London charity for older LGBT people seeks volunteers

1. Jock S. Trap 9 Sep 2011, 3:05pm

A very worthy charity to a much underestimated problem. People always seem to forget the elders of our society, yet we should never forget and should help to make their lives better and easier.
    Most of us will be there too one day and we have to look at how we’d feel.

1. I agree, an excellent venture and a mark of maturity. It is very important that we think about the care and dignity of older LGBT people

2. Agreed… the young and the elderly can do so much for each other, and there are few things as fulfilling as volunteer work.

2. I wish I had money. I’d give a lot to this charity. At least I can volunteer to help them. It scares me getting old. I know how much I help my mum in old age. Who is going to help me?

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Sep 2011, 9:38am

Good comment Uh Oh.
      I think you’ve hot the nail on the head with the comment “It scares me getting old” because I think this is why some people don’t volunteer. It’s vanity really I guess but actually if people treated others how they wish to be treated maybe getting old wouldn’t seem so bleak. It may not be easy helping someone older but it’s harder for the Elderly person whose getting the help, losing their independence.
      Having said that you clearly are a great help to you mum and I’m sure she appriecates it. It’s helping make someone’s life a little easier that makes things worth while.
      The good thing is there will always be good people out there willing to help make a difference and people like Nick Maxwell, who I’ve know for many years, is an inspiration to this cause.

3. A new low in immorality.
    Pass the vomit bag!

1. Keith, thanks for passing the vomit bag, now let me empty the contents all over your head!!!

1. Swallow your own vomit “Sicko”

1. He’s a big fan of Paul Cameron…. need I say more?

1. This low rated comment idea appears to work in opposition to it’s intended purpose. Thanks for the votes folks and the extra attention that they attract…
            Nitwits!

2. I works exaclty how it was intended, i. e to muzzle trolls like you
            Get used to it!!!

3. haha Keith is getting more fustrated suck it up beyatch

4. Go read your Dave Hafer comic books..

You and Paul Cameron were wrong to claim that gays do not live to be 65, eh.

5. “Thanks for the votes folks and the extra attention that they attract…”

You mean the deletions?

LOL! Yeah, I simply love your futility at posting comments that will get deleted!

Beautiful!

6. “This low rated comment idea appears to work in opposition to it’s intended purpose. Thanks for the votes folks and the extra attention that they attract…
            Nitwits!”

Yeah, more people than normal will see what an unmitigated fool you are, Keith. Do you like that? Being a utter fool? Do you? Sure you do.

So many people laughing at you right now…. right up to the point your comments get deleted! LOL!

2. Ooops meant to put a like but accidentally pressed dislike :S

2. Jock S. Trap 10 Sep 2011, 9:39am

As opposed to you being the lowest of the low of humanity.

3. Where have all Keith’s posts gone? Are they gone to heaven?

LMAO!

4. You are scum! I think most people will need the ‘vomit bag’ for you.

4. I wish I lived in London, I’d get involved.

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Sep 2011, 9:40am

Nothing wrong with getting help and advise in seeing if you can make a difference in your area.

2. Nick Maxwell 11 Sep 2011, 8:51pm

get in touch anyway and we can point you in the right direction

5. It is a wonderful initiative and a sobering reminder of what our elders went through. I am sure that if I had been born even 10 years earlier (i.e., 1946 and not 1956), my life would have been much, much tougher.

6. I hope you guys are going to put your money where your moth is an volunteer

7. “Given what I now know, I believe there are flaws with Paul Cameron’s study.

One cannot extrapolate from his methodology and say that the average male homosexual life span is 43 years.”

- former Ronald Regan Cabinet member William Bennett criticizing Cameron’s “gay lifespan study.” – New Republic (1998, February 23, page 4)

8. Wonderful development, a much needed initiative in this era where the (hopelessly naive) emphasis is on youth and physique, consumption, etc seems to shape what gay culture is supposed to be… Shamefully, this neglects/ excludes the generation that did much of the legwork to allow LGBT to be recognised as a minority/ies in the first instance.

However, as a 48 y.o., I’m a bit concerned that 50 is seen as being an “elder” tho … I’ll fight that label until I’m at least 80 ;> … don’t write me off just yet, eh?

1. Nick Maxwell 12 Sep 2011, 5:52pm

“older” and wiser… and a bit of elder thrown in for good measure :-)

9. The photo accompanying this article is one of DEL MARTIN (87) and PHYLLIS LYON (84) on their Wedding Day, June 16, 2008, in San Francisco.

Del & Phyllis – superstars in American Gay History:

10. Ian Townson 11 Sep 2011, 9:54pm

I am already involved in starting up a new Older LGBT group in Wandsworth under the umbrella of Age UK. I can’t think of a more worthwhile way to spend my time as a volunteer. It’s really important to build up friendship and social networks to breakdown isolation and loneliness.

1. I’m so proud of you, Ian. :)

11. A very worthwhile cause….and that photo at the top is fantastic!

12. Staircase2 13 Sep 2011, 3:13am

What a fantastic Charity – amazingly worthwhile work

13. Congratulations to AGE UK for starting this super charity. Now all we need is the rest of the country to follow. As a 74 year old I know all about the hard times but let’s look forward to what can be done for today and tomorrow.