Right-wing Canadian group accused of transphobia for ‘confusion’ ad

1. Standard issue christofascist BS. All I see are scared old men, threatened by diversity, frustrated that Canadians are not buying in to their blinkered world view (and not putting their money in the collection plate).

1. Seriously, these people who usually protest are LGBT themselves.

2. Jock S. Trap 30 Sep 2011, 11:46am

Absolutely shameful.

They just don’t get it do they? You can’t teach this it’s the one thing a few parents hate…. children thinking for themselves which begs the questions…

Why are they parents and should they be around children?

3. Jock S. Trap 30 Sep 2011, 11:52am

Prehaps these idiots also need to be ask how the hell you teach….

Maybe they know something the rest of us don’t… somehow though I doubt it.

4. But, yet its OK to brainwash little children with their religious magical thinking and teach them hate and bigotry.What about focusing on Love & Compassion allegedly the bedrock foundations of their faith systems? These people are hypocrites absolutely immoral and disgusting!

1. Angela S. 1 Oct 2011, 1:57am

Indeed!

5. Disgusting. I’m sick of these groups spreading lies and misinformation. Children aren’t stupid and they don’t need protecting from knowledge. They are naturally curious and far more discerning than some of the ignorant, hateful bigots in this world who seem to be suffering from their own issues.

I’m particularly disgusted that they used the face of an innocent child in this way to spread hate.

1. Standard practise.

6. Love the spoof counter advert!

7. Fundies long for for a lost, simple black and white world which never actually existed. They will lie, cheat and deceive to try and reach it, but all in vain.

1. Much of this was revealed in the Prop8 trial in California, which is why they continue to try and suppress the tapes of the evidence.

8. This ad was apparently placed by Charles McVety, one of the leaders of Canada’s Christian right.

1. Wow, I had never heard of him, but from the description in Wiki his views are so obviously insane and extreme ( he even thinks environmentalism is evil ), he is actually a positive gift to the rational world. His programmes are also said to have been taken off the air because they just plain lied about various things, including gays.

1. Michael Buckman 30 Sep 2011, 4:40pm

I like the way his degrees are reported to be from an unrecognised private christian uni, and the doctorate is honorary from Russia. And to have forced out top Evangelicals from their own organisation who had less literal views of the Creation.

9. I see this as a panic; the Christo-Fascists and the Catholics Brigade are scared of their decreasing numbers and no new ‘members’, so they elicit support by [ab]using an innocent child in the form of a picture with the slogan they chose. Perhaps the child was given a bag of sweets and told to pose for something special; that kind of tactic by the church would not surprise me in the slightest.

10. [face of young child from advert]
    “I’m a boy, please help me find the freedom to be myself”

Yeah yeah, ok so most children assigned female at birth are little girls (and visa versa), what about protecting the rest of us from years of hurt and confusion?

11. Funny how they don’t have a problem confusing children with facts like; a man came back to life from the dead after three days, that a man could turn water into wine, that someone could actually walk on water, that god created the world in 7 days, and that if you if you don’t do what they say, you will end up in a place with flames burning for eternity, punished by a being with big horns who holds a stake.

12. On Sept 30, the newspaper oublished a lengthy explanation and apology:

I don’t think they entirely get it, but they promised to forward the advertising fee they received to a LGBT group.

1. PS I would have loved to see the faces at the Institute when they found out their money will end up funding a LGBT group.

2. paddyswurds 3 Oct 2011, 12:08pm

@F…
      ….What didn’t you get…..I think the apology is as good as it could possibly get and the donation of the fee to LGB causes an excellent idea and a slap in the face to the protaginists. You either believe in freedom of speech or you don’t. The issue here is the manupilation of the child and of the facts; frankly I think it is you who doesn’t “get it”.

3. Scott Lovely 3 Oct 2011, 3:09pm

They omitted the fact that the ad lied about such education being compulsory, with all that that implies.

13. I’m American but I had always heard that Canada was a lot farther ahead in this kind of thing.
    And being trans* myself, I can honestly say I was far more confused when I didn’t know why I hated being a “girl” so much.

