Florida teacher suspended for Facebook anti-gay remarks

1. Speed up Pink News.

This story has been on Towleroad website for almost a day already.

If you insist on plagiarising other websites then at least be fast so people might believe the stories are original.

1. well stated -

2. I thought Towleroad was a sauna.

3. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:31am

So what, some people don’t go to other sites, they may just come here so it’s no more or less irrelvent. So long as it’s months out of date I don’t see how it’s important about timing as the item being reported.

1. Yes, I really don’t see the problem. Most news is syndicated these days and as Jock rightly says, there are some of us who use Pink News as our main portal for gay news.

4. David Myers 20 Aug 2011, 9:19am

How about just admiting that such items are based on another posting and give credit and a link to those sources. If people want to get more details they can, if they want to regard Pink News as sometimes being a clipping service and use it as such, why not? Just give credit where its due and continue keeping us up to date. That seems obvious to me.

2. “I’ve had kids that I’ve known that have been homosexuals. They know that I don’t hate them. I love them.”

Right. He doesn’t “hate” homosexuality (gay marriage and all that implies), but the act is a “sin” that “makes [him] want to throw up”. The overt hypocrisy of fundamentalist Christians never fails to astound. If this *doesn’t* constitute hate speech in his eyes, I’d hate to know what does.

1. Paddyswurds 18 Aug 2011, 4:18pm

@Paolo..
      …just wait a few days or so and he will be caught paying for gay sex or taking rent boys on Holiday to “carry his bag”.

1. Commander Thor 18 Aug 2011, 8:23pm

“Lift his luggage” is the correct euphemism these days.

1. David Myers 20 Aug 2011, 9:21am

LOL That’s great. I hadn’t hear that euphemism yet. Thanks

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:33am

Indeed – if people know you love them why the need to saying anything that includes the word ‘hate’?
      It just looks like the man is trying to justify his own actions.

3. It is still lawful to hate what you want. What is unlawful is incitingto hatred of certain groups and that incitement must encourage violence.
      The bible says ‘hate what is bad’ (Psalm 97:10). Thsi compels a hatred of homosexual practivces and fornication amongst other acts deemed as ‘bad’ in the bible. This compulsion over-rides politiocal correctness or prevailing morality which is changeable and differs from land to land. This is why true believers can never be disloyal to their morality and to try is futile.

1. David Myers 20 Aug 2011, 9:25am

Do you eat pork, mix foods or fibers that are forbidden to be put together, or any of the other myriads of rediculous prohibitions in the BIble, or do you and the haters just pick and choose, from the Bible, that which supports your own biasis and hatreds? (Rhetorical question).

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Aug 2011, 10:00am

They don’t follow the Bible, just their own agenda out of it and change to suit so in fact it’s nothing to do with the Bible, just their own warped ideas.

2. I am not attached to any religion neither am I a jew so I may eat pork…curious question though!!!!
          Psalm 97:10 says hate what is bad. The bible clearly states that homosexual acts and fornication are bad.

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Aug 2011, 10:16am

And yet it’s ALL you seem to think about.

2. is killing Bablyonian babies good or bad, Keith (talked up a lot in psalm 137)?
            Why not own up to your own moral prejudices and stop claiming spurious supernatural infallibilty for them? The mish-mash of writings you call your ‘Bible’ are as historically contingent as anything else. Fascinating in may ways, but that’s it. End of. Get a bloody life.

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Aug 2011, 9:50am

And yet ALL you do is hate and incite hatred.
        Trouble is I love like most people. Which is better? Thats right those that love.
        You are so fvcking boring going on and on about the same fvcking thing.
        Hi, I’m Gay, get fvcking over it. If you can’t stop thinking about what I, not you, I, do in bed then that really is your problem, pervert.
        Rest assured it isn’t something anybody here is thinking about you. Probably what’ll always make us better people than you will Ever be.
        FYI – your not a ‘true believer’. Your someone who hates for the sake of it. If you were a true believer you wouldn’t be here harrassing us, you’d be focusing on your own miserable life. Or is that what your really scared of? Your own pityful existence?

3. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for cutting down on homophobic bullying, but I’m starting to see a problem with this. The man made comments on his Facebook in his own home. While the exact remarks were not provided by the article, it seems it didn’t say anything to prove he was a threat or harmful toward his students. Hell, his comments were directed at the institution of marriage. That deserves a suspension? Is that really the kind of message we want to send out? “Agree with us or lose your job”? I just think suspending someone for a severely negative opinion of the “institution” of marriage is not only overkill, but a serious violation of the first amendment.

