Wrong, homosexuals is WHAT you are and not WHO you are.
            Also, where is the hypocrcy (sic) with me. I am straight up about my hated for homosexuality so whch aspect of my posts is hypocritical or in which way do I not practice what I preach? Please specify and do not generalise.

2. The fact that you feel the need to spend hours on a gay website – don’t you have a life? – expressing your hatred speaks volumes (and, in case you were wondering, nothing good).

3. Also if your so sick that all you can think about is the ‘acts’ of what people do in bed not just as a human being…

You are labouring under the misconception that just because there is consent and privacy, it is nobody’s business. In fact it is of ten the business of the State to regulate private consensual sex to insure that consensual incest (illegal in many lands) and homosexual acts (illegal in many lands) are not taking place. I would add fornication and make them all capital crimes since they all harm society.

4. Keith

I know of no Christian who supports capital punishment – you are just a troll

5. Jock S. Trap 5 Oct 2011, 9:49am

Yeah well in this country we are not illegal or up for debate.

Now run along darling the adults want to debate the issues.

2. David Myers 5 Oct 2011, 2:09am

Who let this troll back on this site?

3. Jock S. Trap 6 Nov 2011, 10:19am

“I have always been openly opposed to immoral practices”

Well if you can’t stop thinking about it I think you might have to admit ‘something’ to yourself, don’t you?

3. Let me know when they build one on the Costa del Sol.

1. I expect Brighton will be the first.

4. Good news and a step in the right direction. More are needed throughout Europe. Security and safety for residents must be on the agenda

5. You try living in sheltered housing as an openly gay man in the UK- you’ll soon be driven out by their negative and pathetic attitudes. Cmon Uk- some entrepreneurial gay businessman- open one in Brighton- I’ll be first at the door!

1. We could all just move in with Elton and John.

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 8:38am

I dunno… all them bloody flowers would give me hay fever all year round!!

6. Pity there were not more LGBT-friendly retirement centres in the UK…

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 8:38am

Hopefully this will kickstart someone into action.

7. An excellent idea, especially because the co-operative approach will be used.

Also, it may be time for the gay community to contact existing retirement homes and clear the air about this issue, and perhaps organize volunteer groups to accompany seniors through the aging process.

8. Hopefully this is going to be the last generation where retirement homes have to emphasise themselves as gay friendly. I only hope this home is big enough to meet demand.

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 8:40am

I hope your right though sadly there will always be a certain element with some but hopefully as the years go on those will become lesser and lesser.

9. billywingart 3 Oct 2011, 10:38pm

If I ended up alone (my wife will prob outlive me 10 yrs, I’d prob want to go to a mostly gay place.

Just my way of supporting equality for gays and sticking it in the eye (and elsewhere) of the religious extremists.

10. Going to be happening in Australia as well soon.(In Victoria) For all of you, who probably don’t know any better, most retirement villages and nursing homes in Australia are operated by religious organisations! So could my partner and I of 26 years +, get into one of those facilties? I don’t think so! I think what will happen is that people who are progressive and alternative and don’t want to be any where near religious nutters, will have a lot more retirement village options in the future.
    Congratulations Spain on this intiative!

1. Hi Brenton. My partner and I have been looking at the many retirement villages here in the UK. We noticed that several of them are off-shoots of orders of nuns! That’s when we realised we probably would not be welcomed by fellow residents. But what of those retirement villages which are not religious here in the UK? How accepting would they be, I wonder? My partner and I are well accepted by the local community – we are not “screaming queens” – nevertheless there’s no telling. If there are any gay couples in such places already here in the UK and getting along fine, it would be nice to hear.

11. One day we will all be old and need a place to retire to that is free of hate and discrimination and let us hope when that day comes we will not have to go to some special home for gays but live freely and openly anywhere we want without hate and discrimination form anyone. We all need to work on this now to stop the hate and discrimination now if we hope to have such a life when we are old. Here are some of the people we need to deal with and stop in order to have such a free life http://nomexposed.org/
    if we are to live in peace in our old age. The time to turn the discrimination and hate around is now before we get too old to do it, if we hope to have a peaceful retirement in the future.

