Married butcher puts up sign to combat gay rumours

1. I’d do him!

1. u sad person! do you think this is funny? some gay people never learn! it is for stances like yours that we all get the tag! t.w.a.t

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Jul 2011, 3:13pm

No it’s not, it’s only the people that take any notice.

Luckily most people don’t.

2. whatjamiedid 20 Jul 2011, 6:56pm

I laughed, because I thought the same :)

Now lighten up everyone, hes hardly molested him.

3. Was just thinking the exact same thing :P

4. I think that JD wrote the above carelessly and thoughtlessly on the spur of the moment but in so doing he revealed his shallowness.

JD saw that no one had yet made a Comment and that he would be the first and so, without seeing how the mainstream would react to the story, he rapidly and foolishly volunteered his unthinking and rather revealing gut reaction.

People like JD do not represent most gays and lesbians at all when their prime response to a story concerning any individual stems from whether they think that individual sexually desirable or not.

All one can say is: watch out JD, for old age will be upon you soon, if it isn’t already creeping your way, and when that happens you may be the object of the scorn of shallow-thinkers such as yourself!

At that time, when you are the subject of scorn and absolutely no one will want to “do you”, you will yearn for some “liberal twits”, as you put it, to care for you.

1. Over analyse much Douglas? I’d do that butcher too, does that make me and the rest of the guys who said the same shallow? Lighten up ffs.

1. “I’d do that butcher too, does that make me and the rest of the guys who said the same shallow?”

Frankly, yes. Yes, given the context, your “I’d DO that butcher” indicates that you too are shallow.

Consider suitability of time and place.

The context of this article is not the same as your Saturday night down at the local pub just before last orders when you’ve had a skinful and there’s only one thing on your mind.

Every situation in life is not an opportunity for you to appraise either the situation or the people involved by considering first and foremost whether you would or would not have sex with that person.

1. Cheers for that Douglas Fairwanks Jnr. I and the others on here who said we’d ‘do’ the butcher appreciate your policing all comments and draining the message board of any and all humour. You’re not an undertaker by trade are you?

2. Take a chill pill I say alot of people are hot that doesn’t mean that I don’t care about there situation you ever fancied a famous person same kinda thing isnt it

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Jul 2011, 3:12pm

This is cruel and Brian Fields clearly is being persecuted for being successful.

It is the people responsible for these rumours that are clearly homophobic to use our community in such a negative way.
    This is shameful.

Why does this man, his wife and his children deserve homophobic bullying just because someone else has a grudge?

Good on Mr. Fields for standing up to this although I do feel sorry that he and his family for being subject to schools yard bullying which can damage lives whoever it is thrown to.

One tiny little detail though Mr. Fields we don’t choose just as much as you don’t.

3. Miguel Sanchez 20 Jul 2011, 3:13pm

I feel for his children who are being bullied. The schools need to stop that.

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Jul 2011, 3:16pm

Indeed, time for the schools to put into action there plan to deal with homophobic bullying.

Are they actually doing so though? or just avoiding?

Guess it’s why people , no matter how young, need to learn that Gay people are a normal part of society.

4. Appalling! At least Mr. Fields now knows what bullying feels like as well as discriminatory.

Jock….and we’ll be even more normalised if marriage equality were legal. Isolating us under a different legal union only compounds discrimination and bullying, a by-product of treating an entire group of people differently. Prime targets for bullying and harassment. Not even StonewallUK has realised that there is a direct connection with full equality and bullying.

1. @Robert

I may be misreading your comment but your phrase “At least Mr Fields now knows what bullying feels like …” suggests you endorse this salicious rumour mongering and that only gay people tend to be bullied …

Neither are true

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Jul 2011, 3:49pm

I didn’t get that from Roberts comment at all, Stu. I got quite the opposite.

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Jul 2011, 3:47pm

Indeed Robert, I agree!

5. Steven White 20 Jul 2011, 3:54pm

I’m sorry J D but your comment is not really appropriate or respectful of the guy’s feelings or predicament is it?
    I wouldn’t want to be in his position at all and I send the family my best wishes.
    I wonder if this situation would reportable as a hate incident?

1. auntie babs 21 Jul 2011, 1:18am

my understanding is that it is. hetrosexuals are also protected uhder the equalties act from homophobic bullying.

6. Hey Brian Fields,
    Do us a favor and focus on the bulling and not the rumor. What you’ve done has done nothing to help out other children.

7. J D only expressed in normal slang that he found the subject of this article attractive. I don’t think it expresses either empathy or apathy for the article. Jx

1. “J D only expressed in normal slang that he found the subject of this article attractive” hmm!? so there is no sexual inuendo in the “I’d do him”? please

1. Oh please is that really important? Seriously lighten up ffs

8. Sounds like his village is full of c–ts. Anyone who brings kids up in that type of environment with a load of half witted village idiots gurning and pointing the finger should accept small localities breed smaller minds.

1. Ah yes, those much-admired “community values” we who live in cities are so often told we lack. Fortunately, in this instance!

2. I come from Hebden Bridge a small town that is very open minded. A few sheltered villages hold that view not all.

1. There are always exceptions, of course. Isn’t Hebden Bridge famous for its unusually large Lesbian population?

1. Yes it is but is not alone in being open minded about people who are different.

2. I once heard someone describe Hebden Bridge as being “like Brighton, only rubbish.”

Despite only living in Halifax (and going to sixth form in Mytholmroyd), I’ve never actually been there, but almost everyone I’ve ever spoken to that came from Hebden Bridge have been open-minded and tolerant.

