Video: Manchester Pride sees thousands celebrate their 21st pride

1. The BBC is supposed to be moving to Salford because the South gets proportionately too much attention. But there was no coverage of Pride London, and today’s Manchester Pride seems to be treated in the same way.

1. Forget Prides, the Liverpool Mathew Street Festival attracts 100,000 people every August Bank Holiday. Where is it on the news? Invisible!

2. Jock S. Trap 28 Aug 2011, 8:12am

mmmm, why ain’t I surprised?

2. Off topic. Watching A Night with Will Young on ITV1 – highly recommended. Catch it on ITV1+1

1. Thanks for the tip – great show !

See it on ITV Player at http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=268125

2. Jock S. Trap 28 Aug 2011, 8:11am

Indeed Dave. Was good to see Will on Excellent form.

3. Sort of off topic. They say that gays cause earth quakes and Hurricanes and by saying that they think that gays are gods and have the power of Gods.

1. We are made upon God’s image and poses same power to create and destroy. God sent us here for a reason. Let that reason be love.

1. Gay Daily Mail Reader 28 Aug 2011, 9:50pm

If gays are responsible for earthquakes and hurricanes etc, then why do the worst natural disasters happen in countries where homosexuality is illegal? Major earthquakes do not happen in Manchester, as for San Fransisco, there is the San Andreas fault however . . .

1. Mind you, tornadoes tend to cluster round the US Bible belt.
          The cognative bias they usually employ to explain why god is destroying their churches and livelihoods is nearly always “god is angry cause we weren’t tough enough on the gays”. It can’t simply be that they live in a region with a weather system that attracts tornadoes, or that those other places they disapprove of exist on a geological faultline.

1. Jock S. Trap 30 Aug 2011, 8:34am

But that would require them to think for themselves, Flapjack!

4. Jock S. Trap 28 Aug 2011, 8:11am

Excellent. Another good day out. Another reason to celebrate.

5. Probably the best gallery of photos I have seen from the day…

6. Really wanted to go this year! I was walking through Manchester on Friday evening getting a train and you could feel the great atmosphere in the air! I bet they all had a mint time! :-)

7. Being chosen by the public / panel vote to be Manchester Pride Parade Queen is an honour. Pity on its 21st Birthday Parade day the new Queen Ethol was snubbed by Manchester Pride by not being allowed to lead the gay’s parade as was allowed in previous years, The Queen was commanded to go behind the Manchester city council workers’ entry. The Big Question is WHY?

Previous words from festival manager-

8. Being chosen by the public / panel vote to be Manchester Pride Parade Queen is an honour. Pity on its 21st Birthday Parade day the new Queen Ethol was snubbed by Manchester Pride by not being allowed to lead the gay’s parade as was allowed in previous years, The Queen was commanded to go behind the Manchester city council workers’ entry. The Big Gay Question is WHY?

9. To all you lucky people who were fortunate enough to be at Pride 2011 I really envy you! Last year I was fortunate enough to make it to the UK and experience all the excitement of life in the village and the Pride long week end. Not a minute has gone by this week end but what I have wondered all I have missed! what an opportunity to experience gay life celebrated to the fullest, happy great looking and loved up people it was such an adrenalin rush I came back for Christmas/NY. Makes me proud of my Manchester links, especially when I compare it to my life in a city where there is virtually no gay life or culture and the Mayor was taken to the human rights committee for refusing to deny Pride week just a few years ago. Way to go Manchester you know how to throw a party! enjoy!

1. Typo…. sorry should have said “allow” or “Proclaim” where I typed deny

2. Thanks to all the people who posted links and photo’s of Manchester Pride 2011, between yourselves and Youtube I experienced a little of what I missed and got the spirit of the even!

10. Its not in the media cos no one really cares, and why should they? Plus there are far more urgent things happening currently.
    There is no pride in a lot of homosexuals making fools of themselves, and thats why we are not accepted, if we behaved correctly, shut up and just got on with life ( Cue Jock T Strap whinging) then we would be accepted far more.

Pride parades are not needed anymore, no matter what people say, they are outdates and they are commercial ventures these days making money.

Ive never been to one, and will never go to one, as I am comfortable with who I am and what I am, and I dont have the need to shout about it. if others were the same, acceptance would be higher.

There is no proud in doing pride.

1. Mathew… Until I attended my first Pride event Manchester 2011, I might have conceded to some of your points of view. I now have a very different perspective. Being gay is not exclusive to make a fool of yourself… many straights drunk or sober have no problem doing that.

