Maltese LGBT community faces legal anomaly after discriminatory rule is revoked

1. Jock S. Trap 25 Aug 2011, 11:26am

What an appalling way to treat your own people in their own country. All based on Religion mind, I have to add.

Absoutely shameful. This all boils down to respect. If your willing to make people pay taxes then be respectful and carry on treating them Equally.

2. Stuart Neyton 25 Aug 2011, 11:31am

These legal anomalies exist in many parts of the EU. Another example is this is regarding higher education in scotland. Because tuition fees for EU students must be the same as for locals, someone from any other EU country get free education in scotland, whereas those from england and wales have to pay.

It’s a bizarre mix but mostly a disgrace that the Maltese government can continue to remain in the EU when it treats its LGBT citizens with such contempt.

Non-discrimination and equality laws should be universal is we want this to be a union of equal rights among the member states.

1. Jock S. Trap 25 Aug 2011, 11:36am

I agree. I just hope it’s Scottish taxpayers paying and not an English taxpayer funded scheme to provide it’s own students with free higher education.

1. whymewhyme 25 Aug 2011, 9:21pm

it gets paid from scottish oil revenues

3. Italy does exactly the same as Malta.

Why has the EU continued to turn a blind eye to Italy, a founding member state of the EU ?

If Italy is going to so quickly put their intolerant little mitt out to other EU countries to purchase their bonds ough purchasing their bonds they should be given a clear message that it is time the country started acting like a grown up and play by the EU rules they signed up for.

Italy, Greece and Malta are a disgrace to the EU.

4. Martin Lawrence 25 Aug 2011, 12:43pm

Don’t be so harsh on Malta. I was Anglican Chaplain there for a year in 2000/2001. It is impossible, without having lived in such a place, to overestimate the vice-like grip the Roman Church has on matters of sexual morality, and also how conservative the hierarchy is there.

When you consider how recently Malta joined the EU (2004), and how much progress they have already made, they are moving so fast that, if they keep going at this speed, they’ll overtake the rest of us in a few years. So I say three cheers for them.

As for Italy and Greece, who knows what’s going on there? They certainly don’t.

1. sounds like a work in progress then…

yea, I’ve had occasion to meet a Knight of Malta in full costume…gives reactionary catholicism a new definition.

5. The UK government recognises my domestic partnership from a state in the US as a CP even though the US federal gov’t won’t recognise it, nor will most states. I am a dual UK/US citizen and my partner is US. Luckily our immigration to the UK was easy for him, but if it had been the other way around and we were moving to US (and I wasn’t a citizen of there too) we would be treated as strangers.

6. The EU: Occasionally good for something.

Which puts it above other international groups, I guess.

7. Kim Berlin 25 Aug 2011, 1:38pm

how about we disband the churches … these are the organisations in which hatred is nurtured …

1. Peaceful Change is harder 25 Aug 2011, 5:20pm

Wouldn’t attacking the church be as bad as the church attacking the GLBT community? When the oppressed become the oppressor, we just replicate an unjust system

I think education for kids and living an open and out life, so my neighbors have a model of a gay person that they know, will create lasting change.

If churches are attacked, we only lower ourselves and our principles of acceptance. The church going people, which includes some gay people, will change the church.

I say we embrace the Jesus teaching and love them, inspire if their fear and ignorance. After all, he never said one word against gays.

8. So you can have visa to live there but have no rights as a couple……so no tax benefits , no inheritance benefits.
    etc…there’s more to lving and working in a place as a couple than just getting a visa to live there..that’s not freedom of movement!!. If I moved there with my Australian CP partner and we lost all our inheritance tax benefits on all our worldwide assets we’d probably have a whopping big inheritance tax bill to pay the Maltese govt if one of us were to die there as residents…and so on, what other hosts of benefits would we lose as a couple? It still stinks and as someone pointed out above other EU countries eg France have similar anomolies when it comes to their citizens in SS marriages etc…

9. Sooner or later we will realize that EU is good for human rights and economy if only UK would stop playing “Trojan horse” for American interests undermining euro zone and legislation playing the “British victim ” card. Church is a criminal organisation anyway so let’s not wait for them to help.

10. john, what is also galling in the French situation, their version of a CP does not provide as many of the benefits and rights as a CP, so a British national in a CP would not enjoy identical rights if he or she lived in France with a French national. This only proves the urgency to make marriage equality the norm across the EU, not later, but now.

11. Oh Who Cares 25 Aug 2011, 8:42pm

The EU have done so much for gay rights. Thank God the tories didn’t get their way when they wanted to not be part of it, which they are still trying to do, silently.
    I went to Malta when I was a kid. What a dump, the hotel wasn’t even finished. There were too many churches with too many catholics.

1. Another Hannah 25 Aug 2011, 9:48pm

Malta sounds a right dump. I will remember to avoid it and any other countries I encounter like this.

1. It was a dump yes in the 80’s under a socialist government but not any more.

12. Patrick-C-001 25 Aug 2011, 9:03pm

Malta won’t be the only EU country with this anomaly. Many EU countries don’t recognise same-sex immigration, but will be forced to if the national is from another EU state thanks to this directive.

13. Times Like these I feel so ashamed to be living in this country. I cant wait to get the hell away. People here are so blind sighted by the Church and it’s Rules, when its causing nothing but hatred. Its true that we have come a long way in such a short time, and I believe we are moving in the right direction, but this is taking us back a few steps. Anyways I can’t wait to leave.

14. Maltese Gay Activist Mike Foward 26 Aug 2011, 6:18am

In 2010, the Maltese Prime Minister promised better economic regulation, curbing violent crime, better laws on gender recognition, divorce ban to be repealed, unregistered cohabitation laws for both opposite sex and same sex couples who are not married.

And as usual they never deliver!!!!

15. Maltese Gay Activist Mike Foward 26 Aug 2011, 6:21am

As usual the Catholic Church is big here holding influence and power.

The bishop of Malta also just recently made threats to the Maltese government on proposed abortion law reform.

I am glad and proud that I am gay, athiest, autistic and under 25.