Living in West Yorkshire, it annoys me when people claim that we’re less civillised or tolerant that, say, people living in London. It’s not the case at all and is rather offensive when almost everyone I know from the more rural villages are such pleasant, sympathetic people.

9. Stu, no, I most certainly do NOT endorse the rumour one iota. In fact it disgusts me that gays, more than any other group, are the subject of slurs, jokes and innuendo and society accepts it. It proves that homophobia is more than alive and well in the UK when people resort to gay baiting to denigrate a straight man. They use it because they know it’s arguably the worst thing to say to put down a straight male. It’s the kind of tactic the Daily Mail uses, offencive and hurtful.

Nor do I imply that straights aren’t the subject of bullying, far from it. You have indeed misread my statement.

Thank you, Jock.

10. Poor man he has some enemies like most people these day, most likely Christians who have gone crazy in an attempt to destroy gays any way they can. Some poor suckers are going to get caught in the cross fire or he is gay and the Christians are going after him and his family, they even use the Christian police to help them make gay people look bad and even run people like him out of a town, really they have gone that crazy. I have seen it happen. The Christians are using psychological war fare on people. Google psychological warfare to see how it is used. It is true being successful and smart etc. can also get you persecuted by these people who learn how to use psychological warfare.

1. de Villiers 20 Jul 2011, 6:08pm

That sounds like a bit of Christian paranoia. It’s probably no more than non-religious related gossip.

2. Steve,
      You arer taking the mickey, aren’t you?

11. This is an outrageous situation. It’s actually irrelevant whether this man has had a gay affair or not. The fact that his neighbours are schooling or condoning their children in prejudice makes them beneath contempt.

12. me saw chomping on um big meaty sausage

1. jamestoronto 20 Jul 2011, 7:03pm

STUPID COMMENT

13. Grow up you liberal twits

1. look at what you write and then re-consider who needs to grow up

14. jamestoronto 20 Jul 2011, 7:16pm

I doubt if there are lot of people out there – gay or straight – who has not the target or victim of this kind of vicious and baseless gossip. I have and it HURT. So many lost friends (or so they said) and too much irreparable damage. My heart goes out to this guy and his family for having to wrongly bear this burden that so many of us at one time has endured.

As for “now knows what bullying feels like” sounds like he is somehow to blame for all. Well I don’t know what it is like to be shot but I’ll be damned if I am going to go out and take a bullet just so I know what it feels like.

15. That’s new! I have never heard of people being called ‘gay’ because they were successful in business! What a strange world we live in!

16. JackAlison 21 Jul 2011, 8:59am

lol
    well business musn’t b that good if he’s prepared 2 go 2 these lengths. He’ll prolly do a Jason Donovan or Tom Cruise and take a newspaper 2 court. I’m like
    GROW UP!!!

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Jul 2011, 9:19am

Is that hole in your chest where your heart used to be?

1. JackAlison 22 Jul 2011, 8:30am

but i think ur heads up ur arse
        substitute the word ‘gay’ n his complaint for ‘n*^%$r’ or ‘jew’ and ul c how outrageous it is 2 even make up such a sign and post it in the window.
        My favorite bit at the end of the plea is that he has nothing against gays.
        oh…pleeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1. Jock S. Trap 27 Jul 2011, 12:48pm

Do get off that high horse dear, it doesn’t suit you.

17. Dan Filson 21 Jul 2011, 9:38am

I hate to provide a link to the Daily Mail but this coverage seems fair and makes it quite clear to my mind. I cannot think why people would spread a false rumour. It suggests gay people are attracted to wholly straight ones which in my experience is not the case.

1. Dan, with respect, you may be unaware of how things are out in the shires, in small villages, towns, and rural communities. In such places I can assure you that a square married man cannot afford to be seen to get along “well” or “very well” with a gay or two, for then, most certainly, eyebrows WILL be raised and tongues will begin to wag.

You’ve at least seen Little Britain’s “I’m the only gay in the village” sketches, so you must have some notion of life in the valleys of Wales. Well, it’s much the same in the Yorkshire Dales and all other such places. It’s a completely different world from metropolitan cosmopolitan London.

On the same note, of the fews gays there are in these isolated places most of them are DESPERATE for other gay men and this often explains why their first thought on seeing a good-looking man is “I’d do HIM”.

18. People where I live think I am straight. I must put a sign up to stop these terrible rumours. Who would want to be straight?
    Stupid homophobic butcher in a stupid homophobic northern town with stupid homophobic wife being bullied by stupid homophobic kids at school. Why would anyone feel persecuted and put a sign up in their window for being called gay?

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Jul 2011, 12:06pm

OMG put your tiara away love!

2. Eddy - from 2007 22 Jul 2011, 1:32pm

“Why would anyone feel persecuted and put a sign up in their window for being called gay?”

Answer: because kids at school can be extremely, extraordinarily, and damagingly cruel towards the children of someone who is rumoured to be “a queer”.

19. If being gay wouldn’t be a stigma this wouldn’t be a problem. Here is where the LAW comes in. I came out when 33 with 2 kids. My son fight bullies at school over offences. And he won. That’s my boy. Some people only understand backfire.

20. Why does Pinknews believe only heterosexuals can marry? Very strange that a gay site doesn’t know, that “married” doesn’t say a thing about a persons sexuality!

1. In the UK it does as it is against the law for 2 people of the same sex to be married