£1m record deal for Brighton & Hove Gay Men’s Chorus

1. Jock S. Trap 9 Aug 2011, 10:55am

Excellent – On a week like this it is nice to get some good positive news like this.
    =
    Congrats Brighton & Hove Gay Men’s Chorus.

2. Dan Filson 9 Aug 2011, 12:10pm

I never know quite what a million pound record deal entails. Is there really a market out there who will spend on records (CDs I presume) from Brighton & Hove Gay Men’s Chorus?

1. Jock S. Trap 9 Aug 2011, 1:01pm

I don’t see why not, people have all sorts of tastes. I hope they do really well.

2. it just means they get a million quid to spend on recording an album/albums/marketing/videos, depending on the contract they signed (they might make a few quid themselves if they’re lucky – but PR’s/management/record company office staff/recording engineers/studios/rights for songs they haven’t written etc etc cost a lot of money out of that budget – nearly all of it). it doesn’t mean they get a million quid each (or between themselves). they probs won’t make any money out of the CD/downloads, but could earn a few quid touring butlins etc. good on them tho. better than not getting a record deal and having to resort to looting shops.

3. Paddyswurds 10 Aug 2011, 11:01am

@Dan Filson…
      …trust you to put a downer on it.. If Daniel O’Donnell and Shane Ward can become millionaires at this cd selling lark so can B&HGMC…….
      As someone else said isn’t it better than out on the streets looting houses and shops!

3. Does anyone know if it’s possible to hear a snippet or two of them anywhere, on the Interent, at this time?

1. How about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcy4Ft7D9SU

Go to You Tube and type “brighton & hove gay men’s chorus” for more :-)

2. Brighton M 9 Aug 2011, 4:05pm

This is one of the official EPK’s (electronic press kit’s) which shows a bit more – no doubt there will be more in the next few weeks if not days

4. congratulations to you all!

looking forward to your first platinum disc.

5. And they did it without appearing on the X factor. Unusual these days. I think lots of grannies may buy this.

6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4orJvaAdGMU

I like their music and was touched by their story.

1. Don’t believe everything you see in a marketing video!

7. Rashid Karapiet 9 Aug 2011, 4:33pm

Having heard them on several occasions and knowing something of their background, I can onlymarvel at teir sheer chutzpah,,,And add my voice to the query ‘What exactly does a million-pound contract mean?’ And further, into whose pockets does it go?

1. *chuckles* hmmm yes, better not say what i’m thinking as they’re not renowned for their sense of humour!

8. I admire their philosophy of being a chorus of men who happen to be gay rather than a group of gay men singing gay songs.
    This is how integration and understanding happens.
    Good on y’er! Every success to you all, even if you don’t make shedloads of dosh.

1. Colin Mackay 9 Aug 2011, 9:51pm

Fair enough if they don’t want to sing stereotypically gay songs, but if they “happen to be gay” then why bother even putting that in the title. If it is of that little consequence to them why highlight it at all? Why not just be the “Brighton & Hove Men’s Chorus”?

1. I’m sure they refer to themselves as the ‘Brighton & Hove Straight-Acting Men’s Chorus’

1. Or why not “The Brighton & Hove Just Happen to be Gay Men’s Chorus?

9. Bill (Scotland) 10 Aug 2011, 9:06pm

Why all the knocking comments? I’ve looked at a few of the YouTube clips and they seem alright to me – if it is sold on Amazon in due course I’ll no doubt buy a copy.

One of my favourite CDs is one by the New York City Gay Men’s Chrous which I got years ago and still listen to from time to time.

Men (or indeed women) singing in perfect harmony is really enjoyable.

Good luck with their efforts :)