Convicted rapist ‘claims he’s gay to win asylum’

1. he should be killed he raped someone & he will commit the same crime again…he never raped a guy so how is he gay?.

1. However disgusting this mans crime is, calling for his execution is not the right way to go.

Also, whilst it may be picky of me, you don’t have to be gay to rape someone of the same sex, therefore you don’t have to be straight to rape someone of the opposite sex. He’s a vile rapist, that we do know.

1. Emma

I wholeheartedly agree that since rape is not a crime about sex, its a crime about power, thus a heterosexual man could rape a man and equally a homosexual could rape a woman.

It is for this man to prove that he is likely to suffer execution is he is deported. Whilst I concur that the regime in Uganda is horrific, bigoted and lacks humanity – I am not aware that the law currently states that someone can be executed for being gay.

Whilst I do not endorse anyone being sent anywhere where they may be executed – I lack any real sense of sympathy for this man – and it is for him to prove he is at risk

2. If he rapes then I don’t care what his orientation is he deserves to be sent back to Uganda with a bloody big pink plaque stuck to his chest saying “I’m gay and a rapist” and let him face judgement there.

3. He’s been found guilty of raping a woman, a crime which is abhorrent in every way. His claim that he is gay to remain in this country is absurd, and should be ignore with the derision it deserves.

1. But it won’t be ignored Daniel, you’ll have the liberals bleating for his asylum application to be accepted, idiots like Shami Chakrabarti will be going around with the begging bowl having collections to see he’s given a roof over his head here, cause he’s black innit.

1. Staircase2 22 Jul 2011, 9:14pm

This is racist bollocks

1. Not really sure that regarding a convicted rapist as ‘scum’ is racist!

1. ignore staircase, more men went down on him than with the Titanic- he’s one of those ‘I’ll take anything’ types.

2. the last line “cause he’s black innit” is what makes it racist and steve you’ve already proved you can only respond with comments about someones sexual goings on which makes me think somebody isn’t getting enough and is getting off on the ideas of others getting some

2. Agree with you, Steve. Send this man back to Uganda asap.

2. I must admit my gut feeling is that I agree. I don’t deny that everyone should be subject to the same legal checks and balances (including rights of appeal) as anyone. However, on any offence with significant custodial sentence where the person is not a UK citizen etc then there is an automatic deportation notice served. Now, if genuine circumstances occur which mean we should consider not deporting occur then they are free to appeal to an immigration judge *but* the test (as I understand it) is two fold – firstly, they must prove (as any other applicant for right to remain must prove) the reason the UK should consider right to remain is reasonable and in instances like this they must prove ii) that if considered for right to remain their remaining in the UK would not be considered to be against the best interests of society (I suspect this would be a level of proof difficult for most convicted rapists to prove – they must be perceived as not being in the public interest to have?)

1. Dan Filson 25 Jul 2011, 2:39pm

Although some of your prose is convoluted, I agree the thrust of what you are saying.

1. I am sorry that my prose is not as advanced as yours! I do try, but your superiority astonishes me!

4. Spanner1960 22 Jul 2011, 6:59pm

Yeah, nice try scumbag.
    Send him back, be sure to alert the Ugandan authorities first that he’s ‘gay’. Maybe that might stop others trying the same scam.

5. And that’s how just claiming to be gay/lesbian can not be sole proof for asylum seeking. Real persecuted gay people needs that very place those fraudsters are trying to get. So I don’t get why some confused folks say that it should be enough with just claiming to be, not further questions and proof required.

1. cause those not asking for further proof are bleeding heart liberals who think its offensive or racist or prejudiced to look into claims from asylum seekers. It should be enough that we throw the doors open to scumbags like this rapist.

1. Staircase2 22 Jul 2011, 9:20pm

Look – you’re twisting the whole debate
        Noone ‘gave him asylum to rape anyone’.
        Apparently he came here on a visitors visa. Noone was to know that he would end up raping someone.
        Personally I think he should either be tried here first and then returned back to Uganda once and if his claim for asylum has been properly vetted.
        It doesn’t help anyone for you to be confusing the two issues.
        I also don’t think it EVER a good idea to report on stories like this before they come to trial – that only ends up making it harder to give everyone involved proper justice.

1. He raped a woman then bragged about it on facebook so is not gay. Deport back to Uganda with no leave to appeal. This kind of creep makes it harder for genuine gay asylum to get a fair hearing.

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Jul 2011, 8:57am

Raping someone makes his asylum claim void, it should not even be considered.

