Actors’ union to ask gay members about homophobia

1. Ian Bower 7 Sep 2011, 3:20pm

Stay in the closet?
    Self interest over the bigger picture.
    I’m sure they’ll take any benefits gained by those who are out.
    I cannot stand closeted gays when it’s only in their (self deluded) interest to be there.

2. Another Hannah 7 Sep 2011, 10:28pm

I would choose an ulcer over starvation any day. Where are the facilities to include trans. people in any of this? There is even government legislation that says it’s fine to discriminate against trans people in this area (introduced by Mr B-Liar.

3. Another Hannah 7 Sep 2011, 10:30pm

Surely it’s a bit of a joke asking this given that the law specifically exempts the T part and allows discrimination against it. What do they think they are playing at!

1. postoplass 8 Sep 2011, 11:47am

I Agree, Another Hannah,

If actors refused to take a part if the show, film or drama shows gay, lesbian, bi and transsexual people in a bad light, then that could only be good thing in respect of the hate comments people receive which it could be argued stem from the way LGBT people, especially T people, but the fact that police don’t take transphobic comments seriously, is it a waste of energy reporting

1. postoplass 8 Sep 2011, 11:50am

sorry i am a little dyxlexsic, i meant they wat LGBT people are portrayed in said show, films and dramas

4. Whilst my personal belief is that it is preferable to be open , honest and transparent with regards disclosure of oritentation; I do acknowledge that in some circumstances there are reasons why some may be reluctant to disclose their sexuality to others. I would hope in this day and age (certainly in countries such as the UK, USA, NZ, South Africa, Netherlands etc etc) that the circumstances in which non-disclosure was necessary would be reduced substantially. I would also think that choosing a career in the arts, be that acting or otherwise, is not an obvious reason to choose not to disclose. Fundamentally however, the fact remains that whether or not to disclose is a choice and I would passionately fight to retain that choice rather than force people out; although simultaenously seek to encourage people to be honest, transparent and open.

1. How are you, Stu? Haven’t seen your posts for ages.

5. It’s not harmed Ian McKellen’s career.

1. Most of his career was done BEFORE he came out, so he can rest on his reputation and laurels. And, of course, it was an open secret within the industry for years and years before he did. As it was with a lot of the Grande Dame’ gays in British theatre and film

6. Jock S. Trap 8 Sep 2011, 10:00am

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. His not getting the work he wants has nothing to do with him being Gay but more not being a good enough actor.

1. I think the question is moot, and I suspect that the cinema is worse than the theatre because of its bigger and less specialist audience.

7. Gays in the acting profession? Well fak me pink and call me Rosie.

8. Rupert Everett’s career suffered because he doesn’t wear deodorant, not because he’s gay!