How the News of the World threatened PinkNews after Ashley Cole expose

1. Well assuming it wasn’t those 2 guys that the story was originally about the NotW shouldn’t have been so careless as to use an actual picture of a footballer and a DJ in the story!

The NotW did some good work, but far too much of it was lazy and false and sleazy.

The problem is the public might be outraged about what they did, but they lapped up the stories that came as a result.

1. What good work did NOTW do Rovex? Just out of curiosity.

1. They have exposed Paedo rings, human trafficing rings, and helped in a few murder cases. Not everything they have done is bad. I dont read it by the way, but i am aware they have won journalism awards.

1. OK – I personally think Sarahs law was a bad idea that may have driven some paedophiles underground and made children less safe.
          They may have “helped” in some murder cases and exposed some political and crime stories – but look at the allegations stacked against them – immorality and illegality is not endorsed by a small number of successes.

2. Staircase2 12 Jul 2011, 1:24am

So quite a lot of rings then… lol
          …They’re big on rings…

2. concerned resident E3 9 Jul 2011, 8:42pm

they claim to have been behind “Sarah’s Law” which was introduced following their campaign. Personally I think Sarah’s Law is a piece of populist crap that was only enacted because our governments for almost 30 years have been running scared of the hostility that could be unleashed on them but these crooks.

1. Staircase2 12 Jul 2011, 1:25am

agreed

2. Spanner1960 9 Jul 2011, 9:56pm

Good work? They are even lower down the food chain than the Daily Mail, and that takes some beating. The Mail might be pretty loathsome a\t times, but it doesn’t need to fabricate stories or drag people through the mud to sell copy.

Even they would not lower themselves to the depths the NotW have in order to get a story by hacking child victim’s mobiles. I have always despised that rag above all and they got what they deserved.

Let’s not stop there though while we are on a roll, get that harpy Brooks jailed and crucify Murdoch and his empire.

1. Exactly Spanner. And as for that f–king fake sheikh guy, gimme a break, that was just one step up from out and out fabrication. NOTW obsessed over two things; paedos and page 3 girls and there’s a sick twisted psychology behind that. I wouldn’t wipe my @rse with that paper.

1. Im not saying I liked the paper, but the fact remains that they did save some lives and did win awards for journalism.

Those that did the good work will hopefully find jobs elsewhere and continue to do so.

1. They won awards for ‘journalism’. If you could call what they did journalism. As for saving lives, whose? And would they have done or written anything that wasn’t mainly to sell a whole pile of papers on a Sunday morning to people who couldn’t see beyond the tits and the three-in-a-bed romps?

2. Staircase2 12 Jul 2011, 1:26am

How bout all the lives they pushed over the edge though?

2. Actually the Daily Mail has and does fabricate stories. It has happened on more than one occasional that I know of. I have no idea if they’ve ever done anything worse or not, but I know they fabricate stories when it suits them.

3. What good things? I can’t think of a single ‘good thing’ that balances out the Evil things they have done. Good riddance is my opinion – I’m sorry people have lost jobs, but the country WILL be a better place without that rag.

2. ManchesterBoy 9 Jul 2011, 7:58pm

I think it was a fine piece of Journalism by the pink news which ‘outed’ the NOTW’s blatantly homophobic article. “Gay as you go”, they probably thought they could get away with it if they didn’t actually identify the people in the pic, but Pink News put them under proper scrutiny and rightly so! Well done Benjamin Cohen!!!

1. Although it would have been interesting to have seen what would have happenned if they had taken action against PN..PN didn’t identify Hague as the MP in question when he was accused of being gay even though it was a lot more obvious that this sitution who the person was…

I don’t like the Notw but I find really surprising that it can just close down so quickly, it’s not much notice to its employees who aren’t just made up of sleaze reporters eg cleaners, canteen workers etc. I thought a company had to go bankcrupt first before just closing down like that.

1. Don’t believe everything you read! The NOTW is NOTbeing closed down. It is going to be relaunched as The Sun on Sunday, with the same staff and editorial team as the NOTW. It is all just a very cynical marketing ploy by Murdoch to take the heat away from his protege Rebekah Wade and his son Rupert Murdoch. The Independent noted that the domain name http://www.sunonsunday.co.uk has recently been registered.

3. I literally hate News International. Every day I’m shocked by new revelations, I think it can’t get any worse and then it does…

1. I’m not surprised at all. Almost every newspaper that is corporate run or has an agenda will always be engaged in shady behavior and corruption.
      Heck I wouldn’t be surprised if PN is also involved in some corruption of its own.

1. Please do tell us which newspaper(s) could be free of the accusation that it ‘has an agenda’.

1. Private Eye is pretty much above corruption, IMO. Ian Hislop (editor) is the most sued person in the UK, I think that’s telling…

1. Private Eye is not a newspaper, it is a satirical magazine dealing with topical recent news stories.

2. It does investigative journalism, takes legal action to break superinjunctions (and hyperinjunctions) and exposes corruption. Yes, it presents it in a satirical way, but it’s deadly serious.