The gay community brought to the city 2011 many thousands of people who in video’s and audio who clearly were having a great time! Lots of laughs and complements about floats and costumes from people young and old and many families in the crowd not one negative comment made to the kids!Among these maybe kids or families dealing with coming showing they are not alone.

Yes… there are people there who range from out – to outrageous, but there were examples of the many support groups and charities, businesses, police to entertainment participating and who support their gay family friends and employees. Surely this shows a better side of humanity than we saw in the Manchester riots?.

Further in

1. Cont:

For the 18 quid it cost me for a 4 day pass I got the best entertainment value from top notch acts in a secure safe environment with like minded people.

Sure the bars are packed takings would be up maybe it makes up for the slow nights of the year!
        as for being commercial… other than operating cost it without volunteers if you feel revenue generated is commercial check out http://www.manchesterpride.com/community/charityfundraising it might give you a different perspective.

If having fun is not entirely to your liking perhaps the Vigil at the closing might move you! not many dry eyes around or hearts that didn’t ache at that!

If not visible in the community perhaps the acceptance rate of the community or any one gay may not lead to the higher acceptance rate to which you elude.

1. Jock S. Trap 29 Aug 2011, 9:23am

Indeed Steve_R

But not only does the revenue help charities etc as well as helping the future of the event in that area it also bring in people who, in turn, help the local economy. So people bang on about the money it makes but fail to see the benefits of it.

It’s all good and it’s all positive.

2. Jock S. Trap 29 Aug 2011, 8:10am

Pride events are still, sadly, very much needed. We are still unequal and treated as such. That has nothing to do with “homosexuals making fools of themselves”. That has everything to do with bigotted people.

However even if they aren’t needed, you wouldn’t say the same about the Notting Hill Carnival, yet that celebrates black culture. Why shouldn’t we have the right to celebrate LGBTQI culture too. It’s a fun event with a message of acceptance.

Personally I don’t see the problem with it. It brings together a community, it’s families, friends and supporters and is a great day for all who goes. Plus it also brings in revenue for the area.

Just because you choose not to go don’t mean it’s invalid. People can be perfectly happy with themselves and be able to celebrate it, just as many people who aren’t LGBTQI do, too.

And no, I haven’t done many Prides, hope to for London World Pride next year though.

1. Jock S. Trap 29 Aug 2011, 8:16am

Although I haven’t been many times I have been to both Pride events and the Nottinghill Carnival and have thoroughly enjoyed both.

The fact we have the event means we are accepted by most but as I say sadly, there are too many bigotted who wish us harm and more so they are valid. However if making the messages means a lot of people getting together have having fun then so what.

With all the worlds wrongs what is so bad about a large number of people getting together to celebrate and enjoying themselves?

Nothing thats what! I love nothing more than being with people and enjoying my/ourselves.

3. Jock S. Trap 29 Aug 2011, 8:19am

“if we behaved correctly”

That has to be one of the funniest comments I’ve heard for a while.

Being that ‘We’ behave just like everyone else but it’s interesting that you single out.

4. As for me who was unable to attend, I do find a bit of happiness in seeing others happy, and I hope I always will.. :)

1. Jock S. Trap 29 Aug 2011, 2:09pm

Oh me too, Jonpol. Nothing better and with all the misery on the news these days you’d think some happiness was a welcome sight and should be a welcome news addition.

I guess it’s true what they say about misery.

5. “if we behaved correctly, shut up and just got on with life”
      That’s what people used to say in the 1950s when homosexuality was illegal. But it wasn’t legalised by people shutting up, was it?

1. Jock S. Trap 29 Aug 2011, 2:07pm

Exactly, Rehan.

11. dave wainwright 29 Aug 2011, 11:14am

Amazing how the BBC manages to cover the Notting Hill Carnival every year but totally ignores Manchester and London Prides with no mention , HOMOPHOBIA RULES AT THE BBC .

12. Ben Foster 29 Aug 2011, 2:58pm

It seems to bother some people that at Pride carnivals there are people in gaudy costumes acting a bit daft. This supposedly brings down the cause and makes people resent us. But I recently particiapted in our town’s summer carnival with my work. On our float our mainly straight finance department – men who usually wear pinstripe suits and women who wear skirt suits did a comic take on ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ in which the ladies wore tux and the men the glittery dresses. It was a bit of fun. On Monday morning we were all back in suits working, albeit with a grin on our faces and some strange photos pinned up in the coffee room. The gays who dress up wild for Pride are the same. On Monday morning, they’ll be back in their work outfits just like everyone else. So will the people wearing colourful costumes in Notting Hill. It’s a bit off fun, its letting our hair down. Why should any of us be ashamed of doing that?