1. Great idea. Hope we can get it here too. Islington council take note?

2. Is it not more important to stop AIDS. hate is legal when not accompanied with incitement to violence. We all hate somthing/s. Discrimination is necessary also. How would you like your next transatlantic flight to be piloted by a retarded idiot that could not fly very well but fulfilled equality box ticking nonsense?
      the cure for AIDs is simple. Abstinence until monogamous marriage.

1. David Myers 5 Oct 2011, 2:42am

FO troll!

2. What has this to do with a proposed retirement home? I take it you’re saying the needs of elderly people are unimportant?

1. Jock S. Trap 5 Oct 2011, 9:53am

Exactly. It continues to want to put us up for debate. It’s pathetic really.

3. HIV is important to tackle and destigmatize (something you are keen to avoid thus keen to see further ignorance because of your own impotence in this area).

However, human rights, equality, the economy, community, psychological well being, integrity etc are all important too …

I suspect you know very little of any of these things given your behaviour

1. …over-population, environment crisis, clean energy… etc.

12. Cambodia Guesthouse 4 Oct 2011, 2:20am

Great idea… Nice to know when you are old and more vulnerable that you could find a place of quiet calm acceptance..

And lets be honest… How many of you saw the documentary on that care home recently? The shocking abuse of those who depend on and need a place of care… Lets encourage more caring and less ‘business’ in these things…

CARE NOT PROFIT!

13. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 8:27am

I applaud this great venture and hope to see the idea extended to other country esp here in the UK.

14. rectal breath 4 Oct 2011, 9:40am

I thought retirement homes were gender neutral. Obviously not. Hopefully there will be a proportionate balancing of the demographic pandering and we will see the introduction of hetero friendly retirement homes at at rate of 20 or so to every homo friendly retirement home. This would proportionately represent the homo- hetero demographic and ensure that hetero retirees receive the hetero services they deserve as currently retirement homes are either homo friendly or gender neutral. No hetero retirement homes exist!

1. Drivel. Bu**er off.

1. rectal breath 4 Oct 2011, 11:38am

You are reported tofopr being a monosyllabic, incoherent imbecile.

1. Then you really ought to report accurately. Only one of the three words is monosyllabic, so the adjective is inaccurate as applied to me as evidenced by the post. The charge of incoherence can’t stand either. Your post is a farrago of nonsense (=’drivel’); and to invite you to decamp on this basis is entirely coherent.
          Hope this has helped. But I suspect that heavy sedation may be more effective.

2. ‘tofopr’? Who’s incoherent now?

2. @rectal breath

You are just so obsessed arent you …

and sartingly inaccurate and irrelevant …

1. startingly

3. It is for gay men and women.

15. ¡Bien hecho España!
    Well done Spain!

16. rectal breath 4 Oct 2011, 11:41am

I actually think it is a good idea to keep the gays in separate homes. Separate Islands would also be a good idea for gays and fornicators!

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 11:58am

It didn’t work under the other names you used Keith what make you think it will now?

1. rectal breath 4 Oct 2011, 12:39pm

I think I manage to make my position clear under any name. I find homosexuality abhorrent, perverted, immoral. and against God’s intended way for human coupling. Also fine that homosexuality kand fornication is responsible for the spread of diseases which kill innocents including babies.
        We expect those born with sexual perversions to control and master them. Most paedophiles do not act on their urges. Homosexuals should take note from the paedophiles and act responsibly, to control their urges which damage society.

1. I see that yet another avatar of bigotry and stupidity has arisen on Pinknews. Its only a matter of time before this one gets silenced too

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 2:53pm

It’s the same on Gayseraph… it keeps coming back.