3. But, like most magazines and journals, its editorial policy could be described as ‘an agenda’ – it’s not necessarily a good or bad thing, it just is.

2. Shutup, you’re all crazy. Stop shouting in my head!

1. Staircase2 12 Jul 2011, 1:28am

Id see a Doctor about that if I were you….

3. Staircase2 12 Jul 2011, 1:28am

lol you doughnut – they dont have the budget for properly moderated commentary boards and you think theyre involved in corruption?! lol what with?

4. Hey PN,
    Follow the oh-so clever advice given to me by Will, and “get a thicker skin.”
    Get over it.

1. CORRECTION: it wasn’t Will, it was STU. Sorry.

1. ?!
        Um, you seem to have missed the point a bit there, pepa!

1. Pepa is an angry anti-gay-sex activist here to troll any way he can.

1. Sex obsessed, more like. He puts the lotion on the skin and then puts the lotion in the basket….

2. I simply love your obsessions Pepa, they make me laugh.

Oh, and by the way, I didn’t say “get a thicker skin”, I told you to seek medical help for the paranoid delusions you are suffering from….

3. Jock S. Trap 11 Jul 2011, 5:15pm

Sandstorms can’t keep an true idiot down, I see…Shame!

4. Staircase2 12 Jul 2011, 1:29am

oops!

2. Hey Pepa

I guess you are trying to comment on a story linked to the biggest news story (for years) to hit the UK which does clearly have relevance to PN.

The thing is PN aren’t whinging (unlike your usual comments) nor is it being derisory – and if anything its tactics were in the line of a free press (acting appropriately) and highlighting the immorality of the actions of the NOTW.

Your comment has no relevance whatsoever.

5. tha paper was as bigoted as the sun etc

if the paper was that good then why was people caught hacking and why is brooks still employed when the rest we’re sacked?

1. Spanner1960 10 Jul 2011, 12:11pm

Because Murdoch refused to accept her resignation, apparently.
      She is only a tool of a far bigger power. As Sean Lock said on TV the other night, “How could she not know about this? It’s like a butcher holding up a leg of lamb and saying ‘What do you mean, we had to kill an animal to get this? Nobody told me.”

2. I think Brooks probably has a lot of dirt on them hence not getting the sack but she will be hung out to dry when it suits them.

1. The longer she stays there the longer she deflects heat from James Murdoch, and if she continues to act the victim and plays the corporate line she may even find herself with a nice promotion to an exec job with News Corp. itself in the US.

BTW, I noticed some stagework with her picking up a knocked over photographer this weekend. The sad thing is a few saps will think she’s a nicer person for that, rather than seeing it for what is was.

6. Good riddance to a scurrilous rag but I do feel sorry for the staff innocent of the hacking. It is plain that the Murdochs are utterly ruthless and have thrown all these people to the wolves with the quaint notion that their rage will not touch them. Their domination of our press is a threat to democracy and, it seems, even the rule of law. Strict laws against media monopolies must be brought in now.

7. Paddyswurds 10 Jul 2011, 2:38pm

Anyone who thinks the NOTW has gone away is a deluded fool. The name will change of course, probably to The Sun on Sunday, but only for a short time and when the stink dies down, the NOTW will suddenly arise, Phoenix like from the ashes, to ride roughshod over the laws of the UK once again.

8. Pink news should of paid damges, as they were part of the matter. Lets hope theres a round and we can drive homosexuals underground..

1. pepprelldome 11 Jul 2011, 6:30pm

Oh. Your not very nice, are you? That’s OK though… plenty more people than you that don’t hate on somebody for some stupid reason

2. “Pink news should of paid damges, as they were part of the matter. Lets hope theres a round and we can drive homosexuals underground.”

Oh, dear Matt. Didn’t bother with English class in school? The only thing you demonstrated with that badly written travesty of a comment is that bigots are invariably stupid.

1. Absolutely, Will

Makes you think of knuckles dragging along the ground

9. Jock S. Trap 11 Jul 2011, 5:13pm

Goodbye News of the World and Good Riddance!

1. Here here. Murdoch – like that other crook Maxwell – has at last got his karma for all the nasty vicious sexist, racist, homophobic bile and tittle tattle his toilet papers have spewed out for decades; claiming lives along the way. Lest we forget what the Sun did to Justin Fashanu. It was that evil cow Rebekah hatchetface who came up with the “Bonkers (Frank) Bruno” headline. As for the name and shaming of paedophiles campaign – it was described as “grossly irresponsible” journalism by the Chief Constable of Gloucs when they casually named the wrong ppl who were then victimised; a paediatrician was attacked by NotW readers who didnt know the difference between a paedophile and a paediatrician. Hopefully, this might raise the tone of the british press for once and about bloody time.