Tory MP Chloe Smith supports gay marriage

1. Good…

Perhaps she can find out why the promised consultation on marriage equality has been delayed then?

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 10:52am

Someone needs to find out, I agree.

2. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 10:51am

Excellent, this is what we need more of.
    I am still wonder why we don’t have such a big political and celebrity endorsement too like they do in the US.
    Something needs to happen and I’m glad Chloe Smith support this.

1. I think its because we already have civil partnerships in the UK so alot of people think thats good enough.

1. I agree and so many people call it marriage too, despite not quite so.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 3:04pm

Exactly, so a campaign should be put forward to get known figures openly supporting marriage Equality.
          Enough of the separate, lets get Equal.

2. The church and many religious people are so against gay monogamy these days, they will fight marriage equality to the bitter end, they will lose of course.

3. Well done, you are the future of your party, the younger generation.

Jock, quite! I’ve been asking that question for some time. You’d think our own celebrities would take their cue from their American counterparts in the world of celebrity. Look what happend though, New York state managed to get it done with the help of famous people speaking up and loudly too. Not a peep from any of ours. Imagine the impact if people in the sports world such as David Beckham (I’m sure Victoria supports it) would speak up. Imagine the positive impact it might garner in the sports world, already tackling homophobia. Marriage equality if anything will do a lot to diminish homophobia and the way people rgard us and I’m convinced it would help address the issue of bullying in schools and elsewhere once the stigma of being treated and looked at differently under a different label.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 12:06pm

Indeed, I’m confused about the Beckham’s being that they both are likely to support this Equality and both can make an impacty in ordinary and sport arenas.
      People like Stephen Fry must have the power to be able to get together support as well as possibly Stonewall.
      Here’s hoping…

4. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 12:03pm

Thank you PinkNews for dealing with pepa.
    Here’s hoping he doesn’t return.

1. Dealing with Pepa ???? I’ve just logged on today – whats happened??

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 12:13pm

After seeing his comments on the story about David Norris about yourself and Iris which were nasty and damn right libellous, I and many others I suspect complained, hence I gather why the comment page on that story was disabled.
        He clearly used the page as an attack and not much else.
        He has commented a few times within the hour and all comments removed, I hope he has now been blocked… probably until he uses another pc but nevertheless… it’s progress.

1. I had a feeling it might be the Norris story after I had posted that comment.

I also had a sorry feeling that I may be one of the people he continued to attack

I hope he is permanently excluded but we shall see

Next to deal with Rich!

Thanks for the support, Jock S Trap … Its good to know there are plenty of us whilst not agreeing with everything eacvh other thinks – will support honestdebate and discourse over serious issues

On this particular story – excellent news

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 12:22pm

Your welcome fella but there were many others too and I probably came into it later so credit where it’s due to them.
            As for Rich (unoriginal) well that’ll be interesting…

2. I noticed the comments by Pepa have gone, and just to say his attacks on both Stu and Iris were very nasty.
            Hope you are both ok

3. Stu,

I have exposed you and your evilness of supporting the exploitation of minors and nothing else.

That is why you want me off Pink News, but that ain’t going to happen.

I talked to somebody at PN and they decided to disable the comments BOTH because of my comments and the total emebarrassment of yours and Dan Filson’s. They are concerned that PN was appearing as though they were endorsing what that creep Norris was saying.

I was banned for a bit but now I have returned. Hello!

~PePa
            Gayrea 51
            Gays Against Homosexual Extremism

4. I hope he is permanently excluded but we shall see

Next to deal with Rich!

Of course I have caught you red handed, but of course I’m not going to deal with your issues any further.

You said what you said about abuse of minors, but heed this: I have NO respect for you after what you have posted, it was pure evilness. I personally think you shouldn’t be anywhere near any children. The risks are too high.

~PePa
            Gayrea 51
            Gays Against Homosexual Extremism

5. @Pepa

You can spin what I said any way you wish – I fortunately have them stored on my laptop and have shown them to a barrister friend who states there is nothing I have to fear from a legal scenario. In no way do I support paedophilia and I clearly and unambiguouly state I find child sex abuse abhorrent.