2. So you dont deny you used to be Keith

Interesting insight into your psyche that you call yourself rectal breath now …

Says something about your sense of personal identity

1. Pretty accurate for once though, Stu.

2. rectal breath 4 Oct 2011, 1:58pm

Keith was a Pseudonym. I don’t deny it and i only changed it as comments by ‘keith’ tend to be deleted. I am still the same immorality hating exposer of wickedness and disgusting perversions that spread death..

3. You’re still as boring too. Why on earth do you imagine anyone cares what you think?

4. Still the same ignorant person

This time with a delightful new moniker

Wonder what sub conscious thoughts were going on there when you decided you wanted rectal breath

5. I find the name quite a good representation of the standard of comment that he makes, Rehan

Although, perhaps we are both being unfair to rectums in general

6. ‘Cos he spouts a lot of Taurean faeces, Stu? I thought the same thing.

3. Oh go away, you tiresome creature.

4. Jock S. Trap 4 Oct 2011, 2:51pm

Next – yawn!

5. Patrick Lyster-Todd 4 Oct 2011, 3:00pm

It’s this religious bigot’s ignorance which I find amazing. I suppose the reference to gay people spreading diseases ‘whcih kill innocents including babies’ is meant to be a reference to HIV? What utter, sickening tosh. If there really is a God then I hope He has mercy on your soul for your hatred. Why don’t you get out there and do some good in the world rather than spread your poison here?

1. Many babies have been infected with HIV via mothers milk. Sorry to be the one to inform you. These are some of the innocents I refer to regarding preventable diseases that are passed on to innocents due to selfishness of either one or both partners.

2. @Keith

infected via their mothers milk

So the relevance to homosexual sex is where?

3. Oh 2 points, the baby is more likely to be infected when in the womb not via mothers milk (even though theoretically possible)

also, what does ANY of that have to do with a retirement home that welcomes gay people in Spain???

4. Jock S. Trap 5 Oct 2011, 9:57am

“Many babies have been infected with HIV via mothers milk.” OK and that has to do with Gay men because?

Er, not the brightest tool in the box are you Keith.

5. Jock S. Trap 6 Nov 2011, 10:22am

You bang on about HIV, innocent babies but your ignorance kills far more innocent people and babies.

6. Far too many people imagine that one of their books contains the perfect word of God the Creator of the Universe.

A secular seniors’ residence would be more to my liking.

1. Thank goodness secularism is in the ascendancy!!!

2. Not a bad idea, actually, at least about the retirement homes. Want to help us set it up? Will you provide the cabaret? I’ll organise the cream pies.

3. Jock S. Trap 6 Nov 2011, 10:20am

Oh yawn…

4. Jock S. Trap 6 Nov 2011, 10:20am

Actually if it meant keeping people away from you then I wholeheartedly agree.

Your ignorance kills more than any disease.

17. There is really no substitute for a friendly environment, but now that seniors have access to the Internet, the opportunity to form online friendships and communities is available, and I believe many seniors, gay and straight, are taking advantage of this user-friendly technology.

1. I was also thinking that the way we treat our LGBT seniors, is also a pointed reflection on the values of that society . . .

2. Gay Daily Mail Reader 5 Oct 2011, 6:40am

It is one thing to have friends on line but far better to have your friends around you and not somewhere in cyberspace.

1. ofc… there is no substitute for a friendly environment… that’s what I meant.

18. Gay Daily Mail Reader 5 Oct 2011, 6:38am

Good idea especially as older straight people are more likely to hold on to their outdated views that it is wrong to be gay. Gay senior citizens had to live much of their lives in the shadows and it would be nice if they could spend their last years amongst their peers.

19. This is a good idea for older gays and lesbians.

20. I wonder how many of you younger gays realise that lots of us are already in retirement and have been around before the law was changed,me over 52 years.We need to get LGBT homes up and running now inthe UK.We’ve made a start in Merseyside with help from Age Concern called RAINBOW LIVES.Now we need some of those affluent gays to get something started.