Justin Timberlake ‘stoked’ at New York gay weddings

1. Paul Clevett 26 Jul 2011, 3:58pm

Well I always liked him.

2. Dan Filson 26 Jul 2011, 4:14pm

Stumblingly inarticulate but sincere

3. Dan Filson 26 Jul 2011, 4:18pm

Stumblingly inarticulate but sincere. And he has hit the nail on the head by the reference to Federal measures. If folk wait for the USA states to legislate state by state it will take forever and be utter chaos with loads of different legislation. It will require federal legislation and that in turn will require clearance before or after from the Supreme Court as it is far from clear whether Congress has any locus on marriage or civil unions.

4. We love you Justin, thanks for the support, please do more, God knows we need your help to help us get our Civil Rights.

5. If the Defence of Marriage Act a.k.a DOMA, is struck down , it is quite possible that the Supreme Court could rule on federal recognition of same-sex marriage even though 5 of the 9 judgtes are conservative catholics. The full faith and credit clause of the constitutionwould be applied in which case, all states would have to recognise the same-sex marriage laws in the six states that have it. The 14th amendment apparently guarantees that the rights of the minority must be protected against the tyranny of the majority. I’m certain legalising same-sex marriage across the U.S. will be brought about the constitution.

1. David Myers 28 Jul 2011, 9:07am

Robert. I sincerely hope you are right about the conservative majority in the US Supreme Court, but I’m somewhat skeptical given their decision in Citizen’s United vs Federal Election Commission that corporations (even foreign corporations have the same rights as U.S. Citizens and cannot be limited in how much money they contribute to political campaigns in favor of political candidates, nor can they be required to report how much or for whom they spent their money. And let us not forget how the 5-4 conservative majority voted in Bush vs Gore in 2000 when they overuled the Florida Supreme Court and ordered the recounting of disputed ballots halted, thus making Bush President.

6. ….will be brought about by the constitution.

1. Dan Filson 26 Jul 2011, 6:29pm

I hope so but would not hold my breath. I have been told elsewhere on another thread on another site that a court (SCOTUS?) has ruled that the Full Faith and Credit clause does not apply to marriage, quite why I don’t know, so maybe there will be difficulty applying it to civil unions or gay marriages for which individual states legislate even if DOMA is struck down as unconstitutional or, less likely currently, is repealed by Congress

1. jamestoronto 27 Jul 2011, 8:38pm

DOMA is a federal statute the effectively only covers the definition of marriage insofar as a person’s or the couple’s relationship with the federal government. To date, the US federal government does not recognise any equal (same-sex) marriage conducted in any of its own states or anywhere in the world, for that matter. DOMA also specifically exempts those states which do not want the ‘full faith and credit’ principle to apply to equal marriage laws to do so with impunity (the basis of the Supreme Court ruling.) Even if DOMA gets overturned or repealed many “anti” states have already, or are in the process of, enacting state laws and/or state constitutional amendments to exempt themselves from this principle.The US Constitution says that all ststes respect the “public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state.” The ‘judicial proceedings’ has been interpreted to NOT mean ‘laws;’ in other words a state does not have to respect the laws of another state.

2. jamestoronto 27 Jul 2011, 8:43pm

Also, the verb ‘respect’ does not carry with any of the sense of legal requirement that the words ‘obey’ ‘adhere to’ or even ‘honour’ might. There are all ready rumblings about test cases to define the word ‘respect’ in the US Constitution.

7. Good sentiment but I swear he gets stupider every time I hear him talk.

8. Paddyswurds 26 Jul 2011, 5:37pm

It seems that some of the people commenting on these threads find it impossible to comment without being bitchy. Even those that make favourable comments seem to be pathologically unable to refrain from the bitchiness.
    Who the fcuk care if he is inarticulate, he is on our side and surely that is all that matters. Are y’all so perfect??

1. Dan Filson 26 Jul 2011, 6:30pm

No, and I did give him credit for striking the nail on the head about it requiring a federal resolution.

2. Do I usually get bitchy about anyone I occasionally make bitchy comments but very rarely.

I’ve seen some of your comments and bitchyness doesn’t even describe it.

1. Jock S. Trap 27 Jul 2011, 11:09am

Least you don’t feel the need to change your name to do so whenever you do Hamish!!

3. Jock S. Trap 27 Jul 2011, 11:11am

That comment coming from you, I couldn’t help but laugh out loud.

Cheers for the comedy.

4. edwarddwoodjr 27 Jul 2011, 4:03pm

You’re totally correct. Just another reason for homophobes to dislike GLBT people. How many people here have ever been interviewed and recorded verbatim? Must be nice to be right AND perfect.

9. Jock S. Trap 27 Jul 2011, 11:11am

Not a fan but Good on him!!

10. martyn notman 27 Jul 2011, 1:35pm

think i need my eyes testing, i was sure this said “justin timberlake stoned at gay wedding” !- that would either have been pretty funny or rather mean depending on meaning of stoned!

11. Gee thanks, Justin. Some of MY best friends are actually straight. Isn’t that wild? While I do appreciate support from any straight advocate, I don’t understand why they always have to justify their comments with that remark about how they have so many gay friends. It makes it sound like they’re still afraid that people will think *they’re* gay if they don’t include that special opt-out clause.

1. Jock S. Trap 27 Jul 2011, 2:53pm

Ah, yeah the classic “I don’t mind straight people, in fact some of my best friends are straight” ploy… (changing the words) Yes haven’t heard that for a while.

12. Dan,

If you re-read the article it was Mila Kunis who talked about federal recognition for same-sex marriage. You have credited Justin for something he didn’t say! Never mind, he’s cute and his heart is in the right place. More than can be said for the republican contenders for president…

1. Dan Filson 29 Jul 2011, 3:34pm

Indeed so. I was beguiled. So he is just a pretty face after all. And it’s Mila Kunis who is perhaps the stumblingly inarticulate one.

2. Dan Filson 29 Jul 2011, 3:50pm

Indeed so. I was beguiled.

13. jamestoronto 27 Jul 2011, 8:54pm

Why is it that each time some idiot comedian or singer spews some homophobic garbage we all jump – rightfully so – on his/her case and bemoan the lack of straight entertainers supporting us. Yet the minute one does, so many of us nit-pick at his words and pull apart everything he or she says. How many people would sound inarticulate if quoted verbatim or without a quick edit? I’d rather he be with rather against us, even if he mumbled.

1. David Myers 28 Jul 2011, 9:11am

Well said Jamestoronto. Perspective people. We are all fighting on the same side, arn’t we?

2. Good on you Justin Timberlake thank you for your support and good for you jamestoronto for saying what you said
      Perhaps if we all thanked the people that help us and not bitch about them, I do not like most of his music, and what is it with this word,” stoked” it means delighted why did he not just say that , but that said I do like his thinking