Marvel Comics reveals black-Latino Spider-Man – who could be gay in future

1. Peter Parker killed?

1. I know shocking isn’t it :( couldn’t he have just retired or something.

1. Tim Roll-Pickering 4 Aug 2011, 2:37pm

The real Peter Parker has retired too many times only to redon costume a few issues later for it to be credible any more. Responsibility and guilt is just too fundamental to the character for it to work.

The only alternative would have been to reveal the Spider-Man we’d been reading about for years was in fact some sort of look-a-like imposter and have the “real” one show up and “resume” his role whilst the imposter retires, but who’d go for something as bizarre as that?!

2. I assume this article is referring to the Ultimate line of comics and not the main series.

3. This is ridiculous, this is just another attempt for Marvel Comics to thwart one of the most famous american comic book icons.

So disappointing.

1. Guys don’t feed this persistent troll.

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Aug 2011, 10:20am

Who you on about, I’m just hearing white noise…

2. Staircase2 4 Aug 2011, 11:20pm

Sexy muscles…but you’re missing the point

1. Jock S. Trap 5 Aug 2011, 10:29am

I think you mean plot!

4. There are so far 10 – 15 known LGBT Superheroes in the Regular Marvel Universe….Use to be more but Phat and Vivisector died long ago. The most notable of the lot is Northstar (X-men and Alpha Flight), Wiccan and Hulkling (Young Avengers).

2. Just to be clear, no they haven’t killed off Peter Parker. They killed off *Ultimate* Peter Parker who is an alt universe reimagining of the original.

1. Oh good phew :) why is there an alt universe reimagining couldn’t they have just carried on the original.

1. Double phew!
        As Hamish said, why have this “Ultimate” alternate universe – I know Marvel may want to explore concepts such as superheroes with ties to particular minority groups but why experiment with Spiderman? We already have loads of black superheros in Marvel comics (such as Blade).

3. I have not read a comic book in years, this might jolt some interest into me.

4. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 3:07pm

“Maybe sooner or later a black or gay – or both – hero will be considered something absolutely normal.”

Thanks but I already consider myself “absolutely normal”.

1. Jason Brown 3 Aug 2011, 3:15pm

You consider yourself a superhero? What are your powers?

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 3:48pm

Naturally. My powers? well that Would be telling!! ;)

2. Of course,

Something very small like a jockstrap NEEDS a big ego.

Inside jocko really wants marvel comics to validate him.

2. burningworm 4 Aug 2011, 2:54pm

Chasing Amy (the film) springs to mind.

3. Staircase2 4 Aug 2011, 11:21pm

You’re taking an expression of solidarity and turning it into a confrontation – why is that?

5. Jason Brown 3 Aug 2011, 3:15pm

I’m not sure how this is pink news worthy.

1. It isn’t news worthy, pink or otherwise IMHO

2. Its a slow news day.

Corporate media needs to write about something. Some gay celebrity farted, some lesbian slipped on a banana, it needs to be reported. lol

6. What they forgot to mention is that this is the Ultimate Spider-Man from Marvel’s Ultimate imprint, which is separate from the superhero books they’ve published since the early 60’s. THAT Peter Parker is alive and well.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 3:49pm

Yep, I saw him last week in Sainsbury’s.

1. Nah. That was a scan artist.

2. Oh, thank godness.. I don’t think I could have gone on living without knowing Peter is still out there somewhere, protecting us.

7. As long as he is played by Donald Glover in a TV or cinema adaptation I am OK with it.

8. I hope he doesn’t become a token figure. But I’m sure it’ll be good for greater visibility of diversity.

And I’m happy for this to be news. It draws attention to what is happening. And what is happening is something positive.

9. Yea don’t worry everyone. Peter Parker is the only real spiderman.

Well him and ben reiley.

This is just the ultimate time line. Who cares. Well I do a bit as ethnic and possibly gay. Talk about trying to fill a diversity requirement.

Even mentioning that this ultimate trash they call spiderman is black means they’re making it an issue when it’s nothing.

Ah well just glad I hate the ultimate lot anyway.

1. Actually You forget Miguel O’Hara who was Spider-man 2099, and he was vastly popular :)

The Ultimate line is actually pretty cool. They can do things over there that would not possibly work in the main 616 universe. Yes that is why there is an Ultimate Universe…Marvel has been long since developed the multi-verse and maintained it with great documentation.

