Boy George ‘suffered homophobic abuse in prison’

1. Nothing to do with this story but there are 2 epetitions out calling for marriage equality..one seems to be doing better than the other

1. Both the petitions are clumsily worded, they could have been composed more carefully, it’s enough to put me off signing.

2. Eddy - from 2007 8 Aug 2011, 11:30am

Thanks, John. Will sign both.

Re. Boy George in jail, I wonder if he was permitted make-up and a hat or two, as human rights.

1. JackAlison 9 Aug 2011, 9:40am

U know wot.
      That comment is just so lame and so NOT funny!!
      Being incarcerated by the state should afford protection from any injustice or further indignity such as verbal abuse or male rape and violence.
      More often than not all of the above occur in our prisons.
      For a very public, extroverted and flamboyant figure it could have gone pear shaped. And i don’t think anyone should have 2 undergo even the threat of such violations of HUMAN RIGHTS now that u mention them.

1. Eddy- from 2007 9 Aug 2011, 12:50pm

My question, Mr. Alison, is not lame, it is a valid question. I would genuinely like to know if Boy George was permitted to take in makeup and a hat or two.

Your response indicates that you think that if he were not permitted his makeup and his hats while in prison that his human rights would have been violated. If that is genuinely what you think, then you are simply OFF your head, Mr. Alison. Makeup and hats are a trivial affectation and not a human necessity, not an essential aspect of a person’s dignity.

1. JackAlison 9 Aug 2011, 8:44pm

@eddy ” Makeup and hats are a trivial affectation and not a human necessity, not an essential aspect of a person’s dignity.”
          On the contrary hats and makeup are VERY much part of who he is. And your bitchy comment trivializes who he is. Be respectful of difference rather than demean others who are differnet from u.

3. epetitions have had their day. Now they are used by politicians (with the help of right-wing journalists) in an attempt to control the news agenda.

It looks like people are wise to these tactics, which explains why comparatively few people signed the bring back the death penalty epetitions.

Equality is matter of principle – whether or not supported by public opinion. Look what happened with Prop 8 in California!

Want marriage equality? There’s no substitute for the hard slog of campaigning to the politicians.

1. Yes, I don’t think the epetition will get a huge number of signatures but petitions and numbers can be useful and can highlight something…do the hard slog as well (I’ve written and seen my mp, written lots) but sign the eptitions as well and get the numbers up (I have) and send it around to a few friends and family. There’s not a lot of publicity going around at the moment so why not get a little with the epetitions. It’s never remotely going to get to the desired figure of 100,000!!!

4. Does not surprise me that he suffered. I have worked in a male prison, the inmates are openly homophobic and nothing is done about it. I had to report a homophobic incident and was given a “racist incident” form to fill in as there is no form for homophobia!

5. Another Hannah 8 Aug 2011, 12:54pm

Gosh! Pink news has reACHED THE SHOCKING CONCLUSION THAT CRIMINALS ARE NOT NICE TO KNOW.

6. This is nothing to do with the story please hijack the forums

7. Ooer missus 8 Aug 2011, 3:59pm

He certainly is an optimist if he’s 50 and still calls himself Boy George.

8. Don’t break the law then George.

Simple really.

9. rightcharlie 8 Aug 2011, 4:25pm

I wonder if it was just the fact he’s gay that led to the abuse..?

not saying it’s right be he’s hardly a saint when it comes to opening his gob…

10. Spanner1960 8 Aug 2011, 8:00pm

Oh dear, poor soul.
    If you don’t break the law, then you won’t go to prison and meet all those nasty men. What were you expecting? Butlins?

11. Rich (original) 8 Aug 2011, 8:05pm

Would be better if this butty-boy never come out of the prison….

1. I think you mean ‘batty’. Now you just make him sound like a sandwich. At least if you’re going to parody a yardie, do it right.

12. David Myers 9 Aug 2011, 2:07am

This lot of reader’s comments is a pack of crap (mostly). Most of you have no compassion for other gay people (especially famous gay people), I even wonder if you are all (most all anyway) gay anyway. So you’re ready to excuse homophobia and picking on gay prisoners if you don’t like their stage personna? Grow up. You sound just like the bigots you pretend to disagree with. I realize there are a few here that don’t fit this description and I appologise to you folks for speaking so generally. The rest of you can FO.

1. Oh, you mistake me. I have compassion. Just not for people who repeatedly break the law and then bleat about how horrible it is regardless of their sexuality.

13. Idiot assualted a sex worker like it’s his right. Fat poof should have had his jaw broken