Stonewall chief executive Ben Summerskill nominated for charity award

1. LOL LOL LOL *vomit*

2. Some on is having a laugh!

1. Some one even! lol

1. Or maybe even someone.

3. is this a wind up?

4. Would Laura Doughty please get out of the way and give the rest of us a chance to lick her bosses arse too!

1. Jock S. Trap 18 Aug 2011, 2:42pm

I was feeling sick enough before I saw that comment!

5. Fanny from Amsterdam 18 Aug 2011, 2:39pm

Who nominated him?

1. Jock S. Trap 18 Aug 2011, 2:45pm

Rev Ian Paisley, Michele Bachmann and Brian Souter.

6. Jock S. Trap 18 Aug 2011, 2:41pm

Oh Lordy, I must be loosing it, I though April 1st was months ago.

1. you are loosing it. you need to leave more comments. that bloody homophobe keith is number one user this week!

7. Yes I forgot his great work in opposing Marriage Equality. What a great guy..

1. thanks heavens the lib dems have promised us marriage equality by 2015, God bless them…

8. Tina from Argentina 18 Aug 2011, 2:57pm

I think you’re all being very unkind. He does all that hard work for only 95K a year and the sure and certain hope of elevation to the peerage in due course …

Don’t begrudge the old so and so a bit of mutual … from his fellow chief execs

9. Why would the pathetic homophone Ben Summerskill be nominated for such an award?

He was caught red-handed campaigning against LGBT equality at the LibDem Party conference last year.

Who decides on the nominations and how do we contact the organisers of this even to advise them that a bigot like Summerskill is undeserving of any award.

He should have been sacked as head of Stonewall already.

1. ‘Homophobe’ is what I should have said.

Ben Summerskill is a pathetic homophobe. A truly contemptible individual at the head of a truly contemptible organisation.

10. Points in your favour to be considered for any kind of Third Sector award these days:

a) Be a government crony
    b) Pocket a six-figure salary
    c) Be a member of the Fabian Society or a Common Purpose graduate…

Yawn…

11. Ben Summerskill is truly a disgrace as the leader of an equality charity.

it’s sort of sad and pathetic that an equality charity is led by a person who believes that LGBT people deserve to be treated as 2nd class citizens,

On the bright side, thanks to Summerskill’s homophobia at least no-one takes Stonewall seriously any more.

Which is good, as it’s crystal clear that Stonewall does not represent the LGBT community.

Who they are actually answerable to is shrouded in mystery.

12. Stonewall have done amazing work over the years, I realise there are some bitter old London queens that don’t like Stonewall but they don’t represent ordinary gay people!

1. I thought Stonewall and Summerskill didn’t consult with ordinary gay people nor bitter old london queens …but I’m sure he has private meetings with a few select gay people now and again if he’s in the mood…..Who knows what he does, he’s a bit above most of us , isn’t he?

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 2:36pm

They don’t consult the public only their members.
        They had to ballot their 20,000 members to see if they should back marriage Equality.

1. That was the 1st time they ever consulted their members.

Normally being a member of Stonewall means getting lots of begging letters with no method of influencing their policies.

1. Actually they don’t even have members. They have donors.

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Aug 2011, 10:06am

Ok well, I became a don’tor then!

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 2:35pm

Stonewall have done some excellent work but they will be remembered badly while Ben Summerskill is in charge for not having the guts to stand up for marriage Equality and practially having his hand forced on the issue.
      I mean seriously, what Equality organisation doesn’t think the LGBT community wanted Equality?
      If their whole purpose is working to gain better Equality why would they think they didn’t involve marriage?
      Yes, they have sorted now but that stain will always be there as long as Mr. Summerskill remains.