Earth 616 is the main Marvel Universe and I believe Ultimate is 1610. All the What Ifs, 2099, Past or Future like stories with Marvel Characters are all divergent or alternate time lines. There way of putting it…If a character like Bishop or Cable go back in the past to fix their future…they actaully caused another Timeline (or Universe as they use that word loosely).

This is the difference between DC and Marvel…Marvel actually knows what they are doing where as DC have to have 10,000 freaking crossovers named Crisis this and that to work things out. LOL

10. And he wasn’t killed by green goblin. I anything he killed goblin by looks of it. He died of a gun shot wound saving another hero.

I shan’t spoil it for people ;)

11. Box [tick], box [tick], box [tick], yawn…

1. I agree. They forgot to say that he’s also going to be Jewish. IOW, they are going to throw as many “special labels” on this one guy 7 then say “See? We did it!” & then forget about true diversity.

12. …and he used to be woman…. and he’s in a wheelchair…. and he saves people through the use of trade unions…. christ sake.

1. Don’t be silly, Oracle is the female superhero in a wheelchair.

13. Whats with the “ticking all the boxes” line. Bla/tino and gay is only only 2 identities? If he were irish and gay (2 boxes) would people be so eye rolling? FFS Pink News.co.uk is one of the most racist place on the internet… get out and see the world, being bla/tino and gay in the USA isn’t that unusual.

1. Quite, by that rationale you could argue that Superman is a superbeing from the planet Krypton and genetically impervious to bullets putting him in an incredibly niche racial minority group with only 4 surviving members! (You have to count General Zod and his 2 sidekicks in there!)

1. marjangles 4 Aug 2011, 12:25pm

Isn’t it 5, Supergirl is also from Krypton no?

1. Depends on which Supergirl and after which stupid Crisis reboot the damn universe dumb cross overs lol

2. Staircase2 4 Aug 2011, 11:24pm

Agreed

1. Staircase2 4 Aug 2011, 11:26pm

That was agreed @chris re his ‘Pink News is Racist’ and wouldn’t bat an eyelid if the new Spiderman were Irish and gay..

14. Would be interesting if he does turn out to be gay to see which black star would play him in the movie

1. Staircase2 4 Aug 2011, 11:26pm

Will Smith would have been good when he was younger :o)

15. It’s not the main universe however you know Will Smith is just getting wet at the thought one of his vile offspring will one day be Spider-man.

1. Would never be a film of this. It would flop.

Only 3 people can be spiderman Ans only one is THE spiderman aka Peter Parker. After him you get into scarlet spider and 2099 territory. Tho noir too deserves a look in.

I have always hated people putting black people in roles for the sake of it. Aka nick fury and kingpin. Fact is when characters were created you just couldn’t have an ethnic hero so most classic super heroes are all White.

The world has changed thankfully but I don’t believe we should meddle with characters just to suit our new modern way of thinking. It would be like saying hmm we need to take the attitude out of static shock and John Stewart just don’t work.

I dream of a properly gay super hero series that is main stream and not a stereotype. But this is just box ticking.

Funny really as my mate last few years has gotten into spiderman but this will really make him unsure as he likes the ultimate version. Hahahaha

1. Continued:

He doesent get that the best spiderman is from the 90’s and not just the cartoon series but also the clone saga comics. Now available in hardback ^^

As for Jackson and nick fury. He plays it well and seeing as that particular version of the character was designed around him from the start he plays it perfectly. In the end it upsets me we changed a character but in that case I think it was a good change. Unlike our new pc ultimate spiderman.

The world scares me. It would be like saying woah hang on we can’t have a balck woman called Storm who is from an African tribe. Can’t she be from some American city.

>.>

Diversity is good but don’t screw up characters people.

2. Staircase2 4 Aug 2011, 11:28pm

@AndyQ – what you mean ‘vile offspring’…….?!
      (ps you clearly havent heard my theory which says that someone using the word ‘vile’ says more about them than it does about the person they’re directing it at….)

1. Spanner1960 6 Aug 2011, 12:15pm

Aaahbsolutley VILE, dahlink!

1. Staircase2 4 Aug 2011, 11:34pm

How odd….

16. I agree, to an extent. For example, I would feel uncomfortable letting, for talks sake, letting an outright racist stay in my private b&b. And a lot of Christians feel uncomfortable with homosexuality.

Thankfully I’m civilsed enough not to judge people on the basis of who they love, but I do judge hateful people.

17. colossus & North star in an alternative universe were gay & well written so this is awesome..so they finally made a spiderman not white thats awesome..im looking forward to see how this is written..