1. And would you still think that if he’d made a comment about ‘throwing up’ regarding an interracial marriage? He’s a teacher – he’s supposed to treat all his students equally not look down on some of them or struggle not to retch.

1. You can’t punish someone merely for not liking us only when they act on that prejudice.

1. He did act on it, he published his unprofessional views online for all to see, that could reflect on the school.

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:39am

No, Hamish thats true but this man must know that with his job comes responsibilty and it completely naive to think that if you put such a remark on your Facebook page people and pupils won’t see it.
          It’s one thing to have private beliefs but completely another if that belief damages others esp young children and young adults at their most vunerable time of life.
          He may not feel that he can say anything about the LGBT being acceptable but that doesn’t entitle him to say it is bad either. Esp with the care and responsibility he has as a teacher. He should be there to teach and guide not to be dismissive and discriminating.
          It’s simple if you don’t want the responsibility, don’t be a teacher.

2. I’ve got to say I kinda agree it was his facebook I assume he’s not added to his students so it doesn’t effect his job. We can’t expect people to like Marriage Equality they just can’t stop us doing it anymore.

1. It was the way he expressed his opinion that worried me really.

3. It was because of a policy previously implemented at the school. It’s about unprofessional behaviour.

1. No doubt resulting from the large number of suicides of gay students in the USA because of homophobic bullying.

2. Fair does if its an already standing policy he should have known better but I have a feeling the homophobes will use this against us.

1. Well you can’t expect them to act rationally, so why worry about them.

3. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:41am

Have to agree it ws completely unprofessional behaviour and he should have known that when he trained and became a teacher.

4. It may have been on his Facebook, but it was obviously public enough for someone to see it and report him. What if one of his gay pupils saw it? Being gay at school is tough enough without having to worry about being discriminated against by teachers whose view of gay people makes them “want to throw up”. Teachers are in a position of trust and care. Expressing their bigotry in public is not acceptable.

1. Absolutely – well said.

1. Whether you agree with it or not, when you become a teacher you agree to a certain standard of behaviour that reaches beyond the classroom. In the UK you have to agree to a code of conduct that says you will ‘demonstrate respect for diversity and promote equality.’ When I was in teacher training it was made very clear that this meant in my own personal life as well as in school. You are of course entilted to your own opinions but another thing to voice those opinions in public. You are an ambassador for your school and it is unprofessional to voice bigoted opinions in public.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:46am

Excellent comment Sandi. It shows how important being a teacher is and indeed the responsibility and life that comes with it.
            Surely a profession to be proud of being who you teach at such an important time of development.
            What makes this teacher think he has the right to change that?
            Lets hope he learns something but I personally would question if I wanted my son taught by that person again in light of this.

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:42am

Agreed David G. Well put.

5. David Myers 20 Aug 2011, 9:27am

Does any of his students or the school’s students have access to his Facebook page? That is highly relevent to this issue.

4. ooer missus 18 Aug 2011, 4:40pm

It’s ironic of PN to post this article while allowing sick homophobes to rant and rave on this site, when it should be a safe and supportive zone for gay people to discuss issues amongst themselves.

1. I think its more a news site rather than a safe supportive group. There are plenty of those advertised in the listings in the gay press if that’s what you’re after.

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:49am

Indeed.
      I come here to debate with opposing views and yes sometimes some discriminating views but the constant allowance of such homophobic people when we have to fight that in life is confusing and hardly helpful, in particular to anybody struggling with themselves.
      I don’t mind, to a point hearing their objections but to continuously allow it to go on unchallenged by PinkNews borders on accepting abuse.
      Like we don’t have enough of that as it is.

1. David Myers 20 Aug 2011, 9:28am

I totally agree with you Jock.

3. Any medium whereby the poster is anonymous and uese text to communicate is safe, except where the feckless poster may foolishly volunteer their own personal details. I have felt nothing but safe on here and I commend PN for this safe place where I and others can post unmolested.
      Finally, you will find a report button whon all posts , which can be used if you feel a post breaks the rules or threatens your personal safety, as you have felt apparently!

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Aug 2011, 10:03am

No, you only comment here because you think the LGBTQI is an easy target for you to relieve your hatred.

5. auntie babs 18 Aug 2011, 4:43pm

Speaking to the Orlando Sentinel, he said: “It wasn’t out of hatred. It was about the way I interpret things.”

He added: “I’ve had kids that I’ve known that have been homosexuals.They know that I don’t hate them. I love them.”

yeah, right down to havind cutsie nick-names for each other I should imagine , they call him Jez and he calls them the spawn of Bathsheba.

