Dolly Parton’s Dollywood bans ‘gay marriage’ t-shirt

1. Perhaps the park staff thought the message (‘marriage is so gay’) on her T-shirt was homophobic.

The term ‘so gay’ is a bit ambiguous in today’s society, as unfortunately it’s generally employed as a term of abuse.

2. Mike, Liverpool 27 Jul 2011, 12:18pm

Good point Dave. I doubt our Dolly has anything to do with homophobia. Once the complaint has been dealt with, I’d expect a couple of freebies in the post!

1. well, family sure as hell doesn’t have anything to do with being ‘gay’.

1. Jock S. Trap 27 Jul 2011, 2:39pm

I come from a family and have a family of my own, yet I’m 100% Gay, Rob…care to explain yourself?

1. Miguel Sanchez 27 Jul 2011, 4:24pm

Rob,
          I’m with Jock here, would you care to explain yourself? There are gay and lesbian couples that have children and that falls under the catagory of “family” unless there is a defination of the word family that I don’t know about.

I hope Dolly weighs in and fires that employee.

1. Jock S. Trap 28 Jul 2011, 8:04am

Trouble is Miguel we need to know how the employee saw “So Gay”.
            As said it is a term used in a negative way so would it be right to sack someone who was actually seeing it as that.
            We do need to be careful with this one, wait for the facts before making judgement.

3. I agree with the couple’s motives, but they could have chosen a better slogan for their t shirt. “So gay” is something that I associate with stupid insults and however ironically/cleverly/differently it’s used, I don’t think that slogan was very good at all.
    It’d have been interesting to see if they’d have been asked to hide the slogan if, for example, it had said something simpler and clearer without the reference to an insult.

1. I thought that too. Uniquely they seem to have found a slogan that has the potential to offend people on both sides of the gay marriage debate.
      Whether I’d go as far as blocking their entry to a theme park for such an ambiguous message is another matter,
      Reminds me of my nihilist friend’s t-shirt back at college which read “Nothing is cool”… can be interpreted one of two ways .

1. Dollywood didn’t block their entry to the park, just asked to turn inside out, whick they did.

2. Yes, that’s a point, specially as it’s a real surprise otherwise that anything associated with Dolly Parton would be overtly homophobic.

4. I can’t imagine Dollywood is homophobic it was probably just the one staff member who was homophobic.

5. It could be argued that the t-shirt was more of an anti gay t-shirt, than a pro gay t-shirt.
    The way that the word ‘gay’ is used in that particular sentence (‘Marriage is so gay’) has demeaning connotations, and I dont think we should be promoting that word as a negative. We should be promoting it as a positive.
    So the park may have been asking the lady to turn the t-shirt inside out because gay people themselves may find it offensive.
    The fact that she was a gay woman herself only confuses the issue. Why is she walking around with a t-shirt that could be classed as mildly homophobic?

1. I’m pretty sure the shirt was intended as sarcasm, probably meaning that hetero marriage is a bad thing (i.e. “gay” in today’s small-minded lingo). This same story was on Yahoo news this morning and they included a picture of the lesbian couple, with one of them wearing the shirt in question. The woman wearing it looked just like a young man to me, so I’m surprised the park officials could even tell they were lesbians at all! I suppose it could be that just one person working at the park is offended by the word “gay” no matter how it’s used. This park is located deep within the southern bible belt, you know.

6. Jimmie Wilson 27 Jul 2011, 3:31pm

I have one comment. If someone else would have worn an anti gay t-shirt, would that have been just as offensive as this one. My point there is a place and time for every thing, maybe this was not the place for this view. Dolly is one of the most giving people so I hope this is not used against her.

7. David in Houston 27 Jul 2011, 3:36pm

I’m not quite sure why the lesbian couple felt the need to politicize their visit to Dollywood. I’m wondering how they would have felt if a Christian organization had been wearing t-shirts that said “It’s Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve”. It’s basically the same thing, from the other side of the coin. Whether the park would let those people in is another story. No doubt, the park wouldn’t let someone wear a shirt that said, “Abortions kill innocent babies.”