1. @Jock S Trap

Its an automatic deportation notice

He (as I have said above) is entitled to appeal but has a much stronger case to prove and I doubt many (if any) rapists could prove their remaining in the UK was conducive to the public good

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jul 2011, 8:34am

I’d prefer a law like the Australian Visa law, you can appeal but it has to be from another country.

This law should most definitely apply to criminal immigrants.

Deport first, appeal after.

3. Jock then if he was gay he may already have been executed or lynched before he could appeal properly. I don’t think this guy is gay and rape is a very emotive subject but we have to deal with him the same we’d deal with anyone claiming asylum for the sexuality and a rapist after.

4. Jock S. Trap 25 Jul 2011, 12:08pm

“If he was Gay”… why’d he rape a woman.

No appeals just return to sender… or anywhere that’ll have him but away from the UK and it’s residents.

5. I’m not saying he is gay or not but we in britain don’t do capital punishment, Thanks god, therefore we can not send someone off to die just the same as we cannot kill them ourselves.

6. Firstly in terms of the rape his sexuality is irrelevant – rape is a crime of power not of sexuality … he could be gay and rape a woman equally as much as a hetero man could rape a man

Secondly – he has been convicted of the rape – so unless he has grounds to appeal the conviction then I struggle to see grounds that make his remaining in the UK conducive to the public good.

Finally, of course there are countries which we should not deport back to eg Somalia but Uganda does *not* impose a death sentence on gay people currently, and unless they specifically have evidence they are likely to be particularly singled out by the justice system in Uganda then I struggle to see grounds (even humanitarian) for him to remain in UK. If he is a convicted rapist – we need to consider the humanitarian conditions of the survivor of his offence and of others he may perpetrate offences against

7. However Stu you have to think about not only the legal ramifications to him but the lynch mob he may come back to or the torture he may get at constant abuse by his fellow Ugandans.

8. Jock S. Trap 27 Jul 2011, 8:43am

I guess it’s not hard to see why others see this country as a soft touch.

Maybe if we started making sure people knew if they came here and committed crimes and found guilty they automatically are deported after their sentence, no appeals.

Trouble is, with some of you being so soft on crime and people like this you damage our reputation and by doing so allowing this creep to appeal you deny several others who have every right to be be here that are genuine and wanting to contribute to society.

9. @Hamish

Ok lets look at it a different way.

If his reason to seek right to remain in the UK was different eg he had been a political campaigner for democratisation in Uganda then would we accept him staying? I doubt it. He has been convicted of rape and his remaining in the UK is not conducive to the public good. In the same way his sexuality is largely irrelevant – his remaining here is not in the interests of the UK population.

6. He could be bi, but far more likely he’s just a sociopath clutching at straws and giving both gay people and asylum seekers a bad name in the process.
    The Daily Mail must’ve thought all their Christmasses had come at once when he pulled that stunt.
    For once I’d say loosing this appeal having just bogusly outed himself and getting deported back to Uganda would be just desserts.

1. So a rapist tries claiming asylum here and you take a dig at the Mail, you seem like a balanced person.

1. Do I require an excuse to take a dig at the Mail?

1. I just read any newspaper and take a dig at the mail I can even guess there news titles before I see them its all very predictable.

1. My point precisely… If the Daily Mail stopped trading in “asylum seekers under the bed” style headlines and backhanded obituaries to gay celebs telling us it was their homosexuality that did them in, I might just cut them more slack.

7. DJ Sheepiesheep 22 Jul 2011, 7:59pm

Dead men can’t rape. Fingers crossed then.

8. I hope the “source with knowledge” testifies against him and that his claim is highly scrutinised. ALL asylum claims should be thoroughly checked, and this one seems to be rather suspect (understatement). Anyway, as someone mentioned above, criminals, of whatever sexuality, shouldn’t be granted asylum anyway.
    In my opinion, it’s always the innocent, law-abiding immigrants that get deported while the scum stay here. Easy targets, I suppose.

1. Staircase2 22 Jul 2011, 9:22pm

‘scum’….?
      You lot are sounding remarkably like News of The World journalists!
      The ‘right’ way is that someone who is convicted of a crime has a fair trial and then what happens next is decided on the outcome of that trial.
      There is a very good reason why we have a notion of innocent until proven guilty…
      Its to stop people like you lot baying for bloody before someone’s even been proved to be guilty of something….

1. If I understand the article correctly he’s been convicted of rape after confessing it all over facebook, and then to add insult to injury he puts in a bogus asylum claim on the basis of being gay when all the evidence points to him being a heterosexual rapist. Seems like the jury already did their bit.
        What kind of proof were you waiting for?

