Sainsbury’s apologises for transgender toilet ban

1. Chris Park 12 Jul 2011, 2:39pm

I hope Sainsbury’s go further than a letter to the affected woman and set up some trans awareness training for their staff. Otherwise this may well happen again. So many people simply don’t understand trans issues.

1. Exactly training must be provided people can’t be expected to just understand trans issues you have to give them the correct training

2. Why should they apologise? This person is NOT a woman, so why s/he/it should use women’s toilet? A very simple question. The decision of the Sainsbury’s supermarket was absolutely right and, as I said before, stop moaning about nothing!!

1. Reported troll

1. Also reported.

2. Another Hannah 12 Jul 2011, 5:21pm

whatever you think sotom. The LAW says she must be treated as a woman. Have you no respect for the law? How would i tbe if I disregarded laws just because I didn’t like them? The name for somone who does that is a criminal…..derrrr…….really it’s like dealing with the mentally challenged in this country.

3. Staircase2 12 Jul 2011, 6:30pm

well for something which is (allegedly) ‘about nothing’ you seem to be doing a good percentage of ‘moaning’ about it yourself…lol
      How bout:
      1) what they did was illegal
      2) what they did was highly insensitive
      3) what they did highlights the need for better staff training
      4) who are you to decide whether this person is or isn’t a woman when her doctors clearly think she is?
      oh yeah: and 5) you’re clearly an arse…

3. Another Hannah 12 Jul 2011, 5:23pm

The laws says she must be treated as a woman, and I thought Sainsbury’s would want to behave with respect for the human being. I certainly would. Sainsburys are usually good, it was probably just a member of staff that was a bit dim.

1. Sainburys good? you gotta be kidding , i’ve walked round sainsburys with trans friends , the staff were nudge nudge wink wink, giggling like idiots, you could even hear “look at the trannys”.

4. No, I completely agree with sottom. This person isn’t a woman, they are transgender, this does not actually change their gender! Yes, the staff were rude about it and if I were working there I would not have turned a blind eye to it, but this person shouldn’t really have been using the female toilets in the first place. This whole situation has been blown way out of proportion.

1. I’d like to apologise for this comment, I was mistaken, I thought that the women in question was transvestite and not transgender, I understand that the law says they are to be treated as women, but again, I thought this topic was about a man dressed as a women who was offended about not being called a women, thats what my original comment was about. Sorry.

2. Another Hannah 12 Jul 2011, 5:41pm

Considerable research, and thought by extremely smart and highly paid people says she is a woman. The law was changed accordingly. The LAW says she is a woman, if you don’t obey the law you are indulging in criminal behaviour. You are so dim you are making yourself a criminal you fool. They really need to open the institutions back up for these people, to keep them out of the way of decent folk.

3. You’re quite wrong. I don’t know the full facts of the case, but the person is reported as being transgender and not a transvestite, so I’ll accept that fact and assume she’s living and presenting as a woman full time in transition. In which case, the law says that she must be treated as a woman. If she has a Gender Recognition Certificate then, legally, her gender IS changed.

1. Oh, your apology beat me to it! Serves me right for starting to write a comment then going to cook dinner!

1. Sophie Hawthorne 2 Aug 2011, 2:59am

Yet again the ridiculous and confusion creating Trans gender tag causing another person to be misgendered. When are LGBT people going to realise that being TRANSSEXUAL has nothing to do with sexuality, cross dressing or transvestism! Transsexuality has nothing to do with transing ones gender and this is what causes the confusion and stupid people claiming that we are not men/women.

5. Many places have unisex cubicles these days. Problem solved.

1. Staircase2 12 Jul 2011, 6:31pm

Exactly!
      Far cheaper too!
      I think all toilets should be unisex to start with

2. Problem? What problem?

3. Diddy – unfortunately the “problem” here is not single sex or unisex toilets, it’s ignorance and bigotry. The person refused access to the women’s toilet is a woman. She was refused access because she is a trans woman. The member of staff at Sainsbury’s was 100% in the wrong.

6. An apology is the least. It looks as if their staff need a bit of education on how to treat members of the public with respect and dignity.