Coco Chanel was bisexual, new biography claims

1. FFS…More dross about non entitys, this one long dead. I knew the summer tended to be slow for news stories but this is getting tedious, Yesterday some bint called Richardson who suddenly remembered she has a tryst years ago when she was a teenager (who didn’t) just because she has something to flog and now this non story. Chanel coming out with a new line I shouldn’t wonder.

1. I don’t think you can call Coco Chanel a non-entity?

2. Paddyswurds 2 Aug 2011, 12:19pm

@CLINCH …
      ….Just noticed the change of tag when posting on another thread and have no idea how it happened but was not my doing.

2. Raventhorn 2 Aug 2011, 12:02pm

Coco Chanel is and was by far one of the most influential people of modern times. One of the examples I can think of off-hand is that the obsession with being tanned can be directly attributed to her. She got a sun burn, people copied her, and boom – multi-million pound industry was born.

1. Paddyswurds 2 Aug 2011, 12:28pm

@Raventhorn….
      ……”Coco Chanel is and was” Whatever about “was”, she certainly isn’t as she has been dead for forty years this year.

1. de Villiers 2 Aug 2011, 12:46pm

Her reputation lives on.

2. Raventhorn 2 Aug 2011, 12:53pm

I was speaking about the influence of a person, which hardly changes after a person has died. The next time you find yourself needing antibiotics, you might not immediately think of Alexander Fleming, but his influence is there, even though he’s been dead 56 years. If I were speaking of a living person I would have used ‘is’ exclusively.

1. Paddyswurds 3 Aug 2011, 10:37am

@Raventhorn…
          ……..”To the reader who finds pinknews ‘tedious’ – may I suggest one of the thousands of other websites available, or is there some unknown force compelling you you click links?” So now we have “dump and run” commentators telling regular readers what we should be doing. I was refering to the tedium of the story and not PN per se, and i will thank you to not twist my words or put words in my mouth, altho as a “dumper”, i doubt if you will ever see this comment.

2. Actually Raventhorn, I think you’ll find that although she’s generally credited with popularising the trend she wasn’t by any means the first to do so, just the most prominent. I think her achievements in helping liberate some women sartorially and, by example, professionally were far greater.

3. Her numerous liaisons, whose poignant and tragic details have eluded all previous biographers

Well, some of the details might have, but the stories certainly haven’t – from this rather cloying summary there seems to be very little other biographers haven’t already covered.

4. Old news, nothing new about that!

5. Everyone was bisexual and on drugs in the twenties. Except my granddad, but he was a baby.

1. Rather an overstatement, I think – it might have applied to some substrata of the very rich, but hardly to all people.

2. Dan Filson 3 Aug 2011, 12:53pm

Not in Wiltshire!

6. Just sounds a very interesting life.