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Jul 2011, 8:59am

Indeed, he has already been convicted so he is already guilty.
          Time now to send him oh his way and out of any persons harms way.

2. opps! yeah – sorry – apologies – I had missed that bit.

2. He has already been convicted of the rape. So calling him ‘scum’ is actually a restrained understatement. However, in order to prevent deportation he is now claiming to be gay. Dismiss his application for asylum and deport immediately. He should be convicted for abusing our legal system.

3. what would you call a rapist if not scum staircase?

1. er….how bout ‘rapist’?

2. Ben Foster 23 Jul 2011, 6:22am

I don’t know why you’re being so hostile, Staircase. This man HAS been given a fair trial. He is scum. He raped somebody and then used ‘gay’ as a get out of jail free card. He has no respect for women, for gay people, or for the law. He sees al three as tools to twist to his own advantage. He is even using the ‘bleeding heart liberals’ who will sympathise simply because he is an ethnic minority who they wrongly imagine as a victim.

I don’t know how scum can be better defined than that.

And calling people racist for pointing all that out isn’t good enough.

3. Spanner1960 23 Jul 2011, 8:55am

I suspect the point is, he has been convicted of rape, so would probably prefer the cushy environment of a British prison than the sort of place one might expect in Uganda. The usual procedure though is that foreigners do their time here and are then booted out of the country on release.

4. You guys just don’t get staircase, he’s one of those fluffy types who likes to appear all liberal and ‘why can’t we all just get along’ and would sooner criticise the gay community who are fighting for our rights than take a stand and say yeah this rapist is scum. I wonder how fluffy he’d be if it happened on his doorstep.

1. lol you really are an arse…
        and you seem remarkably interested in me from one comments board to the next – what exactly is that about?

9. Lyuba Tereshchenko 22 Jul 2011, 10:55pm

Too bad PinkNews doesn’t allow Cyrillic alphabet on here. English isn’t enough for me to truly express the contempt I have for this individual.

Get him the feck out of here! He’s a rapist; get rid of the scum!

10. If you have a criminal record (for a an offense that would be considered illegal in the uk ie. not speaking out against a despotic regime or being gay in a country where homosexuality is illegal etc.) you should not be allowed asylum and you should not be allowed a visa (I know this guy committed the crime after the visitors visa).

Also if you commit a crime whilst in the uk you should be deported immediately after serving your sentence with no right to appeal.

1. Hm, your first point is at least problematic. If their country has a corrupt judiciary then they might have been convicted wrongly.

1. Yes Carka I agree but I’m not drafting a white paper. Everything would have to be looked into and there would have to be safe guards in place to ensure that people who come from countries with known corrupt judiciaries have the right to try to prove corruption.

However at the moment the immigration system is failing and is giving more ammunition to right wing lunatics to bad mouth and slur all immigrants. It’s breeding mistrust, promoting misinformation and out and out racism and is dividing our society.

2. Rich (original) 25 Jul 2011, 12:20pm

I am against the deportation in case like rape: castrate the bastard!

1. I don’t see how having a convicted rapist wandering around with no testicles actually helps anyone…

2. Jock S. Trap 27 Jul 2011, 8:45am

Meanwhile the search, I see, is still on to find Rich’s (unoriginal) deported brain cell…

11. Better of dead. He’s just scum in the gene pool.

12. See how ambiguous these laws are. Any one can apply using the “I am gay”. And no one stops this racket.

Genuine gay and lesbians are going to be caught up in this mess if it is no addressed soon.

1. I don’t see how you think that ‘noone stops this racket’

If the evidence is as clear as you seem to think it is then I very much doubt that the panel deciding his case will be convinced that he should be given leave to remain.

Similarly, currently, enormous amounts of gay and lesbian asylum seekers are thought to be unfairly turned away by UK Immigration. There is a process going thru at the moment as I understand it to start counting the numbers of gay asylum seekers so as to gauge how effective and how fair the current system really is.

1. You seem to be contradicting yourself there. Clearly the system doesn’t work at the moment if, according to you, “enormous amounts of gay and lesbian asylum seekers” are unfairly treated by UK immigration, so why would anyone trust it to deport this man?
        That was my point. The UKBA often refuse entry to those who SHOULD be allowed in, while those who break the rules are allowed in and allowed to stay. The refusal of people in need who have done no harm and should be allowed to enter and stay in the UK is what gets to me.
        The immigration system is in disarray so I don’t have much faith in it working properly.