1. lol

2. Dr Robin Guthrie 18 Aug 2011, 4:48pm

“It wasn’t out of hatred. It was about the way I interpret things.”

This guy is a teacher and he cannot see the paradox in that statement.

1. His two sentences are a total non sequitur.

6. What a pisspoor role example he might be for any gay students in his class and school. And it’s become really nauseus lately to see how many homophobes have “gay friends” yet throw up in the mouth at the thought of their so-called friends living their life. What a joke. Suspension completely justified.

Good job for suspending this farce, school board. Let’s see more following their example.

1. Mumbo Jumbo 18 Aug 2011, 10:19pm

What a pisspoor example he is to straight students also.

1. Yeah, that’s true too. Makes my blood boil..

7. Can’t understand what wrong did he say! Seems to be allright!!

8. I retch everytime I hear one of these right wing christo fascists rant and spew their venom all in the name of religion, casting the first stone. Hypocrites! Why is it that America seems to be a breeding ground for this scum, more than most other western countries? There’s a never unending supply of them, in and out of politics.

9. I was a public school teacher years ago and if any school employee publically berated people on the basis of race, sex or nationality, he or she would have been sacked. LGBT-hate speech has to be banned on the same basis, or there can be NO punishment on the basis of public speech.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:54am

Indeed. Teachers are their to lead by example in schools and out of it.

10. Reason number 5472090 to bloody hate christians. They just cannot help themselves, can they? Standard cherry-picking cafeteria christianity – slide your tray down the scriptures and pick out the bits that re-inforce your own bigotry.

1. Not all christians are like that. A lot are sure but from my experience the average Joe Christian in the pews aren’t. Its unfair to tar them all with the same brush. Just like all gays aren’t promiscuous!

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:56am

True. This isn’t all Christians and to be honest bad Christians sell papers/news so they seem to be heard more than the ones that don’t agree with their extremer partners.

11. Gay Daily Mail Reader 18 Aug 2011, 10:33pm

He was to publish such comments on Facebook but under the First Ammendment of the US Constitution he his entitled to his opinions and free speech. As long as his homophobia is kept outside work there should be no reason why he should lose his job. Not only will it affect him but also any family he may have and it will play into the hands of other anti-gay bigots.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:58am

Think you’ll find that teachers have a responibility on how they behave and what they say both in and out of the job.

12. People who are gay deserve all the support and treatment they can get because they are severely mentally ill. While extending this compassion it is ludicrous to extend marriage rights to a group who have a serious mental disorder. Maybe some psychotherapy or shck treatment would be more beneficial?

1. Religion is a mental illness, sexual orientation is not. You can choose your religion, not your orientation. As straight christians have the right of marriage depsite their serious mental disorder, why should anyone else be denied this, despite what you think of their mental health issues?

1. There has been cases where people have messed around in someone’s brain and bam they’ve turned religious.

Proof if ever there was any that being religion is a form of brain damage.

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:59am

Oh dear, how sad. Must be rotten to be without any education.

3. @Vicitm
      O Dear, you appear to be many decades out of date.
      What you appear to be talking about I suspect, is a projection of your own warped and rather perverse fantasies,
      No informed or respectable Health professional would view LGBT people as mentally ill or prescribe ECT.
      You know that, the fact that you say this is very telling about you own mental state and emotional life,

13. friday jones 18 Aug 2011, 11:52pm

He LOVES them “homosexual” kids, it’s just that they make him sick with their cesspool of sin and all. That makes him saintly I bet!

14. Sandi Blue 19 Aug 2011, 6:36am

Be ashamed that u play a part in gay youth suicide with your hateful remarks

15. Jock S. Trap 19 Aug 2011, 11:23am

Difficult one this.
    On one hand he is entitled to his beliefs but on the other he has a responsibilty to maintain esp for the younger members of our society.
    To have this on such a public arena while he is supposed to be a teacher, who is supposed to be their to teach and protect his pupils I have to say that he was setting a bad precedent.
    Esp in light of the tragic suicide cases because of these attitude it seems lessons are not being learned.
    Yes he may be entitled to his beliefs but he also has a duty of care and responsiblity to his pupils and indeed all youngsters regardless of if they are in his care or not.
    Maybe if these people took more responsibilty on how others see then the world wouldn’t be in such a mess.

16. Florida is a state of hate and Christian red necks.

17. Strange, I always ‘throw up’ when I know someone is a Republican!

1. David Myers 20 Aug 2011, 9:33am

Me too, and I used to live amongst them, being originally from Iowa in the heart of the bible belt before moving to Canada because of the Viet Nam war. I’m now a dual Canadian/US citizen.