Lesbian couple saved 40 teenagers in Norway massacre

1. Way to keep your finger on the pulse Pink News. Seriously I read this story 5 days ago.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 11:52am

ANd that matters because?

1. Because it’s a news service that doesn’t keep up to date with the news

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 12:01pm

I’m sure it’s not as easy as you’d think but they do well on the most part.

2. given that i receive it without any subscription fee – i am more than content with the speed and quality of reporting

1. David Myers 5 Aug 2011, 7:07am

I second that! Someone is always looking for something to bit#h about or complain about. I, for one, appreciate Pinknews’ committment to world-wide gay/lesbian news that I might not know about through my regular sources. Good work. Please keep an eye on the trolls though! Thanks.

2. To be fair – The Independent only covered this today.

I have to say I prefer it to be covered, possibly a little late than not at all

The actions and bravery of these women are to be commended

1. Mumbo Jumbo 3 Aug 2011, 7:16pm

It was in the Advocate last Wednesday:

3. Sister Mary Clarence 3 Aug 2011, 1:43pm

I didn’t, so I happy to read about it now

1. Same here. If I’m busy I often miss news so I’m glad this has appeared on PN.
        These women were extremely brave – especially to continue to do more than one run, having been shot at.

2. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 11:52am

I have such respect for these two and All those that helped save people, children from such a vicious attack on Freedoms.

I also felt for all those who lost.

Far from the stories around this criminal who we’ll hear about again and again, I wish the media would instead ignore these nasty people and focus more on the victims who seem to be pushed aside even those they paid such a heavy price.

3. Bloody marvellous! I can just hear the Daily Mail having a field day with this one, assuming they’d print it which I doubt.

I wonder how many of these right wing “christians” would have refused help had they known these two heroines were lesbians?

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 12:02pm

Exactly, excellent point.

1. David Myers 5 Aug 2011, 7:09am

Robert, you sure jump to conclusions and make assumptions, don’t you? Or are you just trying to get a rise out of folks?

2. Spanner1960 3 Aug 2011, 1:23pm

Huh? They were a left-wing political youth group.

1. Ooer missus 3 Aug 2011, 3:48pm

Daily Mail story was pretty good for once.

1. They still managed to repeat his reasoning again though, about immigration. That’s possibly the only reason that Fascist rag printed the story at all, so they could continue with their daily dose of racism. You’ll see it constantly repeated on every story the Daily Mail prints about the Norwegian tragedy. They have no scruples about it at all. Fascists never do.

2. Jock S. Trap 4 Aug 2011, 8:10am

Blimey – from the Daily Mail too, a positive news post… However some of the comments keep up with the usual Daily Mail reader bigotry.

3. To your question: Maybe in America, not in Norway. There are enough stupid people in Norway as well, but not *that* stupid.

4. It’s not necessarily because of there sexual orientation maybe there are others who have done heroic acts and they’re just not as known about.

We need to ask if they’ve been reported to any major newpapers and if so then I would argue its probably homophobic.

5. These women certainly are to be commended, I hope they get some form of official recognition for their bravery.

1. I completely agree and wonder whether this medal might be appropriate:

1. I’d have thought so Stu, and I do hope they’re awarded it.

6. Burningworm 3 Aug 2011, 1:12pm

The telegraph constantly has me in an amazement!

Who needs a leftist news paper when the telegraph states it like is.

1. Burningworm 3 Aug 2011, 1:13pm

What happened!

Thumbs up to the telegraph!

7. Two amazing, wonderful women. What the story here doesn’t make clear, that I have read from other sources, was that they went back FOUR times, under fire each time to rescue more. To grab as many people as they could and run took nerves, to keep going back was an amazing and incredible act of courage. Their actions are under reported, that much is true. But the bigger picture may be that news needs footage, and these women may not be willing or able to talk yet. They saved 40, 40 kids alive because of them. But there were many that were not saved and I suspect that those who were there on that day are too devastated to mug for the cameras.

8. Maybe this wonderful couple were not after fame and kept it quiet themselves.

9. Spanner, I’m aware of that. I’m simply saying is, what if those who died had been right wing christians, the types we have in the UK looking for exemption in the delivery of goods and services, that’s all.

10. sylvatica 3 Aug 2011, 1:40pm

PhillipDeFranco commended their bravery on YouTube yesterday.

11. Andrea B. 3 Aug 2011, 1:42pm

Judging by the gibberish, distortions and deliberate lies I have read in the english language media about the Child Killer in Norway, I am not suprised that they are not covering the heroes of the day.