13. Jock S. Trap 23 Jul 2011, 8:53am

He has committed a crime and does not deserve to be in this country. Full Stop.

Move him on, it doesn’t have to be Uganda but get him out of the country and away from women.

14. I know this man and he is not gay!! He has been found guilty in a court of law for what he done. Just hope his human rights dont be overshadowing the victims

15. I said this years ago about immigrants/foreigners wanting to live in this country by claiming they are gay when really they aint…..god, i hate being proved right.
    This piece of SCUM should be returned to his country after he has served his sentence and should NOT be allowed to remain.
    During his time in prison, he will see what it is like for a rapist and by claiming he is gay will make his time a lot harder in the jail and quite rightly so.
    This man is scum and should be treated like such.
    Too many foreigners/immirgarnts are now playing the gay card to live in this country, when clearly they are not gay and by god are wee a soft touch….
    The UK/Scots goverments should wake up and smell the coffee in instances like this and just deport them back to counrty of origin……i think its about time the human rights act was looked at again, esp in relation to matters such as these.

1. Well to be fair we don’t know that he isn’t gay – see above …

But – I agree that deportation is appropriate and can not think of any way he could argue that his remaining in the UK is conducive to the public good in any appeal to an immigration judge.

Last point – Immigration is a matter for the UK government – so Scots government whilst an interested party would have no decision making powers.

16. If he is lieing about being gay (which does seem the most likely), then it is disgusting and he should be deported. However if he is a homosexual (I don’t know whether it’s possible, I have no knowledge on the topic) or even if it had turned out that he had raped a man, I don’t think because he raped someone should be the sole reason to deport him. You would be effectively sentencing him to death and while what he did was horrible and disgusting, I personally wouldn’t say that was enough to call for his death, a good few decades in jail but not death.

1. Dan Filson 25 Jul 2011, 2:43pm

If you commit serious felony in this country as an illegal overstayer or whatever you must expect deportation as you have abused your period in this country.

1. Absolutely, unless there are very unique and exceptional circumstances – and I struggle to think of any

17. Rich (original) 25 Jul 2011, 12:16pm

After four years of imprisonment, when he will be released, he should be punished again, however, without public involvement – privately with complete castration! There should be no forgiveness for such terrible creature!!!

1. Rich, I wholeheartedly agree. If the UK government saw fit to do it to one of greatest mathematicians and code breakers of WW2, then they can do it to a rapist who bragged about it on his VICTIMS Facebook page. A healthy dose of hormones to chemically castrate him is just what he needs. Or alternatively, give me a pair of housebricks and a soundproof room and I’ll do the job for you.

1. Dan Filson 25 Jul 2011, 2:42pm

Neither chemical castration nor physical violence by a self-appointed vigilante is the answer here. He should serve his sentence and on its completion be deported

1. Jock S. Trap 25 Jul 2011, 2:54pm

Exactly Dan!

2. This is complete reactionary nonsense.

As I understand it there is no guarantee that castrating someone would stop them from raping someone again.
      It only makes sense in the knee-jerk world of reactionary stupidness.

These things always play out well amongst people who tend to prefer the emotive response rather than the reasoned and thought-thru.

18. I think there is enough evidence to prive he is not gay.

Deport him back to Uganda where he can rot. I would suggest informing the Ugandian authorities he claimed to be gay after he arrives home.

19. I know this guy was elsewhere when it occurred, so this doesn’t necessarily pertain to him, but I can’t help wonder how many otherwise non-violent type gay men in Uganda have raped a woman purely out of peer pressure/to prove the weren’t “gay”. :(

1. That is actually a valid point.

Personally like I said earlier I don’t think any case should be discussed before it is heard – it just hampers the ability of people to receive a fair hearing.

Although earlier I mistakenly thought that he hadn’t yet been to trial regarding the rape charge it still stands for the Immigration hearing.

This endless (and uninformed) speculation about what he is and what he isn’t doesn’t actually do anything at all to forward the debate.

1. The crime of rape happened here in the UK not Uganda. He was not being acused of being “gay” there was no peer pressure on him.

He wouldnt have came out of his fabricated false closet if it wasnt for the courage and conviction of his victim to stand up and say this is wrong.

He would have still be living his life as a hetrosexual male. Its just sad as he is adding more scrutinty to genuien GLBT asylum cases

20. Easy enough to prove or disprove one way or another

21. Deport this scumbag!

22. Does he have a pussy? Only, that would help his case.

1. how would that help?