Lady Gaga says she will meet Barack Obama over anti-gay bullying

1. I’m so angry. Track down those people who bullied him online and prosecute. Will take the coolness away from bullying when you’re behind bars. And ban religion with their deluded get-out-of-jail free card when it comes to hate.

2. Religion is child abuse. Religion kills. Free your mind people and dare to love.

1. de Villiers 22 Sep 2011, 5:10pm

In your mind, perhaps.

3. rest in peace mate!
    rest in peace

4. Good for her. I don’t particularly like her music, but her passion is a good thing. And I agree, we need to stop using the word “bully” and call it the crime that it is – usually at least an assault. Of course, all bullying is bad, whatever the cause and should be treated correctly rather than shrugged off as a “kids will be kids” thing. I wonder if she will have the guts to comment that homophobic bullying is particularly notable as it is just as likely to come from the pulpit, the media or the political soapbox as from a pack of feral children.

5. Good for her.

Although a law to ‘ban’ bullying is clearly nonsense as it would be virtually impossible to police.. It sounds the same as hate-crime laws – nice in theory, but more a PR move than a practical solution to any problem.

I like Gaga but I don’t think she is an expert in the field of either children or childhood issues,. I sincerely hope that if she does manage to wangle a meeting Obama (a man who believes that LGBT people do not deserve legal equality) that she brings some experts with her.

1. No, a law is not nonsense. In fact, some types of bullying are already illegal in many jurisdictions that have anti-discrimination laws that apply to schools.

For example, throughout Canada, anti-LGBT bullying is illegal in all public schools because human rights laws prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and sex in public services.

Such laws are not as effective as training, peer-based programs, GSA’s, policies and education, but they are still useful, precisely because they can lead to training, programs and policy and curriculum changes.

Under human rights legislation, victims can file a human rights complaint, which can lead to a voluntary settlement or, if there is enough evidence, an order by a tribunal or court. A settlement or order could include monetary damages, staff and student training, the revision of textbooks and curricula, etc

6. Would she have spent days yelling and crying like a self indulgent b1tch if the young lad wasn’t a fan of hers? Its always about her.

1. She’s only relayed how she feels about the incidient. You’re doing the same but I can’t call you self-indulgent.

2. Please ignore this troll guys and gals.

3. That was not me

1. It’s the real me its funny that these idiots ase so deviod oi character that they have to try to hijack mine. Parasites

1. To be fair, I’m not particularly fussed which of you is real or not.

My concern is purely with this story and with the way in which we need to get more celebrities to come out, speak up and protect our kids somewhow.

2. Get yourself a gravatar James!, and the issue won’t arise again.

1. Good idea labia breath, that’ll sort out all the spoofsters. Durr…

2. I’m in fits of laughter here..

Rehan, as you can probably guess my ID is being spoofed now. I’ll drop it.

Besides, If I were to insult anyone I wouldn’t be using ‘labia breath’.

4. Jock S. Trap 23 Sep 2011, 10:29am

Yeah, how dare she stand up for us and actually do something.

Funny how people like you bitch but are willing to take when the rights are given and good things are done.

Think you’ll find that kinda makes you a big ol hypocrite.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Sep 2011, 10:31am

OK if that was James! but imposter James! then I apologise to the real James!

It’s a shame that PinkNews chose to update comment pages but choose not to do anything about Name hijacking.

Hidden agenda, maybe PinkNews?

7. Nutjobsareeverywhere 22 Sep 2011, 11:12am

At least she’s doing something !! She’s raising awareness !!

1. jamestoronto 22 Sep 2011, 12:43pm

Right on. I can hear the criticism already had she kept silent. Damned if you do, damed if you don’t scenario. A deafening roar of silence from a awful lot of celebs so far.

2. she’s not doing anything, as someone above said, its all about her. This country has much more important issues right now than teen bullying. Teen bullying has gone on forever and will continue to go on in some form forever. Lady Gaga can’t stop teen bullying, and if Obama takes time off from the real issues plaguing our country to meet with this attention whore, he will be chastised for it until the day he leaves office. If they were to meet, what would she wear to this professional meeting? A pants-suit made out of toilet paper? I cant wait to see how honorable she does it

1. Real issues? So young people killing themselves isn’t an issue to you? Doesn’t matter if it’s one or millions, that it happens at all, especially in “developed” countries is disgusting and should be addressed. Obama is in charge of the entire country and therefore has to deal with all the problems it faces, not prioritising any one issue so therefore this should be addressed. Who cares if it’s someone like GaGa that’s taking this forward. If it gets something done to at least address and reduce the problem of bullying then good.

2. Real issue?… how many people go on to develop mental health issues or/ and kill themselves as a result of bullying?

3. Jock S. Trap 24 Sep 2011, 11:12am

Wow, why do you choose to be so blind?

Such bitterness is a very ugly feature.

3. Yeah raising awareness in her latest song.

1. Wow, you’re copying me now. I feel honoured.

It’s fine, I’ll just change my name – you can have it. Consider it agift to match your emotional immaturity.

8. Tom Stoppard 22 Sep 2011, 2:33pm

Who knows but it might be a great success for President Obango and Ladyboy gaga.

1. Who has the bigger cock though?

2. “President Obango and Ladyboy gaga”????

What are you, 5?

9. Jock S. Trap 23 Sep 2011, 10:32am

Good for her for wanting to make a difference.

1. How sad coming from Buffalo NY and coming out myself
      some 30+ years ago nothing has changed. Buffalo is homophobic
      and you can here this from there radio talk show personality.
      When a transgender teacher was called sick in the head ……..
      and the gay community did nothing.
      With there sad Gay parade of 1,000 people Buffalo will be in the closet for a long time

10. Was his mother not aware of the situation?!
    Hate crime is a disgusting act from the lowest human beings in society, and it’s only with the support of friends and family that all of us can feel confident about being who we are, because there is nothing wrong with us.
    If you know anyone who is part of the LGBT community, by all means campaign and raise awareness for their cause but it’s worthless without also offering support.
    I’m in no way blaming his mother because I haven’t got the first idea about the depth of the situation.. suicide just seems so extreme in this case where this young lad had made “..pleas for help over bullying”.
    It makes me extremely sad. I wish I had met him so that I could have been his friend.

11. Look lets just be honest here, 1) The only reason Lady GaGa is doing this is for publicity plus seriously Lady GaGa what makes you so qualified to give your EXPERT opinion on something you probably never had to deal with; go back to making music, 2) There is no way that this law would ever take into affect an if it did it would be really hard to enforce simply because you would have every single gay teen out there saying that they got bullied..

1. Jock S. Trap 25 Sep 2011, 1:09pm

Wow, bitter much?

2. Actually it’s been well documented that Lady Gaga was bullied herself quite badly because of her looks at school. I would imagine that she knows the impact of bullying.

12. Christopher 28 Sep 2011, 12:02am

Any one using this page to write any thing negative what so ever needs to seriously get a grip this innocent young person felt the need to take his life because of negative people, doesn’t that make you think!!! If you really don’t have any thing nice or constructive to say why Even say any thing!!