If you persist in distorting what I say and libelling me then I will instruct legal representatives to take action against you and require PN to disclose information they strore (as required under the Data Protection Act 1998) so that we can seek reparation for you evil and libellous comments.

To all PN members who supported me and understand that I am not a paedophile and do not support it, and hopefully agree that I am being targetted by Pepa as I pick apart his demented arguments, thank you and I look forward to further mutual support

2. I also reported pepa’s swamping of the boards with his vile accusations directly to Jessica who unapproved all comments (thanks Jessica)
          PN don’t have the resources to moderate comments before they are posted and as editing them involves someone on editorial digging through all the posts individually afterwards it’s time consuming and doesn’t happen much.
          We may have to alert Jessica whenever trolling becomes too vicious, it’s not ideal.
          As to whether pepa has been blocked, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 12:57pm

Blocked or not, I doubt it’s the last we’ll hear from him, probably in another name, beware!!

2. Thanks Pavlos

I suspected that was the approach PN would have to have due to limitations of resources

I wonder if its time to consider an alternative approach to the forums with membership etc which can be suspended or removed for violations of a code of conduct?

3. Or we could set up so certain trusted members could have moderator status like they do on grindr etc.

4. Paddyswurds 3 Aug 2011, 4:18pm

@everyone ..
            …did anyone see the comment/ suggestions re pepa and rich2 which i made about 10 mins before the thread was disabled?

2. Thank goodness, what a moron he was. Now maybe it’s time to deal with Rich (Original) too?

3. Does this have anything to do with the comments disabled on the Norris withdrawal from the Irish presidency story?

Being nosey now but what did I miss?

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 12:24pm

Yes and all you need to know is there are clearly friends around when you need em!!
        ;)

1. Thanks again (and to anyone else involved – both those I can guess at and those friends I was not aware of! – shame I can’t see the thread to see what was said and who supported me – hey!)

Thanks also to PN for their action on this occasion

Hopefully normal sensible (if occasionally heated) debate will continue!

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 12:58pm

Yep back to the debating… now bitch…. (just kiddin!!) :))

2. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 12:59pm

damn PinkNews software it missed out my smiley.
            :))

3. ok, bitch … you were saying lol ;-P

5. Absolutely great news to see a clear and unambiguous statement in full support of marriage and aprtnership equality from a potentially dynamic Conservative poltiician of now and the future

6. Whoop Whoop! Thank you Chloe.

I think Pink News should conduct a survey of all the MP’s to see how support for Marriage Equality goes! I think maybe we should all do the same with our own MP’s.

7. Spanner1960 3 Aug 2011, 1:11pm

“She is one of the very few Tory MPs to support gay civil marriages and heterosexual civil partnerships.”
    How fcuking biased can you get?

1. To be fair, Spanner, very few Conservative MPs have “come out” as supporting equality of marriage AND equality of CP. Some have said CPs are sufficient (such as Cameron), some think equal marriage is wrong, some refuse to comment (and ellude to seeking views from their constituents), Chloe Smith has at least supported and it is time others laid their cards on the table openly, honestly and unambiguously

1. Stu, what you say may be right but it isn’t just Conservative MPs…. most Labour and Lib Dem MPs haven’t mentioned same sex marriage and opposite sex CP either, therefore, according to Peter T’s logical, we should say the majority of Lab and Lib MPs are against same sex marriage and opposite sex civil partnerships too. He should say this too.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 2:29pm

I would have thought by now that marriage Equality would have not just been a Lib Dem party policy issue.

2. Indeed, you could say the same about Liberal Democrat MPs and Labour MPs as there is no evidence the majority of MPs from either party support same sex marriage and opposite sex civil partnerships. Lib Dems party conference isn’t evidence, either.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 2:27pm

Indeed.
        Question is are we as a country going to be leave very embarrassingly behind when it comes to the subject of Marriage Equality?
        It is already looking so.

