Bishop Gene Robinson: God celebrates gay people

1. Very best wishes to Gene Robinson on his retirement. He’s done a lot of good.

2. But ‘god’ does not exist.

1. Possibly, but we don’t know for sure.

1. Weird question. But do you play the harp?

2. Paddyswurds 17 Aug 2011, 8:18pm

@Doreen..
        … those of us with a brain know for sure,”god”does not exist anymore than there is a giant pink teapot on the dark side of the moon…….

1. @Paddyswurds
          A gaint pink teapot on the dark side of the moon, sounds rather appealing
          lol
          Very Larrson, Very Far Side

1. Actually it’s Bertrand Russell

2. We know God does not exist as much as we know that fairies don’t exist… that’s good enough for me.
      The total absence of evidence is evidence in itself, when you actually have some evidence we can think about reviewing the situation…K?.

1. But if everyone believed in fairies, then they would.

1. D’ya think so? maybe then it would just be that everyone believed in fairies but they still didn’t exist.

1. You never read Peter Pan?

3. burningworm 19 Aug 2011, 10:47am

Its not such a leap for people to believe in something that created what we see. You didn’t give birth to yourself.

Allow people to believe what they believe. Proof is a subjective word.

I am (is a powerful phrase)

3. George Broadhead 17 Aug 2011, 5:50pm

Like so many other Christians, Robinson seems to have a hot line to the deity.

He also declares: “There’s no doubt in my mind that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people are part of God’s obvious delight in diversity. We see it all throughout creation, why wouldn’t we have it in humankind?”

So has Robinson come out as a Creationist and aligned himself with the many other crackpot US Christians who deny Evolution?

1. I don’t know, but you are taking his use of the word creation out of context. Why can’t you just be nice to someone who is on our side, and has risked life and limb to be openly gay in his chosen profession?

2. Why show such vulgar disregard for the words he actually used? He didn’t say anything about “creationism” because he isn’t a “creationist” in any meaningful sense of the word. No Anglican is. No progressive Christian is.

He said “we see it all throughout creation”… meaning it’s in nature, it’s around us. Are you SO incapable of reading that you have this obsessive need to attack a fellow gay person AND an ally?

If I follow suit, then going by your statement “crackpot US Christians who deny evolution”, am I to understand that you are one of those Crackpot Americans who deny evolution?

As the kids say: L2R

3. Paddyswurds 17 Aug 2011, 8:21pm

What astounds me is that those who believe in an almighty deity are also arragant enough to believe that they know it’s mind……

1. I know!!!
        Messiah Complex, or what!
        So to speak

2. Paddyswurds 18 Aug 2011, 12:18am

oops
        arrogant **, Obv.

4. Dr Herbert Shellface 17 Aug 2011, 6:08pm

“He had maps to our house, pictures of us and a sawn-off shotgun.”

I have the uneasy feeling this may have been Keith.

1. Innit!

5. If there is a god, it’s logical he has no problem with people or animals being gay. And there have been gay bishops and cardinals as long as there has been a Church, it’s just that some cultures and centuries have been more open about it than others.

1. Does God have to be a “He”?

1. and does the devil have to be a He? :)

2. Does god have to be human.

‘God’ might be an omnipotent broccoli.

6. Pity he wasn’t the archbishop of Canterbury instead of that ignoramous Rowan Williams.

1. Rowan Williams may be weak and unprincipled on the issue of accepting gay priests and bishops, but he is no ignoramus, as any attempt to understand his writings will show.

1. He believes that n all powerful sky-fairy invented the world in 6 days.

He sounds like an ignoramus to me.

1. I doubt he does believe that.

7. The Lord God is very real and does exist whether you @David believe it or not. Bishop Robinson has a lovely face that almost shines with love and beautiful calm eyes. A man of God indeed. It will be a very sad day when he retires, a great man who has stood up for the LGBT Communty and the right for gays to become priests, against gay haters and ignorance. I like him.

1. Paddyswurds 17 Aug 2011, 8:26pm

@Wildseas..
      ..”right for gays to” What exactly is “a gay”?
      Could you tell us how you know so certainly that the sky fairy exists? In your sad head maybe but nowhere else.

1. Rashid Karapiet 18 Aug 2011, 4:45pm

Language usage is peculiar. Using an adjective ‘gay’ as a noun ‘ Gays are ===’
        is a feature of modern English usage under the baleful influence of unthinking journalism. ‘Homophobia’ and its derivatives is another example which sets my teeth on edge. ‘Queer-‘ or ‘Gay-hating’ gives a truer flavour of an ugly fact of life. Once again I pose the question: Do arachnophobes murder spiders?