14. Another Hannah 30 Sep 2011, 11:57pm

This flies in the face of all the research which has clearly shown that there is a higher rate of transsexualism where there is very strong role segregation. That’s the truth. Simple. This poster is dishonest. I certainly feel myself that had I not been brought up in such a railroaded maculine way and environment, allowed freedom to do what like, and follow th einterests I pleased, I might well have not been transsexual. That’s the truth.

1. paddyswurds 3 Oct 2011, 12:13pm

@Another Hannah…
      ……utter rubbish. What you are saying is that sexual orientation is learned or environmentally induced. Gay , Bi, and trans people are born with the condition and that is a proven fact.

2. Seriously, this is what you believe when all the medical evidence points to in utero-hormonal development and possibly genetic factors being the cause of Transsexuality.

15. Anyone think these morons know that intersex is a purely physical condition?

or are they reality denialists in every conceivable way?

16. What about the confusion the Christians are giving to the children by telling them the dinosaurs were on the Ark? This is after most kids have been taught that dinosaurs live millions of year ago, which can be proven with science. Christian have been hiding and twisting the truth and telling their children what they want them to hear and not the real truth, as if they will never know the real truth. Take my word for it I am a Christians who was brought up by Christian parents. A real education strikes fear in the heart of the oppressive Christians who want to control their children and people with fears and lies.

1. paddyswurds 3 Oct 2011, 12:21pm

…strange how none of the Abrahamic cults books of fiction and evil never mentioned the Dinosaurs. One would imagine that an animal of up on 20 tons would have been big in their lives if they existed side by side with humans. The sooner this religion fiction evil is stamped out the better for mankind. The dangers of religion simply must be taught in schools as one teaches about drugs other dangers man must face in life.

17. If children are fit enough to believe in a revengeful Fairy in the sky then they should be able to respect Fairies on Earth. They are the loving ones. Education is the last bastion of rebellion toward establishment. Educate and educate yourself.
    Viva la education!

18. `confuse’ – No, `educate’ is the correct word.

19. Chloe Cloud Dinan 2 Oct 2011, 4:53pm

Free speech my ass I hope who ever made this ad dies and burns in he’ll for eternity

1. paddyswurds 3 Oct 2011, 12:23pm

Isn’t hell a fiction of these christofascists making and as such doesn’t exist…?

20. Angela S. 2 Oct 2011, 8:32pm

Though intersexuality is mentioned in the quote from the ad, it further is dismissed in thid article I would say.
    So, the ad also clearly denounces intersexuality.
    I guess these bigots also would like the world, and especially children to believe that intersexuality does not exists as there obviously only are our ‘God given perfect bodies’….. So, as intersexuality does not exist, according to them, you just wonder why intersex infants still have to be mutilated to one of the options within their binary gender world fantasy based on what they, not the child, are most comfortable with…..

21. Scott Lovely 3 Oct 2011, 3:11pm

“Christians” demonising gays because they have no rational arguments is what it’s all about. It’s a dangerous path.

22. Completely awful, using a child to campaign their ignorance and intolerance!

It is because of decades of this way of thinking that we have had to fight to get the acceptance we have today. Such thinking is a very big step backwards and such thinking has not right in the ‘freedom of speech’ spiel in my opinion!

23. Miguel Sanchez 3 Oct 2011, 4:27pm

That ad is uncalled for and from what I read, it’s being pulled.

Children at a young age (under 10, IMO) don’t need to be inundated with gay, lesbian or transgender issues by the schools, that’s initially a parents job.

Too many so called “Christians” try to twist things which tick me off.

24. Well I’m trans and I’m not ‘confused’ national post. As far as nationalism goes I fully understand, for instance, the concept that those who are not ethnically indigenous to Canada are not authentically Canadian.

25. The only people who are confusing children and people are the Right wing Christians who are telling the kids that the dinosaurs were on the Ark after they were taught that the dinosaurs were millions of years old. Not to mention the fairy tale about Jesus being born by a virgin birth after the mothers or sex education taught them that a man and a woman had to have sex to make a baby. The poor children are made so confused by Christian propaganda, no wonder they can not learn and have low test scores. Then on top of that the children are raped and abused by Catholic priest and get away with it after being taught the priest are godly and religious leaders. I feel sorry for the children today who are being made dumb by all the Christian lies and hate they push on them.