Video: Google+ allows users to hide gender

1. Andrew Wells 14 Jul 2011, 1:41pm

Whilst I do think it’s good that users can make their gender private, the fact that one still has to pick either male or female, regardless of how private this information may be, does suck. I would like to choose a non-binary identity, please.

1. You can – the options are Male, Female and Other. Not a huge range admittedly but better than most places.

2. I disagree.
      You can keep everything else private, but your gender is something else.
      This is equality run a muck. There is no reason to hide your gender, because being gay revolves around gender, period.

1. But I would say that on the internet, unless you are on a dating website, you should not reveal too much any way, especially to google who is notorious for stealing personal information.

1. Staircase2 17 Jul 2011, 1:19am

So which is it? That ‘you can keep everything else private, but your gender is something else’? or that ‘unless you are on a dating website, you should not reveal too much anyway’…….?
          While I value you actually taking the time to think things thru for a change and potentially to change your mind – this is just a swing from one to the other – which suggests that you type things without actually thinking about them and then think about it afterwards – which is not good….

2. Jock S. Trap 15 Jul 2011, 9:10am

“I disagree.”

Oh what a surprise….Not!

2. Facebook already does the same and has for some time – you have to choose male or female, but can have it hidden so you are referred to as ‘they’ rather than ‘he’ or ‘she’.

Using ‘they’ as first person pronoun, is no longer ‘grammatically questionable’ it is acceptable according to dictionaries and leading English language experts, the context determines whether they refers to one or more people.

3. Well, I wander what will come out in France and french speaking countries : we don’t have gender neutral pronouns… The way our language is made makes it obvious whether you are a man or a woman.
    Apart from that, I think hiding everything in a profile makes me ask one question : why have a profile ?

4. Andrew Wells 14 Jul 2011, 2:35pm

I wish all languages were like Turkish. Turkish grammar is totally gender-neutral – “he”, “she” and “it” are all referred to as “o”. So linguistic issues regarding gender identity never arise in the first place.

5. You’re male or you’re female, XX or XY there are no other options – get over it.

1. Hodge Podge 14 Jul 2011, 9:37pm

WELLLLLL… I’ll stick to plain genetics here since the more philosophical side of gender goes over my head but you’ll want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XX_male_syndrome.

The whole penis/vagina thing is a pretty arbitrary way we evolved to reproduce rather then some deep important metaphysical classification.

2. burningworm 15 Jul 2011, 4:41am

It is true that we do not choose our sex but we can choose our gender.

3. “You’re male or you’re female, XX or XY there are no other options – get over it.”

If this is all you have by way of a scientific remark, you need to go back to school. I’m sure you think its all like an early bird menu, with limited “options”, but seriously, do you expect the rest of us to be as uneducated?

4. Jock S. Trap 15 Jul 2011, 9:11am

Ahmad

Get educated.

5. Staircase2 17 Jul 2011, 1:21am

actually you’re not….necessarily.
      I just wish that people would engage their brains before they engage their programming.
      Just because you’ve been told something is true doesn’t actually MAKE it true…

6. Hodge Podge 14 Jul 2011, 9:39pm

Anyway this is nice but Diaspora is still worth waiting for if you value privacy and don’t want your information sold to advertising companies. Not to mention leading your whole social life on one company’s website

7. Jock S. Trap 15 Jul 2011, 9:10am

This is good, progress is always good to see.