Kristen Chenoweth on being a Christian and a gay rights supporter

1. Good for her. Kristen and her grandmother are clearly enlightened people. I love the comment about reading the Bible being like eating fish, it’s brilliant.
    Liberal views of the Bible have been around since the late 18th century (the first group to embrace the Higher Criticism was Unitarians), so it’s good that it’s finally percolating into the Christian mainstream.

2. Let’s be honest, a lot of christians are really so-called “cafeteria christians” who slide their tray down the scripture and pick out the bits that fit their personal bias and opinions (or at least, those biases and opinions installed in them by someone with an agenda). And that’s the problem with the bible – you can use it to support peace and love and cuddles and fluffy bunnies, or you can use it to support damnation, hellfire and the smiting of your enemies. How convenient. (Oh, and she was rubbish in The West Wing).

1. douglas in canada 7 Sep 2011, 5:33pm

I know what you mean by ‘cafeteria christians,’ but I also think that can go both ways – the ones who only pick out the damnation bits, the ones who only pick out the ‘god loves us and jesus is my friend’ bits, plus all the other options when you pick and choose.

There are also the variations in how the bible is read and interpreted, whether it is literal or not. Unfortunately, we usually hear from the damnation literalists who then give everyone else so much bad press.

Just sayin’…

1. I like your response Douglas. To me the term ‘cafeteria christian is emotionally laden and is meant as a put down. It seems to be used by those who believe they have a superior interpretation of the bible. In reality of all christian believers’ who actually isn’t a cafetreria christian i.e, puts on their christian tray the bits they mots like to devour. The haters gorge on the bits that support their hatred etc.

2. It’s not ‘a lot of Christians’, Valksy. It’s all of them. Believing it all would produce extreme incoherence.

1. Indeed, and not many Christians I know believe it all. It is fundamentalists who shout the loudest who say that we should believe it all. Most of us read the bible critically.

1. The point is they just claim to believe it all, but it is rubbish. That is simply not possible. You cannot believe, for example, that you can only be forgiven by God by the atoning blood of Christ (Paul), and that you can be forgiven by forgiving your brother (Jesus himself). Jesus is even described telling a rich young man that he must give away all his wealth to the poor to be justified before God. – Not a principle believed or practised by ‘Bible-believing Christians.’
          The point is that Jesus became the focus of a mystical cult around his death which he himself would have found baffling or offensive. The irony is that the ‘sacrificed God-man’ at the heart of Christian doctrine is an essentially pagan notion. Christianity as it developed was hardly possible outside the Roman empire with its penchant for mystery religions.

2. I am not like that, please don’t say all as that offends good people like me that support financially many LGBT initives and why? Because I GIVE A DAMN…

3. AnAngryChristian 9 Sep 2011, 10:22am

Seems that Kristen is one of them.. you can’t read scripture and they say that the homosexual act is anything other than sin.

Sorry Kristen, but the truth does debate.

3. Sam Maloney 7 Sep 2011, 8:22pm

Its worth remembering that the Bible has more to say in favor of slavery than it does against homosexuality…

4. God Bless her and her grandmother, for they are the true Christians who love gays, after all god said to love one another.

1. Loving everyone you say. Would that include child abusers?

1. Like those in the Catholic church Keith?

Tell me, what do YOU believe in? Apart from fear, hatred and intolerance?

1. de Villiers 8 Sep 2011, 12:37pm

I am a Catholic as are all of my family and all of my French friends.

2. don’t put someone down because they have a positive attitude, keith. it’s pathetic.

3. Jock S. Trap 9 Sep 2011, 11:15am

Irrelevent to this thread.
        LGBTQI people are NOT up for debate on this site, the stories are.

5. There is a conflict between being Xtian and being Gay? Huh, who knew?

If Jesus came back tomorrow, he would be crucified again, this time by his so-called followers. Fundamentalist/Fanatical/Megachurch Xatians do not teach the word of God, they teach the word of man and no man can know God’s thoughts.

He who would serve God for money, will serve the Devil for better wages.

Good for this woman for having realised young an important truth about life.

6. Being a Christian doesn’t mean you can’t also be for Gay rights. There are certain Christian religions such as Catholics who are against gay rights. But the United Church of Christ (UCC), is for same sex marriage. I just hate that there are so many articles where people have to wrestle with being Christian and being for equality of all people. Being Christian does not automatically mean you are intolerant…

1. There is no such thinhg as gay rights. heteros and homos have equal rights. For instance 2 hetero males may not marry, neither may two homo males.
      Whether tha hetero males would want to marry or not is irrelevant, the point is, the law is the same for ALL!
      Why should the homos brigade have special rights?

1. Ben Foster 8 Sep 2011, 11:43am

Oh dry up, Keith. you have no idea what you’re talking about.

2. fak off

3. Poor Keith, his comments are getting more histrionic.,… as they keep getting deleted LOL! Oh, bless….

1. Bye bye Keith-Delete! We loved your offensive tirade, but like all stupidity, it eventually gets washed away by reason.