3. Jason Brown 3 Aug 2011, 3:21pm

It’s not biased, it’s just true, the majority of consverative MPs oppose gay marriage.

1. Provide evidence for this claim. If you can’t, you’re making things up. Since you sideline the Tories here, how about finding evidence that most Lab and Lib Dem MPs support same sex marriage and opposite sex civil partnerships. If you can’t, then we assume you also think the majority of Labour and Lib Dem MPs oppose same sex marriage and opposite sex civil partnerships. Credible sources will do.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 3:46pm

To be fair, the Lib Dems do have marriage Equality as party policy, the only main one of the three to do so.

1. I am not sure what that actually means as marriage equality wasn’t in their manifesto and it still wouldn’t be good enough for Peter T as he wants civil partnerships opened up to opposite sex couples. Plus, very few Lib Dem MPs have come out in favour of same sex marriage.

2. @Luke – Marriage equality wasn’t in the manifesto because the motion making it party policy was brought to the September 2010 conference. That makes it as much Lib Dem policy as anything that was in the manifesto, even if it wasn’t passed before the manifesto was published.

What that actually means is that if it comes to a vote in the Commons, Lib Dem MPs will be whipped to vote for it.

Marriage equality was in the Scottish Liberal Democrat 2011 manifesto.

2. de Villiers 3 Aug 2011, 5:20pm

I’m on the right but I think it fair to state that, on balance, the majority of MPs on the right would not choose to vote for gay marriage in a free vote and/or would support it only if instructed to do so by their party. One does not have to produce “evidence” rather than rational argument to arrive at such a conclusion.

1. Why do you think the majority wouldn’t support same sex marriage?

2. de Villiers 4 Aug 2011, 8:23am

The right, by its nature, is conservative. It resists change, often wherever it occurs rather than having a coherent philosophy of its own. It often (but not always) seeks to slow, restrain and act as a brake upon progressive elements. When, however, it is defeated by something, it embraces it as part of its own view and then defends it with the same ferocity as it had previously attacked it.

8. The leaders are homophobes so makes no difference.

They lied and postponed a consultation that should never exist. They all grew up in pompous rich stuck up house holds having a twisted education and upbringing Ans think religion = marriage.

Their lack of knowledge is embarrassing.

1. de Villiers 3 Aug 2011, 2:11pm

> Their lack of knowledge is embarrassing.

As is yours.

2. Adam88, a very embarrassing comment form you!

1. Paddyswurds 3 Aug 2011, 4:45pm

@Luke …
        …yea very….for the Homophobic Tories!!

3. Paddyswurds 3 Aug 2011, 4:44pm

@Adam88…
      ……Hear, Hear!

1. de Villiers 3 Aug 2011, 5:22pm

Perhaps it would be appropriate to start making fun of the background of Adam or Paddyswurds. Why don’t you start Paddyswurds, by telling us what it is? Then we can joke about whether you are posh or common.

4. “They lied and postponed a consultation …”…..YES…they have, haven’t they? I was really looking forward to it in July , I even waited for an announcement on the last Sunday of the month and nothing came…Where is it? At this precise moment I’d prefer Chloe to start ringing up Lynne Featherstone and try to get an answer for us. If she truly believes in marriage equality then her govt/party has told us that they are setting up a procedure to discuss it and this was due to start in July. Without this consultation starting on time then nothing is going to happen, no publicity is going happen and we aren’t going to know which party/mp/lord or popstar or celebrity support it…..She may support PT’s legal bid in Europe but I want the govt to bring in a bill now after a proper public/open consultation and I want it to happen before the next election..a long time before it!

9. So a Chloe (Who?) probably lesbian atheist supports the marriage equality campaign and it’s news? Next we’ll be seeing the top white male Bullyingdon Club members accept her views as their own. Wait for it… but don’t hold your breath. A great power is in her hands. Let’s see if she can push the independence of the Norwich Kingdom. In the meantime we can watch the cheering from her future subjects when her superiors make crass gay jokes in Parliament and fail to follow their gay rights promises through.