1. Rashid Karapiet 18 Aug 2011, 4:50pm

…Or even antihomosexual – though it seems some of our American friends, for reasons only they can describe, don’t like the word ‘homosexual’.

2. Thank you for your questions however I think that you are old enough to find out the answer for yourself. If you are 10 or 12 years old I would answer. Your description of my head is of course quite right. I am a gay Christian and i fight as much as I can for our gay righrts. If you choose to ignor or sneer at the efforts of people who are dedicated to making life and the world a better place us gays (and I can only presume that you are gay) then you have my sympathies for being a sad and unhappy man and I hope and pray tht your life improves.
        I have done you no wrong, so I do not understand why as a gay man, you are so venimous towards me.

1. Paddyswurds 19 Aug 2011, 12:04am

@Wildseas..
          …you call gay people “the Gays” and then have the cheek to call me venimous, sad and unhappy. think the opposite of those words and you have an inkling of me.You say you done me no wrong but think it is ok to refer to gay people as gays or the gays. Do you refer to hetros as the hetros. No i didn’t think you did. My question was to you specifically as it was you who said “the right for gays etc” You are clearly a rightwing xtian bigot and I for one o not nor have I asked for you “prayers”.

2. Dr Robin Guthrie 17 Aug 2011, 9:16pm

“The Lord God is very real and does exist”

Evidence please………….

1. Empirical evidence ?

2. If you don’t know now then you will never know. Try finding out for yourself because anything I tell you, you will merely scorn and laugh at.
        Try not to be so sad and bitter, because Fundamentalists have distorted and misunderstood the truth. I am sure you are a nice person.

1. Paddyswurds 19 Aug 2011, 12:09am

@wildseas..
          ..are you pepa, rich the origonal, keith or David skinner in disguise. You sound and smell very like all four. A deluded xtian rightwing homophobic bigot who has no place on these threads.

3. Thanks for speaking so well of Gene Robinson, Wildseas.

Desmond Tutu is another exceptional man who has stood by the LGBT Community.

1. Paddyswurds 18 Aug 2011, 12:24am

Unfortunatly I find the support of the seriously deluded and believers in sky fairies extremely creepy and somewhat irellevant. It’s like getting ones valuable old master assessed by a forger if you see what I mean.

1. Unfortunate analogy, Paddyswurds! Top-class forgers can be outstandingly knowledgeable about old masters, that’s why they can replicate them and sometimes fool even world-class experts.

1. Paddyswurds 18 Aug 2011, 7:35pm

@Rehan..
            …perhaps you could proffer an alternative then?

2. Paddyswurds 19 Aug 2011, 12:11am

@Rehan..
            …….i did struggle to put in words what I meant and that was the best i could come up with and i hope y’all get what I meant.

4. Hye! I’m Pagan and I like this man. He has done a lot for GLBT rights within the Episcopal Church.

8. We need more gay religious leaders to lead the gays to freedom. Like the blacks had Martin Luther King to lead them to freedom in their Civil Rights movement.
    The Christians think that gay Christians
    do not exist or they want them to not exist. We need to change that and get the gay religious leaders out of the closet and in to the streets showing their support for all gays, LGBT people everywhere. Don’t you see the Christians want to push the gay Christians back into the closet along with all gays, don’t let them do that. They can not stand to know that there are gay Christians, many gay Christians and they all need to work together to help free gays and and get all LGBT people their Civil Rights, everywhere.

1. We need less religious leaders.

Religion is a cancerously negative influence on every society where it exists.

I am disappointed that Pink News is giving a platform to a well meaning but clearly deluded individual like Gene Robinson.

He is an edcuated man. So I can only assume his belief in ‘god’ is irrational.

1. Paddyswurds 19 Aug 2011, 12:15am

@Joe..
        …yea, ask us, the Irish, about Christian leaders who bullied and browbeat the devout populace for centuries until they were found out to be sadistic paedophiles who abused and vilified our children of Ireland under our noses for centuries.

9. Jock S. Trap 18 Aug 2011, 8:25am

It’s always a delight hearing from Gene Robinson an inspriation to many and although I have personally don’t accept religion I do appreciate that it is people like Gene that can change opinion of those he serves and those in the wider community.

What does speak so very loud is clearly Gene has the true definition of what religion is about and the fact that the first two years were ‘full of death threats’ shows religious extremists for what they truely are.

Here we have commitment and love and all those hateful people can do it threaten love just plain and simply because they don’t agree with it. Killing fine though, love isn’t.

And all those hateful people call themselves Christians… I am not convinced and they do religion no favours because it is those hateful bigots that get seen and reported.

Good on Gene as I say though an inspiration to many and definitely a person to take forward those who choose to believe their religion.