4. douglas in canada 9 Sep 2011, 5:09am

I’m always amazed at how stupid some people are. A number of countries around the world allow two men to marry, or two women. If you haven’t heard that, it’s time for you to do more reading and listening, and less talking. You may not like it, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t allowed.

5. Jock S. Trap 9 Sep 2011, 11:19am

Totally irrelevent.
        LGBTQI people are NOT up for debate on this site, the stories are.

2. Jock S. Trap 9 Sep 2011, 11:18am

Thats right, Many Christians aren’t bigots.
      It’s just ashame that the hateful ones do tend to shout louder.
      We must never forget that some Religions and thoses within are publically calling to be allowed to perform Civil Partnerships & Marriage (Equal)

3. I am about to become a Catholic, however I am NOT against Gay rights at all. In fact I am all for Gay rights, hence why I take the time to come on sites like this so I can know what is happenning in the Gay community, please do not tarr all of us with the same brush!!!! Sure, some are down right self righteous as and when it fits, but some of us like me are all for equal rights for EVERYONE, and that means LGBT people.

7. She has always been a supporter of the LGBT community and you can see Kristen herself talking about this as she accepts the Vanguard Award at the GLADD Media Awards in Los Angeles earlier this year:

8. Oh, and by the way, both PInkNews and myself have mispelled her name. It’s Kristin, not Kristen.

9. Why picking “bad things ” from Bible anyway?
    The ones that do that condemn themselves to Hell. Hell on Earth.
    Go with the good stuff. Plenty of gay love in the Bible. Jonathan and David- 2.Samuel 1:26 Naomi and Ruth-Ruth 1:14.

1. Johnathan and david were best freinds, nothing else. Stop trying to read your slant into perfectly innocent stories. As for ruth and naomi your hugely mistaken, she was her mother in law that she loved as a mother. She then got married, to a MAN. But yeah they were all gay… with florence nightingale, janis joplin, elizabeth I, da vinci, blah blah who you imagine to be gay to normalise what you stand for

10. Jock S. Trap 9 Sep 2011, 11:14am

Good for her.
    Always welcome to have such support away from the usual bigots within her religion.

11. Jock S. Trap 9 Sep 2011, 11:26am

Good for her. It’s always good to have such support. It makes a change from the bigots.

12. she reads the bible, eh. She better read it again if she thinks homosexuality is NOT a sin.

13. ure such a twit

14. Do you really think Jesus would call someone a “sick vile sodomite” and “disgusting buggerers”? The only people he lambasted were the religious folk of his day who tried to prevent people from reaching out to God. You would do well to take note.

15. Please keep your hateful comments to yourself or go back to the ‘christian’ institute and make them there. Do you really think Jesus would be hateful like you?!

16. LOL! That is THE stupidest thing I have ever heard.

How do you like your comments being deleted? Fun, huh? I’m having a blast.

17. 1 – It really is bloody irritating to put up with ignorant fools who don’t even bother to read the books whose authority they claim. Jesus said that Torah was made for man, and not the other way around, and that treating others as you would wish to be treated is the meaning of the Law and the Prophets. Luke presents him as praising the faith of a pagan Roman outwith Torah against that of those who observed it.
    2 – Emotive disgust about faeces is irrelevant to AIDS, which is caused by a virus. But emotive disgust about guys getting it together is what you’re really about. Or pretending emotive disgust?

18. Ex-gay.

19. “Homosexual acts were and are fornication.”

So what. Get over it. And do it quickly, you comments are being deleted!

LOL!

20. Then you are a hypocrite (surprise, surprise) if you claim Jesus as your moral authority. He seemed to allow of no exceptions to the rule to love your neighbour, whether you find said neighbour’s habits agreeable or not.

21. Jock S. Trap 9 Sep 2011, 11:16am

Another irrelevent comment.
    LGBTQI people are NOT up for debate on this site, the stories are.

22. You are not supposed to love sisgusting things though are you. If your neighbour is a child abuser, you are correct to denounce him as a gross sinner and morally repugnant individual. It is the same with homosexuality. Paslms 97:10 says hate “what is bad.”. This hatred is directed toward the act not the person, therefore, jesus command is not broken.
    jesus denounce the Pharisees of his day yet he did not hate them, just their acts.

23. You once again shift the goalposts, Keith. And if you are hot on the Psalms, infant Babylonians must come within your definition of what is bad, or at least worthless, to judge by the charming individual who penned no. 137.

24. You have ignored the interesting point I made that exposed your error. I told you that jesus denounce the Pharisees for their hypocritical acts. Either you believe this denubcuiation to be hate or not. If hate, then why did jesus say to love your neighbor? If not, it is also proper to denounce other wrong acts. You see the point?

25. dirtyrottenfaggot *cough cough* 13 Sep 2011, 8:37am

Yes, but in the bible it also says not to cast judgement upon other people. You sir have no right to judge me for an orientation I have no right over, you also are not allowed to tell me that I am going to hell for being a “homosexual” “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39 KJV

So ‘denounce’ me if you will. Though you have no right. I shall continue living the way I was made, I never chose to be “a dirty rotten faggot” neither am I a dirty rotten faggot, I am merely a man who loves another man, and I’m quite happy with my boyfriend.