The park has every right to make sure that their patrons aren’t confronted with messages that some might take offense to. Whether it’s on a t-shirt, tattoo, hat, etc.

When my partner and I go to Disney World, the last thing I’m thinking about is confronting everyone else with my personal viewpoint. It just isn’t the proper venue to be doing that.

1. Jimmie Wilson 27 Jul 2011, 4:56pm

David very well stated.

2. Commander Thor 27 Jul 2011, 5:05pm

Not true. One aims at granting civil rights at people who have been arbitrarily denied them. The other aims at denying civil rights of arbitraty people.

8. John Conway 27 Jul 2011, 3:46pm

Dollywood should refuse to get caught up in the argument as to whether “Gay Marriage” is right or wrong. They are in the family entertainment business.

The message on this shirt is clearly intended to be controversial, to elicit a response in a viewers mind, consciously or sub-consciously, with regards to the issue of gay marriage – an inherently “controversial” subject. It may also be construed to be a gay “slur” as in “He is Gay.” Either way, the saying “Marriage is Gay” could be seen by some visitors in the park to be offensive and therefore the park employee was correct in asking that the patron to remedy the situation.

Plain and simple!

1. Commander Thor 27 Jul 2011, 5:09pm

It was once controversial to suggest that interracial couples should be allowed to marry. I hope you wouldn’t condone banning “Marriage is so coloured.” because of your racism.

9. I think the employee acted correctly. I have a 5 year old who reads every shirt and every sign and I don’t thnk Dollywood is the place or time I would care to get into some detailed explanation of what that shirt meant and what is gay? Having to explain when it is ok or not to say the word gay. So, gay or not it was tasteless to wear the shirt in my opinion.

1. Commander Thor 27 Jul 2011, 5:08pm

I am not sure what you would tell your kid about “gay”. “Gay” in this case refers to couples where there are two men or two women. Marriage is denied to gay couples, so this woman, herself a gay woman in a relationship with her partner, is wearing a T-Shirt to tell people her freedom family life is being violated.

I sincerely hope you don’t take away your 5year old child’s innocence by telling him about the gross details of penetrative vaginal sexual relations when he asks what “marriage” means.

1. Agreed CT,
        Rae would obviously feel impelled to explain into the full sticky details of penile-vaginamy with a 5 yr old… if only a bigot was wearing a slogan tee-shirt reading “marriage is between one man and one woman”

10. I have a husband, two kids and a grand daughter and we are a family. Anyone saying differently…I pity the fool.

1. Ben Foster 27 Jul 2011, 7:46pm

why did you come on this site to tell us this?

2. Jock S. Trap 28 Jul 2011, 8:06am

I have a mother, a father, a brother, a sister, aunts, uncles, grandparents as well as a son…All indictate a family.

1. Jock S. Trap 28 Jul 2011, 8:14am

Oops forgot to mention a partner…. That’ll get me in the doghouse!

11. Terri Cloutier 27 Jul 2011, 8:10pm

That shirt could be taken both ways, for sure. But if it had been my son’s shirt that says “Legalize Gay,” I would be so pissed at Dolly. But I suspect Dolly would have said the same thing, too bad-Dolly seems so dear.

12. Dolly Parton, you have Many lesbian/gay fans, please check into actions of those in your employ. I am a fan of yours, country music in general.

1. Jock S. Trap 28 Jul 2011, 8:15am

And what if the employee saw this comment as a negative, rather than a positive?

13. Homophobia is like, soooooo gay!

14. Ban Dollywood, the Rednecks DizzyLand. Shame on Dolly, now we have to add her to the haters list.

15. A queer is a queer is a queer and no legislation can change that. Buncha freaks. If you freaks are so proud of s___kin d___ks and doing all other kinds of unnatural things to each other, why don’t you just move to San Francisco. Minorities should learn to keep their freakin mouths shut and stop trying to stuff their abominable crap down decent peoples throats.

16. Well done Dolly, you should be able to speak up for yourself. BTW cracking tits.