BBC pilots gay sitcom

1. Jock S. Trap 8 Aug 2011, 2:44pm

About a middle aged couple?
    Richard Griffiths (A very nice chap) is 63 and Robert Lindsey is 61. A bit over middle aged innit?
    Don’t see the point in the BBC making the pilot if they wouldn’t be airing it.
    There was me thinking they had to make cuts and save money, not the licence fee mind.
    If it’s quality give us it, it’ll be about time the BBC had something decent to watch.

1. Well, they need a pilot to show internally.

And just because they have to save money doesn’t mean they should scrap every new project and just show Top Gear and Doctor Who.

1. Jock S. Trap 8 Aug 2011, 3:29pm

But surely if they are having to save money they should put money on certainty of showing pilots and shows, not making them and not showing them.

1. They’re not going to air it until they’ve decided if they’re going to make more of it. For the moment the pilot is just to prove that the concept and writing is working.

2. Nowt wrong with being over 60.

1. Jock S. Trap 8 Aug 2011, 3:28pm

Didn’t say there was.

2. True, but unless you’re going to live to 120 it’s not middle aged.

1. Jock S. Trap 9 Aug 2011, 2:29pm

Exactly my point. :)

3. Each and every year, there are dozens of pilots made which are never aired. Often, it’s because they don’t test well, or there are creative differences that prevent the show from being made.

There are frequently also casting changes between the original pilot and the series that makes it on air. If you’ve ever seen Buffy, the pilot has a different actress playing Willow, the tone is different, and several iconic sets, such as the library, are also completely different.

The whole purpose of a pilot is “Let’s make a test episode and see how it goes,” hence why they so often sum up the purpose of the show in the first episode, assuming the first episode is what’s eventually aired.

1. Spanner1960 8 Aug 2011, 8:16pm

“Buffy” was based on a movie of the same name. American shows need to make pilots in order to sell it to the networks and advertisers. The BBC doesn’t.

1. Actually, the television series was only loosely based on the movie.

And, while the BBC doesn’t need to sell shows to advertisers, it does need to create pilots in order to show to test audiences so that they don’t come under even stronger criticism if they’ve ordered an entire series that instantly bombs.

4. Don Harrison 18 Nov 2011, 10:52pm

It won’t happen unless we all ring and complain against the few with loud voices who always get their way.

2. Really not sure about this- both the actors are great but the whole premise sound a bit too much like terry and june. IMHO The BBC had a great gay sitcom in Beautiful People which they buried on BBC 2 against Big BBC one programmes. This sounds so much like the BBC ticking boxes again

1. Sounds more like George and Mildred. Best not aired and best not made and paid for either.

3. martyn notman 8 Aug 2011, 3:12pm

sounds dreadful. Cant stand either of the actors either (Griffiths at least can act but his TV output been awful compared to his stage work, and Lindsey needs shooting for the bilge hes put out). If BBC is going to do Gay themed drama how about filming “at swim two boys”, “gypsy boy”, “the Indian Clark”, ANYTHING by David Leavitt or Ed White in fact, or for that matter any of the great gay fiction books of the last thirty years- rather than yet more early evening tosh

1. I found Lindsey very good in Hornblower.

1. martyn notman 8 Aug 2011, 3:37pm

was he in it? I spent most of that program drooling over ioan gruffudd in a uniform. I will give it a chance but i suspect it will turn into a cliched camp travesty.

2. auntie babs 8 Aug 2011, 8:34pm

now i do agree with you on filming adaptations of gay novels BBC did a corking adaptation of Leavitts The Lost Language of Cranes many years ago and ITV did a geat adaptation on Hollinsworth’s The Line Of Beauty more recently but we do seem to be overdue for another one (and no I don’t mean another Sarah Walters adaptation) – would love to see The swimming Pool Library or The Pageturner adapted….and would really love to see Joe Keenans brilliant books filmed to.

1. martyn notman 9 Aug 2011, 1:09am

I agree with the Sarah Walters comment! Shes a good writer for women (and brilliant ive got most of her books) but she cant write gay men for sh%t..There is such a buzz around Gypsy boy at the moment if it was a straight novel it would be picked up at once. Once again i suspect we may be bottom of a list of priorities.

4. Ooer missus 8 Aug 2011, 3:26pm

The actors are both excellent, but they seem an unlikely couple. I’d be interested to see the show though. We’ve had plenty of shows featuring young thrusting gays, it’d be a change to see a show about an older couple.

1. Jock S. Trap 8 Aug 2011, 3:33pm

One thing I have found funny about the BBC, they show such discrimination on age in particularly with women and yet the amount of shows over the years that have been about older people in life.
      Dad’s Army, Last of the Summer Wine, One Foot in the Grave, Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By to mention a few…

1. Ooer missus 8 Aug 2011, 5:52pm

On the gay side though: Queer as Folk, UK and US versions, all the various soaps, American sitcoms, Queer Eye, all featuring young gays. I don’t think we’ve ever had one featuring an ageing gay couple.

2. Gimme Gimme Gimme was ace.

1. Ooer missus 8 Aug 2011, 5:53pm

You’re being sarcastic, right?