13. In America, flying the national flag up-side down is a universal sign of distress (of course the Union Jack is the same either way round), but what does it mean when the Rainbow flag is flown up-side down as it is in the photo?

1. It just means the British are not as good at organising events as Americans are.

1. I think it might mean “enemy invaders at 10 o clock!”, just a very wild speculation!

14. Manchester Pride is not a charity, its a commercial Business. I have complained.

I quote a post from a month back:

Manchester Pride’s own accounts on the Charities Commissions website, and Companies House show that they make well over a million pound every year in income.
    Roughly 8% of that is “profit”, of which only half goes to actual charities. The other half has gone in “charitable” donations to the Village Pub & Club Association, Gaydio and such useless activities like that.

The rest of the money is spent on “fundraising trading: cost of goods sold and other costs”. So a staggering 80-90% of the income is spent on Pride itself.

Manchester Pride is NOT a charity in this sense. It is a commercial business which makes a rather feeble 4% charity donation each year.

Given the sheer millions the “Big Weekend” makes for the city, it’s rather dismal that none of the hotels, restaurants or even the bars in the gay village itself donate any money. It’s simply “rape the pink pound”

1. Hodge Podge 29 Aug 2011, 10:53pm

Meh, Manchester Pride is an event that can’t be owned by some company. Pride is OURS, we just have to take it ;-)

2. @ John

Considering the operating cost of Pride and reserves set which are banked for future pride in this case 2012, Manchester pride clearly has to be organized and business like in it’s operation. It’s lucky Manchester pride can operate in the black when so many others operate in the red and either look for hand outs or bail outs or simply just fold because they can’t cut it.

In 2010 I witnessed the vast amount of manpower required to set up/strike the festival facilities and the crews that it took to clean and prep the village for the next days events. not to mention safety barricades placed and removed before the parade. To be honest can only complement pride officials for the job they do covering cost and even if the donations to charity are less than you might be happy with I seriously suggest you check out this link http://www.manchesterpride.com/gallery/2009/financial-overview

1. Further: how do you know no bars or restaurants in the village donate no money? given the different sports teams or dance groups swim teams, mission Malawi, George house trust. I don’t know but I’d speculate that little to your knowledge there “are” sponsorships or donations made by businesses in the village that might be insulted by your claims. Yes there are businesses in the village community, but they didn’t get to be a community by not participating or contributing to the causes of it’s supporters.

3. Jock S. Trap 30 Aug 2011, 8:39am

And how much does the local economy benefit from Pride events?

Maybe it’s not a charity but it does give to charity and it needs to keep itself going.

In all it does do good whether fund raising, local economy or entertainment value.

As long as people want it and go it is worth every penny.

15. Fightback? is PN going to embrace some other stupid soundbites, like big society, traditional familiy, morals and broken britain? Don’t wanna no riots? Don’t elect no Tories!

16. Great that this is on here. But why not similar coverage of UK Black Pride last weekend? What’s the problem with Black Pride?

17. It appears that the Pride festival is actually run by a trading subsidiary. The trading subsidiary itself, not being charitable.

The accounts show that money was received from the trading subsidiary.

So Pride really is a COMMERCIAL Business.

2010 Accounts

Income £1,036,294

Generating voluntary income – Zero

It has more assests then what it ‘spends’ on charity purposes.

Spending £1,037,921

18. Another Hannah 30 Aug 2011, 5:58pm

I have to say pride does seem far too commercial these days for me? What’s the point to advertise Manchester and it’s businesses? I did take part in one Manchester pride, but was “dissappeared” in photographs, not quite sure why. I don’t like the comments about the riot, since I don’t see what pride has to do with the riots, pride isn’t a govt. propaganda exercise. I sympathise greatly with those businesses affected, but I also sympathise with all those given ridiculous sentences, and with the rioters. My sympathy stops at the point they break the law, but up until that point I think it’s pretty disgusting what’s happening to the poor and services in this country, while the wealthy (the pride business leaders) take the disadvantaged for every penny they can, often in the name of charity, and give it to the wealthy.