Texas university gets gender-neutral toilet

1. Why would someone who needs to take medical injections (I presume this means diabetics) need to go to the toilet to inject.

I inject myself whereever I am sitting with my meal.

It’s not my problem if some people get freaked out by the sight of a syringe.

1. It sounds like you are being rather inconsiderate towards other diners.. I too am diabetic and would not think of taking my insulin at the dinner table if in a restaurant. even though I have a pen and not a syringe I still think that it is inconsiderate. It is not just like taking a tablet..

1. Stuart Neyton 28 Jul 2011, 5:45pm

i’m not sure “inconsiderate” is the right word at all. I’m diabetic and take insulin at the dinner table, or wherever i am (if in public).

I don’t see it as much different to breastfeeding in public. If you don’t like it, put a blanket over your head.

1. Dan Filson 28 Jul 2011, 6:07pm

I agree with Stuart – if people cannot cope with seeing others taking medication by injection, they should look away. Breast-feeding is a perfectly natural function and hard to connect with any erotic considerations. Most women are discreet about how they do it and it should not faze anybody.

2. I’ve been diabetic for over 40 years. I wouldn’t dream of skulking off to a toilet to inject myself. If diners find it offensive then maybe they can eat their meal in the toilet instead. I’ve also eaten a meal with a mother breast feeding her child at the table in front of me. It didn’t faze me.

I’m not a junkie!

3. I agree. I don’t expect people who need an injection to have to go to a toilet to do it. I imagine people would have to be looking very closely to notice someone with diabetes injecting themselves, especially with an insulin pen. They should mind their own business and not look to be offended.
        I wouldn’t expect my doctor to give me a vaccination in a public toilet and I don’t expect people who are unfortunate enough to have to give themselves an injection to have to go to one either.

1. Night Nurse 29 Jul 2011, 12:25pm

Some injections are more complicated than insulin, they may have multiple components that require mixing, hands may need washing etc etc

1. I still don’t think a toilet is the right place for that though. I don’t know what injections you’re talking about, but a family member had an extremely serious medical problem some years ago which required a lot of attention even when out and about (injections, mixing of fluids, attention to medical equipment, etc) and not once was that done in a toilet.

2. Some transgender people take hormone injections which they may wish to do in private. I don’t think that the university was referring to diabetics.

2. Stuart Neyton 28 Jul 2011, 5:48pm

Well done to them!

We had a campaign for these at Nottingham Uni and have only recently got them to come round to the idea. We should be getting them soon in all main university buildings too.

But any other organisation implementing GNTs is fantastic!

1. Dan Filson 28 Jul 2011, 6:09pm

What would be good would be if all toilet cubicles were of a minimum width as some are absurdly narrow. Coat hooks would be good too and a handrail to help people stand up again – not all people use disabled people’s toilets.

2. Yes, well done to them!

3. martyn notman 28 Jul 2011, 6:07pm

there was one where i used to work…and after a week so many men had piddled all over floor the two trans people went back to using ladies. incidentally they and all the other female staff had no problem beforehand with them doing this- got put in as company policy

4. Rich (original) 28 Jul 2011, 6:48pm

Medical injections…. I hope this is not a practice of paederasty for “disabled” homosexuals….. :)

1. Do not feed the troll.

5. I don’t get whats the problem. In many schools they have uni-sex restrooms, which are small single stalls that can be locked, usually big enough to fit a wheelchair.

6. concerned resident of E3 29 Jul 2011, 12:17pm

why is this even news? In Germany unisex facilities predominate in many places and there are a good few here in the UK. Frankly the whole segregation thing when there are cubicles anyway is a bit silly.

1. concerned resident of E3 29 Jul 2011, 12:19pm

should have read the article first. Gender neutral in addition to male and female. Crazy stupid if you ask me. Just why are people so precious about gender segregation anyway?

7. I hope this doesn’t become widespread over here, while I can see the positive side of gender neutral toilets, I’d really rather not have to use the same toilet as men. Some can be quite disgusting

8. “as well as LGBT people.”

Am I reading this wrong or do gay men and women need to use gender neutral toilets?

Gay men identify themselves as male, gay women are lsebians. There’s no question of gender involved – just sexuality and doesn’t doesn’t impact on which loo we use. What an odd piece of writing.

1. Got it..duh! It means unisex toilets

9. Lola Olson 29 Jul 2011, 2:55pm

I don’t necessarily think the term gender neutral in any way constitutes how I identify myself as gender queer.