Well done that couple and the others who helped children escape from that island.

All those who helped people escape and who gave assistance to the children involved should be commended for there actions.

1. Surely it’s just as much a distortion to refer to the murderer as The Child Killer when his victims weren’t only children?

12. Paddyswurds 3 Aug 2011, 1:53pm

As was pointed out elsewhere what has the fact they were lesbians to do with what they done. Was the sexuality of other rescuers or participants made relevant. Great that they were so brave but leave their private lives out of it.

1. As has also been pointed out elsewhere, I think the issue is that some people are suspicious that this couple’s heroism wasn’t publicised because of their sexuality.

1. I entirely agree, Rehan

Surely, whether their sexuality is divulged should be a matter for the couple and not commentators – nonetheless their story needed to be told – sexuality disclosed or not

13. Actually the daily mail reported it yesterday

14. They were so brave and should be national hero saving so many.

I feel so sad and angry every story I hear about this. And I’m not even connect to the victims.

15. An amazing story and amazing women…but can I ask why their sexuality is relevant?

1. That’s the point. It shouldn’t be. The inference is that certain factions of the media feels that the sexuality is MORE important than their heroism, to the point of being less than palatable to their viewers. So they have not been given equal coverage. The issue at hand is whether that is true or not. Personally, I feel it is far too early to assess the matter.

2. It’s relevant, CCJ, because LGBTs need all the positive press we can get. When the day comes that we are no longer ridiculed, discriminated against, voted down and considered to be perverts with a mental disorder by a large portion of the world, it will cease to be relevant. In the meantime, a story like this might…just might…make some average dumb fvck voter think twice before he or she votes to deny us our equal rights.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 3:01pm

Yep, excellent comment, totally agree.

1. Sorry but I have to agree with “why is their sexuality important”…that’s like saying “two black people saved 40 kids” or “two hispanics saved…” You never hear “two heterosexual people saved” or “two white people saved..”. When the time come when the title reads “A brave couple saved…” then we will be where we need to be.

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Aug 2011, 9:49am

Because it looks as if these two brave women were specifically left out of the media because they were Lesbians.

It’s all very well getting holier than thou about this but the fault lies fully with the standard media, not the LGBT press, which I guess is an easy target for blame.

Yes in an ordinary dream world it shouldn’t matter but I get fed up with only religious people can do heroic acts when we all know that isn’t true.

You might ask why is their sexuality important when yes it isn’t but maybe you should be asking why have they been ignored purely because of their sexuality.

Clearly it’s a two way question and the fact the media choose to leave them out because of their sexuality makes it about their sexuality. That isn’t the Gay presses doing though.

Yet again the standard day to day media brings this into question but yet again it’s the LGBTQ community that is blamed of it, when in fact this kind of reporting has nothing to do with us.

2. Jock S. Trap 4 Aug 2011, 9:51am

However we do have the right to take this story up and publicise it.

Thankfully some of our other standard press chose to do so too.

Credit where is deserved, I’d say.

16. I didn’t know about this before reading it here.

Although relevant to young people, the story will never be covered on kids’ TV. My latest blog today should give an inkling of the reasons.

17. Delayed reaction much, PinkNews? This went viral days ago, it’s all over the social sites. Still, better late than never I guess – welcome to the club! lol

1. Also, fantastic women – they should be recognised by the state and publicly thanked for their selfless, life-risking behaviour.

18. I’m happy to know about this beautiful act of love and kindness. Congratulations,you are our heroes!!!!

19. The first few comments, chose to squabble among themselves concerning their views of pink news. Sad.
    Main stream news has shown short sighted bigotry, as a whole in lack of coverage of this couple risking their own lives in order to save the lives of others.
    Prayers/Blessings to you both.

20. Thank God, they are the real protectors of the children from that Norway Christian Terrorist.

21. chester chien 5 Aug 2011, 12:22pm

hi, I work as an anchor in local radio company in Taiwan.

I’m really moved by the story and would like to translate it into traditional Chinese and let more people in Taiwan know it.

I’m wondering if you can authorize me to make a translation, as well as the picture to publish on my blog and facebook.

Thanks a billion! My facebook name is Chester Megamanson

22. hmmmmmm????? they say gray haired lesbians are invisible!!!!!

23. i dont know why this didnt make a headline in any main stream news site..what those two women did was save lifes & they dont make the news..how sad.