Men seek damages for ‘gay slur’ on California theme park photo

1. Not sure how they can win as they have no evidence and didn’t witness the offence first hand. The only witness is a friends so is immediately that is ruled out.

I think there probably was a slur put on the photo as these things tend to happen sadly. But without real proof they don’t really have a case.

1. Erica Cart-Horse QC 10 Aug 2011, 12:41pm

They do have proof. That is what witnesses are, so long as they are credible.

1. It isn’t a credible witness tho. It’s a friend so is bias.

Thus anything they say has to be inadmissible as evidence.

1. Erica Cart-Horse QC 11 Aug 2011, 12:27am

There are more friends than one, and their honesty will be assessed by the judge, along with those of the opposing side.

2. David Myers 11 Aug 2011, 2:27am

You know nothing about law, so just quit shooting your mouth off as though you did.

1. SteveDenver 16 Aug 2011, 3:11am

3. Staircase2 11 Aug 2011, 5:44pm

Just because someone is a friend of someone doesn’t mean they cant act as a witness to something…
          Why on earth would you think that?

2. Jock S. Trap 10 Aug 2011, 11:47am

This is disgraceful.
    Theme parks are for fun for all not to make fun of because of sexuality.
    I hope this couple win their case as this behaviour is unacceptable.

3. This is a ridiculous lawsuit.
    Then again the US is outrageously litigious.
    Agreed the actions of the park employees was mean and childish.
    But if they seriously think they deserve more than a refund of their entrance fee (and about $100 in compensation) then they are deluded.

1. Its not mean and childish it could be the final straw for someone. Maybe after many year of this abuse it could oush someone to suicide. If it was a black couple with were monkeys would that be ok?

1. Read the story again.

They’re on the make.

They are in the US – the world capital of the trivial lawsuit.

Have YOU been injured at work. Call 0800 -CASHCASH NOW.

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Aug 2011, 12:51pm

SO what, if it makes people think twice about mocking people just because their partner happens to be same sex then so be it.

2. Nothing say I’M AN IDIOT like caps

go and fook youself

2. Jock S. Trap 10 Aug 2011, 12:50pm

This isn’t about compensation, it’s about to Right to be able to be out with your partner without being mocked for it.
      If suing makes people think twice about doing it then so be it.

3. I’m sorry this was a total disgrace. What sort of message does this kind of thing send out to other people including children! This is the sort of thing that MUST be stamped out!

But it is most deffinately not a ridiculous lawsuit! This action by the employees was homophobic not matgter how you look at it and if those like these two gentleman do nothing then others will think it’s ok to do this when it is most deffinately not!

4. Of course this won’t actually go to trial.

the theme park will settle with them. They’ll get given a dirty envelop stuffed with banknotes. Which would seem to be their motivation anyway.

I mean really? This incident happened 3 years ago. Are they still so distraught?

1. bobbleobble 10 Aug 2011, 11:58am

The article seems to suggest that although it happened a while ago, they were trying to sort things out directly through the park and then the park stopped cooperating.

Although I’m sure that there is a monetary motivation, if this hadn’t happened in the first place then they’d have no cause to sue. I think it’s important that people stand up to this kind of treatment because it isn’t acceptable.

1. Well seeing as we don’t know HOW they were trying to sort it out with the park (were they simply asking the park to take the picture down and refund them their ticket price; or were they demanding cash) then that’s sort of irrelevant.

The park behaved badly. But if this couple are so overwhelmingly upset by a minor incident 3 years ago, then they will have a tough life. Sh!T happens sometimes.

1. It’s not a minor incident for them. Don’t be so obtuse.

1. Perhaps not.

But don’t try to claim that in the grand scheme of things, that this is anything other than trivial.

Their motivation is cash. Unless they are living in a bubble, where mean things never happen.

2. SteveDenver 16 Aug 2011, 3:14am

True, and it takes time to work things out and get to a point where a lawsuit is the only way to be heard.

David: don’t trivialize other people’s situations. You come across like a know-it-all, “in the grand scheme of things.”

2. Davis let me guess your mates call you poof all the time and it’s just banter. When your balls drop you’ll relalise they’re not your mates

1. I’ve been called poof (not by my friends ever though).

If I tried to sue the person, I think my gay friends would try to have me committed.)

They want an envelope full of dirty cash. It doesn’t take Jessica Fletcher to figure that out.

2. I get it they should accept it and do nothing. Fair enough you’re entitled to your opinion but I think you’re a cnut

3. David Myers 11 Aug 2011, 2:30am

Agreed, James.

