Maryland teenager jailed for five years over attack on transgender woman

1. OrtharRrith 15 Sep 2011, 1:19pm

Outstanding! Now, if the American courts can keep it up AND the UK courts follow their example. None of this £350 fine rubbish.

2. I remember watching this video and being horrified that someone could abuse someone like that. It was one of the most digusting things I have ever witnessed. I am glad the book was thrown at her, her accomplice and also glad to hear that the employee who filmed it has been fired. I hope that stays on his record for LIFE. In my opinion, he should have been punished harsher than that.

1. I watched it too, it was horrific. I can’t believe only one person stuck up for her.

3. What that big fat black women was just a teenager??? Gush did she been fed with hormones? but any way this kind of attack shall stop indeed. What happened to those McDonald employees who’s did nothig to protect the victim?

1. Miguel Sanchez 15 Sep 2011, 3:00pm

McDonalds condems the attack yet it fires the employee who filmed it. WTF is going on? They should have fired those who did nothing.

1. The employee who filmed the attack did nothing, when he could have intervened, even verbally or called the police. that’s why he was sacked.

2. Miguel, on what grounds would they fire their employees on? Also, it is not up to the employees to act as security guards and put themselves in danger. The police were called and the attackers have been given the sentence they deserve.

I think it’s awful that such an attack took place though and my sympathies go out to the victim.

1. That could constitute a claim for unfair dismissal! After all, employee could have claimed there was some genuine fear which is why the employee probably did not intervene!

1. David Myers 15 Sep 2011, 11:13pm

I would like to know what the fired employee’s motivation was in filming the beating. If it was to provide police evidence, then he should not have been fired. Did he volunteer his film to the police prior to them being informed by others that the filming took place?

2. biillywingarten 16 Sep 2011, 6:51am

A pot of hot coffee thrown in the face of the kid who beat the victim would have changed the scene immediately.

1. Keith Farrell 28 Sep 2011, 10:51am

I cannot understand why they fired the person filming this, that person need a medal afterall what sort of conviction would there had been without the video

2. The emplyee was fired because they did nothing, they filmed to fight soley to post on youtube. had it not been for other customers the cops most likely wouldn’t have even been called. at no point did they person filming say HEY STOP THAT or WE”RE CALLING THE COPS! they were not in fear for them selves at any time. They just didn’t nothing! thats why I’m glad the employee got fired!It is never right to not stand up when you see ANYBODY in trouble! reguardless of race, age, sex or sexualality!

4. Thats just made my day
    big fat bully not laughing now is she

1. biillywingarten 16 Sep 2011, 6:53am

probably being taught how to become a lesbian in prison. Yes I do support cruel punishment.

5. Some degree of justice and hopefully a message to other bigots that they will be punished for hitting “soft” targets.

6. Jock S. Trap 15 Sep 2011, 4:27pm

With this I hope Ms Polis can start to rebuild her life piece by piece and open up away from the fear of this happening again.

It sadly only takes one mindless thug to wreck a life and change it but it is possible to regain the life you had and the trust with the help of those around you.

As for the criminal, I hope she has learnt something about her vicious side but I doubt it, somehow. I hope to be proved wrong.

1. I’d hope that the attacker would receive some kind of psychological investigation in prison. What would make someone do something like that?

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Sep 2011, 8:50am

Agreed, Iris. Personally I think she should never be released until the powers that be are certain she will never endanger anybody elses life.

7. I’m glad the attacker has been given a proper and reasonably lengthy sentence. This was an utterly sickening attack.

1. Absoluitely… No need for it in this day and age… yet again, another narrow minded, ill educated person I bet, who carried out the attack.

8. Another Hannah 15 Sep 2011, 5:32pm

This was not a brawl between two trouble makers, and the criminal would have continued presumably until death had she not been stopped, at a price by an innocent bystander. At least in America they understand appropriate sentencing, what a shame are British judges are so thick, insensitive and bigoted.

1. Another Hannah 15 Sep 2011, 5:33pm

our not are, of course

2. David Myers 15 Sep 2011, 11:17pm

I hope some of her time was added for her subsequent attack on the person who intervened which is a second case of assault.

1. biillywingarten 16 Sep 2011, 6:54am

she got 5 years. I think this crime is called first degree assault, a felony punishable by up to ten years in prison.

9. This is good news now they need to lock up some of those Right Wing Christians who are making trouble for LGBT people in America.

10. Hey, I’m angry at the attacker as much as anyone else, but can we not fling the “fat” insult around? A person’s size has nothing to do with this; skinny people are capable of being jerks, too.

