Pro-gay reggae album world’s first

1. Well done brother…. Hope others will follow.

2. Brave man, and power to him.

3. This man is simply inspirational. To speak up for gay rights in a country where doing such will gain you death threats, requires some guts. If I had a tenth of the courage of this man I’d be a better person. Well done, and thank you Mista Majah P.

1. Well said James L.

4. Agreed. If the story was about Jamaican homophobia there would be 400+ comments. Any thing that dosent reinforce stereotypes or challenge a prejudice is ignored

5. Agreed. If the story was about Jamaican homophobia there would be 400+ comments. Any thing that dosent reinforce stereotypes AND challengeS a prejudice is ignored

1. Eh? What on earth are you going on about James?

1. fak off

2. O dear James
      Nothing new in your world then!!!

1. just you dads ass

1. Staircase2 29 Aug 2011, 4:37am

See you start off with a valid comment then descend into mindless ranting bollocks

When he asked ‘what are you talking about’ you had the opportunity to educate him – and instead you ranted and just fvcked the whole thing up!

Grow up Jamesy! The world needs you!

6. Jock S. Trap 26 Aug 2011, 3:35pm

What an incredible guy.

Mista Majah P – my hat comes off to you and your courage in showing that indeed not all Jamaicans are intolerant in the face of death threats which should those ignorant people up for who they truely are.

It just goes to prove that love goes a long way and a lot further than hate and those infect themselves with it.

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Aug 2011, 3:38pm

Regardless of it I like it or not, I have just purchased this album.

1. too right

show you give a fak about gay jamaicans

2. I agree, what an amazing guy, and about time some one used reggae in a way that turns the table on the usual steorotypes!!!
      Fantastic

7. jonnielondon 26 Aug 2011, 3:44pm

This is awesome! Good on Mr. Majah!

8. Gay Daily Mail Reader 26 Aug 2011, 4:09pm

Music has the power to bring about change – remember the Anti-Apartheid records, Live Aid and other campaigns. Hopefully Mista Majah P will at least encourage debate about homosexuality in Jamaica which is the most homophobic country in the western hemisphere and eventually bring about change. Back in the 1940’s Britain and Germany were dangerous places for gays but 60 years on are now amongst the most tolerant countries in the world

1. Sadly their ex colonies took over the banner thou.

1. Staircase2 29 Aug 2011, 4:43am

Thats the whole point – thats the reason why those places ARE like that: its (largely) English bigotry which has been forced down the local throats over the years which has now left the indelible stain of homophobia. Both in the form of ongoing homophobic laws and most importantly attitudes – ironically especially the one which says that gay men and women don’t exist in the local populations and that being gay is a ‘western’ (‘white man’) disease….

This is clearly a load of complete bollocks but without visibility from the local populations will continue unchallenged.

Gay rights have only changed in the ‘west’ because of increasing visibility and pride of those local gay populations.

The rest of the world will become a more tolerant and respectful place once the local gay people are visible enough for the locals to properly understand who it is they have to be tolerant and respectful OF.

1. Staircase2 29 Aug 2011, 4:44am

I salute Mista Majah P for standing up and being counted. Oppression only disappears when people are brave enough to stand up to it.

And we need both gay and straight people to do that without fear

9. Good for him! What a great thing to do!

10. Mary Flying Eagle 26 Aug 2011, 9:13pm

Many thanks Mista Majah P. In a world where right wing bigotry/hate pops up, many times, cloaked in christian gibberous, You step forward with music,that I am sure will be met with ears hungry to hear, hearts eager, to join in song and dance , celebration.

11. All I can say,.. as an avid fan of reggae i might add… is thankyou. Thankyou for making this album, thankyou for being a shining light. Spreading positive and progressive messages. x

12. If you have spotify you can listen to this album now: http://open.spotify.com/album/50bGC2HNFlTqR5VKyDkqcX

13. Many Blessings
    Cool Brother
    Mista Majah P ;-)
    AUM Shanti

14. Har Davids 28 Aug 2011, 7:29am

I’m not a reggae fan per se, but it’s good to hear that at least one Jamaican (musician) takes on the bigotry in his country, not just for the gays, but for society in general. After all, all I hear about is the violence over there, which makes it unsafe for everybody.

15. Awesome. Rock on, Mista Majah P!

16. Jah supports this initiative !

17. Well done. This guys has contacted me through You tube before and I will be sure to give it a listen.

Truly inspirational!

18. When I was a college freshman, I had a CD of Bob Marley and the Wailers’ “Legend”, just like every other person who ever set foot on a college campus between the birth and death of the compact disc.

Even though Marley’s songs said nothing specific about homosexuality—for or against—I found his music friendly, welcoming, and inspiring. As a closeted young gay man, I took comfort there, and dreamed of a day when I would be free to be myself.

At the time I knew nothing about reggae’s violent dark side. As time went on, my interests drifted away from that sort of music altogether, especially after I learned that Jamaican culture is so marinated in homophobia.

It is quite refreshing to see a departure like this. I don’t know what Bob Marley would think if he were here today. But I like to believe that Mista Majah P’s message is in keeping with Marley’s themes of love, hope, and freedom.

19. Franck from France 25 Aug 2012, 8:55pm

I’m a fan of reggae music since the age of 15, and i’m gay since…?
    I love this music because of his militant beat and all the lyrics encouraging respect and justice, for a better world. It gives me strenght and hope.
    I’d like to thank MISTA MAJAH P for his courage and tell him my gratitude and respect. He’s like a buffalo soldier at the front of the battle. Jah bless him !