1. de Villiers 3 Aug 2011, 5:24pm

That was a comment from Berberts (who?).

10. Paddyswurds 3 Aug 2011, 4:23pm

….
    ……Yea but can she persuade Nick the Toff and Call me Dave of the ConDem alliance that we have a legitimate claim to equality. Somehow i seriously doubt. The Homophobic Law and Justice Tories have never been great at heeding the back benchs………..

1. de Villiers 3 Aug 2011, 5:36pm

Perhaps it would be appropriate to start making fun of the background of Paddyswurds. Why don’t you start Paddyswurds, by telling us what is your background and education? Then we can joke about it.

1. Paddyswurds 3 Aug 2011, 10:20pm

@de Villiers..
        …Work it out for yourself, but the story isn’t about Adam or me, so perhaps it would suit better if you debated the story and the Homophobic Tories, not fellow commentators.

1. de Villiers 4 Aug 2011, 8:18am

More lordly chants. It is, apparently, unacceptable to attack gay people for their unchosen characteristics, unacceptable to attack people of a particular race for their unchosen characteristics but acceptable nevertheless to attack others on the basis of their unchosen characteristics. Hypocritical and weak.

1. Paddyswurds 4 Aug 2011, 11:17am

@de Villiers….
            …….you wouldn’t be a Law and Justice Homophobic Tory by any chance?

2. de Villiers 4 Aug 2011, 10:48pm

Again, weak.

11. And now for a comment completely useless:

Man, she is hot !

1. Paddyswurds 3 Aug 2011, 10:22pm

@Felipe…
      …one presumes you are being ironic or cruel or both. She looks to me like a very unplesant butch dyke.

1. Rather harsh! What are the characteristics of an Unpleasant Butch Dyke?! How can you tell from one photograph?! I wonder how Chloe would describe you from a random press photo…?!

2. I think you must need your eyes tested, Paddyswurds – from this photograph she looks charming, if a little boyish, and with a very nice smile. Not at all what would generally be considered a ‘butch dyke’.

3. Paddyswurds, that’s an awfully homophobic comment – she looks like a person. There’s no need to suggest she fits into a box called “unpleasant butch dyke” even if such a box exists the only person who has the right to label her like that is Chloe herself.

4. Actually not, I was being serious. There is something beautiful about her in that photo. I don’t think having short hair makes chicks automatically ugly.

12. Well I for one am very pleased that there is an Out Tory. In my peer group, I feel like I’m the only one. There seems to be a huge amount of inexcusable intolerance towards being a Tory, which transcends any other characteristics. I am rather fed up that having coming out, I am now experiencing my LGBT peers trying to shove me into a political closet… sigh! So go for it Chloe! And for everyone who is doubtful of the effect that one small voice in the Norfolk Kingdom may have with the big wigs, just remember Rosa Parks….. it takes just one person to start a movement.

1. de Villiers 4 Aug 2011, 8:20am

2. de Villiers 4 Aug 2011, 8:21am

Perhaps the intolerance is because, sometimes, the only freedom some people want is the freedom to oppress others. And on this board, that is often an attack on the moderate right which fails to fit into that vision of the self-anointed left.

1. Paddyswurds 4 Aug 2011, 11:28am

@de Villiers…
        ….unfortunately we don’t have a moderate right in the UK. We only have a rabidly xtian homophobic tory party which thinks or wishes it was still the 18th or 19th century when the big house ruled and the peasant knew his place and “queers” could be thrown in jail . A Law and Justice homophobic Tory party which broke from the moderate right group in Europe and Joined forces with Polands vile Law and Justice party. A rabidly Homophobic Tory party which sent Call me Dave out to placate the “queers” with all sorts of false promises before the election so they would vote for them.

2. Paddyswurds 4 Aug 2011, 11:38am

cont…
        …and I forgot to add a homophobic Tory party which is now proposing to roll back our hard won equaality laws to give xtian fantasists the right to discriminate against us as they see fit. Hardly a moderate right, de Villiers?