Anyhow, this broad should have gotten attempted murder. I don’t at all doubt she would have killed Miss Polis, and I don’t believe for a second that the attackers are remorseful. They’re just crying because they got caught.

1. David Myers 15 Sep 2011, 11:16pm

Right you are. Her “fatness” has nothing to do with her bigotry and illegal actions. To malign her for being fat is not only irrelevent but also a form of bigotry in itself. She deserves her sentance for her illegal acts – her weight has nothing to do with it.

11. PLEASE ALL ATTEND THE SECULAR EUROPE MARCH IN LONDON THIS SATURDAY!

TAKE A STAND AGAINST RELIGIOUS FASCISM.

1. But what of the growing secular facism? Who will stand against that? Not that I disagree with said march, just thinking out loud. After Millenia of persecution, does not being intolerent towards the intolerent make what you are fighting for a little pointless?

1. biillywingarten 16 Sep 2011, 7:04am

kind of comparing gay people to be equivalent to the movement that threw the gays in the ovens with the Jews and others.

Just an old case of blaming the victims. wonder which hate church put you up to that letter.

What you are doing is helping to create the same scene that Yamamoto described after the attack on Pearl harbor in Dec 1941

“I fear we have wakened a sleeping giant, and his resolve will be endless”

My best recomendation to you is to keep your mouth shut.

2. We are not secular fascists we believe in a seperation of state and faith. This just means they will have the same rights as the rest of us with no special privileges, we are not in anyway taking away there rights merely because they are religious we are just no longer rewarding them for it.

2. biillywingarten 16 Sep 2011, 6:59am

wow – wish I could be there. If only we could hoist the head of the Pope RATZInger, whose extremism comes from where and when he was born and brought up

He served as a h!tler youth in his youth. Its obvious his early training still is formeonst in his mind. http://nobelifs.com/SIZAM.htm (just reverse the order of the capitalized letters – they delete comments with certain words.

Forever secular. Religiion – the curse of humanity.

3. I can’t make it but wish I could and I hope your march goes well.

12. lady tanya 16 Sep 2011, 2:15am

good I hope she will learn something in prison ,,,,I hope she gets picked on ,then she can feel what it is like to live in fear, always looking over your shoulder,,, you wake up startled as you think you heard a noise, you sleep on the couch so you are near the back door,, so you can get out in a hurry, if there are flames at your front door. You walk down the street and flinch when someone passes near to you,
    I hope she comes at a nerves wreck and has to take medication the rest of her pitiful
    Life

13. biillywingarten 16 Sep 2011, 6:49am

I was actually there at the rally at the mcdonalds, though you cant see me in the pix.

I have about 6 trans friends, some of whom I will lightly kiss on the cheek when we meet. And I actually met the victim, a miss polis at the gay pride celebration in baltimore md th is year

BTW she may be trans but I never would have guessed.

As for this creepy you know what – I hope that piece of human garbage has a good time in prison. A real good time

The other kid involved got some community service and probation btw, she was only 14. Wonder how that will work out.

Welcome to another hate of the haters – mostly catholic and right wing xtians who poison societies.

the are the curse of civilization every bit if not more then extremist islam.

14. Utterly disgusting behaviour. ‘My mother didn’t raise me like this.’ So who did? Bloody Mary? Cruella Deville? Grendel’s Mum? Maybe her mother has changed all the locks.

15. I’ll say one thing for the yanks, when they sentence they SENTENCE. Here that piece of trash would be given a community order instead of a jail term.

16. This is a start but that ‘employee’ who filmed the whole attack and WARNED the abusers to get out as the PD was on the way MUST be brought to justice one way
    …. or another.
    Sophia

17. Nadine Stransen 22 Sep 2011, 11:28am

Unfortunately I don’t know one trannie who hasn’t been physically attacked in a hate crime…I should know I am a tranny and have been brutally bashed at least six times and raped with a shot gun at my head for twelve hours resulting in major reconstructive surgery having to be done….when will the worst of the mono-genders stop it? You are not superior to us.

18. Hey everyone,

As a trans woman who was horrified by this attack, let me say I am disturbed and disappointed by the comments on this article. I love the “Die Cis Scum” meme, and I think Malcolm X’s advice should apply to trans people— “Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.” If cis attackers need to die to save trans lives, I am all in favour of it.

But sending attackers to prison after the fact is a different story. Prisons do not reduce violence against trans people. The prison industrial complex is THE BIGGEST source of violence against trans people!! If we want to protect trans people, we should be advocating prison abolition, not cheering sadistically when someone is incarcerated.

Also, do we really think years of suffering and abuse is going to transform that young woman into a more compassionate, peaceful, understanding person??

With love,