Lady Gaga: ‘I don’t use the gay community to sell records’

1. ‘I don’t use the gay community to sell records’ – LOL

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Jul 2011, 11:14am

Don’t people in the Gay community have minds of their own?

1. You should pick up a business book, or listen to a successful business person talk. Attaching yourself to a cause, significantly increases customer loyalty (her fans). She has said before, that the LGBT community make up a big part of her fan base, & she is fame obsessed – you can’t deny that. This helps to maintain her popularity; within her big LGBT base.

1. She has also proven herself as a few savy business woman. Signing agreements with: Google, Polaroid,Coca-cola, Virgin and many others. She is only bothered about herself.

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Jul 2011, 9:17am

“She is only bothered about herself”

Who just happens to also be Bisexual.

She doesn’t need to “latch on”.

2. Jock S. Trap 7 Jul 2011, 9:16am

But she hasn’t force fans to be fans that has been a choice.

Also being Bisexual herself doesn’t she have a natural right to fight for Rights for herself too?

We do seem to be biting the hand of help here and I question again, do we really need to question who we want as supportive?

They’re there and willing so let them, thats what I say!

2. She is one clever and honest business woman and deserves all respect and every penny. Supporting LGBT could seriously damage her music deals but she has balls. And a marvellous mind. Santa Gaga. Reminds me a lot of Queens of Stonewall. A true fighter.

2. World’s most influential gay rights campaigner? I’m sure Peter Tatchell will be thrilled with that. I’d like to see her try and do a citizen’s arrest on the likes of Mugabe. As for; “And we just held each other and cried. Anyone who says that I’m not genuine is not interested in overcoming this fight. That was such a pure and wonderful moment that we shared, and I remember thinking, There’s no album sale, no number 1, that could compete with this moment”. Pass the sick bucket. And if we don’t think she’s genuine then we’re not interested in overcoming this fight??!! Now there’s a sweeping generalisation. Just cause we don’t go by her rules or swallow the Gaga philosophy WE’RE the threat to equality. She’s cut from the same cloth as Lola Olsen, if you don’t agree with her you’re a racist. Heaven save us from petulant obnoxious yank fag hags.

1. Peter Thatchell is more UK based. Gaga is known around the world.

2. I think there is a degree of cynicism with regards to Lady Gaga. We can’t just accept that someone wants to use their influence to help and assist us.

Good on her, at least she’s tried. More than what some of you bit*hes have done.

Although this bit did make me cringe:

“He was afraid that he would be discharged and that he would be judged or found out. [He said] that the fight in America against ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ and the fight for equality made him feel stronger and made him feel safe, and he gave me his service jacket.”

1. @Mendirin. I wonder how he explained away the absence of service jacket to his commanding officer when he got back to the barracks? ‘I was in a Wal Mart and ran in to Lady Gaga, she was buying a frozen chicken, pipe cleaners and some umbrellas for another costume and I was stocking up on ID Glide, we both had a good cry over stuff and I gave her part of my uniform, but I’m not gay so don’t ask’.

3. Lady Gaga is cheap publicity wh*re and a liar.

1. I’m not sure how that differentiates her form any other celebrates.

4. Jock S. Trap 6 Jul 2011, 11:13am

I don’t for a minute think she does.

She is a voice that I for one is very greatful for.
    Can we really afford to pick and choose those who are supportive?

Isn’t that cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face?

I think with many of the camplainers this has nothing to do with selling records but more to do with bitter jealousy over clearly a verbal, talented young woman who is being heard.

1. Do you believe what everyone tells you, if they are successful?

1. she is also getting very rich as a result. You seemed to have forgotten that.

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Jul 2011, 9:21am

Fine so you feel it’s right to pick and choose who we have as supporters.

It doesn’t matter that the cause actually affects her too, being that she is Bisexual.

You either want people supportive or you don’t.

You clearly don’t whereas I certainly do.

I’m certainly no fan of her music but I am a big fan of how she is willing to stand up and speak out esp when she takes a risk of the heterosexual community boycotting her.

I guess tolerance goes two ways, or in your case intolerance.

5. Its so sad that people brush off her influence. she tries to help us and in return she gets bashed. Also as a bisexual women myself I feel that, just like with me, people don’t believe her when she says she is bisexual, just imagine if, no matter what you said, people didnt believe you were LGBT and called YOU a liar.

At the very least she supports us and is actively involved in activism, using her fame FOR the gay community. She harrassed the NY politicians to get them to vote for equality, one politcian claiming outright that gaga nearly changed his mind (don’t work everytime unfortunatly). Imagine how many potential minds shes changed. even if its just one then its worth it.

6. marjangles 6 Jul 2011, 11:52am

Who cares why she is doing it so long as she is doing it in the first place! If her actions manage to propel the cause of gay rights forwards does it matter that she only did it to sell more records, does it somehow make those rights less valid because her motives weren’t totally selfless? I’m glad that someone so high profile is on our side.

7. I’m by no means a Gaga fan but damn it she cannot win with some people! At least she is doing something, alot more than 99% of the LGBT community themselves I bet.

A question to those criticising her … would you rather she didn’t bring attention to LGBT issues? Didn’t support LGBT causes? Didn’t rally for change? Would you rather she was “rolling around in Rolls-Royces, buying mansions for myself”?