1. de Villiers 4 Aug 2011, 10:49pm

Let me know which measures they are rolling back.

1. Paddyswurds 5 Aug 2011, 10:54am

@deVilliers…
            …problems with your reading glasses old dear. I said “proposing to roll back”. I know it’s difficult for you but do try to keep up, pet.

2. de Villiers 5 Aug 2011, 2:13pm

Your insults are so poor. They have absolutely no rigour or elegance. They probably make you feel more intelligent but the effect is merely to parade your infantile behaviour. Let us know which gay rights measures they are -proposing- to roll back.

3. Until the Tories prove that they’re doing something on key LGBT issues then I’m not sure they’re going to get much praise. You don’t praise someone for just inheritiing a previous govt’s achievements and simply just doing nothing much for the next 5 yrs is suddenly going to make us love the Tories. Choosing soft options like supporting gays in Sport or fighting homophobic bullying and hate crime isn’t impressive. In the last month, we’ve had a delay in the marriage equality consultation and a Tory MP ,who will set up an inquiry in October, has threatened to wind back the equality laws which won’t be in fthe favour of the LGBT community.

The key line in the article is sill “David Cameron, George Osborne and most Conservative MPs are still resisting calls for equality….”. If you or Chloe continue to have no impact at all then I suggest that you may want to look at a different party …

1. de Villiers 4 Aug 2011, 10:28am

I’m not sure that I’ve sought to praise anyone, although this particular MP calling for marriage to be extended to gay couples is deserving of it. Other than that, you have set up a false argument. I support the Right but it is odd and incorrect to say that I “love” the Tories or the UMP or that I would want others to “love” them. Also, it is unlikely that I or an individual MP will ever have much influence in a large political party, whether it be on the left or right. That is no reason itself to vote for a different party.

If the Conservative Party or the UMP decided to turn back protections for gay people then I would consider voting against them (the UMP, I have no vote in general elections in the UK). I will continue to vote on a number of different factors including the value of money, borrowing, debt, fiscal and monetary policy, education policy, health policy, pension policy and European policy in additional to matters cultural and social.

1. Sorry de villiers but it was mainly a response to the previous guy’s winging line “…There seems to be a huge amount of inexcusable intolerance towards being a Tory”

4. Hello darling, your good intentions won’t make much resonance where you are right now, for obvious reasons. Rosa Parks didn’t join the Ku Klux Klan to start or promote any kind of movement or to try to change their views. You are the one in need of a change of tactics and strategy, and most importantly, associations, then praise might be on your way.

1. de Villiers 4 Aug 2011, 10:50pm

Are you associating the UMP with the KKK? Idiot.

2. de Villiers 4 Aug 2011, 10:51pm

Are you associating the UMP with the KKK ?

1. de Villiers 4 Aug 2011, 10:51pm

Idiot.

13. Let’s look at the last election. The Tories barely scraped through and were forced to form a coalition government. If their party doesn’t support marriage equality, a lot of gay voters will remember them in 2015. Either put up or shut up, Tories. Deliver the goods and prove you’re the all inclusive party you claim to be. Until then, I’ll remain sceptical. I can just hear the C of E dictating to them to say NO and they’ll probably cave in and do just that. A discussion to turn back equality laws to allow discrimination is an indicator as to where marriage equality is headed. Down the toilet!

1. I don’t remember the Labour party promising equal gay marriage either.

1. Jock S. Trap 8 Aug 2011, 3:58pm

Gordon Brown said Civil Partnerships were ‘adequate’ with no need for marriage Equality, just before the last election so we wouldn’t even be having this discussion, had they stayed.

1. To be fair, the Conservatives made no such promise either so unless we had the (unlikely) LibDem govt or a coalition involving them I think it would be unlikely to be debated

14. Mike Homfray 4 Aug 2011, 6:58pm

Personally I would never, ever vote Tory, but surely support from all quarters should be welcomed, including from gay-friendly Tories