3. bobbleobble 10 Aug 2011, 2:33pm

It’s not irrelevant at all, you said they waited 3 years, I was pointing out that they hadn’t waited 3 years, this lawsuit is a result of the park failing to cooperate with them. I have no idea what they were asking from the park but it’s wrong to say that is irrelevant.

And the park behaved badly, shouldn’t there be some comeback against them? Should they be allowed to get away with it so that more people in future can be humiliated?

4. Staircase2 11 Aug 2011, 5:48pm

You’re not very bright are you…

1. Staircase2 11 Aug 2011, 5:49pm

That was at David

5. I think they should hire Jessica Fletcher to investigate (that way they can link the inevitable murder that happens whenever Jessica surfaces, to the horrendous crime of having their photo used.)

They will make MILLIONS!

1. David Myers 11 Aug 2011, 2:31am

You’re just a troll – its obvious.

6. I applaud anyone who is willing to suffer the rumors, inuendo, and all out attack to make the experience of simply going out to a park for fun just that. While it may seem trivial, it isn’t. People, all people, should be able to just go out, have a good time, and go home with a memory of a good day. Finding yourself ridiculed and degraded, not by some random person that happened to be there, but someone hired to help you have that good experience, is the definition of adding insult to injury. Attempting to handle the matter without going to court, which is what it sounds like they tried to do, shows they were being resonable. And it is important to note, since comments indicate a lack of context, these are the kind of people that the LGBT community owe for the few freedoms we have achieved. In issues like this, when engaging a company over an issue, you have to hit where their hearts, minds, and memories are. Their wallet.

1. bearshaped 7 Sep 2011, 11:01am

well said Joseph.

7. I fully support them! I don’t know much about the legal system in this country, never mind the USA, but, I do know that this sort of lawsuit is the only option open to you because it is not a ‘crime’ as such and the police wont get involved. If it had been my photo that had been printed with that caption I would have been more than bloody furious! An apology or a refund of my ticket would not have been enough. Apologies come far too easy and it doesn’t mean anything if a homophobe is saying it with a big grin. I would want to know that the park would never do that sort of thing again. I would want to know that all their staff were trained in just how disgusting it is to do something like that. I would want to know that the park was truly sorry and fully realised just how horrible it was. Sadly, the only way to do this sort of thing these days is to hit them in the pocket. And if they make money out of it so what. At least it means they have the last laugh at the homophobes.

1. Great comment Gerry, you’re spot on!

8. I support them too.

9. I doubt if you replaced the word ‘fag’ with the n word people would just call it ‘mean’ and ‘childish’.

I don’t understand why gay people should have thicker skins than blacks.

1. so you use the term gay people then blacks. Say black people next time you dick

1. Staircase2 11 Aug 2011, 5:50pm

Agreed – although a little over the top in terms of the communication no?

10. Spiritbody 10 Aug 2011, 3:49pm

I clicked on this story thinking “Hm, this should be interesting to see what ‘slur’ they wrote on this photo.
    I was sorely disappointed. “We’re fags”?! “WE’RE FAGS”??!!!! I mean, these idiots didnt even put any effort into it! Its unoriginal and dumb. There seems to be absolutly no point. I doubt its even genuine homophobia its so dumb and un-thought out. This theme park needs to look again at who they employ, not so much on grounds of homophobia, but on grounds of plain and simple idiot kids.

11. They have a right to sue and I think they should. i would be far more sympathetic to their cause if the compensation they asked for was a written and public apology to be press-released out by the park owners. They can also specify that any cash sum they are awarded should be paid to a charity of their choice, perhaps ‘it gets better’ or something similar.

For them to pursue this for financial gain seems phony. No award that would be made would be enough to significantly damage the parent organisation financially, so it can’t be said that there’s that reasoning behind their pursuing this claim. Neither man was physically abused, neither lost out financially and neither have been prevented from earning or living as they did before.

Public apology and donation to charity – best outcome for all.

12. Sorry but the one word which springs to my mind is KERCHING! Yes,homophobia is wrong,wrong,wrong & the theme park should be taken to task over it but SUING?! Please,let’s get this into prespective shall we?! Refund their entrance-fee,give them a (public) apology even & a nominal sum & some assurance that it won’t happen again,& then MOVE ON! I mean,3 years down the line & they’re STILL ‘traumatised’?!

13. the friend/s should have taken the flyer or taken a pic for proof…