Madonna flash mob greets anti-gay Republican Michele Bachmann

1. She would do well to remember that the law for many years did not allow women to vote, never mind represent people.

Her privilege is a direct result of people fighting for equal rights.

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Sep 2011, 10:41am

Indeed. These people never seem to remember that the LGBT make up voters too.

2. jamestoronto 19 Sep 2011, 7:31pm

And for over three centuries slavery was well within the law — does she return to those fundamentals of the American constitution? It was the law to teach only the Bible version of Creation. It was the law that Catholics could not vote. It was the law to burn witches. It was the law to surrender your new bride to the Lord of the manor for his pleasure. In all of this the underlying word is WAS. Evolve woman. Evolve. What WAS and what IS right are not the same thing.

1. She certainly never advances any rational argument, which is why, presumably, she’s been advised to keep her mouth shut. But the more I think of it, the more entertaining I find the idea of that husband of hers as First Lady.

3. Such a wonderful idea to dance the bigotry away, really great!

4. There is an HD version on YouTube that is a lot easier to see. Check out the added web link. Very inspiring!

1. Looks great fun, I want to do that!

I hope Starbucks donated, it’s a big free ad for them!

5. “Ms Bachmann, attempting a joke, replied: “When I heard that I thought it was a mid-life crisis thing, ‘pray the gray away.’””
    That was a pretty lame attempt at a bait and switch answer.
    Obviously she’s feeling the political heat on her husband’s ex-gay councelling. Good I hope she is embarrassed to talk about it in interviews.
    As for not discriminating with people’s issues, I thought that was the entire reason for Ex-gay clinics, they’re already working on the implicit assertion gay=wrong and are pushing a snake-oil cure for it.
    I would also remind her that christian fundamentalists never had a monopoly on marriage. It existed long before Christianity and has never been exclusive to her religion.

1. She’s such a natural comic isn’t she though, she always makes me laugh anyway.

1. I’d like to see the Little Britain team do a take off of them, Walliams as her and Matt Lucas as him.

6. She seems very slippery and frankly not over-bright, though brainier than Sarah Palin (a lot of people are). Bachmann for the GOP nomination! A collective act of suicide might wake up the sane Republicans, of which apparently there are a few left.

7. Well done, Jay Leno: “I’ve been married 31 years, first wife, very happy. Two gay guys get married, how does that affect my marriage?”

Note she doesn’t reply.

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Sep 2011, 10:40am

They never reply to rational question, it doesn’t equate and compute to their irrational bigotry.

8. Jock S. Trap 20 Sep 2011, 10:32am

““The whole thing is, with clinics, whatever issue anyone has, we don’t discriminate, we don’t discriminate with people’s issues.””
    She must spend an absolute fortune on the cosmetic surgery to constantly shorten her nose!

1. Do you think she meant that she /could/ cure left-handedness?

Imagine that, one race, one handedness. Wouldn’t that be great? NAAAAAT. (Borat)

9. Katie Beth 20 Sep 2011, 4:05pm

Saying “Pary the Gay Away” does no good. My friend, who for this purpose shall remain nameless, is OBVIOUSLY gay and we ALL know it. He has my GSA bracelet, wore a dress today for wacky-tacky day[with matching heels], and is good friends with people of all sexual orientations. Because of ONE slip up he now goes to therapy and is constantly monitored. It’s that kind of lack of tolerance that creates women like her. I just hope she wasn’t REALLY thinking she could pull off that “I thought it was Pray Away the Grey” joke. She’s already made her case and people just don’t like it.

10. She’d be intellectually challenged to complete a two-piece jigsaw!!!!!

11. She, and others like her, don’t get it that people have issues over being gay because of people like her. When one goes around preaching that there is something wrong with being gay and that with the “right” kind of help these people can become straight, of course people especially younger people from families with conservative values are going to have problems.

There have been a number of teen suicides due to anti-gay bullying in her own Congressional district but Bachmann still refuses to speak out about it, despite petitions and advocates even meeting with her staff. She simply says that anti-gay bullying leading to teen suicides is not a national issue. Unfortunately, none of the other candidates in her party are any better, and some are worse.

1. I suspect she does get it but sees it as collateral damage in the fight against “normalising” homosexuality. What are a few dead teenagers when weighed against the souls of a nation etc. Of course she couldn’t say that on TV, could she?

12. Michelle Bachman has a snowball’s chance in hell of getting the Republican nomination.

I am far more concerned about someone like Rick Perry – the governor of Texas – getting the nomination.

He is more media savvy, therefore his bigotry is less newsworthy. Nevertheless he is a ‘dominionist’ apparently ie someone who believes that the US government should only employ christians.

1. I think dominionists are supposed to actually want a world theocracy of fundamentalist christianity. They have a cunning little plan. Joking aside though, they seem to be on course in Africa and Asia. No doubt they may be funding some of our planned faith schools!

13. Notice that when Jay Leno asked: “Two gay guys get married, how does that affect my marriage?” Michele Bachmann did not reply to his question. Instead she made a statement that had nothing to do with the question. Listen to her interviews and you’ll notice she never gives an answer to what is asked. She’ll merely reply with some generality and the presenters don’t push her on it. I love how her husband has been nicknamed “Ladybird Bachmann” by many in the gay community.

1. Well, to be fair though, have you ever seen a politician answer the question asked? We need to send them Paxman to ask the tough questions. Or maybe David Frost could do a Nixon on them.

14. E J Thribb ( age 17 1/2) 21 Sep 2011, 12:39am

It’s important for people to be committed. Especially her.

15. Jock S. Trap 21 Sep 2011, 12:57pm

One has to wonder how these people know (or think they know) that work her husband does works, unless of course they’ve ‘been cured’ themselves. Sadly not of their hate and bigotry mind.

1. They think that crude outward conformity to homophobic expectations is evidence of ‘cure’ – getting married or just not getting it on with someone of your own sex is often taken as meaning you’re not actually gay anymore. Outward appearance is everything, what people feel counts for is nothing. What a surprise for authoritarian religion. Some studies have even turned up ‘ex-gays’ blithely saying ‘of course I’m still tempted’, while simultaneously saying that they are ‘no longer gay’. Redefining and demoting your feelings to ‘temptations’ is a big part of the trick.

16. I prayed, yet I stayed.