It seems that any celebrity who supports a cause (not restricyed to LGBT, but those seem the most willing to attck said celebrity for doing so) gets accused of ‘using’ it to enhance their careers. The same people who criticise Gaga are those that are calling for more footballers to come out, more A-list hollywood celebs to come out. With responses such as this can you blame them for staying in the closet?

8. dont we all have our own opinion and musical taste? the problem here is not with gaga but more with who asked her the question.

9. theotherone 6 Jul 2011, 12:25pm

lets face it – the big problem here is Biphobia against Gaga.

1. definitely theotherone.
      too many of the gay community are just jealous bitches and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if biphobia is the reason

10. Sick bitch.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Jul 2011, 12:56pm

Wow, yet another idiot.

Who’d have thought we’d attract so many.

1. fetishgrl 6 Jul 2011, 3:13pm

homophobic I’m embarrassed for you

2. fetishgrl 6 Jul 2011, 3:14pm

someone people just cant handle the box they live in……its really quite sad

11. Jen Marcus 6 Jul 2011, 1:09pm

I don’t get it? You folks want people to support our cause then you slam and accuse them of insidious evil intent ,acts and behavior when they do, what kind of insanity is that? Listen people, we need all the allies we can muster! Get with the program! She is world recognized personality and she is willing to help our cause so stop undermining her and YOU go out and make a visible contribution and a difference.With respect to Peter Tatchell, HE IS THE MAN, AND HE IS AWESOME!

12. It’s. 2 way symbiosis. She supports the lgbt community and they in turn support her.

The fact that makes me believe in her was she came out against prop 8 when she first for famous before all the other celebs jumped on the band wagon. She put her career on the line and that is cool

13. Anyone who believes that a singer can sell more records by campaigning in favor of gay rights knows nothing of the music business. Every time Gaga says an LGBT supportive word she risks sales to a heterosexual audience that is over 9 times as large as the gay population, many of which loathe or at least dislike us. She has done more for us in the last year than Madonna has in her entire career.

1. You make one vast assumption there! Her fan base isn’t equally spend amongst the general population. She has acknowledged herself, that the LGBT community make up a large chunk of her fan base. Supporting LGBT rights, will therefore cement her relationship with a big chunk of her fan base.

1. SFMuscular 6 Jul 2011, 5:21pm

I made no incorrect assumptions. Her acknowledgement of the support of her fans has nothing to do with record sales. LGBT people make up less than 3% of the global record buying market. She has had records banned in several countries because of her political activism and she’s even being attacked here. No singer in world history has been so vocal and persistent in supporting LGBT rights. Madonna never publically rebuked Senator McCain for opposing the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. Fifty years from now she’ll be remembered for her civil rights activism as much as her music, in the same way that Nina Simone is remembered for both. Gaga would remain the biggest pop star in the world even if not a single LGBT person ever purchased another one of her records. We should show some grace and humility and simply thank her.

1. I don’t doubt Gaga’s influence in LGBT rights, I doubt her motivation.

2. Jock S. Trap 7 Jul 2011, 9:25am

Matthew
        So how come ‘Born This Way’ was number one in the US for a few weeks?

Not everyone buying it must have been Gay, Lesbian etc…

It seems you underestimate people and the choices They make for themselves.

14. Would people rather she not support us? It seems complete madness to vilify someone for doing good. How can you possibly judge her intentions, you don’t know her. She is successful because people in their millions go out and BUY her songs/albums…. how is that her fault? The media absolutely love her, and so do a huge number of people around the world… how is that a bad thing? What a load of sour, bitter old gay men you sound like. When someone is homophobic you moan about that, when someone is a strong supporter of our so-called community you moan at them for that. If I was an influential straight person looking at this comment thread I sure wouldn’t bother.

1. SFMuscular 6 Jul 2011, 7:37pm

I think your comment is entirely fair. I have no reason to question her motivation and even if I did, I would still be grateful to her and embarrassed by those who have questioned her motives.

15. Samuel Kestu 7 Jul 2011, 11:15am

You sell records because of the quality of your work and because people love your songs and your music.

But I don’t see anything wrong with using the “gay community” to sell records. Let people use the LGBT communities to sell records and the more the better!

Anybody remember David Bowie? I sometimes wondered if he claimed he was bisexual just to boost record sales.

But wasn’t his music fabulous?

And isn’t Lady Gaga fabulous?

16. Gay Daily Mail Reader 7 Jul 2011, 12:49pm

People buy records because they like the music. While I have enjoyed bands such as ABBA, Queen and the Pet Shop Boys who are all popular with the LGBT community, I also liked ‘straight’ acts such as Ultravox, Blondie, Marillion, Big Country and the Pogues. I even like Dire Straits even though the Canadian Broadcasting Standards Committee recently ruled that their 1985 record, ‘Money For Nothing’ is no longer suitable for broadcast due to an outdated reference to gay people! Incidently I like Lady GaGa (I’m 45) and she has been called the New Madonna.

17. ‘I don’t use the gay community to sell records’ – Well, of course she does. Every successful Diva has. This doesn’t mean that her work on GLBT issues isn’t genuine. But let’s not confuse there two things.