1. Rashid Karapiet 20 Aug 2011, 10:12am

Anything said by ‘Jock S. Trap’ cannot be taken seriously. It’s a pseudonym of mind-blowing stupidity. What is this person afraid of?

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Aug 2011, 4:01pm

Yeah, I don’t think it’s me thats afraid dear!!

You on the other hand, clearly have nothing to say and I’m guessing have to change your ‘name’ to make your points about my nickname.

Least I’m consistant. What are you afraid of?

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Aug 2011, 4:03pm

It’s not rocket science to see that if you don’t like, don’t respond but hey, you are.

10. I’m atheist and think that all religions are preposterous nonsense. But the loss of Gene Robinson is a shame as he was a moderate voice in an increasingly extremist world.

11. Religion – fairy tales. No thanks!

12. Religion is a force for terrible evil in this world.

‘Moderates’ like Gene Robinson simply serve to hide the true hideous face of religion.

Religion is all about hatred; oppression, superstition and division.

Hopefully now that he is retired Robinson can seek help for his delusions.

1. Have you taken your happy pill this morning?

1. I don’t take pills Doreen.

You do accept Doreen that religion is a force for terrible evil in this world, don’t you?

And that people who choose to believe in ‘god’ are generally the most intolerant, hateful bigots to blight our society (and that even ‘moderate’ religious people are complicit in this bigotry by their refusal to condemn the more lunatic followers).

The decision to believe in ‘god’ (despite a complete lack of evidence for its existence) should deserve pity.

Except for the fact that religion and its followers seem determined to undermine democracy and human rights at every turn.

Gene Robinson has my pity.

1. Only a short-sighted, bad tempered old fogey would speak ill of their allies, particularly a brave one like this that has not only stood up to the bigots, but survived death threats from them.

1. George Broadhead 18 Aug 2011, 5:46pm

“Only a short-sighted, bad tempered old fogey would speak ill of their allies…”

Aren’t you being a trifle ageist? I am short-sighted, sometimes bad-tempered and 78.

2. George, I was not using the terms in a literalist fashion! But you don’t say whether you speak ill of your allies, so I don’t know if it’s inappropriate! ;)

2. Paddyswurds 19 Aug 2011, 12:20am

@Doreen..
        …anyone who truly believes that religious fantasists are the allies of gay people are even more deluded than one previously thought. Do wake up and smell the coffee as our American cousins are wont to say.

13. Does Gene Robinson condemn ‘God’s decision to murder the 1st born child of every Egyptian.

Or does he support this maniacally, murderous decision by his ‘god’.

Or does he acceot that the bible is merely a storybook that cannot and should not be taken any more seriously than the book of fairytales that it clearly is?

1. Most Christians don’t take the whole Bible literally, especially the Old Testament.

1. George Broadhead 18 Aug 2011, 5:49pm

That’s right. They cherry pick.

1. Possibly, but it’s to do with recognising that it was written at a certain time in history when there were certain social mores and inaccurate beliefs about the world, and taking into account the growth in scientific and human understanding that has taken place through the last 5000 years, and interpreting it in the light of that; this occurs in all religions, and some have even formalised the process.

1. George Broadhead 18 Aug 2011, 6:47pm

But isn’t it very risky to base one’s ethical values entirely on a 2,000-year-old book especially when so many take its texts quite literally?

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Aug 2011, 4:04pm

Plus Bible has been rewritten anyway. It’s no longer credible or relevent.

14. I would like to see monotheism in particular and religion in general thrown into the dustbin of history, but I really admire this guy.

1. George Broadhead 18 Aug 2011, 5:52pm

The trouble with this is that, whilst gay himself and therefore gay-friendly, he is promoting the religion you abhor.

1. So what? His and many other people’s understanding of his religion is not homophobic, and it inspires him to help us, so why should we object?

1. George Broadhead 18 Aug 2011, 6:52pm

Well, whether homophobic or not, some of of the PN comments make it clear that the writers find it not only nonsensical but dangerously so.

1. Perhaps, George, but people like this guy can make it less dangerous and nonsensical, which, while so many people are addicted to supernaturalism, is a good thing. Lots of lgbt people suffer horribly in religious groups and it surely is important to make life better for them. It won’t do to tell them just to leave – they have as much emotional investment in their beliefs as anyone.

15. Paddyswurds 19 Aug 2011, 9:23am

“I want to have a hand in helping the unchurched and the dechurched find their way back to God.”
    For me those words send shivers of dread down my spine as I read them as helping people become bigots and homophobes.
    In my experience those who rejoin or become members of the Abrahamic fantasy cults later in their lives, (as opposed to those who have remained from childhood) the “saved or reborn”, are usually the most bigoted and homophobic and rabidly so.

16. Best wishes to Bp. Gene Robinson upon his retirement and many more years to enjoy it.