13. Although Stonewall have done some good work, I’m still not ready to forgive Summerskill for his reluctance to support marriage equality. Their credibility as a champion for equality of gay people was severely undermined by Summerskill’s refusal to acknowledge that gay people must have the same right to marry that is enjoyed by mixed sex couples. In my view they really dropped the ball on that one. Summerskillsends out the message that when it comes to equality, gay people are prepared to settle for a move in the right direction, rather than full equality. That’s the wrong message and panders to the bigots’ bigotry.

14. I think Stonewall has improved a lot recently.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 2:38pm

Their work is always (usually) impressive but they are tarred by Mr Summerskills poor lack of judgement of what Equality is and what it means and as long as he remains, Stonewalls reputation suffers.

15. Stonewall did fail the LGBT community but who is there to fill their place?

16. Does anyone know who Stonewall, and Ben Summerskill are answerable to?

17. And how many people on the board of Stonewall, are under the age of 50?

18. My personal belief is that Ben Summerskill does not deseve an award.

I think he needs to be fired for his stupidity, incompetence and homophobia.

19. Peter Gregory 19 Aug 2011, 4:45am

Arrogant, grabbing, self- centred, self promoting, out of touch. I worked with the guy at the old Pink Papaer.

20. Ben Summerskill is a tragic disgrace as the head of Stonewall.

And the fact that such an incompetent idiot still heads Stonewall, is evidence of the contempt in which Stonewall holds the LGBT community.

21. What’s done is done. It’s time to move on.

1. Indeed it would be nice to move on.

However while the homophobe Summerskill remains as head of Stonewall, it is not possible to move on.

The fact that the country’s largest LGB organisation is chaired by a man who was caught red-handed campaigning against LGBT equality; and who has point blank refused to explain or apologise for his homohobic behaviour; and who point blank refisess to answer reasonable questions regarding who Stonewall is accountable to; means that LGBT people should automatically view Stonewall with suspicion.

While Summerskill remains as the head of Stonewall; then Stonewall quite simply cannot and should not be trusted.

As for this award than Sumemrskill is up for. Seriously has that incompetent homophobe been nominated for it.

He does not deserve an award.

He deserves to be sacked.

1. Can you tell us exactly why he is homophobic? And the circumstances of his “campaigning against LGBT equality”

1. At the Lib Dem Party conference last year there was a motion (which was carried) that official Lib Dem policy should be in favour of marriage equality.

Ben Summerskill who was at the meeting argued against marriage equality claiming that it would cost the taxpayer 3 billion pouinds (which is a figure that he pulled out of the air as he was unable to clariy these absurd figure).

Up until that point Stonewall had always said ‘We don’t have an opinion on marriage equality’ (very strange for an alleged equality organisation).

It was only when Summerskill was caught engaging in his homophobic campaign that Stonewall was forced to change its policy.

Although the fact that Summerskill remains in his position proves that Stonewall does not take his homophobia seriously.

(There is no doubt that Summerskill is a homophobe – anyone who believes that a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen be denied access to a civil contract simply because they are gay, is most certainly a homophobe.

22. “It recognises the real progress Ben and Stonewall have achieved in terms of equality for lesbian, gay and bisexual people..”

Trans? Not so much.

1. There’s no ‘T’ in Sonewall.

23. Peter Gregory 19 Aug 2011, 4:38pm

I worked under Summerskill at old Pink Paper. I was on 2 police committees. The police drove a car at speed at gays on Holland Park Walk. Summerskill was there, having sex and told me so. I asked him to make a statement- a complaint against the police misconduct. He refused. The others present DID complain, and the police were found to be out of area and “reckless” They received “words of advice”. It’s all on record.
    Look at the hyprocrite Summerskill. Sucking guys off (her told me) but NOT prepared to come forwards. He also told me that he cruised the canal at Kings Cross where 2 guys got murdered. It’s true. I’m Peter Gregory, who worked at Pink Paper when he was editor. I sat on the C & D division police committees and occasionally filled in on the Kensington and Chelsea ones, and the Scotland Yard Liaison Committee- I was the press officer.
    He can sue me and I’ll repeat the FACTS under oath. I have three witnesses.