1. Spanner1960 8 Aug 2011, 8:17pm

I thought GGG was excellent, as was Beautiful people by the same writer, Johnathan Harvey.

5. This doesent work as a show. Ok great actors but the premise is a bit iunno one foot in the grave maybe.

I can just see them being written as a pair of old queens.

I miss beautiful people lol. Was so stereotyped but funny as hell

1. Jock S. Trap 8 Aug 2011, 3:36pm

No, I think it could be good but of course it does depend on the writers.
      I think one of the funniest shows recently, esp with it’s Gay couple is Modern Family but sadly it’s American so time for a UK alternative.

1. Ooer missus 8 Aug 2011, 5:56pm

I doubt other actor would play it camp, it wouldn’t be convincing on them. Can’t stand modern family.

1. Ooer missus 8 Aug 2011, 5:58pm

Should say either actor. Damned spellcheck invents things I don’t type.

2. Jock it’s funny that you find that contrast, because most American comedy is based on a British concept remake in an American flavor and sold back to the Brit’s as a variation on a theme. Rarely can they claim ownership to a concept and have to credit ownership “based on an idea by (usually British)”

1. Jock S. Trap 9 Aug 2011, 8:46am

Very true Steve_R and their humour does tend to be either years behind or just plain ridiculous, however the couple in Modern Family are not stereotypes but rather just a Gay couple which I have to say is very refreshing.

2. Adam88 I totally agree and hope that any sitcom uses whit and situation humor rather than queens or stereo types. Curses that I can’t recall the name! but I recently viewed a short film that showed house mates (gay) one young kicked out of home and one older as a mentor, It was brilliant and explored the differences in attitude and perspective and made for some wonderfully magical moments. This to me is what would make a good show because the concept would be neither predictable or stereotypical of gay adults sharing their life experiences but not relationships.

6. My Family qualifies for WORST comedy ever, I use the term ‘comedy’ loosely, you’d hear more laughs at a funeral. I can see this being a safe gay version of the odd couple, a pair of older guys sparring off each other -yawn. Still on the plus side if it were a young couple John Jazz Hands Barrowman would be petitioning for a role. Small mercies.

1. Jock S. Trap 9 Aug 2011, 8:47am

Have to agree, I can’t stand My Family.

7. I know they’re both good actors, but I’ve seen them in too many things to see them and be believeable as gay characters without being over the top, and then that’s just insulting.

Seriously BBC, get some originality.

1. Ooer missus 8 Aug 2011, 6:00pm

Isn’t Griffiths the one who played the gay teacher in History Boys?

1. Jock S. Trap 9 Aug 2011, 8:49am

Yes he has had several Gay roles including The History Boys and of course Withnail and I although not Gay himself is one of the best at what he does.

8. The BBC would prob get more ratings doing zoe , shes such a rug muncher

9. gotta love that richard griffiths though!

10. Why are there so many soaps on tv at the moment that has gay characters,Coronation St., Hollyoaks.,Emmerdale often played by bad actor/esses and now the BBC wants to inflict a drama with gay overtones on us.
    The best gay drama was put out by Channel 4, Queer As Folk a few years ago and the likes has never been repeated :(

1. Ooer missus 8 Aug 2011, 6:03pm

It was repeated. And remade in the US. And further series.

It was good but we need something new, not just regurgitating the clubbing and sex stereotype.

2. martyn notman 9 Aug 2011, 1:13am

yes because the men in that actually had a sexuality-ie they HAD SEX…where as most of the gay/lesbian representation on tv at the moment is neutered safe for telly bumfluff that will offend as few people as possible…

3. As said by Ooer missus The outstanding British series QAF was re filmed as a different series for a different audience. Nothing ever touched the original for it’s brilliant screen writing and pace. I lived in both Manchester and Toronto where the series were filmed so felt a sense of connection to both, but returning to the ability of the British writers don’t underestimate the superiority of material compared to crass north American quality that dragged QAF out over 5 seasons with almost no new story lines to make it in any way distinct. I still hold the best gay drama’s come from the UK! as long as soaps are excluded from any comparison made.

4. Jock S. Trap 9 Aug 2011, 8:50am

Keith, I think you need the comments of this about 3 – 4 weeks ago.

11. Spanner1960 8 Aug 2011, 8:12pm

Somehow, those two just don’t seem to make a couple to me. Just my tupenny worth.

1. Galadriel1010 9 Aug 2011, 3:40pm

I know many couples in real life I’d say the same about.

12. auntie babs 8 Aug 2011, 8:20pm

i hope it gets past pilot stage. i’ll certainly be giving it a chance. To be honest it’ll be refreshing to see gay charecters on the tv who aren’t 20-30 years old. I think there’s a lot of potential good in the idea. Of course it may be rubbish but give it a chance.

1. Jock S. Trap 9 Aug 2011, 8:51am

Yes, must admit I would like to see it, judge for myself.

13. Michael Furniss 9 Aug 2011, 5:08pm

Nobody has mentioned just how good “Cabin Pressure” is…

14. Don Harrison 18 Nov 2011, 10:49pm

It will never happen unless we all ring and complain against the few with loud voices who always get their way.
    Remember Mary Whitehouse?