Lesbian MSP Ruth Davidson launches campaign to lead Scottish Tories

1. Jock S. Trap 9 Sep 2011, 3:00pm

Good luck to hear. Lets hope she can make a difference and modernise the party even more.

1. Absolutely hope she can be charasmatic and lead effectively. Hope she maintains her centrist approach that has been there in the past and doesnt veer towards the extreme right.

Incidentally, I have been away for a few weeks (long story!) but do these thumbs up and down indicate better control over some people who inappropriately post on here?

1. Paddyswurds 10 Sep 2011, 7:48am

A GAY leader of the Law & Justice Tories of whatever hue!!. Is this not akin to being a member of one of the Abrahamic Fantasy Cults and being Gay at the same time or to put it in simple terms; Turkeys voting for the Holidays?.

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Sep 2011, 8:02am

But surely we can only expect change if people are willing to make a difference?

2. Here is hated filled Paddyswurd again…. just not happy are you at any progress that you don’t approve of?

A lesbian is close to becoming the leader of one of the four major parties in Scotland, that is great progress. Hopefully it could help lesbians to become more viable in politics because there is a lack of them and it is worrying. There is a lack of trans people too, I hope this step will encourage others, from any political party to put themselves forward.

3. Not sure what the direction of your comment was intended to be there Paddyswurds …

No one has mentioned religion on this thread until you did … so can you please elucidate what you meant?

1. Paddyswurds 11 Sep 2011, 9:34pm

@stu…
            …even tho I know you are being obtuse Stu I will reply and that is that it is a comparison. Interestingly you did seem to understand the turkey analogy.Well the religion one was similar. The abrahamic culst dor the most part hate us and would do us harm if they could Likewise the Tories…but then you already knew that is what i meant……..

2. @Paddyswurds

I am not being obtuse, although its unsurprising that you maintain a mentality that anyone asking clarification from you is the one at fault – that seems to be your modus operandi

I hear your argument in your reply, don’t agree with it entirely – although can see where it comes from, nonetheless I still can not see where this comment came from with regards this particular thread, it appears highly irrelevant to bring religion into this particular issue

2. Jock S. Trap 10 Sep 2011, 8:02am

Ello Stu, yes welcome back Mr.

This new look arrived this week. The thumbs do make a difference if you like or dislike a post. If people dislike a post they are hidden-ish.

1. Thanks! It sounds like a potential way to give some control, without controlling if that makes sense

2. I hope so too!!!

2. jamestoronto 9 Sep 2011, 4:33pm

A lesbian a front runner for the Tory leadership in Scotland!! A gay man poised to become President of Eire (last I heard)!! A lesbian prime minister in Iceland!!! Marriage equality in almost all of western Europe — I did say almost all — slowly moving across the globe!!! Are our homelands suddenly slipping into roiling Atlantic? NOT. Has equalization of marriage wiped that ancient ceremony out of existence? NOT. Have lightening bolts and great fireballs been reining in our little blue planet. NOT.

In short nothing earth shattering or out of the ordinary has happened except that the world has become a little more livable and tolerable for that element of society that for far too long has been ignored — when it is not being persecuted.

1. Unfortunately not in Ireland, but the rest is all good

1. Paddyswurds 10 Sep 2011, 7:52am

There is a popular movement for Norris to restart his Presidental bid as the rest of the field is so dire as to make a mockery of the whole process.

1. Have been away from the news for a few weeks so had missed that … will go and check the Irish Indep website! Thanks Paddyswurds

1. Paddyswurds 11 Sep 2011, 9:39pm

@Stu ..
            ….he hasn’t made an announcement yet but is expected to this coming week. However don’t expect aqything unbiased from the I.I. website. They are akin to being Irelands answer to the Daily Mail except more right wing. It’s owned by arch ass lick Tony O’Reilly.

2. @Paddyswurds

Thanks, will look at a variety of Irish websites then. I had always found the Irish Indep reasonable … but then I am not a serial reader of it, but will be more circumspect

2. Stephen Kay 9 Sep 2011, 11:34pm

The conservative party of Spain(PP) who is polled to win the elction this year has pledged to ban gay marriage in Spain. It is my belief Portugal will follow suit. In Western Europe that will leave only Belgium Holland Norway and Sweden.

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Sep 2011, 8:06am

I do wish people would should respect and once given Equality legislation Stop debating LGBTQI people.

It’s almost like a blood sport for come right wingers.

2. Stephen, do you have any evidence that states the PP in Spain are going to ‘get rid of’ marriage equality laws? Like-wise for Portugal.

I think both countries have other things to be getting on with than taking back equality laws like getting to grips with their massive budget deficits and unemployment levels.

3. Gay Daily Mail Reader 11 Sep 2011, 8:58pm

In the 80’s some Conservative MP’s were calling for the recriminalisation of Homosexuality – one even said that he would ‘gas 90% of gays’ to control AIDS. Prior to that there were voices in the Labour Party opposed to gays. For example, Frank Pakenham, the 7th Earl of Longford (Lord Longford) who championed the release of child murderer, Myra Hindley was an opponent of gay rights.

Nowadays such views will not be tolerated in the mainstream parties and I look forward to the day when the Republican Party in America (which has a gay lobby – the Log Cabin Republicans) stops fielding anti-gay members for election.

3. She looks like a hod carrier.

1. Says a freak

2. Sad Troll!!!

4. Keith, many people who feel homosexual will forever be self hating and I think this may be the case for you. You’re on a gay news website yet dislike homosexuals. Doesn’t make sense mate. You’re gay and everyone knows it so just come out of the closet!

5. JDA_Glasgow 12 Sep 2011, 10:33pm

I couldn’t care less whether or not Ruth Davidson is a lesbian. However, what I DO care about is how someone only elected to Hollyrood in May of this year could possible be the Leader of ANY party. Frankly, I do not think she has the necessary experience. Btw, I AM a Tory – and always have been!

6. james leet 7 Aug 2012, 10:39am

where is the difference you were going to make as far as i can see it is only your own agenda you are following why give 981/2 %of the electorate your views on same sex marriage i will never and also friend of mine vote for conservatives again you are ruining this country