Dolly Parton apologises to lesbian couple after Dollywood banned pro-gay marriage T-shirt

1. Pleased to see this response. Good for Ms Parton.

2. Jock S. Trap 2 Aug 2011, 2:27pm

Good for Dolly!

3. Although Dolly P may own the park, she isn’t incontrol of its day to day running – however, she should keep herself clued-up on policies and / or change of policies.
    If your name’s over the door, then you’re responsible for what goes on inside.
    She could do with a lesson from Bette Lynch!

1. There is an element of truth in what you say Barry, however, when you have a large business you can not be on top of every customer contact and some will go wrong. What is laudable in this instance is the itnegrity of the comment from DP and her consistent LGBT supportive approach (despite her faith)

Interesting interview with DP in this months Attitude btw

2. she should keep herself clued-up on policies and / or change of policies.

No she doesn’t. That is why she hired a general manager and team to take care of that. And I think somebody like her doesn’t have the time to manage a theme park.

I’m not sure about the shirt though. Should I be offended by it? No, of course not. Being offended for such trivial things is pretty childish. I mean that is why the lesbian was asked to turn her shirt inside out right? Because some people might be “offended” by it. Get a grip.

1. @Pepa

I take it you find nothing offensive?

4. You can bet this sort of thing won’t be happening again at Dollywood – I imagine she’s read them the riot act.

5. I would say Dolly will go through her staff at that park for a short cut. They won’t be doing that ever again. I knew Dolly wouldn’t stand for this. I knew from the start it was her staff’s fault. GO DOLLY! WE LOVE YOU! <3

6. Spiritbody 2 Aug 2011, 3:00pm

I dont think she needed to appologise. A T-shirt saying ‘Marriage is so gay’ IS a bit offensive. I dont like to use of the word gay in that context

1. Chris Park 2 Aug 2011, 4:09pm

That’s interesting, I didn’t read the slogan that way at all. I thought they were using ‘is so’ with the meaning ‘really is’. You see that in a lot of American shows, ‘That shirt is so your colour’, ‘That dress is so last year’, etc. So “Marriage really is (for) gay (people too).”

1. I read it like Spiritbody too. Check out the sneering comments on Youtube and the like, or many schools sadly. Anything crap is frequently described as “so gay”.
        Maybe the staff member saw it that way too. As we can see, it’s an ambiguous statement and not one that I personally would have chosen for an equal marriage rights t shirt.

2. I dont think she needed to appologise.

I don’t think she has to apologize for anything. She was not the one who made them turn her shirt inside out, just say you would look into it and move on.

Yes, a lot of gay activists say that using the word “gay” like “that shirt is really gay” is supposed to be “offensive.” That is silly. I would direct you to my post above:

1. Now thinking about it you make a valid argument, even though that wasn’t your intention, about how hypocritical gay sex activists really are.

They applaud Dolly for apologizing yet in other circumstances using that same phrase “______ is gay” it would have offended them. Hypocrites.

Thanks for pointing that out.

1. “They?” Some people applauded her for apologising, some liked the shirt, some didn’t, some thought she needn’t have apologised. Different opinions – because we’re all different people with different political views, different interests, different hobbies, different jobs, different priorities.

2. And give it a rest about the ridiculous “you’re all gay sex activists”. It’s stupid. Occasionally, you make a valid point but that’s lost under all the mad accusations so why do you do it? It means that no-one takes your points seriously. I do wonder where you’re coming from sometimes.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 9:31am

Well said, Iris.

2. pepa is obviously a straight sex activist and an attention seeking troll who is swamping the boards with his filthy scatter-gun accusations made against all and sundry.

3. What you never seem to understand is that if you read the comments on these threads rather than assuming you know what they say you would see not one person fully agrees with what someone else say’s in fact I agree with some people on some fronts and on others I strongly disagree its called being able to think for myself, unlike you who just listens to what the tea party tell you what to think.

2. Spanner1960 3 Aug 2011, 1:19pm

I thin Pepa has a totally valid point. The number of people on here that go off in fits of apoplexy and start foaming at the mouth about somebody making some throwaway gay comment, yet when the term “gay” is used in an identical manner on the front of some lesbian’s shirt, then all of a sudden it’s acceptable. I see double standards here.

7. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2011, 9:29am

Trouble is do we know if the person that asked them to change the t-shirt saw ‘so gay’ as a negative thing to say towards the LGBTQ community or just out of bigotry?

1. Exactly!

I myself and not sure what ‘marriage is so gay’ is supposed to mean! i work with young people and i activley challenge the use of the phrase ‘is so gay’ with it’s negative connotations.

Obviously t-shirts try to be ironic… maybe that was the goal?

i think its a cr@ppy slogan anyways but Good on Dolly for speaking out and saying they’l look into it.

8. Good on Dolly :) she’s always been on our side anyway.

9. Dolly is a Goddess and everything and anything she does is fine by me. I worship at the altar of Parton on a daily basis – she’s WONDERFUL